Most underrated Michael Jackson song?

JM77

Proud Member
What do you think is the most underrated Michael Jackson song that deserves more credit and listeners?
One of the few I think about includes, 'Break of Dawn' from the Invincible album. To me, Break of Dawn is such an amazing song from start to finish. The music, the voice, the lyrics - it gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Being one of my favorite MJ songs, I think that it definitely deserves to be recognized more! In fact, all of the songs on the Invincible album were underrated in my opinion. Even the LEAD single, 'You Rock My World', should have been a No. 1 hit worldwide (No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100) - could have been released today and slay everything else on the radio!

you-rock-my-world-mj-o.gif

Last edited:
I honestly think that the song Ghosts and the accompanying film should have gotten more recognition. If it was not for thriller, the public would have accepted it much more. At the time it was constantly compared to thriller. What a shame.

The song has an infectious beat with complex vocal harmonies and a lead vocal which only Michael can do. The sound elements used in the song were experimental and all of it still sounds relevant today.

It should be a number one hit song.

Invincible (the song). Such a great track. Underrated even in the fan community. In the media every song from Invincible album is underrated.

Baby Be Mine! Such a breezy great song and I love his vocals on this! and definitely Ghosts. Both short movie and song.

I agree with Onir and JM77, Invincible the song and the album as well.

Baby Be Mine! Such a breezy great song and I love his vocals on this! and definitely Ghosts. Both short movie and song.

I hope Chris Rock is not one of our trolls :busted::lol:

Unbreakable, Invincible and I have seen that a lot of people don't like Heal The World, which is amazing

I hardly ever hear fans talk about these MJ songs:

Why You Wanna Trip On Me
Scared Of The Moon
Hot Street
Got The Hots
Someone Put Your Hand Out
Sunset Driver
Abortion Papers

Which I think are all amazing songs. Most especially the last 2. When ever I feel more up to listen to him. Since I still on most days find it hard to listen to him. Abortion Papers is one of my most played songs of his. So is Got The Hots and Someone Put Your Hand Out. I might be wrong about SPYHO. But I hardly ever see fans talking about that song. Which I think is such an amazing song.

Unbreakable, Invincible and I have seen that a lot of people don't like Heal The World, which is amazing

Heal the World is one of his most liked songs in the East. It was covered by one of the high profile singers in 2009 or so. This was probably one of the first covers of a western song.

Up to 2012, every song after Thriller.
After 2012, every song after Bad

On a more serious note(that doesn't mean the statements said above are wrong - you know they're right); Little Susie. This song deserves a much better treatment. Many thematic and symbstic songs are studied and interpreted; but this song - which has a jarring concept and meaning - has been buried under the very stupid label "Disney". Something tells me most people didn't even listen to it. It astonishes me that critics dismiss an artist's work so easily - just because they led a very troubled life. They need to understand that as a music critic, their job is to comment on the music, not the musician.

"Stranger In Moscow" is very underrated. I consider it to be the greatest song on HIStory and one of Michael's greatest songs of all time. One of the main reasons it flopped as a single in the United States is because it was released as a single in that territory almost a year after it was released elsewhere and more than two years after the HIStory album was released. Had the song been released as a single in the United States much earlier, it would have been more successful.

"Break Of Dawn" and "Whatever Happens" are also very underrated. I consider the latter to be the greatest song on Invincible. Both of them certainly should have been released as a single.

Last edited:
Maybe Invincible the song is underrated but certainly not the album. There are new Invincible threads almost every week. Michael's albums with the Jackson's are more underrated.

Up to 2012, every song after Thriller.
After 2012, every song after Bad

On a more serious note(that doesn't mean the statements said above are wrong - you know they're right); Little Susie. This song deserves a much better treatment. Many thematic and symbstic songs are studied and interpreted; but this song - which has a jarring concept and meaning - has been buried under the very stupid label "Disney". Something tells me most people didn't even listen to it. It astonishes me that critics dismiss an artist's work so easily - just because they led a very troubled life. They need to understand that as a music critic, their job is to comment on the music, not the musician.
Well said. I may not like a song, because of my subjective taste, BUT I always expected a music critic to review music fairly-and it would irk me to no end that so many of Michael's albums reviews focused on the personal side and NOT on the music.

I agree with IMWhizzle, Ghosts is a wonderful song, not just for that video, but the singing, with the deep harmony and thoughtful chorus. Even better is to listen to it with its companion piece Is It Scary. It is even better together and that is just not the fact I am keyed into the spirit world and are endlessly fascinated by the undead and the spirits that walk amongst us. It bonds me to Michael Jackson as he was very spiritually conscious as well. Yet the song also sings of the feelings of jealousy and self questioning.

Other underated songs are Keep the Faith and Gone too Soon off Dangerous, both are beautiful songs, one a positive keep your head up jam and the other a beautioful ballad about a friend who died. I really think all the music from OTW to Bad is given its adequate props and rightly so, but Dangerous onwards, it is not given all the props it deserves beyond the big smashes.

Little Susie, Smile are underated off history, but I would say You are not alone too, as even though the song was a huge hit, I know many people here do not like the song at all and I can not understand why, it is so beautiful and heartfelt.

Beyond solo music, I would say most of the songs off The Jacksons, Destiny and Triumph are criminally under rated, apart from Can you feel it, Blame it on the Boogie and Shake your body down to the ground, so many of these songs are not given their props. Especially Walk Right Now and Heartbreak Hotel, Enjoy Yourself, Dreamer, Show you the way to go. All classics and yet barely remembered by many.

Other underated songs are Keep the Faith and Gone too Soon off Dangerous, both are beautiful songs

:yes: I love these two songs!

Gone Too Soon got a lot of attention around Michael's death I remember, some absolutely beautiful vocals in that one ESPECIALLY when he sings Born to amuse! To inspire! To deliiiiiggghhtttt!!! Here one day... gone one night...

Keep the Faith is definitely a quiet child, it feels more like an 80s song to me than a 90s song, but I just love the way the song comes together with the choir at it's climax... I think I might go put it on now actually :D

You Are Not Alone is underrated I agree. However, it was a very successful single; it's one of his 10 biggest hits (according to the charts of US, UK, France, Spain and Australia).

Back