MJ's Best Vocal Performance

Psychoniff

Proud Member
What are the songs you most remember in which MJ absolutely slays vocally giving every ounce of energy, power, force, skill, pathos etc. In other words without the music and noise what songs did his vocal performance stand on it's own. So I do hope you guy rate songs based entirely on his vocal performance and not whether the song sounds good.

It's kind of hard to pick a particular Jackson Five song because he's virtually flawless on almost all J5 songs so I'll leave that up to you guys to figure out.

"Music Takin' Over" - This song is probably best looked at as a kind of test run for what we would later here, on this record you can hear him shifting, experimenting and molding his unique percussive/rhythmic style of singing.

"You Can't Win" (original version) - Fresh, funky, loose and alive...need I say more.

"Blame It On The Boogie" - You can hear the workings of what was to come, all those nuances and intricacies, the tricks and traits that he would go onto employ later is more or less established on this record. This breezy, bouncy vocal performance fits the the theme of the song perfectly.

"Rock With You" - This is probably his best Q. produced vocal performance, It's one of my first and fondest memories putting in that Number Ones CD at Christmas and thinking WOW! This guy can thrigging sing is as off!

"Off The Wall" - Probably his most convincing of all the Temperton/boogie era songs and his best carefree vocal performance. It's that unique quality he had of combining playfulness with raw unadulterated power.

"Burn This Disco Out" - I got to this one a bit late (after reading Vogel's book) but when I heard it I was immediately taken aback, he absolutely forces his way into each lyric doing a fierce, fiery and forceful job of this Temperton-penned track.

"Thriller" - The way he emotes the energy behind the meaning and theme of the lyrics and song, is second to none. Except for maybe Stevie Wonder...YES! I said Stevie Wonder, I don't know any other artist past or present that could convincingly pulled off one of pop music's most bizarre songs to ever land on top #40 radio.

"The Way You Make Me Feel" - MJ's brought back the a kind of old school Rock'n'roll and retro rhythm & Blues flavor with this cut. I prefer listening to this in acapella to really appreciate how pitch perfect his vocal performance is on this track.

"Break Of Dawn" - The whole Vince album is best looked at from the point of view of an artist exhibiting their wide vocal range and fluidity as singer rather than anything else. I feel like this song is great because he shows his maturity as singer hear, he's at his vocal peak here.

"Blue Gangsta" - WOW! He's leave his blood and guts all over the place here, fiery, fierce and probably his rawist Invincible era vocal performance. This is the master of pathos at his absolute peak.

Other songs: "Who's Lovin' You (Live)", "Got To Be There", "Body Language", "Sunset Driver", "Baby Be Mine", "P.Y.T.", "Remember The Time", "Who Is It", "Will You Be There", "Earth Song", "Is It Scary", "Xscape", "Slave To The Rhythm".

Last edited:
What are the songs you most remember in which MJ absolutely slays vocally giving every ounce of energy, power, force, skill, pathos etc

It's kind of hard to pick a particular Jackson Five song because he's virtually flawless on almost all J5 songs so I'll leave that up to you guys to figure out.

Music Takin' Over - This song is probably best looked at as a kind of test run for what we would later her, on this record you can hear him shifting, experimenting and molding his unique percussive/rhythmic style of singing.

You Can't Win - Fresh, funky, loose and alive...need I say more.

Blame It On The Boogie - You can hear the workings of what was to come, all those nuances and intricacies, the tricks and traits that he would go onto employ later is more or less established on this record. This breezy, bouncy vocal performance fits the the theme of the song perfectly.

Rock With You - This is probably his best Q. produced vocal performance, It's one of my first and fondest memories putting in that Number Ones CD at Christmas and thinking WOW! This guy can thrigging sing is as off!

Off The Wall - Probably his most convincing of all the Temperton/boogie era songs and his best carefree vocal performance. It's that unique quality he had of combining playfulness with raw unadulterated power.

Burn The Disco - I got to this one a bit late (after reading Vogel's book) but when I heard it I was immediately taken aback, he absolutely forces his way into each lyric doing a fierce, fiery and forceful job of this Temperton-penned track.

Thriller - The way he emotes the energy behind the meaning and theme of the lyrics and song, is second to none. Except for maybe Stevie Wonder...YES! I said Stevie Wonder, I don't know any other artist could have pulled off one of pop music's most bizarre songs to ever land on top #40 radio.

The Way You Make Me Feel - MJ's brought back the a kind of old retro Rock'n'roll and old school rhythm & Blues flavor with this cut. I prefer listening to this in acapella to really appreciate how pitch perfect his vocal performance is on this track.

Break Of Dawn - The whole Vince album is best looked at from the point of view of an artist exhibiting their wide vocal range and fluidity as singer rather than anything else. I feel like this song is great because he shows his maturity as singer hear, he's at his vocal peak here.

Blue Gangsta - WOW! He's leave his blood and guts all over the place here, fiery, fierce and probably his rawist Invincible era vocal performance. This is the master of pathos at his absolute peak.

Note: I'll probably add more later, but for now these are the ones off the top of the dome.

I really agree with your list. I have to say that I think that his vocal performance on Blue Gangsta is the best he ever did. It's incredible, really.

I would also like to add

Can't Help It
Baby Be Mine
Butterflies
Push Me Away - This has too be one of my all time favorite vocal performances from MJ
One Day In Your Life
Childhood
Liberian Girl
Who Is It
Stranger In Moscow

IMO, His best vocal moments are in:

1. Little Susie - pretty odd choice for number one, I know. However, the way he switches from chest to mix to head voice - I don't know how many people are able to do that but I bet they aren't a lot. The sorrow and the agony really shows through every note. It's one of the few songs which have actually made me cry. The music is great, and the vocal delivery is like bloodstained silk.

2. Speechless. This one is pretty popular I guess, and for some pretty good reasons too. The switching registers, the intro and outro, the vibrato - every single thing is on point. The only reason Little Susie beats this in my book is because Speechless doesn't paint a picture as emotionally moving as Susie.

3. We've Had Enough. One word : Woah!! Does this song kick ass! Better than Earth Song I think. Plus, he sounds really really good, with quivering vocals transitioning into powerful belts and march anthems.

4. Human Nature. Silk comes to mind. And this is certainly one of his strangest ballads; the whole scene is so different and so well described. And the lyrics are awesome too!

5. Butterflies. This song is pure bliss - minus the lyrics xD. The lyrics are really really cheesy! However, man, I just love his head voice!

Overall, I think his vocal performances in the later years were much better than they were in the 70s or 80s. Maybe less joyful, but in terms of register transitions and diversity, they win by a country mile.

I really agree with your list. I have to say that I think that his vocal performance on Blue Gangsta is the best he ever did. It's incredible, really.

I would also like to add

Can't Help It
Baby Be Mine
Butterflies
Push Me Away - This has too be one of my all time favorite vocal performances from MJ
One Day In Your Life
Childhood
Liberian Girl
Who Is It
Stranger In Moscow

Great! Thanks.

Butterflies - This seems to be a real fan favourite
Push Me Away - But that falsetto though..
Who Is It - That chorus though...it get's me every time.
Stranger In Moscow - Those two refrains though, "We're talkin' danger" and "I'm living lonely", brilliant!

Last edited:
IMO, His best vocal moments are in:

1. Little Susie - pretty odd choice for number one, I know. However, the way he switches from chest to mix to head voice - I don't know how many people are able to do that but I bet they aren't a lot. The sorrow and the agony really shows through every note. It's one of the few songs which have actually made me cry. The music is great, and the vocal delivery is like bloodstained silk.

2. Speechless. This one is pretty popular I guess, and for some pretty good reasons too. The switching registers, the intro and outro, the vibrato - every single thing is on point. The only reason Little Susie beats this in my book is because Speechless doesn't paint a picture as emotionally moving as Susie.

3. We've Had Enough. One word : Woah!! Does this song kick ass! Better than Earth Song I think. Plus, he sounds really really good, with quivering vocals transitioning into powerful belts and march anthems.

4. Human Nature. Silk comes to mind. And this is certainly one of his strangest ballads; the whole scene is so different and so well described. And the lyrics are awesome too!

5. Butterflies. This song is pure bliss - minus the lyrics xD. The lyrics are really really cheesy! However, man, I just love his head voice!

Overall, I think his vocal performances in the later years were much better than they were in the 70s or 80s. Maybe less joyful, but in terms of register transitions and diversity, they win by a country mile.

Cool list but please excuse me for being a little ignorant of musical technicality but what is "register transitions" may I ask?

I flip flop with this in my mind all the time, for now I'm going to have to add Will You Be There to the list people are saying..

Cool list but please excuse me for being a little ignorant of musical technicality but what is "register transitions" may I ask?

There are three main registers; chest voice (speaking voice) mixed voice (like in Fly Away and Loving You) and head voice (after the second verse in Butterflies). To be able to transition or switch between them so smoothly and flawlessly and sound so natural and good.. I've only seen maybe a handful of other singers who can do that.

I flip flop with this in my mind all the time, for now I'm going to have to add Will You Be There to the list people are saying..

Oh My God!! How could I forget Will You Be There?!

I think that MJ was vocally wonderful on all his records but a few I think that stand out include:
I Can't Help It - MJ's vocals were absolutely on point on this song

Lady In My Life - Especially near the end of the song, Michael's vocals are divine where he's 'improvising'/letting go as such

Stranger In Moscow - his vocals show his pain of loneliness

Speechless - In parts, this song is quite acapella which can show Michael's vocals without background music at the start/end very clearly/purely

Who's Lovin' You - Do I need to say more? As soon as little MJ belts out the first word, it's breathtaking

Butterflies - more R&B/soul vocals than the expected pop sound

One Day In Your Life - I tried to sing as good as MJ on this one, but Michael's vocals overtake mine completely as he holds his long notes without 1 single slip up. This song also shows Michael maturing and drifting away from his past bubblegum pop sound.

Human Nature - "Whhhhhyyyy whhhhyyyy whhhhhhhyyyyyyyy" - the vocals of an angel, shows that MJ's voice was definitely 1 of a kind

Baby Be Mine - Similar to Lady in My Life, it gives off the same pure vocal feel that oozes R&B

Childhood - his long high notes are hard to replicate when you sing along - and to hold them ;)

You Rock My World - Showed that MJ still had impeccable vocals even in his forties

Earth Song - "Aaaaaaaaahhhhh Oooooooohhhhhh" - and the closing lyrics > WHAT ABOUT US! with the long lasting "Woo's!" after "do we give a damn!" - Mike was mad and rightfully so with killer vocals

Smooth Criminal - "Annie are you okay? Will you tell us that you're okay?" High MJ notes, low MJ notes - vocal perfection

Man in the Mirror - MJ gives his all in this classic anthem - watch the live version at the Grammy Awards 1988 (y)

Dirty Diana - "Come on! come on! come on! come on!" - face melting ending

I'll Be There - Little MJ SLAYS with his vocals that can outshine anyone! - MJ's Jackson 5 days show how little Michael could even sing emotion better than other Motown legends - e.g. Who's Lovin' You was originally sang by Smokey Robinson

Got To Be There - Angelic vocals from solo 70's Michael that again, is very hard to replicate

Leave Me Alone - Only Michael could sing angry and A) Have good reasons and B) be awesome at it

She's Out of My Life - Michael literally is overcome by emotion on this song - tearing up at the end with flawless vocals throughout

Rock With You - "I wanna ROOOOOOOOOOOCK" Disco vocals (y)

Will You Be There - This song literally hits me right in the chest with its vocals - choir/orchestra and MJ = great combo

Gone Too Soon - Makes me eyes water with MJ's angelic vocals throughout - so difficult to replicate those long high notes without messing up

You Are Not Alone - "You're always in my HEEEEAAAARRRRTTTT" - One of the biggest vocal moments ever in my opinion with MJ literally giving all he had

I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Watch the This Is It Rehearsal - mind blowing

Show You The Way To Go - One of MJ's vocal highlights of The Jacksons days and one of my all time favourites, it just shows that other than his amazing vocals throughout a song, he definitely knew how to close/end one that would give you the shivers (in a good way of course) and be engraved in your mind e.g. at the end of this song, his vocals echo as they get quieter and quieter which gives me a weird but good feeling that makes me unable to 'unhear' it every time I finish listening to it. It's quite difficult to explain. Another of the many songs with 'home hitting' endings includes Man in the Mirror > "Chaaaannnnnggggeeee... Make that change..."

Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough - Falsetto galore! Literally the whole song is high notes with vocal hiccups :D How can you match that!? A whole 6 minutes of singing falsetto - now that's an achievement! And also to sing it live and do it all over again! Tip: Watch the live versions of this song as well (y)

You Can't Win - Great funky disco song - the ending is amazing, MJ kills it! > "You caaan't get oooooouuuutttt... woo... of the gaaaammmee, no, no!"

All I can say is that MJ had many 'best' vocal performances with more that could add to this list
As Michael's voice changed/developed throughout his career, I feel that it never 'aged' - Michael's vocals were always impeccable to me, on all of his records
- One of MJ's best vocal moments during REHEARSAL at age 50!

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Slave to the Rhytm yet. Easily one of his most aggressive and strongest vocals there are in my opininion :) Blew me away the first time I heard it. Great to have this song finally released.

And a rather unconventional opinion, I think: Best of Joy. I just really love the warmth and positiveness in his voice in this one :)

I think that MJ was vocally wonderful on all his records but a few I think that stand out include:
I Can't Help It - MJ's vocals were absolutely on point on this song

Lady In My Life - Especially near the end of the song, Michael's vocals are divine where he's 'improvising'/letting go as such

Stranger In Moscow - his vocals show his pain of loneliness

Speechless - In parts, this song is quite acapella which can show Michael's vocals without background music at the start/end very clearly/purely

Who's Lovin' You - Do I need to say more? As soon as little MJ belts out the first word, it's breathtaking

Butterflies - more R&B/soul vocals than the expected pop sound

One Day In Your Life - I tried to sing as good as MJ on this one, but Michael's vocals overtake mine completely as he holds his long notes without 1 single slip up. This song also shows Michael maturing and drifting away from his past bubblegum pop sound.

Human Nature - "Whhhhhyyyy whhhhyyyy whhhhhhhyyyyyyyy" - the vocals of an angel, shows that MJ's voice was definitely 1 of a kind

Baby Be Mine - Similar to Lady in My Life, it gives off the same pure vocal feel that oozes R&B

Childhood - his long high notes are hard to replicate when you sing along - and to hold them ;)

You Rock My World - Showed that MJ still had impeccable vocals even in his forties

Earth Song - "Aaaaaaaaahhhhh Oooooooohhhhhh" - and the closing lyrics > WHAT ABOUT US! with the long lasting "Woo's!" after "do we give a damn!" - Mike was mad and rightfully so with killer vocals

Smooth Criminal - "Annie are you okay? Will you tell us that you're okay?" High MJ notes, low MJ notes - vocal perfection

Man in the Mirror - MJ gives his all in this classic anthem

Dirty Diana - "Come on! come on! come on! come on!" - face melting ending

I'll Be There - Little MJ SLAYS with his vocals that can outshine anyone! - MJ's Jackson 5 days show how little Michael could even sing emotion better than other Motown legends - e.g. Who's Lovin' You was originally sang by Smokey Robinson

Got To Be There - Angelic vocals from solo 70's Michael that again, is very hard to replicate

Leave Me Alone - Only Michael could sing angry and A) Have good reasons and B) be awesome at it

She's Out of My Life - Michael literally is overcome by emotion on this song - tearing up at the end with flawless vocals throughout

Rock With You - "I wanna ROOOOOOOOOOOCK" Disco vocals (y)

Will You Be There - This song literally hits me right in the chest with its vocals - choir/orchestra and MJ = great combo

Gone Too Soon - Makes me eyes water with MJ's angelic vocals throughout - so difficult to replicate those long high notes without messing up

You Are Not Alone - "You're always in my HEEEEAAAARRRRTTTT" - One of the biggest vocal moments ever in my opinion with MJ literally giving all he had

I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Watch the This Is It Rehearsal - mind blowing

All I can say is that MJ had many 'best' vocal performances with more that could add to this list
As Michael's voice changed/developed throughout his career, I feel that it never 'aged' - Michael's vocals were always impeccable to me, on all of his records
- One of MJ's best vocal moments during REHEARSAL at age 50!

I Can't Help It - Michael Jackson the interpreter of JAZZ! Who would have thought that?

Human Nature - "music with wings"

Man In The Mirror - I prefer the live version

Dirty Diana - Pathos, Pathos, Pathos.

Rock With You - "I Wanna Roooooooooooooooooooock (All Night) With You Girrrrrrrrrrrl (Sunlight)"

Last edited:
Earth Song. It's an incredibly difficult song to sing, he could of done it in falsetto, like the Demo, but he didn't. That's cool.

Will You Be There is definitely number one!! Those high notes... I hope that the WYBT rehearsals for TII aren't playbacked!

Rock With You - "I Wanna Roooooooooooooooooooock (All Night) With You Girrrrrrrrrrrl (Sunlight)"

I don't think of "Rock with You" as disco vocals-I personally think "Rock with You" is the ultimate seduction song-that first line all gentle, cooing purring-"Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllll, Close Your Eyes...Let that Rhythm Get Into Youuuuuuuu-Don't try to fight it"

Sweet, seducing sighs indeed.

Last edited:
You have pretty much covered the solo ones, but I can not get enough of that voice in the following Jacksons tracks.

Heartbreak Hotel - This whole song seriously was a dress rehearsal for Billie Jean. His voice has all the action and pulse and sudden tempo changes you find in those later albums.

Walk right now - What can I say, he is really pushing his voice to the limit there and almost making the voice dance with his legs, again great frenetic and tuneful vocals. Seriously some of his best ever singing is on Triumph.

Dreamer - This song off Jacksons also has Michael doing a great soft vocal with great flow and a pleasing baritone. He is the star here with his brothers making a fine harmony as well.

Enjoy Yourself and Show you the way to go - Not technically the best, but liksten to the warmth and fullness of his voice in these tracks. Even more amazing is he was still 17 when he taped these songs and was still discovering that adult voice, I mean guys I know we are all about Man in The Mirror, Butterflies, She's out fo my life, Human nature etc, but these early songs just blow me away. His voice is so warm, full and beautiful and the best falsetto singer may be Prince or Russel Tompkins Jr. (Stylistics), but the best falsetto in a song is "Don't stop til you get enough.

I know we all love Michael's showmanship, hsi dancing and presence, but in reality his voice was his greatest instrument, the range and the warmth it conveyed.

Another early classic is the Jacksons on the Carol Burnett show in early 1976, they sing "Forever came today" and Marlon does a good "It came today, forever came today" but when Michael opens and goes "Theeereee you werrreeee" I was like oh my God! that is singing. And even at the start they are doing a song called "Anyone who is a Jackson is a friend of mine" and each brother introduces himself singing, they are all good, but then Michael goes "I am the skiiiinnnniieeestt Jackson" and it is obvious he is singing rings around his brothers.

I will do a list of solo MJ tracks later, but Butterflies, You are not alone, Stranger in Moscow, She's out of my life and Man in the mirror are up there.

You have pretty much covered the solo ones, but I can not get enough of that voice in the following Jacksons tracks.

Heartbreak Hotel - This whole song seriously was a dress rehearsal for Billie Jean. His voice has all the action and pulse and sudden tempo changes you find in those later albums.

Walk right now - What can I say, he is really pushing his voice to the limit there and almost making the voice dance with his legs, again great frenetic and tuneful vocals. Seriously some of his best ever singing is on Triumph.

Dreamer - This song off Jacksons also has Michael doing a great soft vocal with great flow and a pleasing baritone. He is the star here with his brothers making a fine harmony as well.

Enjoy Yourself and Show you the way to go - Not technically the best, but liksten to the warmth and fullness of his voice in these tracks. Even more amazing is he was still 17 when he taped these songs and was still discovering that adult voice, I mean guys I know we are all about Man in The Mirror, Butterflies, She's out fo my life, Human nature etc, but these early songs just blow me away. His voice is so warm, full and beautiful and the best falsetto singer may be Prince or Russel Tompkins Jr. (Stylistics), but the best falsetto in a song is "Don't stop til you get enough.

I know we all love Michael's showmanship, hsi dancing and presence, but in reality his voice was his greatest instrument, the range and the warmth it conveyed.

Another early classic is the Jacksons on the Carol Burnett show in early 1976, they sing "Forever came today" and Marlon does a good "It came today, forever came today" but when Michael opens and goes "Theeereee you werrreeee" I was like oh my God! that is singing. And even at the start they are doing a song called "Anyone who is a Jackson is a friend of mine" and each brother introduces himself singing, they are all good, but then Michael goes "I am the skiiiinnnniieeestt Jackson" and it is obvious he is singing rings around his brothers.

I will do a list of solo MJ tracks later, but Butterflies, You are not alone, Stranger in Moscow, She's out of my life and Man in the mirror are up there.

Have you seen this live performance Forever Came Today:

I prefer the live versions of these:

I would like to add my personal opinion no professional.
From the early J5 covers of difficult songs to sing with 4 harmonies behind, made for mature voices as Sammy Davis jr, Smokey R, etc these are my choices:
-Gotta Be Me
-I Hear A Symphony (beautiful vibrato)
-Ain't No Sunshine
Michael teenager:
-With A Child's Heart
-What You Don't Know
The Jacksons:
-Push Me Away
-Bame It on The Boogue
Michael Solo:
Here I have to say that I do love the timbre of his voice. To me the best Michael is when He sang with his natural voice (way) and some falsetos, He really don't needed any other extra thing.Besides to what all of you have said, I will add
-Someone On The Dark ( beautiful song and voice here )
-Beautiful Girl ( demo)

But speaking specifically of the fullest technical I may say that Earth Song is the one.

Beautiful thread bdw

Last edited:
I would like to add my personal opinion no professional.
From the early J5 covers of difficult songs to sing with 4 harmonies behind, made for mature voices as Sammy Davis jr, Smokey R, etc these are my choices:
-Gotta Be Me
-I Hear A Symphony (beautiful vibrato)
-Ain't No Sunshine
Michael teenager:
-With A Child's Heart
-What You Don't Know
The Jacksons:
-Push Me Away
-Bame It on The Boogue
Michael Solo:
Here I have to say that I do love the timbre of his voice. To me the best Michael is when He sang with his natural voice (way) and some falsetos, He really don't needed any other extra thing.Besides to what all of you have said, I will add
-Someone On The Dark ( beautiful song and voice here )
-Beautiful Girl ( demo)

But speaking specifically of the fullest technical I may say that Earth Song is the one.

Beautiful thread bdw

I'm not a professional either, but it is interesting to here what 'professionals' have to say:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/135477-Michael-Jackson-s-vocal-range-(post-puberty)

Last edited:
Oh i forgot Got To Be There! just love his voice/technique on the song. One of my fav songs

Back