Miguel to Perform a Michael Jackson Tribute at Grammys

I mean if Kendrick did win it, then I'd be happy for him and at the end of the day, I wouldn't really mind (I could say that Michael held it for 3 decades now which is still something in itself), but it's a pretty significant achievement especially to hold for over three decades so I don't think it's really getting butthurt if MJ fans are disappointed in a respectful manner. I mean, I also don't get the "a black man dethroning another" thing but hey.

How come? Aren't they just a Facebook page who leaks something every once in a while? (and maybe the odd fake teaser *hint hint OTW*).

there are certain fan sites that are censored, I'm not sure why

I don't mean to complain about Michael getting a tribute, I mean, that's always great...but he didn't die recently, like Natalie Cole did, and she didn't even get a tribute. I don't think that's fair at all

MJ's tribute was very short, so I don't that's especially what made a Natalie Cole tribute impossible. Lionel Richie did not die either and he was given a BIG tribute. But I don't think one has to do with another. They just should have tributed Natalie Cole, period.

About Miguel’s tribute, 30 seconds or less, it was beautiful… better than Gaga’s tribute to David, IMHO. I wish she would do just one song, instead so many, so bad.

MJ's tribute was very short, so I don't that's especially what made a Natalie Cole tribute impossible. Lionel Richie did not die either and he was given a BIG tribute. But I don't think one has to do with another. They just should have tributed Natalie Cole, period.

I didn't mean they gave MJ one INSTEAD of her...or that it would be impossible to give her one, because of that. just that it's unfair to not give her one, but give others? especially since she died recently

The performance wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
It simply exists and happened.

I hear Miguel's tribute for mj was like 30 seconds.........:(

I reckon mj deserves more than short 30 second tribute

well, sure, but he didn't die this year. I'm surprised there was any sort of tribute at all, actually.

I hear Miguel's tribute for mj was like 30 seconds.........:(

I reckon mj deserves more than short 30 second tribute

A re-release of an album was lucky to get 30 seconds in fairness.

Miguel is a good singer but went a bit overkill no? Not my cup of tea.

Who on earth in their right mind would would want to watch The King being dethroned!? Kendrick himself said he didn't want to beat Michael and acknowledged his legendary status and how great he is.

uOLJS-hhboLcSLx9x94KQGX85cS-cKPCa1s7pbiaRuAySmumidcRSy-ofPNahD8-PEgCZVgYaN3kqdIcj3Rjyy43gVboM9M_NLwhaqQ=w309-h215-nc

I know what he said, I just want to be able to be apart of a new legacy. Some people here were kids when they saw Michael win the Grammys that night. I want to be able to take part in the same thing.

:coffee: You want the flack, because you're whoring for attention and you see disrespecting Mike (and insulting his fans on a website dedicated to him) as a cheap avenue to do so.

tapatalk_1453938779099_zpswvmsabqt.gif

No, I was stating my honest opinion. I don't give a crap about attention, I spoke my peace.

TheManinTheMirror;4135841 said:
I know what he said, I just want to be able to be apart of a new legacy. Some people here were kids when they saw Michael win the Grammys that night. I want to be able to take part in the same thing.

No disrespect, but I see this mentality all over today. That people want to jump on a bandwagon of an artist only "to be a part of his/her legacy". I saw people say that about Adele's 25 album: that they buy it because they want to be a part of a record she sets (not even because they actually like it). I don't know but to me it's an odd reason to support any artist. I don't even feel it's legit to say anyone other than the artist and his/her crew can claim to be a part of that artists legacy. And when MJ and other legendary artists of the past broke records I have never seen such a mentality or these kind of considerations even being on people's minds. I was simply happy for whenever MJ won or broke a record, but it wasn't about ME being a part of anything. It was his achievement, not mine, it never even crossed my mind that buying his album, supporting him somehow makes me a part of his legacy. LOL.

I guess this young generation has some sort of jealousy of older generations being able to witness truly great artists and they became somehow desperate to build their own legends, even if it has to be in a somewhat contrived way. It's just weird to me, but I often see this mentality in young people lately.

Anyway, back to the Grammys, they tweeted this:

The GRAMMYs
@TheGRAMMYs

#GRAMMYTrivia @michaeljackson’s ‘Off The Wall’ was inducted into the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame in 2008

CbTc4CmVAAEz2Ry.jpg

The GRAMMYs
@TheGRAMMYs

Michael Jackson’s influence lives on today. #GRAMMYs

CbTdECuUkAE6ZKT.jpg

CbTdEjOUUAEiVjM.png

respect77;4135843 said:
No disrespect, but I see this mentality all over today. That people want to jump on a bandwagon of an artist only "to be a part of his/her legacy". I saw people say that about Adele's 25 album: that they buy it because they want to be a part of a record she sets (not even because they actually like it). I don't know but to me it's an odd reason to support any artist. I don't even feel it's legit to say anyone other than the artist and his/her crew can claim to be a part of that artists legacy. And when MJ and other legendary artists of the past broke records I have never seen such a mentality or these kind of considerations even being on people's minds. I was simply happy for whenever MJ won or broke a record, but it wasn't about ME being a part of anything. It was his achievement, not mine, it never even crossed my mind that buying his album, supporting him somehow makes me a part of his legacy. LOL.

I guess this young generation has some sort of jealousy of older generations being able to witness truly great artists and they became somehow desperate to build their own legends, even if it has to be in a somewhat contrived way. It's just weird to me, but I often see this mentality in young people lately.

Anyway, back to the Grammys, they tweeted this:

The GRAMMYs
@TheGRAMMYs

#GRAMMYTrivia @michaeljackson’s ‘Off The Wall’ was inducted into the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame in 2008

CbTc4CmVAAEz2Ry.jpg

The GRAMMYs
@TheGRAMMYs

Michael Jackson’s influence lives on today. #GRAMMYs

CbTdECuUkAE6ZKT.jpg

CbTdEjOUUAEiVjM.png

Yeah, I'm not jumping on a bandwagon for Kendrick, I've been a fan since GKMC and I'm just very upset with the fact that he was snubbed from what I was hoping to be his night. But it was in a sense since he won the most Grammys! Michael's influence is timeless I was just stating my thinking in that. Even though he doesn't want to beat MJ's record, I think personally, for me it'd be really cool to see. Not only someone beat MJ but another African American do so. I figured he wouldn't, but it was just a wild hope I guess.

Obvious troll is obvious

I wasn't trying to be a troll. I honestly didn't mean to come across that way, and saying "butthurt" wasn't the right word. I didn't really think about that. I had just learned about him not winning AOTY which personally ticked me off. Him being Kendrick. I had a lot of anger and aggravation about that.

Yeah, I'm not jumping on a bandwagon for Kendrick, I've been a fan since GKMC and I'm just very upset with the fact that he was snubbed from what I was hoping to be his night. But it was in a sense since he won the most Grammys! Michael's influence is timeless I was just stating my thinking in that. Even though he doesn't want to beat MJ's record, I think personally, for me it'd be really cool to see. Not only someone beat MJ but another African American do so. I figured he wouldn't, but it was just a wild hope I guess.

How was he snubbed? He won 5 awards - the most this year. Is that being snubbed now? LOL.

I'll probably regret posting on here again as I always do...
Yeah, I would too if I wrote what you did. And I don't believe you wrote what you did, for other reasons than for attention or to troll. You know damn well writing that on an mj message board is gonna cause trouble. You even said it yourself: I WILL GET FLACK FROM PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE BUTTHURT MJ FANS!!!!

I wasn't trying to be a troll. I honestly didn't mean to come across that way, and saying "butthurt" wasn't the right word. I didn't really think about that. I had just learned about him not winning AOTY which personally ticked me off. Him being Kendrick. I had a lot of anger and aggravation about that.

While I don't agree with what you said (and this is from a fan of Kendrick as well), I didn't think you were a troll, if that means anything.

aww, this comment made me kinda sad. It flashed me back to that night when I was screaming with pride. It was really thrilling and I'm sorry for everybody who couldn't experience it in real time. It's an experience that I couldn't describe in words.

I read a bunch of press about the Grammys and apparently Kendrick performed a song making a social statement. Anybody see it? Was it good. I was very disappointed with the Bowie trubute. I think Gaga should have done one to three songs tops.
Very disappointed with the Natalie Cole tribute. Ken Ehrlic said her Grammy performance with her father was her tribute as well as the perfect way to end In Memoriam. Maybe, but she deserved more. She's music royalty.

I'm amazed that Taylor Swift has won 2 albums of the year, but she impressed me with her speech. She's all grown up since 2009.
The Grammys are a good show. Only award show that I think should be longer. All those Hall of Fame and Lifetime achievement awards just flashed by.

No, but Kendrick himself said he didn't want to even top Michael's nominations. One can strongly assume that he isn't a big fan of passing Thriller's 8-win record either

He deserves all this recognition and success though, he's incredible (should go without saying that of course, I don't want him to surpass Michael haha).

I honestly don't know who he is. I heard the name few times but didn't know he's a big thing now. I'm not into rap music so I don't keep track about who's who in that category. Glad he didn't match or top MJ's record. That record should stay unbeaten forever.

Nice words from him. You can see his love and respect for MJ and the game. Truly respectful. That's an example how artist should behave and not like Kanye West.

aww, this comment made me kinda sad. It flashed me back to that night when I was screaming with pride. It was really thrilling and I'm sorry for everybody who couldn't experience it in real time. It's an experience that I couldn't describe in words.

I read a bunch of press about the Grammys and apparently Kendrick performed a song making a social statement. Anybody see it? Was it good. I was very disappointed with the Bowie trubute. I think Gaga should have done one to three songs tops.
Very disappointed with the Natalie Cole tribute. Ken Ehrlic said her Grammy performance with her father was her tribute as well as the perfect way to end In Memoriam. Maybe, but she deserved more. She's music royalty.

I'm amazed that Taylor Swift has won 2 albums of the year, but she impressed me with her speech. She's all grown up since 2009.
The Grammys are a good show. Only award show that I think should be longer. All those Hall of Fame and Lifetime achievement awards just flashed by.

http://www.rickey.org/kendrick-lama...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Kendrick was ridiculously good... I barely like rap. He was something else!

I honestly don't know who he is. I heard the name few times but didn't know he's a big thing now. I'm not into rap music so I don't keep track about who's who in that category. Glad he didn't match or top MJ's record. That record should stay unbeaten forever.

Nice words from him. You can see his love and respect for MJ and the game. Truly respectful. That's an example how artist should behave and not like Kanye West.

He also references MJ alot in his songs. Calling him a leader and saying he was innocent. The thing about Kendrick is that he is not the post 2010 gimmicky rapper, his subjects has a lot of substance and covers issues such as, equality, racism, foreign affairs, political affairs, societal issues, minority groups and he balances it out with some innocuous flighty songs. That kendrick won so big last night is a big, big win for real hip hop. All the more power to him.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would too if I wrote what you did. And I don't believe you wrote what you did, for other reasons than for attention or to troll. You know damn well writing that on an mj message board is gonna cause trouble. You even said it yourself: I WILL GET FLACK FROM PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE BUTTHURT MJ FANS!!!!

Believe what you want, I don't care.

He also references MJ alot in his songs. Calling him a leader and saying he was innocent. The thing about Kendrick is that he is not the post 2010 gimmicky rapper, his subject has a lot of substance and covers issues such as, equality, racism, foreign affairs, political affairs, societal issues, minority groups and he balances it out with some innocuous flighty songs. That kendrick won so big last night is a big, big win for real hip hop. All the more power to him.

Nice to know that such artists still exist and not just the ones like Rihanna, Pitbull & Kanye singing and rapping about drugs, f*ucking women & partying. That doesn't mean I'll start listen to him, I just don't like rap music. Maybe if he crossover like Kanye did with 808s & Heartbreak.

How was he snubbed? He won 5 awards - the most this year. Is that being snubbed now? LOL.

No being snubbed for AOTY over a Woman who has already won. Her record was okay, TPAB did something records now a days don't do. His album was art, it is art and will always be art. 1989 isn't art, it's a Pop Star's wet dream.

Kendrick killed it last night!! he really is something special.. the way he combines hip hop with a passionate theatrical execution is something fresh and deep..

don't know who he is...don't care

Just watching Grammys. Taylor Swift proved that she has nothing to offer except pretty face and a nice smile. Without all the gimmicks and media propaganda she's just an average pop flick. Her performance was just bland.

Back