Michael will be in "we are the world

The standouts for me (aside from MJ) were Pink, Mary J. Blige (sp?), Orianthi on guitar, Celine (sort of), Fergie and I never thought I would say this but...Miley Cyrus (bite my tongue). Must be the auto tune.

Last edited:
Okay, the longer version is a BIG transformation. The song just went up a whole lotta notches for me. Much MUCH better.

Hmmm....I think I actually LIKE it. :eek:

Hmmmm.....Not bad at all. Nice surprise to see Michael singing his part of the bridge, too. :wub:

Hmmm......... I think I've gone from "Meh...hot mess but it's for a good cause and continues Michael's message" to genuinely liking it. There's some really good voices in there. My endorphins are doing a mini-happy dance. Yay!

Are there two versions?

long version and short version?

Apparently Quincy hasn't been quiet the same producer ever since he left Michael.. (...) Quincy's vain attempts to ''create'' and introduce the world a ''new Michael Jackson' in the 1990s are not forgotten.. e.g. Tevin Campbell

lol...i know..quite frankly, i almost felt too intimidated to be real, in this thread, for some obvious reasons..but..i'll pass on the fear. considering all the work i ever listened to, i feel Michael was the producer of all his own albums. that is truly how i feel. Quincy's name, just happened to be on a couple of them.

Is it me or did i jus see orianthi from this is it in that video playing the guitar?

The original will always be better, but I personally thought this was great. It has the flavor that is most popular these days...and I think even Michael would be satisfied with it - especially since it's to support a good cause, just as the original was.

My opinion anyway. :) I'll shuffle out of here now before I get rocks thrown at me. :ninja:

Edit: I also loved that Orianthi and 3T were there.

After watching the whole video, I don't think it sounds THAT horrible, However, I still think Janet should have done that first part by herself...without the split screen. If they had done that and then kept the second part right before the bridge where MJ comes in just as it was...it would have looked better.

The full version is a lil better. But still a devastation. :(

MJ would not approve:no:

Are there two versions?

long version and short version?

Yes. And by all means, DO avoid the short version. :lol: It's a full blown hatchet job and doesn't do the whole song justice, imo.

I actually thought that they were just gonna put on mjs voice and have janet sing along with that

Okay, the longer version is a BIG transformation. The song just went up a whole lotta notches for me. Much MUCH better.

It just baffles me why they aired the short version to premiere this. Apparently they will air the full version on NBC tomorrow but it should have been tonight when they have everybody's attention with the opening ceremonies (I switched over to Larry King, lol).

Some comments off youtube....

mjjd12
well they can atleast make it better ! not ruined it ! or bring the classic one for sale to dnoate too ! this whole song is joke. a joke to music, a joke to MJ

TofuPuppets
Dear MJ I apologize on the behalf of everybody for this !!! Dear Haitians I'm sorry you deserved better. Forgive us

StreeterTV (1 minute ago)
yuckkkkk this new one is crap =/ the only good thing is they kept the Mj part

vmp43
this should have been left ALONE< they totally lost the essence of the original with all the rap, autone and the way the producers faild to blend the voices in, this is all over the place, And look at all the legends there who didn sing, GLADYS KNIGHT PEOPLE!!

brknpromise
I love how everybody is just hating on people shows how respectable some of us are

Brandon0828
are you fucking kidding me Lil Wayne? I hate the world now I'm not apart of it don't use "we" lol

It seems people are just as torn up as we are between helping Haiti and messing with a classic song...

MySerenity5;2618788[B said:
TofuPuppets
Dear MJ I apologize on the behalf of everybody for this !!! Dear Haitians I'm sorry you deserved better. Forgive us [/B]

:clapping::clapping:

This person said it best!

It's for a good cause, BUT will always be compared to the original.

That's one of the reasons they should have just written a NEW song, which could have stood on it's on merits.

I'm sure we ain't the only folks who are starring after watching that "production."

Lil Wayne, Lord help us! LOL!
I AGREE!

apparently, Quincy isn't the producer he used to be..

i never felt guilty about giving to charity, before, and i'm not gunna start now. i'm not supposed to feel that way. and if someone is fundraising, correctly, i wouldn't feel guilty about giving...as if i have to.

so...i'm glad i used another method of giving to Haiti, cus, i can't listen to that remake, a second time. i felt preached at. so i'm not buying it.

and the first version didn't preach to me. it made me feel like jumping up and buying it, and not think about why i was buying it. and that's the way it's supposed to be. whoever that was 'singing' in a yelling manner, really hurt my ears.

and the raps didn't work for me, and made me feel like i would be a bad guy, who loves to diss rap, for not liking this. and that's just wrong, cus i love rap. i feel like i'm doing Michael, and the people of Haiti wrong, cus he's in this video, and it's just like the original, and he, of course, sounds beautiful and i don't want to buy it..so...i'll just buy the original, to make up for it. i can't even hear Janet. it feels almost as if Quincy was telling her..'i'm doin u a favor'.

a charity event is not supposed to screw with my emotions like this. and this one does.

sorry, Celine...cus u sound good, too.

So True!

if it weren't for the rap, Wyclef and that autotune guy I would have liked it more. I think they should have just rereleased the original.

I don't understand why they just didn't release the original- they ruined it for me.

I really think that originally they weren't going to have Michael in it. We were here in this board all upset about the fact they were going to remake it and at the time no one had mentioned Michael in it. But I guess maybe Katherine or the estate at the last minute asked them to include Michael which they(Quincy, producers etal) should have in the first place. After all the song was written by Michael (90% of it) and he owns the song!

I honestly have mixed feelings about the whole thing!

It just baffles me why they aired the short version to premiere this. Apparently they will air the full version on NBC tomorrow but it should have been tonight when they have everybody's attention with the opening ceremonies (I switched over to Larry King, lol).

Agree. And they need to BURN the short version. Never play that mess again. If ever there was a video that needed to be taken off youtube over and over again, it's the short version. I swear, fans need to report it for copyright violation everytime we find it on there. No one should see that. It totally robs the remake of its beauty, imo.

If you want to laugh just watch Jamie's and Lil Wayne's part. Celine, Mary Mary and Miley (yes Miley) were good. Wyclef, bro, just sing and stop yelling. I don't know about the rapping part, Kanye would have probably done better if Beyonce was there, lolol. Shit starting going downhill after T-Pain's mess, WTF was that, really. I'mm download this song though.

But they had a footage of michael

I thought it was just gonna be michaels voice alone.

i guess, i heard and saw the long version..and, in it, Michael's voice is alone, on that part, and Janet appears in image form, moving her lips, but nothing is coming out..or..at least..is heard. so..MJ's voice is heard alone...and his image is there, with Janet's image.

i still can listen to michael jacksons demo version all day long and love it so much!! Man what has music become?! its all bloody vocoders on there voices! (lil wayne t pain and kanye west) and that rap was awefull! looked like they was going into a fight!

i guess, i heard and saw the long version..and, in it, Michael's voice is alone, on that part, and Janet appears in image form, moving her lips, but nothing is coming out..or..at least..is heard. so..MJ's voice is heard alone...

oh ok

Agree. And they need to BURN the short version. Never play that mess again. If ever there was a video that needed to be taken off youtube over and over again, it's the short version. I swear, fans need to report it for copyright violation everytime we find it on there. No one should see that. It totally robs the remake of its beauty, imo.

see..that's what makes me appreciate that MJ did more than just sing, in a studio session. and wasn't going to leave with something with his name on it, where he actually participated in the making of it. no matter how radio people edited it, or let the long version play..if MJ produced it...it still came out right.

I don't understand why they just didn't release the original- they ruined it for me.

Because the original is already released and available for the last 25 years. You could buy it anytime you want. So they can't re-release it. Probably TV stations , radio stations etc would not give air time for a 25 year old song either.

Back