MOTOWN 50th Anniversary - Michael & The Jackson 5

Buttercup is stunning. MJ's vocals are goosebump-raising. A comment on the YouTube says the backup vocals are Stevie's backup group WonderLove. But surely it's the J5 brothers? They're smooth as honey.

Oooo! The video for BUTTERCUP in your link has some rare pictures I've never seen before. Sweet!

Yep, it's the same youtube vid that raisa posted...really nice.
Of all the tracks we've been able to listen, Buttercup is my fav :D

EXCLUSIVE! Russ Terrana’s Heartfelt “Message To Michael" On The Release Of The New Jackson 5 Album!

November 11th, 2009

By Joe Klein

All of us at New Media Creative are very excited for our good friend RUSS TERRANA, the legendary Motown Records sound recording engineer who recorded and mixed no less than 92 NUMBER ONE RECORDS during his illustrious and decades-long career!

Yesterday marked the release of the first “new” JACKSON 5 album in decades! The album, called I WANT YOU BACK! UNRELEASED MASTERS is a collection of a dozen previously unreleased tracks recorded by The J5 back in their early years at Motown Records (1969-1970) at the same time they were recording their early smash hits at the label. The entire album was mixed down by Russ in this past September!

Russ mixed all of the early Jackson 5 hits while still working for Motown in their Detroit studios. The first Motown Jackson 5 tracks were recorded in Detroit in the summer of 1969, with producer BOBBY TAYLOR. At that time, Berry Gordy began to migrate Motown to Hollywood (where they ultimately totally relocated by 1972.) He moved his hot new “boy band” out to L.A. and finished recording the first Jackson 5 album in a small studio in the West Hollywood area of L.A. Taylor produced a few more songs, and a new production team, THE CORPORATION, comprised of Gordy, FREDDIE PERRIN, DEKE RICHARDS and ALPHONZO MIZELL, produced two songs, one of which was I WANT YOU BACK.

Gordy was not happy with the original mixes of the album made in L.A. and sent the tapes back to Detroit to have his resident “mix-master” Russ remix the the album

Berry loved Russ’ new mixes and released them as the debut Jackson 5 album, DIANA ROSS PRESENTS THE JACKSON 5 in December of 1969. The album quickly rocketed up the charts, hitting #1 on the R&B charts and #5 on the pop charts in the months to follow. The only single from that first album, I WANT YOU BACK, was itself a #1 smash that set the tone for a string of #1 hit singles and albums to follow (all of which were also mixed by Russ) and, the rest is, as they say “music history!”

Early this year, just as the celebration of Motown’s Fiftieth Anniversary had begun” and preparations for the fortieth anniversary of the first Jackson 5 releases were getting underway, Universal Music Enterprises started searching the Motown vaults and unearthed a stash of old Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 master tapes with the hopes of unearthing a few hidden gems to release this year.

They company hit pay dirt in the spring and started reviewing the newly-found masters to determine which were good candidates for a release late this year. Then came the sudden, tragic death of Michael in late in June which, naturally gave the “lost tracks” new historical significance.

HARRY WEINGER, vice president of A&R for UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES, the company responsible for the creation and packaging of the Motown Records catalog of hits, passed along this information to me last month. “I started looking through J5 and MJ Motown masters earlier this year in anticipation of the J5’s 40th anniversary. Obviously, when we heard the news of Michael’s death, what was there got a bigger spotlight.”

In August, Weinger contacted Russ and asked him he would be interested in mixing eleven newly discovered J5 tracks from 1970. It took Russ all of a few seconds to reply and, within a couple of weeks, the digital files of eleven old Jackson 5 multi-track masters were delivered to Russ. Russ then proceeded to meticulously mix down the old recordings in a state-of-the art digital recording facility located in Scots Valley, California called ROCKER STUDIOS, owned by his good friend, RICK VIERRA.

It took Russ and Rick about a month to complete the eleven on the mixes for a month, completing the project at the end of September. We broke the story about this exciting new release in mid-September and UME made the “official “ announcement about the new album early in October.

RUSS TERRANA MIXING THE NEW JACKSON 5 ALBUM

In a blog story we posted last month, Russ described the project as one of the most rewarding experiences of his professional life, and was moved by the process of mixing the tracks. “It really was a labor of love,” he remarked in the article.

The tracks sound great! Russ managed to capture and perfectly emulate the sounds he first molded and blended decades ago that sold tens of millions of singles and albums for the label. Listening to the just-released J5 tracks is, as Russ himself described the mixing process, is “like stepping back in a time machine.”

The new J5 album, like all the projects Russ touched during his amazing career, is nothing short of a masterpiece, particularly from the standpoint of its impeccable vintage substance—and sound. It’s definitely worth a listen, and a purchase to complete any collection of early Jackson family classics!

I managed to reach Russ on the phone just as the album was becoming available yesterday and asked him about how he felt on this day of the release of the new Jackson 5 album “It’s about time!” he quipped. “Seriously Joe, this really is exciting. I can’t remember the last time I was this excited about the release of an album I have mixed!”

I asked Russ if there were any other thoughts or feeling he’d like to share about the project.

“It really was a thrill to work on this album. Mixing those tracks stirred up so many memories and emotions about all the time I spent working with Michael and his brothers. It really was a rewarding experience I’ll never forget.”

Last night, Russ sent me an awesome and memorable photo he took at a Motown Records company picnic in the early seventies. It’s a photo of a beaming young Michael holding his baby niece, STACEE BROWN, the daughter of his oldest sister, MAUREEN REILETTE “REBBIE” JACKSON. This particular photo has never been published, and captures a rare moment with Michael and demonstrates just how much he always loved children, even as a young teenager himself!

Kudos to my long-time friend Russ Terrana for another job well done, and his own vital role in yet one more piece of pop music history……It’s great to see that those good old “ears” are still working great!

Next week, we’ll be posting an article that is an extensive and comprehensive look at the career, accomplishments and techniques of the humble genius with more number one records to his credit than any other sound engineer in music history. It’s a story you won’t want to miss!

Russ added one last comment at the end of our phone call yesterday, a heartfelt message from one of the people so responsible for the creation of the early Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson solo hits. “This one’s from me to Michael, and, now, for the world.”

Well said,old friend!

(They just mentioned Michael while showing a shot from inside the Motown museum, of his hat & glove)

The Label’s Newest Stars Join Forces To Perform Classics From Motown’s All-American Songbook

Thanksgiving, is the setting for a special celebration of a quintessentially American musical treasure: the classic songs of Motown. NFL fans will be dancing in their seats at home and at Ford Field in Detroit during the 2009 United Way Thanksgiving Day Halftime Show: A Motown 50th Anniversary Tribute. The Motown tribute will take place during halftime of the first game of the NFL’s Thanksgiving tripleheader when the Detroit Lions host the Green Bay Packers on Thursday, November 26 at 12:30 PM ET on FOX.

In Motown’s original hometown, this special halftime event features six of the brightest talents from the current roster of Universal Motown Records, performing classics from Motown’s all-American songbook.

http://classic.motown.com/news.aspx?bid=106

MsMO, thanks for posting those! Goosebumps galore, seeing the "Motown of the future" honoring the "Motown of the past." Such great songs and artists, with the "dancers in the street" in their one glittery glove.... that great rendition of "I'll Be There" with everyone waving their arms the way MJ would... heartwarming and inspiring.

(So hard to understand opposition to this).

MsMO, thanks for posting those! Goosebumps galore, seeing the "Motown of the future" honoring the "Motown of the past." Such great songs and artists, with the "dancers in the street" in their one glittery glove.... that great rendition of "I'll Be There" with everyone waving their arms the way MJ would... heartwarming and inspiring.

(So hard to understand opposition to this).

U R welcome :cheeky:

J5%2040th%20Anniversary.jpg

Jackson 5: Happy 40th Anniversary!

Classic Jackson 5 Albums Return to CD & Vinyl -- Michael Jackson's Four Solo Motown Albums Also Reissued on Vinyl

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- After being out of print individually in any format for many years, six of the phenomenal Jackson 5's original albums will be reissued on CD and vinyl, while all four of Michael's solo '70s Motown albums are being reissued on vinyl by Motown/UMe on January 5, 2010.

With this year marking the 40th anniversary of the debut of the Jackson 5, the recent release of I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters, an acclaimed 12-track album of previously unheard Jackson 5 material, and the Jacksons' new A&E series, The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty, which offers unprecedented access to the personal and professional lives of Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon, the world has once again turned its attention to the brothers from Gary, Indiana....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...n-albums-also-reissued-on-vinyl-79524002.html

Last edited:
Jackson 5: Happy 40th Anniversary!

Classic Jackson 5 Albums Return to CD & Vinyl -- Michael Jackson's Four Solo Motown Albums Also Reissued on Vinyl

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- After being out of print individually in any format for many years, six of the phenomenal Jackson 5's original albums will be reissued on CD and vinyl, while all four of Michael's solo '70s Motown albums are being reissued on vinyl by Motown/UMe on January 5, 2010.

SIX albums only ? ? ? why not all J5 albums ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Back