MJ Bizniz news...let's keep it in this thread for months o come

Music publishing's steady cash lures investors
Thu Apr 23, 2009

By Yinka Adegoke - Analysis

Skeptics might believe the music industry's best days are behind it, but some institutional investors are snapping up catalogs of published songs that provide steady, recurring cash flows.

Pension funds and private equity firms have recently invested in some high-profile music assets, sparking concern by some industry executives that these nonstrategic investors could push up the prices of the best song catalogs.

Dutch fund ABP, the world's third-largest state pension fund, this week bought the legendary Rodgers & Hammerstein catalog of songs from musicals including "The Sound of Music" and "The King and I." Industry executives estimate the deal to be worth around $200 million.

ABP's move came less than two weeks after private equity firm Pegasus Capital paid an estimated $55 million for Spirit Music Group, a song publisher with rights to some of the works of artists ranging from Frank Sinatra to Madonna.

"These funds have got a lot more cash than any music company and that will keep the prices of these catalogs above market rates," said an executive who requested anonymity because his company had kicked the tires at Rodgers & Hammerstein.

Music publishers make money by exploiting the rights of their song catalogs. They get paid every time a song is played on the radio, in TV shows, in movies, at the theater, in video games and in advertisements to name a few outlets.

Song catalogs do not necessarily promise huge returns on investment, but rather regular cash flow from a business with relatively low capital expenditure compared with the more volatile venture capital-like model of record labels, which hope for hit songs to make most of their profits.

For example, at Warner Music Group's (WMG.N) publishing unit Warner/Chappell, revenue grew steadily at a rate of 7.6 percent between 2006 and 2008. During that same period, Warner Music's recorded music revenue rose, then fell, then rose again with the average being a decline of 1.9 percent a year.

"Publishers have a huge diversity of revenues," said Roger Faxon, chief executive of EMI Publishing. "At EMI, even as CDs sales shrink we continue to see our revenues grow every year."

NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS

ABP is unfazed by the troubles that have faced other music investors such as private equity firm Terra Firma TERA.UL which this year had to write down half the value of its 2.6 billion euro ($3.42 billion) acquisition of EMI Group in 2007. Warner Music was taken public by Chief Executive Edgar Bronfman Jr in 2005 with backing from private equity firms, and its shares trade at less than $5 today, a far cry from its $17 float price. The private equity investors, however, made their money back through a dividend payment.

With U.S. CD sales down by nearly a third last year, the recorded music industry continues to struggle with piracy and the move by consumers to digital songs.

That has not deterred ABP from the financial potential of song publishing. The pension fund set up a 5 billion euro ($6.57 billion) innovative asset unit last year to take direct holdings in new types of alternative investments.

In partnership with CP Masters run by Andre de Raaff, ABP has bought song catalogs from Vivendi's (VIV.PA) Universal Music Group and the classical music catalog of Boosey & Hawkes in just over a year. It now has more than 200,000 pieces of music with annual revenue of over 100 million euros.

"Intellectual property like music publishing rights offers stable cash flows protected against inflation," said Rein Kronenberg, senior counsel at ABP's asset management unit.

"This diversifies our risk," said Kronenberg, whose fund had 217 billion euros at the start of 2008. "Publishing has a smaller correlation with traditional asset classes like listed securities."

But managing the rights to millions of songs and thousands of songwriters is not as easy as it looks, said Marty Bandier, chief executive of Sony/ATV, a publisher jointly owned by Sony Corp and pop star Michael Jackson.

"What any financial investor does with publishing assets is crucial because you need to market and promote those songs on a 24-7 basis," said Bandier. "We're still buyers in this market and when these investors decide they want to sell we'll be here to pick those songs up."

Song catalogs are sometimes valued at a multiple of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), usually between eight and 12 times, said executives. On that basis, Warner/Chappell would be worth more than $1 billion, whereas its parent Warner Music's market capitalization is currently only about $726 million.

However, most catalogs are valued on a net publisher share (NPS) basis, which is the gross publishing revenue collected after paying royalties to songwriters. Executives said catalogs like the Rodgers & Hammerstein's are valued between seven to 14 times NPS.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSTRE53M6TK20090423

Universal Music inks deal for Hendrix catalog

By Ed Christman
NEW YORK (Billboard) - Universal Music Publishing Group has become the exclusive administrator of the Jimi Hendrix catalog throughout the world outside the United States.
The five-year agreement covers all commercial opportunities, including synchronization licensing for motion pictures, TV, advertising and other media.
Universal Music Publishing replaces Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which had administered the Hendrix catalog outside the United States since 1998. The U.S. publishing rights will continue to be handled by Experience Hendrix, the Seattle company formed in 1995 by the guitarist's late father, James "Al" Hendrix, and now headed by Jimi Hendrix's sister Janie Hendrix, who is president/CEO.
"Janie has done an amazing job of keeping the music and Hendrix's legacy alive," said Universal Music Publishing chairman/CEO David Renzer. "They have a great reissue program in place and they are doing a great job of protecting his legacy."
"Overall, it was a wonderful deal they offered us," Hendrix said. "Everything has to come through me for approval." She added that she will ensure that any new opportunities "uphold the standard of the music."
The Hendrix catalog -- which includes such songs as "Purple Haze," "Crosstown Traffic" and "Voodoo Child" -- remains a perennial strong seller. In the United States, the catalog sells about a half-million copies annually, putting worldwide sales at 1.2 million, Billboard estimates. Song downloads of the artist's music grew from 800,000 in the United States in 2007 to 915,000 last year, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
"Artists gravitate to his songs," Renzer said. "He has been covered by everyone from Eric Clapton to John Mayer."
Meanwhile, the artist's recording catalog appears poised to continue expanding, with Hendrix noting that Experience Hendrix has "10 more years of Hendrix music" in the vaults.
"Currently, I am in the studio transferring tapes of Band of Gypsys performances that have never been released before," she said, referring to Hendrix's last band.
Experience Hendrix expects to release two albums later this year, including one on its Dagger "bootleg" imprint, which is sold only through its Web site. Hendrix also expects to release CDs and DVDs this fall that showcase live performances by the Jimi Hendrix Experience at London's Royal Albert Hall, as well as behind-the-scenes footage.
When Hendrix performed February 18 and February 24, 1969, at Royal Albert Hall, a camera crew followed him for a month, yielding candid footage of him at home, about town and hanging out backstage. The result, Hendrix says, will be a "reality TV" glimpse of the legendary guitarist.
(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE52K0P120090321

^^^probably a good idea on Sony's part, cus they have so much lucrative publishing in the bag, they need to lessen their load so they can take care of what they already got, with kid glove care. lol

Sony Adds Streaming Music To Artist Sites
As the old saying goes, 'if you can't beat them, join them;' and that's just what Sony Music has done. Since free, on-demand streaming music seems to be a rising tide in cyberspace, Sony has decided that it makes smart business sense. Beginning today, the company will introduce streaming music players on the official Web sites of some of their most popular artists, including Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, and the King of Pop. Sony will also be adding lyrics to their sites, provided by the company's own Gracenote subsidiary.

+

Something For The Weekend?
Hidden Gems & Forgotten Favourites

The catalogue with various member of the Sony ATV London team stepping into the limelight to present their favourite gems just for you:

http://www.sonyatv.com/writers/standalone_news_story.php?id=155

al_green_f-1.jpg
I Want To Hold Your Hand -
Al Green

A previously unreleased cover version of on of The Beatles' earliest hits that appeared on a Hi Records box set and towered over almost everything else on it. Originally recorded as a live studio take in 1969 (the banter between engineer and singer is clearly audible on the recording) this version breathes fresh air into an already classic pop song written by Lennon-McCartney specifically for the American market in 1963. The original reigned at Number 1 in USA for 7 weeks whilst simultaneously topping the UK charts and is The Beatles' best selling worldwide single of all time.

Chosen by James Dewar, A&R Manager

peggy60.jpg
I'm A Woman -
Peggy Lee

With her alluring tones and distinctive delivery, Peggy gives it some with this sultry and seductive track, which talks about the power of a woman. Penned by famed song writing duo Lieber and Stoller and released in 1963, it was previously used in an Enjoli/ Revlon perfume commercial in the 70s and has been covered numerous times by artists such as Bette Midler, American Idol finalist Melinda Doolittle and a duet by...... wait for it......Raquel Welch and Miss Piggy. 'Cos I'm a woman, W O M A N, I'll say it again'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIWpqSajYPM
Chosen by Camelia Hemeida, Synch/ Marketing Co-ordinator

highllamas2.jpg
The Goat Looks On -
The High Llamas (instrumental mix)

London based indie/ post rock band The High Llamas have been entertaining men with beards and their sympathetic girlfriends for 15 years. This track is an instrumental version of a song from their 1994 album Gideon Gaye and nods towards the The Beach Boys' Surfs Up era.

Chosen by Steve Ambler, A&R/ Digital Co-ordinator

the%20millenium.JPG
Prelude -
The Millennium

The Millennium were a 7 piece psychedelic rock band from California. The brilliant Prelude taken from their 1968 album Begin is a quirky harpsichord laden instrumental that wouldn't sound out of place on a Lemon Jelly or Avalanches album.

Chosen by Brian Mahoney, A&R Co-ordinator

Hank%20Williams.jpg
Hey Good Lookin' - Hank Williams Snr.

I just love this tune (particularly the Buckwheat Zydeco/ Dwight Yoakam Cajun version of this classic Hank Williams Snr composition (see link below). It's lyrically ideal for any food/cooking-related production, brilliant in its simplicity. A catchy 'feel-good' tune introduced to me many years ago by my parents, I think of them singing, dancing and enjoying the song every time I hear it.

OCUME%7E1jcooperLOCALS%7E1Tempmsohtml1%EF%BF%BD4clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcxtOLoXrM&feature=related

Chosen by Wendy Ujcic, Senior Admin Analyst

wy%20bill.JPG
(Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star - Bill Wyman

Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman released (Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star in 1981. Maxim magazine ranked Wyman at No.10 on its Living Sex Legends list as it is rumoured that Wyman has slept with over 1000 women (he may be the original Russell Brand). He also owns Sticky Fingers cafe in Kensington and is an amateur archaeologist. Break out the spray tan and check out the Dollyrockers version destined to be a summer hit 'Je Suis Un Dolly'....

OCUME%7E1jcooperLOCALS%7E1Tempmsohtml1%EF%BF%BD5clip_filelist.xml">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB1qVJVvjFA
Chosen by Lindsay Nieman, Synch/Marketing Co-ordinator

LynnAnderson.jpg
(I Never) Promised You A Rose Garden -
Lynn Anderson

This early 70s classic written by Joe South and recorded by Lynn Anderson takes a realistic and laid back look at love, relationships and living in the moment backed up by some feisty attitude. A very Southern Hemisphere posture wrapped in a US country pop lyric. As one of the biggest hits of 1971 and a winner of a Grammy the same year, maybe not such a hidden gem but one that deserves a re-introduction for just being a very good song.

Chosen by Karina Masters, Head Of Synch & Marketing

loose_ends.jpg
Hanging On A String - Loose Ends

Before Soul II Soul there was the mighty Loose Ends. This band doesn't get the credit they are due, they broke ground that Soul II Soul would later get credited for.

Chosen by Gary Bhupsingh, Head Of UK Admin

Dawn.jpg
Knock Three Times - Tony Orlando & Dawn

This song was a massive hit in the 70s, selling over nine million copies and reaching number one in US and UK. It tells the story of a man in love with his beautiful neighbour, asking her to knock three times on the ceiling if she feels the same, or twice on the radiator if it's a no! The song was given the Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer treatment in Shooting Stars, when Vic sang the song in 'the club style'... click on the link to see the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LOjniAOjk

Chosen by Chris Graves, Synch/ Marketing Manager

lyn%20collins222.JPG
Mama Feelgood - Lynn Collins

A raw, funky and soulful track from an underrated singer, co-written by the Godfather of Soul- James Brown and featured on a Blaxploitation classic Black Caesar OST.

Chosen by Andy Koufou, Senior Copyright Analyst

johnny_winter.jpg
Miss Ann - Johnny Winter

Johnny Winter became a major star in the late 60s and early 70s. His version of Miss Ann originally written and performed by Little Richard, is a great Rock N Roll tune and sounds just as fresh and soulful as it did back then.

Chosen by Anne Sandig, A&R Assistant

pickett2.jpg
Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett

One summer holiday when I was 9 we tool a boat trip, by sunset the parents were absolutely blotted. On the boat ride back my step father decided to stand up in the little wooden boat, in his should-never-have-ever-been-worn Speedos, bottle of vino in one hand, with a shuffle he launched into 'Naa na na na naaaaa'. Needless to say we got to dry land, and left him swaying at a 45 degree angle on the beach still singing his heart out and I always remember the boat moment whenever I hear the song now. God Bless the Beatles.

Chosen by Mel Maw, Legal & UK Operations PA

gram_parsons.jpg
Brass Buttons - Gram Parsons

Taken from the solo album Grievous Angel, Brass Buttons is for me one of the stand out tracks with its seemingly mellow rhythm punctured with a lyric like 'and the sun still comes up without her. It doesn't know she's gone'. Brilliant!

OCUME%7E1jcooperLOCALS%7E1Tempmsohtml1%EF%BF%BD5clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGdvFtkso4

Chosen by Ed Filugelli, Admin Assistant

livingcolour.jpg
Glamour Boys -
Living Colour

Mick Jagger discovered Living Colour in 1987 at one of their gigs at the legendary CBGBs punk club. I chose Glamour Boys because it might not be the first song that springs to mind when you think of Living Colour. It's a seriously catchy number and demonstrates the band's eclectic style, which often fused metal, funk, punk and soul. Plus, everybody loves a bit of 80s!
OCUME%7E1jcooperLOCALS%7E1Tempmsohtml1%EF%BF%BD5clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XRpuhc9dgU
Chosen by James Cooper, Synch/ Marketing Creative Manager

joe%20jackson222.JPG
Got The Time -
Joe Jackson

This single taken from the 1979s Look Sharp sees Messr Jackson embrace his punkness. The tune firmly established Joe in the cooler than thou college radio set reaching number 11 in the CMJ charts. Obviously those bone head thrash merchants Anthrax were paying attention as they covered it on their 1991 Persistence Of Time album.

Check out the vid....

OCUME%7E1jcooperLOCALS%7E1Tempmsohtml1%EF%BF%BD5clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHijgQ1UVw

Chosen by Flash Taylor, A&R Manager

thethethe24the%20the%20the.JPG
Dogs Of Lust -
The The

Dark, brooding, political and somewhat sexual. The The encompassed all of this during their heyday being the college and University student darlings. Johnny Marr from The Smiths was in the band during this particular period of The The - listen to him play harmonica like a demon!!!!

Chosen by Mel Redmond, A&R Creative Manager

bea%20wain.jpg
Kiss The Boys Goodbye - Bea Wain

I just love that mixture of something from another time, with the sassiness of the lyrics and delivery. At the same time you know the second world war is happening, and maybe that adds to its sense of playfulness, poignancy and escapism. It's hard not to picture scores of heartbroken G.I's as she sings '...let me show them what they're gonna miss'

Chosen by Luke McGrellis, A&R Manager

wearescientists300.jpg
Lousy Reputation - We Are Scientists

I don't really know anything about this type of music but my sister played this to me in the summer of '06 and I have liked it ever since.

Chosen by Oli 'The Boy' Pearson, Admin Assistant

rae%20and%20chris.jpg
Spellbound - Rae & Christian

Spellbound came out in the late 90s and its an example of really great proper British Soul (which can be quite rare) with great soul lyrics from Veba - has good memories for me of clubbing and the more soulful UK funky scene of the 90s.

Chosen by Helen Papaleontiou, Senior Analyst - Administration

nice find Ms MO :)

:cheeky:

Project Playlist Acquires TotalMusic; Gets Beatles Tracks, Too

Tameka Kee
paidContent.org

Tuesday, May 19, 2009; 6:07 PM

...Playlist has also signed a new licensing deal with Sony BMG offshoot Sony/ATV Music Publishing, giving users access to vintage and new tracks from artists including The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Shakira and John Mayer. The two new deals come just about a month after MTV vet John Sykes took the reins as the music-sharing site's CEO.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051902894.html

BMI Pop Awards

Sony/ATV Singer/Songwriter Taylor Swift received the BMI President’s Award, which honors an exceptional individual in the entertainment industry deserving of special recognition. The BMI President’s Award is presented only on unique occasions when an individual has distinctly and profoundly influenced the industry.

In addition, Ms. Swift earned a BMI Pop Award for her crossover hit “Teardrops on My Guitar.”

Publishing companies EMI Music Publishing (EMI-Blackwood Music, Inc./EMI-Longitude Music), Sony/ATV Music Group (Sony/ATV Songs LLC / Sony/ATV Tree),Warner/Chappell Music (Unichappell Music, Inc./Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.), Cocomarie Music, Culture Beyond Ur Experience, February Twenty-Second, Ihan Zhan Music, Lucinda Panic, Nappypub, Pookie Stuff, Reach Global, and State One Music America each garnered multiple awards.

http://bmi.com/news/entry/538583

Neil Diamond Re-signs With Sony/ATV

By Ed Christman, N.Y.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing has re-signed singer/songwriter Neil Diamond to a long-term, worldwide publishing agreement.

Diamond, who has been with Sony/ATV since 1992, has sold more than 125 million records, scored 36 top 40 hits and performed at thousands of sold-out shows all over the globe during his 40 plus-year career, according to the press release announcing the deal.

During that time, Diamond was nominated 12 times for a Grammy, winning once; was a Golden Globe recepient; has been inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame and is recipient of that organization's prestigious Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award. Moreover, Diamond remains at the top of his game as his last album "Home Before Dark," released last year, debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

"Neil Diamond is one of the greatest singer/songwriters of an entire generation," chairman and CEO of Sony/ATV Music Publishing Martin Bandier said in a statement. "We are thrilled that Neil has decided to remain with us and we all look forward to helping expose his incredible catalogue and future work through various media."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ic8543054a8a9084d27f9d3e8bc69d5d0

Wikipedia should be UPDATED!

* Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns or administers more than 750,000 copyrights by such artists as The Beatles, Beck, Brooks & Dunn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Fall Out Boy, John Mayer, Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Linda Perry, Richie Sambora, Shakira, Diane Warren and Hank Williams, among others.
* Its growing current roster of chart-topping artists includes Akon, Sara Bareilles, the Jonas Brothers, Kenny Chesney, Flo Rida, Lady GaGa, Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift.

The company acquired the Acuff-Rose catalog (featuring classics from Hank Williams and Roy Orbison) in 2002 for $157 million from Gaylord Entertainment.

Sony/ATV expanded its business in 2007 with the acquisition of publisher Famous Music from Viacom. The deal was worth some $370 million, and added 125,000 songs and sound cues to Sony/ATV's catalog.

The growing company also scored a hit when it acquired the catalogue of award-winning songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller in 2007 for some $45 million.

another atv song spins its way to a radio number 1.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/airplay-charts.htm

USA TODAY airplay charts as compiled by Mediabase Updated document.write(niceDate('5/26/2009 2:22 PM'));10m ago | Comments 33 | Recommend 77 E-mail | Save | Print |
var storyURL = "http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/airplay-charts.htm"; var storyTitle = "USA TODAY airplay charts as compiled by Mediabase"; var yahooBuzzArticleId = 'usatoday:'+storyURL+'?csp=34'; var yahooBuzzBadgeType = 'text'; var sclListTop = ""; sclListTop +=''; sclListTop +='
  • '; sclListTop +=''; sclListTop +='
'; sclListTop +='
'; sclListTop +='
'; document.write(sclListTop);

This week's charts:

#spritemenu{display:none} #social2{display:none} Top 40 Last Week This Week Artist Song Spins
grey.gif
1 1 BLACK EYED PEAS Boom Boom Pow 9695
grey.gif
2 2 LADY GAGA Poker Face 8947
grey.gif
3 3 JAMIE FOXX Blame It f/T-Pain & Yung Joc 7085
grey.gif
6 4 BEYONCE Halo 6888
grey.gif
5 5 SHINEDOWN Second Chance 6496
grey.gif
9 6 BRITNEY SPEARS If U Seek Amy 5702
grey.gif
12 7 3OH!3 Don't Trust Me 5636
grey.gif
8 8 ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS Gives You Hell 5346
grey.gif
14 9 MILEY CYRUS The Climb 5328
grey.gif
4 10 FLO RIDA Right Round 5323
grey.gif

Last edited:
^^^i would not have double posted, but i didn't know how to comment without screwing up the paste.

i've observed enough to know that at least 6 of those ten songs are atv songs.

News: Sony/ATV (Michael Jackson) Music Publishing

Sony/ATV Scores It’s Highest UK Market Share

May 27, 2009

Following a record-breaking fourth quarter in 2008, Sony/ATV’s UK office kicked off 2009 by achieving its highest combined market share to date with 19.8% during Q1. This secured Sony/ATV in second place for the quarter, with Universal Music Publishing barely claiming victory with 20.5% (a .7% lead).

Although Sony/ATV’s album market share was its best since 2006, the majority of its success in Q1 was due to its domination of the singles market, where it finished with an incredible 23.5%.

Out of the Top 10 UK Singles of Q1, Sony/ATV had percentages on seven of them, including Lady Gaga’s “Pokerface” and “Just Dance,” James Morrison and Nelly Furtado’s “Broken Strings,” Beyonce’s “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It),” Flo Rida’s “Right Round,” Alesha Dixon’s “Breathe Slow,” and Alexandra Burke’s rendition of “Hallelujah.” (All percentages from MusicWeek, 5/23/09)

Playing For Change: “Stand By Me”

Click HERE to see a video of the song “Stand By Me” (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller/Ben E. King) that has been gathering huge responses from the YouTube audience.

The track comes from an album called, “Songs Around The World”; it was released on April 28 through Concord on Starbucks’ label Hear Music and in just a few days, it debuted at #10 on Billboard’s album chart. It’s all part of a project called, “Playing For Change” which is designed to promote world peace.

For this cover version of Sony/ATV’s classic song, “Stand By Me”, Grammy®-winning producer Mark Johnson hit on the idea of recording street performers and little-known artists ‘live’ around the globe. The first artist that Mark and his team recorded was Roger Ridley, a street musician in Santa Monica, California; they then flew to New Orleans, Louisiana, and gave a set of headphones to Grandpa Elliott, a blind singer in the famous French Quarter, so that he could add his own vocals and harmonica while listening to the recording of the Santa Monica artist.

The project and that track literally mushroomed from there. Another New Orleans musician added some metal percussion and the producers then traveled on through Europe, Africa and South America, capturing the performances of other musicians and singers, all of whose contributions contributed to the final mix and this video chronicles the evolution of the recording.

-Alan Warner

Sony/ATV Wins Big at Ivor Novello Awards

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV had some enormous wins at the Ivor Novello Awards, the UK’s most prestigious songwriter’s awards, held on Thursday, May 21st. Sony/ATV’s songwriters took four of the biggest awards of the event, with two of them - Vince Clarke and Don Black - winning the highest career icon accolades.

Sony/ATV’s writers won the following awards:

ALBUM AWARD
Album: We Started Nothing
Writer/s: Julian De Martino / Katie White Performed By: The Ting Tings UK Publisher/s:
Playwrite Music (administered by Warner/Chappell Music) / Sony/ATV Music Publishing

OUTSTANDING SONG COLLECTION
Vince Clarke

SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR
Eg White

THE ACADEMY FELLOWSHIP
Don Black

Alexander Rybak Wins Eurovision Song Contest

Sony/ATV’s Norwegian artist/writer Alexander Rybak won the Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow with his current international hit song,“Fairytale.” The contest, which was broadcast throughout Europe, had an estimated audience of over 100 million viewers. Rybak beat out contestants from 42 countries and won with 387 points, the highest score in the contest’s 53 year history.

With millions of hits on YouTube and a chart-topping single throughout Europe, Alexander Rybak is on his way to becoming one of the largest musical exports out of Norway. The twenty-three year old was born in Minsk (Belarus) and grew up just outside the Norwegian capital Oslo where he played violin and piano since he was five years old.

In February, Rybak performed “Fairytale” in the Norwegian final of the Eurovison Song Contest and went on to win with more than 600,000 votes over the runner up. “Fairytale” has since sold six times platinum.

“Fairytale”, which is 100% controlled by Sony/ATV, reached the #1 spot on iTunes in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Benelux, Spain, Greece, Ireland, Switzerland, #2 in France and Austria, and #3 in the UK. Alexander Rybak’s album Fairytales is set to drop during the first week of June in the following territories: Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, GSA, Benelux, Greece, Cyprus, and Russia.

Links:

Click HERE to see Alexander Rybak performing “Fairytale”.

Click HERE for CNN News article.

Sony/ATV News

Last edited:
<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpBDOolcs9g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpBDOolcs9g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

The 5 Worst (and Best) Ad Songs of All Time

June 2, 2009
-By Billboard Staff

The right song can help a product shine -- but the wrong one can hit an off note. Billboard consulted with a six-person panel of experts in advertising and branding to determine our list of the best five songs in commercials -- and five that made viewers reach for their remotes.

The Panel of Experts
John Campanelli, vp of marketing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing
Geoff Cottrill, chief marketing officer, Converse
Stephanie Diaz-Matos and Sara Matarazzo, executive producers/music supervisors, Search Party Music
Mike Tunnicliffe, brands, technology and entertainment entrepreneur, Tuna Music/Filament Entertainment Group
Josh Rabinowitz, svp, director of music, Grey Group

THE FIVE BEST

3. Nike: "Revolution"- The Beatles

In 1987, Nike produced a commercial that played the Beatles' "Revolution" over a montage of grainy black-and-white footage of triumph and defeat. It included superstars like Michael Jordan and John McEnroe, as well as energetic children, exhausted triathletes and speedwalking seniors. But the ad got even more attention when the Beatles' company, Apple Records, started a legal battle that wasn't settled for two years.

"The Nike 'Revolution' use was monumental in many ways," Rabinowitz says. "Not only did it resonate with the visuals and concept, but it really opened the door to high-concept ads utilizing great-and expensive-music. It also broke ground for a cottage industry of commercial music-licensing experts and internal commercial-licensing resources and departments at labels and publishers, because nobody wanted to get embroiled in that type of legal nuisance again." --Evie Nagy

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/news/agency/e3i4722353a16827bf084896c8b1b771145

Source: Billboard.com

Starr Report
June 12, 2009
By Michael Starr

"American Idol" judge Randy Jackson and Sony/ ATV Music Publishing chairman Marty Bandier co- hosted a release party Tuesday night (at the Sony Club) for song writing legends Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, who've got a new dual autobiography, "Hound Dog." When Bandier mentioned partygoers were in the presence of "royalty," Stoller corrected him. "No, Marty, royalties." Ben E. King, John McEnroe and Jimmy Webb were also there.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/131516093

Nine West Launches the Vintage America Voices Contest And Inspires Others to Find Their Voice

New York, NY (July 2009) /PRNewswire/ — Nine West will introduce the Vintage America Voices Contest this month, in conjunction with the launch of Nine West Vintage America Collection. This campaign will celebrate the new collection, as well as allow brand ambassador and singer/songwriter Miranda Lee Richards to spearhead a talent search to help someone else find their voice, with the opportunity to record and release a single through Sony/ATV Music Publishing's in house label, Hickory Records.

"Sony/ATV Music Publishing and Hickory Records are thrilled to be a part of this terrific partnership," said Danny Strick, Co-President of Sony/ATV Music Publishing. "It is refreshing to see the melding of fashion, music and emerging talent in a time when the public is looking for uplifting news."

The Vintage America Voices Contest was created to find a singer whose voice and song will speak to this generation and the American spirit – personifying the soulful essence and authenticity of Nine West Vintage America Collection.

Beginning this month, contestants have the opportunity to create and submit an original song for the chance to become the voice of Nine West Vintage America Collection. The contest will run for seven weeks, from July 14, 2009 to September 1, 2009, with seven finalists selected and the winner announced in September...

http://www.ninewest.com/Vintage-America-Collection/VAC,default,pg.html

Last edited:
Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #40 - Movie Songs & Themes

resize_image.php

resize_image.php

resize_image.php

A fortnightly newsletter highlighting some of the many classic songs in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing catalog.
From Alan Warner, Creative Consultant

SONY/ATV MOVIE SONGS AND THEMES

Alphabetical list (which began in our previous two newsletters) of just some of the Sony/ATV-controlled themes and songs which have been performed and heard in feature films...

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/519

Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #41 - Movie Songs & Themes - Part Two

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/520

Sony/ATV’s "Musical Notes" #42 - Movie Songs & Themes - Part Three

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/547

Jackson’s Executor, Sony Discuss Unreleased Songs (Update2)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=amtuSGGzUy60#

By Brett Pulley
data

July 23 (Bloomberg) -- Michael Jackson’s executors are in talks with Sony Corp. to determine the ownership of about 100 unreleased songs and how they can be marketed.
The tracks are leftovers from the albums Jackson recorded for Sony, according to Rob Wiesenthal, chief financial officer of the Tokyo-based company’s U.S. operations. Most are owned by the late singer’s estate or Sony, he said.
“It will get worked out,” Wiesenthal said yesterday in an interview at a media conference in Pasadena, California, sponsored by Fortune magazine. “It will take time.”
Wiesenthal said he met yesterday with John McClain, a former music executive and friend and manager of the late singer, who died on June 25 in Los Angeles. McClain, who once headed urban music at DreamWorks, was named co-executor of the singer’s estate. The other, John Branca, was Jackson’s lawyer for much of the artist’s solo career.
Most of Jackson’s top-selling albums, such as “Off the Wall,” and “Thriller,” were recorded during his years with Epic, a Sony label. The master recordings, which encompass everything recorded while making the albums, are controlled by Sony, Wiesenthal said. Full ownership of the masters will eventually revert to Jackson’s estate, he said.
Sales of the music have surged. Jackson’s albums sold 2.3 million copies in the two and half weeks after his death, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Jackson’s material held the top 12 spots on SoundScan’s catalog charts, which lists albums released at least 18 months ago, in the week ended July 12.
Sorting Through Songs
When Jackson recorded the 2001 release “Invincible,” he and Sony spent more $35 million to create tracks. The majority didn’t make it onto the album, Wiesenthal said. There are also many unreleased tracks from other albums.
McClain declined to comment, according to spokesman Jim Bates of Sitrick & Co.
The focus for Sony and the operators of Jackson’s estate is sorting through everything the artist recorded and figuring out who has an ownership interest in each recording. Some producers, for example, may claim that they have a stake in the tracks.
Jackson won 13 Grammy awards and sold more than 750 million records, rising to stardom with his brothers in the Jackson 5. His solo career peaked with the 1982 release of “Thriller.” He later faced allegations of child sexual abuse and refinanced debt to stave off bankruptcy.
Since Jackson’s death, there have been inquiries from companies interested in purchasing the singer’s stake in Sony/ATV, the music publishing company jointly owned with Sony, Wiesenthal said.
“They’re inquiring,” Wiesenthal said. “But it’s not for sale.”
Sony/ATV Catalog
Branca, in an e-mail this week, said the estate’s stake in Sony/ATV, which owns Beatles and Bob Dylan songs, “is not for sale.” According to Wiesenthal, the executors must first assess tax liabilities before they can consider selling any assets.
Sony’s U.S. traded shares gained 58 cents to $25.28 at 4:15 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have advanced 16 percent this year.
To contact the reporter on this story: Brett Pulley in Los Angeles at bpulley@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: July 23, 2009 22:18 EDT

The Song Is Mine: Sony/ATV Pursues New Opportunities
August 07, 2009
By Ed Christman, N.Y.

The death of a co-owner is a sad and difficult passage for any company.
But when the co-owner in question is Michael Jackson and the company is Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the proprietor of the Beatles song catalog, the transition is bound to attract the public spotlight.

And that suits Sony/ATV chairman/CEO Martin Bandier just fine.

Bandier--the legendary music publisher who joined the company in April 2007 after spending nearly two decades transforming EMI Music Publishing from a minor firm into an industry powerhouse--is clearly comfortable with being in the public eye, even if he's just as silent as other Sony Corp. executives on the topic of all things Jackson.

But the publishing veteran isn't bashful when it comes to talking about how he has turned around Sony/ATV from a sleepy company to a contender for every major deal that has come up since his arrival.

"In its history, Sony/ATV never won an ASCAP pop publisher of the year award and this year in May we won it," Bandier says. "That's a pretty remarkable accomplishment. I knew we would get there one day, but never thought we would do it within two years."

Sony/ATV shared the award with Bandier's old company, EMI Music Publishing, which suits the competitive executive just fine. In any event, Bandier plans on duplicating his EMI success at Sony/ATV, which is considered to be the smallest of the four major-owned music publishers and is half-owned by Sony.

"We have a great deal of autonomy and tremendous support from Sony, who are big believers in music publishing and copyright," Bandier says. "They have a real long-term view on growing this business and building it into the premier music publisher that I think it has become, although clearly not in terms of its size. But, shucks, it's only two-and-a-half years."

Bandier's impact at Sony/ATV is evident from studying Billboard's Top 10 Publisher Airplay chart (see page 18). Since its inception in second-quarter 2006, the chart has ranked publishers by their share of a given quarter's top 100 airplay songs as determined by Nielsen BDS. During the first four quarters of the chart before Bandier's arrival, Sony/ATV consistently placed either third or fourth. But during the last six quarters under his watch, Sony/ATV has ranked first once, second three times and third twice.

Since Bandier came aboard, Sony/ATV's key artist/songwriter signings and acquisitions have included Lady GaGa, Flo Rida, Sean Kingston, Akon, Shakira and, most recently, Enrique Iglesias. His key producer/writer signings have included RedOne (whose current projects include GaGa, Iglesias, Kingston and Adam Lambert), John Shanks (Bon Jovi, Colbie Caillat, Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield) and Evan Bogart (Jordin Sparks, Beyoncé), as well as new signings Jeff Bhasker (Kanye West) and Boi-1da, writer/producer of Drake's current hit "Best I Ever Had."

Bandier's tenure at Sony/ATV began with the acquisitions of the Leiber & Stoller and Famous Music catalogs. And many industry executives wonder if Jackson's death will result in another acquisition--the remaining 50% of Sony/ATV owned by the trust created by Jackson and now managed by his estate. Sony executives declined to address the question directly.

"We are very happy with the tremendous growth and financial performance at Sony/ATV over the past few years," says Rob Wiesenthal, executive VP/CFO at Sony Corp. of America. "We are not sellers. We love this business and are completely focused on growing it."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i0cdf40bc01587c4193ddbcc2c8263199

MTV Games and Harmonix Reveal All But One Track Featured in The Beatles(TM): Rock Band(TM)

19 More of the 45 On-Disc Tracks Announced Including "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Helter Skelter," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Ticket to Ride" and More

NEW YORK, Aug. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- MTV Games and Harmonix, the world's leading developer of music-based games and a part of Viacom's MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA) (NYSE: VIA.B) , today revealed 19 more of the 45 on-disc tracks that will be featured in The Beatles(TM): Rock Band(TM) - leaving all, but one song a mystery. A gameplay trailer featuring ten of the 19 newly announced songs can be viewed by visiting www.thebeatlesrockband.com.

The newly announced 19 songs represent a cross-section of hits and favorites that span The Beatles' storied career from "A Hard Day's Night" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" to "Ticket to Ride" and "Something,"bringing the total number of announced songs to 44.
The Beatles: Rock Band 19 New Songs Revealed With Featured Venues:

• "Boys" / Cavern Club
  • "A Hard Day's Night" / Ed Sullivan Theater
  • "I'm Looking Through You" / Shea Stadium
  • "If I Needed Someone" / Shea Stadium
  • "Ticket to Ride" / Shea Stadium
  • "Drive My Car" / Budokan
  • "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Getting Better" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Good Morning" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Hello, Goodbye" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Hey Bulldog" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Dear Prudence" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Helter Skelter" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Something" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Come Together" / Abbey Road Dreamscape
  • "Don't Let Me Down" / Rooftop Concert
  • "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" / Rooftop Concert
  • "I Me Mine" / Rooftop Concert
The Beatles: Rock Band allows fans to pick up the guitar, bass, mic or drums to experience The Beatles' extraordinary catalogue of music through gameplay that takes players on a journey through the legacy and evolution of the band's legendary career. From the early touring days in 1963 Liverpool to the immortal, final performance on the Apple Corps rooftop, fans can follow in The Fab Four's footsteps as they traverse the globe during the height of Beatlemania.

For the first time in a music videogame, The Beatles: Rock Band introduces three-part vocal harmonies to gameplay, allowing players to revel in the unparalleled vocal stylings of The Beatles.

As previously announced, the entire Abbey Roadalbum will be available for future download purchase. In addition, "All You Need Is Love" will be released Sept. 9, 2009, exclusively through Xbox LIVE for a limited time as a downloadable song for The Beatles: Rock Band, with all Apple Corps Ltd, MTV Games, Harmonix and Microsoft proceeds benefitting Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF).

In conjunction with the release of the entire, original, digitally re-mastered Beatles CD catalogue, The Beatles: Rock Band will be available Sept. 9, 2009, simultaneously worldwide in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and other territories for the Xbox((R))360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION((R))3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), and the Wii(TM) system from Nintendo. The game will be compatible with all Rock Band instrument controllers, as well as most Guitar Hero((R)) and other authorized third-party music video game peripherals and microphones.

North American and European fans who pre-order any version of the The Beatles: Rock Band at a participating retailer will be given an access code to officially join the Pre-Order Club. After entry of the code, consumers will gain access to breaking news and exclusive behind-the-scenes elements. For a list of participating retailers or to learn more about The Beatles: Rock Band Pre-Order Club, please visit www.thebeatlesrockband.com/preorderclub/.

The Beatles: Rock Band marks the first time that Apple Corps, along with EMI Music, Harrisongs Ltd, and Sony/ATV Music Publishing, has agreed to present The Beatles music in an interactive video game format. The Beatles: Rock Band will be published by MTV Games and developed by Harmonix, the world's premier music video game company and creators of the best-selling Rock Band. Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) will serve as distribution partner for the game. In addition, Giles Martin, co-producer of The Beatles innovative LOVE album project, is providing his expertise and serving as Music Producer for this groundbreaking Beatles project.

For more information on The Beatles: Rock Band, as well as art and video assets, please visit http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/press.

:bugeyed

Sony Charges Westboro Baptist Church With Copyright Infringement

By Nick Spacek

Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church, home of Pastor Fred Phelps and the "God Hates Fags Campaign," has been hit with copyright infringement from Sony/ATV Music. In a letter to the church, Sony lawyer Peter Brodsky states that a video on the church's website "constitutes a serious infringement of Sony's copyright."

That video is "Hey Jews," the Beatles' hit written as a claim that the Jews are evil reprobates who killed Christ and have yet to repent. The letter from Brodsky goes on to paint "Hey Jews" as an "unauthorized derivative of the Compostion" ["Hey Jude"], "one of the most popular and recognizable songs in the history of popular music."

It's a parody, and it'd be hilarious if it weren't in 100% seriousness. Still, it brings to mind what I once read in Bill Shapiro's The Rock and Roll Review, in that he might not like what you say, but he'll defend to the death your right to say it. This sort of thing chaps my hide six ways from Sunday, but they're legally within their rights. Morally? Well, that's a personal question.

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2009/08/sony_charges_westboro_baptist.php

Back