MOTOWN 50th Anniversary - Michael & The Jackson 5

Motown Historic Museum site intro page features the Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back"

http://www.motownmuseum.com/ :)

egepop_01.jpg
j5pop_02.jpg
j5pop_03.jpg
j5pop_04.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Motown’s youngest soul superstars of all hailed from the steel-driven town of Gary, Indiana. Their Gordy hit “Does Your Mama Know About Me,” brought the Jackson 5 into the Hitsville, U.S.A. family after being introduced to them by Motown promo man Weldon A. McDougal III. But it was Berry Gordy himself whose supervision turned them into overnight superstars with a non-stop series of smashes that commenced in 1969 with the unstoppable “I Want You Back” (written by Gordy and three collaborators under the imposing handle of The Corporation) and continued with the equally relentless “ABC” and “The Love You Save” the following year. Recording in sunny L.A. rather that the Motor City, the J5 were a pop phenomenon of gargantuan proportions. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Wee Michael Jackson – a fleet-footed, youthful, soul dynamo from day one –and his older siblings Jackie, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon proved capable of more adult fare as their reign progressed. “I’ll Be There” was a silky, spine-chilling ballad that gave them four pop chart-toppers in a row, and in 1971 the quintet’s gentle yet insistent “Never Can Say Goodbye” further expanded their massive audience base.

Simultaneously, Michael spun off his first solo smash in late ‘71 with the distinctive ballad “Got To Be There” and nailed a pop chart-topper the following year by crooning a love song to a rodent named “Ben” without breaking stride from his talented brothers.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]All 17 of the J5's non-Yuletide singles for Motown placed in the R&B Top Ten, and they even had their own cartoon series on ABC-TV–an honor previously bestowed on the Beatles. They departed Motown in 1976 except for Jermaine, who had married Berry’s daughter, their superstardom universally recognized thanks to their astonishing run at Motown. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Written by Bill Dahl[/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.motownmuseum.com/mtmpages/pop/j5pop.html

Last edited:
I went out yesterday to buy the CD and they were all sold out!! I was really happy, but sad at the same time that I don't have a copy yet!! :lol:

A touch of Motown in Obama

BY ROCHELLE RILEY • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • January 22, 2009

Berry Gordy Jr. has dreams for President Barack Obama.
adlabel_horz.gif

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); The legendary musician and producer's great hope is that the president can do for America and its politics what he did for America and its music 50 years ago.

The Motown founder who launched the careers of Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, the Jackson 5 and the Temptations, among others, said his goal in creating the Sound of Young America was to cross racial, geographic and cultural lines, and to link people through song.

"Motown music has always been for everybody," he said in an interview just before Obama was sworn in Tuesday. He sat directly in front of the inaugural dais with his grandchildren, Autumn and Jermaine, Smokey Robinson and friends from Detroit.

Gordy, ever the savant, looked ahead for the president.

"It's like when you look here today," he said. "This is the most wonderful thing in history today. It's about all the people having the hope, all of the people having the love, all of the people enjoying the feeling. And that is what Motown music was all about."

Something for everybody
As Motown celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, Gordy, like others, mentally revisits his work and his legacy.

"I grew up and I had gospel in my soul," he said. "I had the Detroit symphony there, my uncle played classical music. And I loved that. I loved all kinds of music, so Motown music was everything. ... It was music for everybody. It wasn't just for black people. It was black, white, the cops and the robbers.

"It was for the black and the white, and the Jews and the Gentiles and the Hispanics," he said.

The great uniter
If Gordy can find in Motown music a metaphoric parallel for the Obama campaign, then perhaps America can, too.

If there is any music that united America in the past century, it was Motown music, which became a global language. People sing "My Girl" in Amsterdam. Michael Jackson ruled Japan.

And I'd like to meet the baby boomer who doesn't believe Motown music "has a good beat and you can dance to it" as the old "American Bandstand" show described most of Gordy's hits.

Gordy, whether it was his plan or not, helped put Detroit on the map with more than cars. Fifty years after Motown was founded and in the first days since an African American was sworn in as president, the question isn't whether we begin to speak Obama. The question is: Can Obama create a political language all Americans can speak?

Can Obama create an America that is more Motown than Splitsville?
"I coined my company Motown because I wanted it to have the warmth of Detroit," Gordy said, "Because in Detroit, in those days, it was like no one could ever starve. People would always give them food or do something for them."

That sounds like an America of hope, an America where everyone can speak one language, even if in different tones.

Contact ROCHELLE RILEY at rriley99@freepress.com.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090122/COL10/901220412/1007/NEWS/A+touch+of+Motown+in+Obama

Posted: Saturday, 24 January 2009 10:14AM

Think Spring! Tigers Talk Baseball

Detroit (WWJ) -- Thousands of people were ready to think spring and talk baseball at the annual TigerFest at Comerica Park Saturday. The event was a sellout...

TigerFest wraps up a week where Tigers players toured the state and talked baseball with fans while taking in some tourist attractions.

Friday, the caravan stopped at The Henry Ford in Dearborn where players and coaches talked with more than 400 fans. The group also toured the Motown Historical Museum in Detroit.

Many of the 17 Tigers, including Justin Verlander and Curtis Granderson, enjoyed the visit.

"It's amazing," Granderson told WWJ's Beth Fisher. "All of the sounds that we listen to today have some influence from here. And no matter what, everybody in our day and age had a Michael Jackson album and it began with the Jackson 5 here in Motown."

Granderson says people all over the world know Motown songs...

http://www.wwj.com/pages/3717902.php?

Motown at 50: Local musicians share how they were influenced by the Motown

It was 50 years ago this month when a young man named Barry Gordy borrowed $800 from family members to start his own record label in Detroit.
adlabel_horz.gif

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); A record company that would become an industry giant.
A cultural icon.
A way of life.
Motown.

"To me, Motown is the essence of music," said local performer Phil Dunn. "You can't talk about music and not talk about Motown."

...President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle busted a few moves Tuesday night as Stevie Wonder, along with a host of other artists, performed Signed, Sealed, Delivered at the Neighborhood Ball. And let's not forget Ashford & Simpson, the Motown artists who reworked one of their hits songs into Solid (As Barack)...

When most people think of Motown, they think of the legends -- Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight and The Pips, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Jackson 5. But Motown isn't all old school. Its stable of artists today includes Lil Wayne, Ashanti, Akon, Erykah Badu and Be Your Own Pet.

Customers at Dan's Downtown Records are buying up Motown on vinyl every week.

"They are looking for The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, The Jacksons, ... all the biggies," said owner Dan Walter.

Contact feature writer Michelle Kinsey at 213-5822.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20090125/LIFESTYLE/901250320

The Jackson 5. But Motown isn't all old school. Its stable of artists today includes Lil Wayne, Ashanti, Akon, Erykah Badu and Be Your Own Pet.
Lil Wayne too? I didnt know that and I got 2 of his cd's.

*goes to take a look*

Aaaah, Motown. The good ol days. :)

^^ Yeah Wayne's part of the Universal Motown branch so technically you can say he's part of their roster. The Temptations are not in of Motown itself but they're still a member as part of the Universal Motown branch. I'm figuring Lindsay Lohan is a UNIVERSAL Motown artist too.

AKON's at Motown?? - What is Convict Music then?

I want you back: Motown magic celebrates its 50th birthday

By Bruce Ward, Canwest News ServiceJanuary 27, 2009 9:01 AM

...Every Sunday on The Ed Sullivan Show in the 1960s, it seemed there was a new Motown act to marvel over - Little Stevie Wonder playing a harmonica that was half his size; The Supremes, stylized down to the last glass bugle bead on their fab gowns; the Four Tops with the indelible lead vocals of Levi Stubbs; the Temptations, whose harmonies were as sharp as their suits; Marvin Gaye, the coolest singer on the planet; and the Jackson 5, whose debut single "I Want You Back" was the most joyful record ever made by a singer who had yet to reach puberty.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entert...c+celebrates+50th+birthday/1222818/story.html

motown-at-50-main.jpg

Dancing in the Street: Our 25 Favorite Motown Singles

8. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969)

“I Want You Back” was the first big pop hit for the Jackson 5. It hit number one. So did their next three singles, all within the span of less than a year. This song was the start of a rolling, building superstardom, for the group and for Michael Jackson. In this song you can already hear him as a superstar, dynamic, but carrying no sense of all the twists and turns to come in his career and life. It all started here, as they say.

Michael Jackson’s singing on the song is amazing for someone so young, but also for anyone. In the intersection of its youth and strength, his voice embodies the spirit of the song, which is a big, joyous, ecstatic feeling. The song is about regret, in a way, and does have a certain bittersweet quality, but whether from the youth of its characters or the protagonist’s giddy eagerness, it’s an excited determination that carries the day.

Listen to Michael Jackson shouting as the song fades, “I want you back”, as one last exclamation point, embodying the song’s assertiveness. It isn’t just the singing that makes the song. There’s the melodic bassline, the guitar, the piano, the strings, the layered backing vocals, the drums, and the superb melody.

As with the Jackson 5’s next two number-one hits, “ABC” and “The Love You Save”, the song is the genius of the Corporation, the songwriting team of Freddie Perren, Alphonso Mizell, Berry Gordy, and Deke Richards. The four wrote, produced, and arranged the song, which has a remarkable number of moving parts that gel together naturally, beautifully. The opening piano trill, with the band then kicking in at once, offers one of those “hell yes!” moments of positive recognition. You hear it and are immediately swept up. It’s one of Motown’s, and pop music’s, most reliable dance-floor fillers, the proverbial song to make even the dead shake their weary bones.

bullet.gif
Dave Heaton

motown-at-50-singles.jpg

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/69287-dancing-in-the-street-our-25-favorite-motown-singles/

Win! Your chance to feel the Motown magic

Friday, April 10, 2009, 09:20

MOTOWN music fans can enjoy the sights and sounds of the record label which gave birth to the likes of the Temptations, Diana Ross, Edwin Starr, the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight.

Celebrating 50 years since Berry Gordy Jnr created the famous Detroit-based Tamla record label, the Magic Of Motown tribute concert show comes to the Crewe Lyceum next week.

Performing hits of the Temptations, the Four Tops, Edwin Starr, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, the Commodores, Smokey Robinson, the Isley Brothers and many more, it combines dazzling costume changes, superb choreography and a Queen's Award-nominated score.

We've teamed up with the producers to give two lucky readers the chance of winning a pair of tickets to see the show at the Crewe Lyceum on Friday (April 17). To enter please answer this simple question: In which American city was the Motown label based?

Send your answer on a postcard with your name, address and daytime phone number to: GO Motown Competition, The Sentinel, Forge Lane, Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent ST1 5SS, or you can fill in form below. The first two correct entries drawn at noon on Wednesday, April 15, will win a pair of tickets to the show. The editor's decision is final.

For tickets call the box office on 01270 537333.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...town-magic/article-889787-detail/article.html

11:16 | Thursday April 30, 2009
By Nick Johnstone

Universal Music Catalogue has launched a new website and online store to mark the 50th Anniversary of Motown Records.

The Motown50.co.uk site will sell a range of limited edition collectable releases, with the first being a set of five limited edition 7” vinyl singles, featuring 10 classic Motown cuts from the Four Tops and the Supremes among others.

Available from today, the singles come with a Motown Spider/45 single adaptor and a unique download code, giving customers a free digital download of their purchase via www.backtoblackvinyl.com.

Universal Music Catalogue has also reissued ten Motown albums from artists including Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder. The 180 gram re-mastered vinyl records will come with exact replicas of their original artwork and a download voucher as well.

Additional features of Motown50.co.uk include The Motown Project, an interactive collection of editable pages on Motown singles, EPs, albums, artists and events, for fans to adapt using their knowledge of the label.

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1037642&c=1

Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson With The Jackson 5
Michael Jackson With The Jackson 6
Michael Jacksons Solo Career Begins
Jackson 5 Leave Motown
Jacksonmania Begins
Jacksons Headline At The La Forum
Jermaine Jackson
Jermaine Marries Into Motowns Top Family

http://motown50.co.uk/wiki/

Last edited:
Thanks Ms.Mo, I really loved whatever one said about Michael and how much influence he had on each individual that posted a video.

25 years ago today, 1984:

Colored laser beams cut blazing figures across the Pontiac Silverdome ceiling as more that 40,000 screaming people greeted Michael Jackson on his return to Detroit. Jackson and his brothers returned to Detroit Friday, well over a decade after they first emerged from Motown as the Jackson 5.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20090818/NEWS01/908180305

Re: MOTOWN: Michael & The Jackson 5

The big glove-in

Article courtesy of Julien’s Auctions

MOTOWN 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever was a television special taped before a live studio audience at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in California on March 25, 1983, and broadcast on NBC on May 16, 1983.

The retrospective performance show featured the Commodores, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Four Tops, a reunion of Diana Ross and The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, and many other performers.

f_pg05chaplin.jpg

Original art: Painting (76cm x 38cm) of Charlie Chaplin created by Michael Jackson when he was nine. Jackson called Chaplin his ‘inspiration’ and recorded a version of Chaplin’s signature song Smile in 1997. Estimate: US$2,000 to $3,000.

In addition to all of the top names from Motown past and present, the show featured a reunion of the original five Jackson brothers who performed under the name the Jackson 5 while recording for Motown.
Michael recalled how this reunion came to be, in his 1988 autobiography Moonwalk:

“I’m forced to admit I had to be talked into doing it. I’m glad I did because the show eventually produced some of the happiest and proudest moments of my life. ... I had been asked to appear as a member of the Jacksons and then to do a dance number on my own. But none of us were Motown artistes any longer.

“I thought about how much Berry Gordy had done for me and the group, but I told my managers and Motown that I didn’t want to go on TV. My whole attitude toward TV is fairly negative. Eventually Berry came to me to discuss it at length. I said, ‘Okay, but if I do it, I want to do Billie Jean.’ It would have been the only non-Motown song in the whole show. He told me that’s what he wanted me to do anyway. So we agreed to do a Jacksons medley. We were all thrilled.”

Michael went on to describe how he gathered his brothers and began rehearsing the medley they woud perform on the show.

“I really worked them, and it felt nice, a bit like the old days of the Jackson 5. I choreographed them and rehearsed them for days at our house in Encino.”

Michael’s attention was focused on the Jackson’s group performance, and he admitted that during the dress rehearsals at the Pasadena auditorium when it came time to rehearse to his performance of Billie Jean, “I just walked through it because as yet I had nothing planned. I hadn’t had time because I was so busy rehearsing the group.”

f_pg05zombie2.jpg

Zombie attire: Suit and shirts ripped, stained, airbrushed and adorned with material to create a zombie look. Estimate: US$400 to US$1,200.

Because he didn’t know exactly what he was planning to do with the performance, he details how his wardrobe for the evening came together in the last moments leading up to the show.

He called his management office after the dress performance and said: “Please order me a spy’s hat, like a cool fedora, something a secret agent would wear.”

He goes on to explain that he had found the black jacket during the Thriller sessions and said: “You know, someday I’m going to wear this to perform. It was so perfect and so show business that I wore it on Motown 25.”

The last element of “the look” he created was “the glove”. He commented in his autobiography: “I had been wearing a single glove for years before Thriller.I was wearing it on some of the old tours back in the 1970s, and I wore one glove during the Off the Wall tour and on the cover of the live album that came out afterward. I actually had been wearing the glove for a long time, but it hadn’t gotten a lot of attention until all of a sudden it hit with Thriller in 1983.”

Jackson had been wearing a crystal-studded glove for almost a decade by this point. The gloves from this era were made by costumer Bill Whitten (who also did the Commodores’ costumes through the height of their career) and were covered with individually hand-sewn Swarovski crystals, a meticulous and time-consuming process.

It is likely that because his dance routine did not come together until the very last second, Jackson had only decided to wear the glove on his left hand at the last minute.

f_pg05zombie3.jpg

Zombie attire

“The night before taping, I still had no idea what I was going to do with my solo number. So I went down to the kitchen of our house and played Billie Jean. I pretty much stood there and let the song tell me what to do. I kind of let the dance create itself.”

The result of this late night burst of inspiration featured a number of moves to be performed with Jackson’s right hand, including removing then tossing his fedora, removing a comb from his back pocket and combing his hair.
Perhaps these moves performed with his right hand were the reason he decided to un-characteristically wear the glove on his left hand for the performance.

This glove was clearly made in a hurried fashion, unlike the other meticulously made gloves from that period and it stands to reason that this was due to the last minute creation of the performance itself. It is now estimated to go for US$40,000 to US$60,000 at the auction.

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2009/8/25/lifeliving/4553903&sec=lifeliving

The Jackson 5: All Time Favorite Motown Artists

00637075-6a13-4964-a8a1-f0f69b772c26.jpg

The Jackson 5 is The People's Choice Winner for All Time Favorite Motown Artists.

They will be acknowledged at the People's Choice Awards 2010. :clapping:

motownfanthologycoversite.jpg

The Motown 50 Fanthology album: 4 Michael Jackson tracks (3 with J5) won the fan votes and will be included on the album.

trans.gif

The fans have spoken--and “My Girl” by The Temptations is their all-time favorite Motown recording. The results of the online voting held in June and July can be heard on the two-CD set Motown 50 Fanthology (Motown/UMe), to be released September 1, 2009, which continues the celebration of Motown’s 50th anniversary.

An album by the fans and for the fans, the package’s recordings are arranged in order of most votes received.

The Top 10 are:
1. “My Girl” – The Temptations
2. “What’s Going On” – Marvin Gaye
3. “Let’s Get It On” – Marvin Gaye
4. “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)” – The Temptations
5. “The Tracks Of My Tears” – Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
6. “Superstition” – Stevie Wonder
7. “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” – Marvin Gaye
8. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
9. “ABC” – Jackson 5
10. “Papa Was A Rolling Stone” – The Temptations

Marvin Gaye holds seven of the 46 spots, while The Temptations are next with five. With four positions each are Michael Jackson (three with The Jackson 5), Diana Ross (solo, with The Supremes and with Lionel Richie) and Lionel Richie (solo, with Diana and with the Commodores). Next with three are the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson, and Tammi Terrell (all with Gaye). Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Martha & The Vandellas, Rick James, Boyz II Men, and Jr. Walker & The All Stars scored two fan favorites each. Also heard are Jimmy Ruffin, Teena Marie and the Isley Brothers.

Via special Website, U.S. fans chose their five most beloved songs from a list of more than 100 of Motown’s greatest recordings, with more than 40 artists represented. The first 500 voters received an “I Voted! Motown 50” collector’s edition bumper sticker. All voters were entered in a random drawing for a grand prize--a trip for two to Hitsville, U.S.A., the Detroit home of Motown, including airfare, hotel accommodations, admission to the Motown Museum, and tickets to a forthcoming Motown gala event. The winner will be announced August 17.

In addition, UMe/Motown partnered with the People’s Choice Awards to offer fans the opportunity to vote for their favorite Motown artist of all time on the People’s Choice website. Out of 10 choices, fans selected the Jackson 5 as their favorite. The winner will now be recognized during the 36th Annual People’s Choice Awards in 2010.

An irresistible force of social and cultural change, Berry Gordy’s legendary Motown Records made its mark not just on the music industry but society at large, with a sound that has become one of the most significant musical accomplishments and stunning success stories of the 20th century. No other record company in history has exerted such an enormous influence on both the style and substance of popular music and culture. That influence is still being felt today, from pop to hip-hop, as Motown celebrates the 50th anniversary of the company’s founding.

Today, Motown is part of the Universal Music Group, with its classic recorded music catalog managed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

Complete Track listing: http://classic.motown.com/news.aspx?bid=90

Press Release

Motown 50 News

Last edited:
Back