MJ performances oustide of tours

morinen

Proud Member
I'm trying to compose the full list of MJ's performances outside tours during his adult solo career. Here is what I've come up with. Did I forget anything?

• 1981: Diana Ross Special: "Rock with You", "Ease On Down The Road"
  • Mar 25, 1983: Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever: "I'll Be There", "Billie Jean"
  • Mar 2, 1988: Grammy Awards: "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man In the Mirror"
  • Nov 13, 1989: Sammy Davis, Jr. 60th Anniversary Celebration: "You Were There"
  • 1991: MTV's 10th Anniversary: "Blak or White", "Will You Be There"
  • Jan 20, 1993: Clinton Inaugural Gala: "Gone Too Soon", "Heal The World"
  • Jan 25, 1993: American Music Awards: "Dangerous"
  • Jan 31, 1993: SuperBowl XXVII: "Jam"/"Billie Jean"/"Black or White", "Heal the World"
  • Mar 9, 1993: Soul Train Awards: "Remember the Time"
  • Mar 13, 1995: Soul Train Awards: "Dangerous", "You Are Not Alone"
  • Sep 7, 1995: Video Music Awards: Medley ("Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough", "The Way You Make Me Feel"/"Scream"/"Beat It"/"Black or White"/"Billie Jean"),"Dangerous", "You Are Not Alone"
  • Nov 4, 1995: Wetten Dass...?: "Dangerous", "Earth Song"
  • Feb 19, 1996: Brit Awards: "Earth Song"
  • May 8, 1996: World Music Awards: "Earth Song"
  • Jul 16, 1996: Royal Brunei Concert
  • Feb 16, 1997: Elizabeth Taylor 65th Birthday Celebration: "Elizabeth I Love You"
  • Jun 25, 27, 1999: MJ And Friends (Seoul and Munich): Medley ("Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"/"The Way You Make Me Feel"/"Scream"/"Beat It"/"Black or White"/"Billie Jean"), "Dangerous", "Earth Song", "You Are Not Alone"
  • Sep 7, 10, 2001: 30th Anniversary Special Concerts
  • Oct 21, 2001: United We Stand Benefit: "Man In The Mirror", "What More Can I Give"
  • Apr 19, 2002: American Bandstand's 50th Anniversary Celebration: "Dangerous"
  • Apr 24, 2002: A Night At the Apollo: “Dangerous”, “Black Or White”, “Heal The World”

There's the 2003 BET performance that Michael did with James Brown. I think he performed there. And the 2006 WMAs where Michael performed there as well. I am so very glad that I have both of them on tape. They are the only 2 that I can think of that you had forgotten.

Jan 29, 1980: "Because We Care" UNICEF Charity concert: "Rock With You"

Jan 26, 1986: American Music Awards: "We Are The World"

Jan 18, 1993: Clinton Inauguration: "We Are The World"

Jun 22, 1995: VH1 Honors: "We Are The World"

Wow, I've never seen that 1980 performance, SoCav. Thank you.

1980 Disney 25 anniversary special!! Sang 'when you wish upon a star' and 'ease on down the road '. First time I saw Michael since the Wiz and realized I was getting a bad crush.

Last edited:
Nice thread thanks. Will we ever see the "Man In the Mirror" performance from the United We Stand Benefit ? :(

I hope so and I'm sure the TV station still has it. They should air full version of the show with the MITM performance.

Although small contributions, could we include...

I'd absolutely love the Estate to do a DVD/Blu-ray release of the bulk of (or ALL of) Michael's performances solo and with the brothers on television.

Whitney Houston's Estate are doing it next month and I will definitely be buying.

Thanks everyone! There are a couple of rare gems here that I don't think I've even seen.

This list is for a fan website, and I wanted to count real performances that were planned and rehearsed, that MJ himself would consider a performance, not an "impromptu chorus sung with a choir" type of thing.

As far as I understand, the ones that remain unseen are:
- Budweiser Superfest
- MITM at the United We Stand
- BOW and HTW at A Night At the Apollo

I hope tapes exist, and whoever is sitting on those gems will release them one day.

I love on If You Only Believe how the crowd was pretty much dead, then MJ takes the mic and everyone goes absolutely crazy.Only Michael could bring the crowd from a dead sleep to rabbid in the span of a few moments. lol

Whhhhy is there no footage of Apollo black or white and heal the world whhhhy

Back