MJ's Interview With Smash Hits (Transcribed by me)

Tom

Proud Member
THE SMASH HITS INTERVIEW

CHRISTMAS 1982: IT’S JUST GONE MIDNIGHT IN THE SMASH HITS OFFICE WHEN A YOUNG MARK ELLEN PICKS UP THE PHONE. AT THE OTHER END, LIVE FROM LOS ANGELES, IS AN EVEN YOUNGER MICHAEL JACKSON, WHOSE NEW LP “THRILLER” HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED. THEIR 35-MINUTE CONVERSATION HAS GONE DOWN IN HISTORY AS MICHAEL’S LAST-EVER BRITISH INTERVIEW. NOW, 25[ YEARS LATER, WE REPRINT THEIR CLASSIC EXCHANGE IN FULL.

06/01/83 (6TH JANUARY, 1983 FOR YOU AMERICANS - TOM)

Your new LP “Thriller”, is out in Britain. Are you pleased with it?
It’s out already?

I’ve got a copy.
In the stores?

Well, it’s about to be. Are you pleased with it?
Oh, yeah, I’m pleased with it. I’m hap… I’m the kind of person that is never satisfied.

Which are your favourite tracks?
My favourite tracks are “Thriller”, um, “Billie Jean”, “Beat It”, “Starting Something”, “The Lady In My Life”. Stuff like that.

There’s all sorts of people on it, Vincent Price, for instance. How come you worked with him?
I’ve known Vincent ever since I was 11 years old. And when you think of “Thriller”… I mean who’s the king of horror who’s still alive? I mean Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre are dead now and the only giant who goes back to those days is Vincent Price so I thought he was the perfect voice. Actually it was Rod Temperton and Quincy (Jones) who actually thought of him ‘cause he is a friend and everything. He came in right away, it was no problem.

How about Eddie Van Halen?
I wrote a song called “Beat It” and we wanted a great solo, a guitar solo, so that night Quincy said, I have a great idea, um, um, you know, someone like Van Halen would be a good idea or Peter Townshend but Townshend and The Who are touring at the moment so we thought it would be a problem. So the next day, the very next day, Eddie was in the studio. He’s the kind of guy that kept worrying that his part was OK and he wanted to be just right. He’s a perfectionist.

How do you choose the songs?
Whatever’s the best. Whatever’s the best for today’s sound and today’s market. If it touches us personally we go ahead with it. And if I personally like it and Quincy personally likes it.

What qualities do you look for in the songs?
I just look for the music to be outstanding and especially, more than anything, the melody.

Who offered you songs that you didn’t accept? I heard there was one by Stevie Wonder?
Well, Stevie had a one which was good. It was a good song, more a danceable-type thing. There was also… ah, what’s his name?

David Grant?
I forget (laughs). There’s so much going on I forget. Steve is incredible. We went with more a danceable one but the song was great.

Why did you choose the title “Thriller”? You like movies a lot?
I love movies. All movies. But I don’t like scary movies.

Why not?
I can’t sleep after watching one, it just scares me.

What are your favourite movies?
Any Steven Spielberg movie.

Do you like E.T.?
I love E.T.

Why do you love it so much?
‘Cause it reminds me of me. The whole story, you know, someone from another world coming down and you becoming friends with them and this person’s like 800 years old and he’s filling you with all kinds of wisdom and he’s magic and he can teach you how to fly. It’s that whole fantast thing that I think is great. I mean who don’t want to fly?

What other films do you like?
I like the old MGM musical. I like thing with great acting, like Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey. I love Oliver! One of my friends lives there (England) - Mark Lester. He’s a friend of mine. Oliver! is one of my favourite films of all time. When he’s here, I visit him and we talk on the phone.

Why do you like that film in particular so much?
Ooooooh! It’s terrific! It’s Dickens’ story. I mean… it’s… it’s incredible. Lionel Bart’s music is unreal… it’s magic. I’m going to record that song in the future, one if the songs…

Which one?
“Where is love?”

Do you know other movie stars?
Yeah, being in the same field. Katharine Hepburn came to our concert on the last tout. That was the first concert she’d ever seen. The press were surprised. You know an actress of her stature and the whole Hollywood thing. They were surprised that she would even show up. That was the first concert that she’d ever been to.

What did she say about it?
She loved it. He told me she loved it and she asked me to come to dinner the next day but we had to move in to the next city, you know.

Do you have a hero or a heroine in movies that you would really like to meet?
Well, I wanted to meet Walt Disney but he died. And I wanted to meet Charlie Chaplin but he died. There’s nobody that I would really want to meet. I’m gonna work with Steven Spielberg.

Really. Doing what?
A film. We’re going to do a film together. He’s just putting the story and ideas together gradually working on ideas. You know I did the “E.T. Storybook” album and we just finished that. He and Quincy directed the whole thing, you know.

You haven’t done any acting since The Wiz, have you?
Right.

You’re looking forward to doing some more?
Oh, yeah.

Obviously most of your time, you’re involved in making music. What else are you interested in?
I don’t know really. It’s hard to take a break… ‘cause I’m always creating stuff… songwriting… and that’s mainly what I do (laughs) and I’m interested in films and acting and that sort of thing… I don’t really involve in sports or any of that stuff…

Whereabouts do you live?
We live in the valley of California.

What’s it like there?
It’s, ah, lots of orange trees and lots of lemon trees. The whole valley used to be an orange grove so everywhere you see is orange trees. And, ah, right now (laughs) there’s some mud ‘cause it’ been raining this morning but it’s nice and clear now, there’s blue skies out… and wind.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I like all music, all music. From classical to country to pop. I love Paul McCartney’s early solo stuff a lot.

You worked with him?
Oh yeah, it was a lot of fun. He’s wonderful. Linda’s very nice too. The whole family. Could you say “Hi” to them from me from America?

You’ve been so fantastically successful, do you feel you have a lot to live up to? Would you be upset if this LP wasn’t as successful as the last?
Um, Yeah. ‘Cause I always like to improve. I don’t like to take a step backwards. But it’s a whole ‘nother economy now…

You mean people aren’t buying as many records?
Yeah. That’s no excuse though.

In the ‘70s, why do you think you became so successful?
Probably that we were doing good songs, that we were fresh and new and different and we were real young and I don’t think that there was anything else like that out there. The Osmonds, they came along but they were like a copy of what we did. I like watching them - I’m not saying they weren’t good - I enjoyed what they did.

Do you still see your brothers?
Yeah.

And you still get along?
Very well.

In the late ‘70s, you were very representative of the “disco boom”. Is that something you’d like to get away from now?
I don’t think I do represent “disco”. We were doing ballads and all kinds of stuff. I wouldn’t call “One Day In Your Life” disco or “Never Can Say Goodbye” or “Rock With You”… um… um… I just like good dance music. They can label it whatever they want but as long as it’s dance music and people like it…

What English groups do you like?
I like Adam Ant’s drums. He’s a friend of mine also.

Didn’t you swap jackets or something?
Yes (laughs). I was bugging him a long time about his jackets, yeah. (Gives a little shriek of pleasure at the memory.) Yeah, we talk over the phone a lot. I love his drums on his songs. Will you say “Hi” to him from me, too?

How did you come to meet him?
I’ve never met him. We’re phone friends. Whenever he’s here he calls me. Like he calls me from the Greek theatre. When I’m in England I call him and we talk like we’ve known each other for years but we’ve never met or seen each other eye to eye.

Wouldn’t you like to meet him?
Yeah, I would, if our schedules meet (laughs).

What do you talk about?
We talk about different musical stuff and how to record drums and the sound he got on “Ant Music”. He likes my stuff and I like his and he talks about my dancing and I talk about his dressing.

Do you have a very technical approach to your music then?
No.

An emotional one then?
Yeah, it comes straight from the heart.

What’s the track that you’ve been most pleased with?
Probably on “Thriller”, “Baby Be Mine”. Actually, I can’t answer that ‘cause I’m never really pleased, never totally satisfied. I’m a real perfectionist.

Who would you like to work with that you haven’t yet?
Streisand is an example. We’re going to be doing a duet together. We’ll be writing it together. I love her singing.

What about Paul McCartney and Rupert Bear?
We talked about it a lot but I didn’t come to a decision on working on it. Sweet character…

Who? Rupert?
Yeah. He seems so innocent and charming, like no matter what he’s OK. And, you know, I got a couple of books here for Paul on Rupert. He’s real charming, He always reminds me of Winnie the Pooh.

Do you read a lot of books?
Yeah.

You’re obviously very interested in magical things and stories?
I love fairy tales. I like fantasy a lot, science fiction, I like magic. I like to create magic. I love magic. It doesn’t matter what you do, it’s got to be magic. Something that the person hears it or sees it, they’re just totally blown away. The unexpected is what I like.

Any particular writers?
I like J.M. Barrie. Mostly the older guys who aren’t here any more. Their imagination was just out of this world. Frank Baum who did the Oz books. I love Steven Spielberg, he’s the modern day Walt Disney. I gave Steven a great book which you can’t buy in the stores. It’s like this old company that used to make these set of books called Wisdom and it’s very hard to find them, but it’s the cover story, the hard-book story of Walt Disney and I gave it to Steven. And I wrote an inscription in it and he liked it so much, he said it was the best present he’d ever gotten. He told me he reads it every night before he goes to bed. At the back of it there’s all these quotations, like things Disney has said in interviews, like words of wisdom, like three whole pages, and we were just reading them together on the aeroplane. I mean he loves it. It’s a great book.

What did you inscribe in it?
I told Steven how Disney was one of the people who inspired me the most in my music and in so many things and that I felt that nobody has ever come along since Disney has died with his imagination and to fill his shoes and he, Steven Spielberg, was the only person who had inspired me like Walt Disney had inspired me. He gave me a big hug and everything. I mean he was great, he loves it, he says it’s the best present he ever got.

So you’re good friends?
Oh yeah, I mean every word of it.

When are you going to start filming?
Probably after The Jacksons’ album which we’ll start working on in January. Sometime after that we’ll just finalise the story and start moving. He’s making an animated movie, Steven; he wants me to come up with the story for it (giggles). He told me to start thinking of ideas ‘cause he wants me to work on it and I said, great. So I’ve been thinking like crazy.

What sort of part will you play in the film he’s making with you?
Gosh, I don’t know. It’s a futuristic fantasy-type of thing but they’re still not sure of the story so I don’t know the role or anything.

Do you go out much in public?
No, I don’t. I don’t go out.

So you watch films at home?
Yeah, we have a movie room. I saw a movie last night in our theatre. We have a theatre in the house where we have film shows. It seats like 32 people and if I want to see E.T. or something I just have it ordered, whatever I like to see.

Is your house big?
Ah, yeah, I guess. (giggles with embarrassment)

What other rooms are there?
We have a library. We have an exercise room… and Disney’s going to do a whole thing for me, The Pirates Of The Caribbean, in a display room. They’re going to have different parts of the Caribbean thing put in my game room. They never do stuff so I felt honoured that they’re going to do it for me. They’re going to put it in.

What, all the props?
“Animatronics” - where the faces move, the figures move, the eyebrows move, and their eyes and their bodies, and they shoot… When you step in this room there’ll be a whole war going on… Cannons shooting off and smoke puffing at one another and fighting… a whole war going on.

And that’s all going to be set up in your room?
Yup.

As an exhibition or just for you?
For me and for company. For whoever comes and wants to see it. They’re going to do the sound and the lighting and everything. Then there’s this games room…

What sort of games have you got in there?
Space Invaders and Star Fire and basketball games.

Are you good at them?
I’m good until some little kid comes along and beats me (laughs).

And there’s an exercise room?
Yeah. I don’t do exercise but it’s there for other people. A sauna and stuff like that. It’s just a place where, after you work hard, you can come and relax and have a good time and entertain your friends.

Who do you live with?
Just my mother and my two sisters and my father. I still live with my folks. I’d die of loneliness if I moved out. Plus I couldn’t control the fans and stuff. I’d be surrounded. I’d never leave the house but here there’s guards. Security… a whole set-up.

So you rarely go out?
Very rarely.

Do you ever get mobbed?
Oh, yes.

Is it frightening?
No, it’s more fun ‘cause you get to turn and beck and hide. But once they get you trapped it’s not fun.

What happens then?
They start kissing you and pulling you and tearing your clothes and tearing your hair out of your head… I’ve gone to certain countries and I’ll walk along and there’s a fan and she’ll go, “Oh my God!” and she’ll show me a piece of hair and say, “I took this out of your head two years ago”, this piece of hair in her wallet.

How do you feel about things like that?
I don’t know… it’s strange.

So how do you travel? Do you fly and drive everywhere?
Yeah and we have security with us. We have a private jet.

And you have bodyguards, presumably?
Yeah, I have to.

Would you say you lived a normal life?
Ah, no, I can’t say that.

Do you ever long to lead a normal life?
No, I’m happy the way I am. I’m happy the way I am.

Do you like groups like The Human League and Soft Cell?
Yeah, I like those groups. I like ‘em. My favourite English group will always be The Beatles ‘cause they had real good songs. A lot of the bands today have more musical sounds and different sounds and things you’ve never heard, but melody and great lyrics is not there. They always had great melody and lyrics - even if it was just a harmonica playing in the background, the melody was the feature of the whole song.

What’s your favourite Beatles song?
My favourite Beatles song is Paul’s favourite Beatles song.

Which is that?
“Yesterday”. It always touched me the most. It was always special to me. I think it’s wonderful, the melody and the music and the whole feeling.

Do you think anyone’s come near The Beatles’ songwriting quality?
Yeah. Holland, Dozier; Holland.

Do you have any particular favourites of theirs?
All of them. That whole ‘60s period to me - with Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles and Motown - was the best musical time in history.

Why?
‘Cause they were real songs. Real good songs. Today a writer will have success and then just celebrate the rest of his life and just forget about writing ever again - no self-control, he’s partying the rest of his life. Back then people just kept trying, kept coming up with great stuff.

What about the ‘70s?
I like Elton John’s stuff - terrific. Bernie Taupin. “Yellow Brick Road” and “Bennie And The Jets”. All that stuff. That’s great stuff.

What did you like about him?
His image with the feathers and the glasses I thought was good but they were good songs. We’re good friends.

Who else do you know in England?
These are the people I visit there: Mark Lester, the McCartneys, I talk to Adam Ant a lot too on the phone. I know Elton. I know a great songwriter called Don Black…

Where will you be for Christmas?
I’ll be at home.

And what would you like?
Actually, I don’t celebrate Christmas. We just sit round the fire, watch the parade or whatever. We don’t really do anything special. We just enjoy the weather. I mean it’s 70 or 80 degrees, Christmas out here. We just don’t do anything. It’s hot. It’s burning up.

END OF INTERVIEW

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it. My fingers are killing me. If you would like the complete transcript just send me a PM and I will give you the file.
Thank you!

Thanks for posting Tom - I got a copy of the Smash Hits special edition, good to have them back!!!!

I also have the original copy of Smash Hits from 1982 featuring this interview. Got it in a vintage record store a few years ago for 20p.

I'm sure there are a few fans on here who would find the magazine hard to access before it goes (in true Smash Hits speak) Down the Dumper! PURLEEASE!!!

ooooooooh!!! I loooooved this! :yes:
Thanks for the transcript! I always love to read his interviews.

so sad to hear him talk so foundly of scumbag mark lester

thanks for the interview! i wish he could elaborate a bit more on which 80s artists he used to like or just songs that he liked..cool that MJ liked adams jackets :)

Hi tomthedude, that was it? he didn't do any more interviews with Smash Hits? wow, what a disappointment. one of my other favorite groups is Pet Shop Boys. I've always wanted to know if MJ liked PSB. so it'd have been nice to get another interview later on in the '80s. oh well.

oh, and may I have the complete transcript, please? thank you so much for posting this!

*imagining MJ's little shriek of pleasure*

and this is funny!

::You’ve been so fantastically successful, do you feel you have a lot to live up to? Would you be upset if this LP wasn’t as successful as the last?::

lol!!

He was one SMART guy, amazing interview, thanks for posting, this was a much secure Michael

We have a library. We have an exercise room… and Disney’s going to do a whole thing for me, The Pirates Of The Caribbean, in a display room. They’re going to have different parts of the Caribbean thing put in my game room. They never do stuff so I felt honoured that they’re going to do it for me. They’re going to put it in.

he must have seen the movies i guess,

i love his taste in music, just amazing, i love magical, fantasy stories too, wow, he was just awesome
Steven was born the same day i was born (diffrent year) he is a sagitarious and Walt was a sagitarious too, i feel good for it, hahah

Thanks for typing this up. MJ is such a kid. You can see how he has matured since then. You can also tell that he was a star struck person almost boasting about his friendship with Hepburn, Spielberg etc...such a kid. He was 24/25 back then; pretty young.

That's an absolutely adorable interview!. Thanks so much for posting :). I loved it.

It's true he souded like a child in many ways. And kind of starstuck :).

Quite talkative, more than in the other interviews I've seen, aparently.

Oh, and I love that he loved Paul McCartney's early solo carer. I love it too. And that he loved The Beatles so much (I'm a HUGE fan).

Great interview.

"Do you like E.T.?
I love E.T.

‘Cause it reminds me of me. The whole story, you know, someone from another world coming down and you becoming friends with them and this person’s like 800 years old and he’s filling you with all kinds of wisdom and he’s magic and he can teach you how to fly. It’s that whole fantast thing that I think is great. I mean who don’t want to fly?"

Adorable. Love it.

THE SMASH HITS INTERVIEW

CHRISTMAS 1982: IT’S JUST GONE MIDNIGHT IN THE SMASH HITS OFFICE WHEN A YOUNG MARK ELLEN PICKS UP THE PHONE. AT THE OTHER END, LIVE FROM LOS ANGELES, IS AN EVEN YOUNGER MICHAEL JACKSON, WHOSE NEW LP “THRILLER” HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED. THEIR 35-MINUTE CONVERSATION HAS GONE DOWN IN HISTORY AS MICHAEL’S LAST-EVER BRITISH INTERVIEW. NOW, 25[ YEARS LATER, WE REPRINT THEIR CLASSIC EXCHANGE IN FULL.

06/01/83 (6TH JANUARY, 1983 FOR YOU AMERICANS - TOM)

Your new LP “Thriller”, is out in Britain. Are you pleased with it?

It’s out already?

I’ve got a copy.
In the stores?

Well, it’s about to be. Are you pleased with it?
Oh, yeah, I’m pleased with it. I’m hap… I’m the kind of person that is never satisfied.

Which are your favourite tracks?
My favourite tracks are “Thriller”, um, “Billie Jean”, “Beat It”, “Starting Something”, “The Lady In My Life”. Stuff like that.

There’s all sorts of people on it, Vincent Price, for instance. How come you worked with him?
I’ve known Vincent ever since I was 11 years old. And when you think of “Thriller”… I mean who’s the king of horror who’s still alive? I mean Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre are dead now and the only giant who goes back to those days is Vincent Price so I thought he was the perfect voice. Actually it was Rod Temperton and Quincy (Jones) who actually thought of him ‘cause he is a friend and everything. He came in right away, it was no problem.

How about Eddie Van Halen?
I wrote a song called “Beat It” and we wanted a great solo, a guitar solo, so that night Quincy said, I have a great idea, um, um, you know, someone like Van Halen would be a good idea or Peter Townshend but Townshend and The Who are touring at the moment so we thought it would be a problem. So the next day, the very next day, Eddie was in the studio. He’s the kind of guy that kept worrying that his part was OK and he wanted to be just right. He’s a perfectionist.

How do you choose the songs?
Whatever’s the best. Whatever’s the best for today’s sound and today’s market. If it touches us personally we go ahead with it. And if I personally like it and Quincy personally likes it.

What qualities do you look for in the songs?
I just look for the music to be outstanding and especially, more than anything, the melody.

Who offered you songs that you didn’t accept? I heard there was one by Stevie Wonder?
Well, Stevie had a one which was good. It was a good song, more a danceable-type thing. There was also… ah, what’s his name?

David Grant?
I forget (laughs). There’s so much going on I forget. Steve is incredible. We went with more a danceable one but the song was great.

Why did you choose the title “Thriller”? You like movies a lot?
I love movies. All movies. But I don’t like scary movies.

Why not?
I can’t sleep after watching one, it just scares me.

What are your favourite movies?
Any Steven Spielberg movie.

Do you like E.T.?
I love E.T.

‘Cause it reminds me of me. The whole story, you know, someone from another world coming down and you becoming friends with them and this person’s like 800 years old and he’s filling you with all kinds of wisdom and he’s magic and he can teach you how to fly. It’s that whole fantast thing that I think is great. I mean who don’t want to fly?

What other films do you like?
I like the old MGM musical. I like thing with great acting, like Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey. I love Oliver! One of my friends lives there (England) - Mark Lester. He’s a friend of mine. Oliver! is one of my favourite films of all time. When he’s here, I visit him and we talk on the phone.

Why do you like that film in particular so much?
Ooooooh! It’s terrific! It’s Dickens’ story. I mean… it’s… it’s incredible. Lionel Bart’s music is unreal… it’s magic. I’m going to record that song in the future, one if the songs…

Which one?
“Where is love?”

Do you know other movie stars?
Yeah, being in the same field. Katharine Hepburn came to our concert on the last tout. That was the first concert she’d ever seen. The press were surprised. You know an actress of her stature and the whole Hollywood thing. They were surprised that she would even show up. That was the first concert that she’d ever been to.

What did she say about it?
She loved it. He told me she loved it and she asked me to come to dinner the next day but we had to move in to the next city, you know.

Do you have a hero or a heroine in movies that you would really like to meet?
Well, I wanted to meet Walt Disney but he died. And I wanted to meet Charlie Chaplin but he died. There’s nobody that I would really want to meet. I’m gonna work with Steven Spielberg.

Really. Doing what?
A film. We’re going to do a film together. He’s just putting the story and ideas together gradually working on ideas. You know I did the “E.T. Storybook” album and we just finished that. He and Quincy directed the whole thing, you know.

You haven’t done any acting since The Wiz, have you?
Right.

You’re looking forward to doing some more?
Oh, yeah.

Obviously most of your time, you’re involved in making music. What else are you interested in?
I don’t know really. It’s hard to take a break… ‘cause I’m always creating stuff… songwriting… and that’s mainly what I do (laughs) and I’m interested in films and acting and that sort of thing… I don’t really involve in sports or any of that stuff…

Whereabouts do you live?
We live in the valley of California.

What’s it like there?
It’s, ah, lots of orange trees and lots of lemon trees. The whole valley used to be an orange grove so everywhere you see is orange trees. And, ah, right now (laughs) there’s some mud ‘cause it’ been raining this morning but it’s nice and clear now, there’s blue skies out… and wind.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I like all music, all music. From classical to country to pop. I love Paul McCartney’s early solo stuff a lot.

You worked with him?
Oh yeah, it was a lot of fun. He’s wonderful. Linda’s very nice too. The whole family. Could you say “Hi” to them from me from America?

You’ve been so fantastically successful, do you feel you have a lot to live up to? Would you be upset if this LP wasn’t as successful as the last?
Um, Yeah. ‘Cause I always like to improve. I don’t like to take a step backwards. But it’s a whole ‘nother economy now…

You mean people aren’t buying as many records?
Yeah. That’s no excuse though.

In the ‘70s, why do you think you became so successful?
Probably that we were doing good songs, that we were fresh and new and different and we were real young and I don’t think that there was anything else like that out there. The Osmonds, they came along but they were like a copy of what we did. I like watching them - I’m not saying they weren’t good - I enjoyed what they did.

Do you still see your brothers?
Yeah.

And you still get along?
Very well.

In the late ‘70s, you were very representative of the “disco boom”. Is that something you’d like to get away from now?
I don’t think I do represent “disco”. We were doing ballads and all kinds of stuff. I wouldn’t call “One Day In Your Life” disco or “Never Can Say Goodbye” or “Rock With You”… um… um… I just like good dance music. They can label it whatever they want but as long as it’s dance music and people like it…

What English groups do you like?
I like Adam Ant’s drums. He’s a friend of mine also.

Didn’t you swap jackets or something?
Yes (laughs). I was bugging him a long time about his jackets, yeah. (Gives a little shriek of pleasure at the memory.) Yeah, we talk over the phone a lot. I love his drums on his songs. Will you say “Hi” to him from me, too?

How did you come to meet him?
I’ve never met him. We’re phone friends. Whenever he’s here he calls me. Like he calls me from the Greek theatre. When I’m in England I call him and we talk like we’ve known each other for years but we’ve never met or seen each other eye to eye.

Wouldn’t you like to meet him?
Yeah, I would, if our schedules meet (laughs).

What do you talk about?
We talk about different musical stuff and how to record drums and the sound he got on “Ant Music”. He likes my stuff and I like his and he talks about my dancing and I talk about his dressing.

Do you have a very technical approach to your music then?
No.

An emotional one then?
Yeah, it comes straight from the heart.

What’s the track that you’ve been most pleased with?
Probably on “Thriller”, “Baby Be Mine”. Actually, I can’t answer that ‘cause I’m never really pleased, never totally satisfied. I’m a real perfectionist.

Who would you like to work with that you haven’t yet?
Streisand is an example. We’re going to be doing a duet together. We’ll be writing it together. I love her singing.

What about Paul McCartney and Rupert Bear?
We talked about it a lot but I didn’t come to a decision on working on it. Sweet character…

Who? Rupert?
Yeah. He seems so innocent and charming, like no matter what he’s OK. And, you know, I got a couple of books here for Paul on Rupert. He’s real charming, He always reminds me of Winnie the Pooh.

Do you read a lot of books?
Yeah.

You’re obviously very interested in magical things and stories?
I love fairy tales. I like fantasy a lot, science fiction, I like magic. I like to create magic. I love magic. It doesn’t matter what you do, it’s got to be magic. Something that the person hears it or sees it, they’re just totally blown away. The unexpected is what I like.

Any particular writers?
I like J.M. Barrie. Mostly the older guys who aren’t here any more. Their imagination was just out of this world. Frank Baum who did the Oz books. I love Steven Spielberg, he’s the modern day Walt Disney. I gave Steven a great book which you can’t buy in the stores. It’s like this old company that used to make these set of books called Wisdom and it’s very hard to find them, but it’s the cover story, the hard-book story of Walt Disney and I gave it to Steven. And I wrote an inscription in it and he liked it so much, he said it was the best present he’d ever gotten. He told me he reads it every night before he goes to bed. At the back of it there’s all these quotations, like things Disney has said in interviews, like words of wisdom, like three whole pages, and we were just reading them together on the aeroplane. I mean he loves it. It’s a great book.

What did you inscribe in it?
I told Steven how Disney was one of the people who inspired me the most in my music and in so many things and that I felt that nobody has ever come along since Disney has died with his imagination and to fill his shoes and he, Steven Spielberg, was the only person who had inspired me like Walt Disney had inspired me. He gave me a big hug and everything. I mean he was great, he loves it, he says it’s the best present he ever got.

So you’re good friends?
Oh yeah, I mean every word of it.

When are you going to start filming?
Probably after The Jacksons’ album which we’ll start working on in January. Sometime after that we’ll just finalise the story and start moving. He’s making an animated movie, Steven; he wants me to come up with the story for it (giggles). He told me to start thinking of ideas ‘cause he wants me to work on it and I said, great. So I’ve been thinking like crazy.

What sort of part will you play in the film he’s making with you?
Gosh, I don’t know. It’s a futuristic fantasy-type of thing but they’re still not sure of the story so I don’t know the role or anything.

Do you go out much in public?
No, I don’t. I don’t go out.

So you watch films at home?
Yeah, we have a movie room. I saw a movie last night in our theatre. We have a theatre in the house where we have film shows. It seats like 32 people and if I want to see E.T. or something I just have it ordered, whatever I like to see.

Is your house big?
Ah, yeah, I guess. (giggles with embarrassment)

What, all the props?
“Animatronics” - where the faces move, the figures move, the eyebrows move, and their eyes and their bodies, and they shoot… When you step in this room there’ll be a whole war going on… Cannons shooting off and smoke puffing at one another and fighting… a whole war going on.

And that’s all going to be set up in your room?
Yup.

As an exhibition or just for you?
For me and for company. For whoever comes and wants to see it. They’re going to do the sound and the lighting and everything. Then there’s this games room…

What sort of games have you got in there?
Space Invaders and Star Fire and basketball games.

Are you good at them?
I’m good until some little kid comes along and beats me (laughs).

And there’s an exercise room?
Yeah. I don’t do exercise but it’s there for other people. A sauna and stuff like that. It’s just a place where, after you work hard, you can come and relax and have a good time and entertain your friends.

Who do you live with?
Just my mother and my two sisters and my father. I still live with my folks. I’d die of loneliness if I moved out. Plus I couldn’t control the fans and stuff. I’d be surrounded. I’d never leave the house but here there’s guards. Security… a whole set-up.

So you rarely go out?
Very rarely.

Do you ever get mobbed?
Oh, yes.

Is it frightening?
No, it’s more fun ‘cause you get to turn and beck and hide. But once they get you trapped it’s not fun.

What happens then?
They start kissing you and pulling you and tearing your clothes and tearing your hair out of your head… I’ve gone to certain countries and I’ll walk along and there’s a fan and she’ll go, “Oh my God!” and she’ll show me a piece of hair and say, “I took this out of your head two years ago”, this piece of hair in her wallet.

How do you feel about things like that?
I don’t know… it’s strange.

So how do you travel? Do you fly and drive everywhere?
Yeah and we have security with us. We have a private jet.

And you have bodyguards, presumably?
Yeah, I have to.

Would you say you lived a normal life?
Ah, no, I can’t say that.

Do you ever long to lead a normal life?
No, I’m happy the way I am. I’m happy the way I am.

Yeah, I like those groups. I like ‘em. My favourite English group will always be The Beatles ‘cause they had real good songs. A lot of the bands today have more musical sounds and different sounds and things you’ve never heard, but melody and great lyrics is not there. They always had great melody and lyrics - even if it was just a harmonica playing in the background, the melody was the feature of the whole song.

What’s your favourite Beatles song?
My favourite Beatles song is Paul’s favourite Beatles song.

Which is that?
“Yesterday”. It always touched me the most. It was always special to me. I think it’s wonderful, the melody and the music and the whole feeling.

Do you think anyone’s come near The Beatles’ songwriting quality?
Yeah. Holland, Dozier; Holland.

Do you have any particular favourites of theirs?
All of them. That whole ‘60s period to me - with Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles and Motown - was the best musical time in history.

Why?
‘Cause they were real songs. Real good songs. Today a writer will have success and then just celebrate the rest of his life and just forget about writing ever again - no self-control, he’s partying the rest of his life. Back then people just kept trying, kept coming up with great stuff.

What about the ‘70s?
I like Elton John’s stuff - terrific. Bernie Taupin. “Yellow Brick Road” and “Bennie And The Jets”. All that stuff. That’s great stuff.

What did you like about him?
His image with the feathers and the glasses I thought was good but they were good songs. We’re good friends.

Who else do you know in England?
These are the people I visit there: Mark Lester, the McCartneys, I talk to Adam Ant a lot too on the phone. I know Elton. I know a great songwriter called Don Black…

Where will you be for Christmas?
I’ll be at home.

And what would you like?
Actually, I don’t celebrate Christmas. We just sit round the fire, watch the parade or whatever. We don’t really do anything special. We just enjoy the weather. I mean it’s 70 or 80 degrees, Christmas out here. We just don’t do anything. It’s hot. It’s burning up.

END OF INTERVIEW

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it. My fingers are killing me. If you would like the complete transcript just send me a PM and I will give you the file.
Thank you!
Feeling very nostalgic about this 1983 Smash Hits interview with Michael. I'd forgotten that it was his last ever UK interview. That says quite a lot. 🙁

This transcript is nice and easy to read so thought I'd bump it.

This quote is interesting:

In Marc Almond's autobiography he mentions the fact that Michael came to see Soft Cell (not sure which year this was). Marc Almond passed up the chance to meet Michael afterwards - he doesn't explain why. Apparently, Michael was watching from the wings, wearing one of his sparkly jackets.

Last edited:
this is a nice slice of ‘83 magic’ to brighten up my day 💜 just what I needed. thanks for bringing this back to our attention.

notice how it was positive, and focused on michael’s career and potential? he seemed so happy. 💜 that’s the way things were back then. that’s why I focus on this particular time period 💜

I was already aware of the majority of this information - except for the guitarist who almost played on ‘beat it’.

it would be be nice to have a physical copy of this magazine. I tend to look at archive footage more than anything else. I could start storing early eighties/late seventies articles/interviews though..

Thanks for posting this.

It's always interesting to read interviews from that era, which is before the King of Pop persona and before all the controversies. MJ was much less guarded back then, and he'd give simpler, more matter-of-fact answers. Later on he tended to stick to a more distant approach.

this is a nice slice of ‘83 magic’ to brighten up my day 💜 just what I needed. thanks for bringing this back to our attention.
You're welcome. I came across the thread quite by accident, was looking for something else entirely but I'm glad I found it. It's an odd little thread bc it's entitled 'Magazine adverts' but there's quite a bit of stuff in there, including the Smash Hits interview, that is interesting to read and isn't an actual advert, lol.

notice how it was positive, and focused on michael’s career and potential? he seemed so happy. 💜 that’s the way things were back then. that’s why I focus on this particular time period
Yes, this exactly what I loved about it. Positive, interesting, talking about his work. Of course, it wasn't going into any great depth bc it's a pop magazine but it was pretty good, even so. 3 pages! Gotta be happy with that.

I was already aware of the majority of this information - except for the guitarist who almost played on ‘beat it’.
Yeah, that bit was so interesting. Pete Townsend!! I didn't remember that little fun fact from back in the day so it came over as if it was new info. Was never very keen on Eddie van Halen's guitar style, tbh, but I think he suits the song way better than Pete Townsend's guitar style would have done (imo) so maybe it was all for the best.

it would be be nice to have a physical copy of this magazine. I tend to look at archive footage more than anything else. I could start storing early eighties/late seventies articles/interviews though..
On the magazine thread where I found the interview the actual mag is scanned in. I'm about to bump it again - different post - so if you haven't already checked it out I would urge you to do so. This transcription here is much easier to read, imo, but it is really nice to see the original layout and photos and so on.

Thanks for posting this.

It's always interesting to read interviews from that era, which is before the King of Pop persona
Exactly. I actually prefer the pre-King of Pop time for various reasons. I try to find stuff from that era for lots of different reasons whether it's print or a radio interview or whatever. The Diane Collins radio interview (which I didn't find, that was @staywild23) from 1983 I love. It's less than 22 minutes but there's so much in there.

and before all the controversies. MJ was much less guarded back then, and he'd give simpler, more matter-of-fact answers. Later on he tended to stick to a more distant approach.
It's sort of bittersweet. It's lovely to see / hear him being so relaxed and unguarded. Being so free with his answers. Sharing details of his life and work. But also very sad when compared to what is waiting for him further down the line. I don't blame him at all for closing down. Of course he did. Who wouldn't? But it's so sad to see bc his natural persona seems to be upbeat, optimistic, energetic, happy, spontaneous ... really lovely to see.

Back