MTV Networks Acquires Exclusive Television Rights to This is it [Merged]

Memefan

Proud Member
MTV Networks Acquires Exclusive Television Rights to Critically Acclaimed Concert Film Michael Jackson's This Is It

NEW YORK, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- MTV Networks (a division of Viacom ( VIA, VIA.B), has acquired the exclusive United States television rights to air one of the most anticipated films of the year -- Michael Jackson's This Is It.
The critically acclaimed and commercially successful film becomes available to MTV Networks in 2011, and continuing through the entire six-year network window. The deal includes all domestic channels under the MTV Networks umbrella, including MTV, VH1, VH1 Classic and Palladia and rounds out the music networks' commitment to celebrating the life and legacy of Michael Jackson. The arrangement also extends to Viacom's BET Networks, including its newest channel, Centric. Channels and premiere dates will be announced at a later time.
"The film is a true testament to Michael's musical genius, passion and commitment to his craft," said Van Toffler, President of the MTV Networks Music Group. "Michael Jackson has always been inextricably tied to our viewers as they witnessed his evolution from a talented performer to a global icon who redefined music. Now, with this film, we can help give his fans a chance to see his final performance."
THIS IS IT, premiered nationwide on October 28, earning the #1 box office spot for the weekend and offering Jackson fans and music lovers everywhere a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out, historic comeback concerts that would have kicked off this past summer at London's O2 Arena. Chronicling from March through June, 2009, the film is produced with the full support of the Estate of Michael Jackson and drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind the scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing numerous songs for the show. Audiences are given a privileged and private look at Jackson as he was never before seen. In raw and candid detail, Michael Jackson's This Is It is the last documentation of Michael Jackson at work, capturing the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, creative genius and great artist at work.
Kenny Ortega, who was both Michael Jackson's creative partner for the concert tour and the director of the stage show serves as the film's director, and Randy Phillips, Kenny Ortega and Paul Gongaware are producers. Executive producers are John Branca and John McClain. The film is being distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures Releasing. One of the best reviewed film of the year, Michael Jackson's This Is It has already reached $222.6 million in box office receipts worldwide.
The deal was brokered by Sony Pictures Television and Ben Zurier, Executive Vice President, Program Strategy, VH1, VH1 Classic & Palladia for MTV Networks. MTV Networks will also collaborate with Sony Pictures Entertainment in marketing the DVD release of the film in early 2010.
About MTV Networks
MTV Networks, a division of Viacom ( VIA, VIA.B), is one of the world's leading creators of entertainment content, with brands that engage and connect diverse audiences across television, online, mobile, games, virtual worlds and consumer products. The company's portfolio spans more than 150 television channels and 400 digital media properties worldwide, and includes MTV, VH1, CMT, Logo, Harmonix, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, Nick Jr., TeenNick, AddictingGames, Neopets, COMEDY CENTRAL, SPIKE, TV Land, Atom, GameTrailers and Xfire.
ABOUT SONY PICTURES TELEVISION
Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry's leading content providers. It produces and distributes programming in every genre, including series, telefilms, theatrical releases and family entertainment around the world and for every platform: broadcast and cable television, first-run and off-network syndication and digital distribution. In addition to one of the industry's largest libraries of feature films and television shows, SPT boasts a current program slate that includes the top-rated daytime dramas and game shows, landmark off-network series, original animated series and critically acclaimed primetime dramas, comedies and telefilms. Internationally, SPT is a leading producer of local language scripted and non-scripted programming. SPT also sells SPE-owned formats in approximately 70 countries. To better serve its clients and partners worldwide, SPT maintains offices throughout the world, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the People's Republic of China, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Venezuela and the United Kingdom. SPT's worldwide television networks portfolio, which includes branded networks AXN, Sony Entertainment Television, and Animax, is a key strategy in SPE's long-range commitment to the global marketplace, with 119 channel feeds available in more than 130 countries, reaching almost 400 million households worldwide. SPT also creates original content for and manages SPE's premium video website, Crackle. Additionally, SPT is a part owner of cable channel GSN, FEARnet, the premier horror/thriller website and VOD service, and national media sales company ITN Networks, Inc. SPT advertiser sales is one of the premiere national advertising sales companies, handling the commercial inventory in SPT's syndicated series as well as in all of SPE's digital businesses in the United States, and for Sony Music Entertainment. SPT (www.sonypicturestelevision.com) is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.
SOURCE MTV Networks

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ilm-michael-jacksons-this-is-it-70265952.html

I would have preferred HBO, but, I guess any network will do. more people will be able to witness the Magic.

Last edited:
Re: MTV Networks Acquires Exclusive Television Rights to This is it

That's a shame. I was hoping a major network would be able to show it, rather than it being relegated to a relatively minor channel where it can be ignored by the masses.

Hopefully another channel will be able to buy the UK broadcast rights!

You have to PAY for the HBO channels seperate from regular or basic cable so not everybody has it. EVERYBODY gets MTV, and if they promote the first showing of TII on the channel well, many, many people will see it.

Is this good news or bad news?
I'll never forget how MTV humiliated MJ and made him look like an idiot.

2011!! By that time, I'll have gone through a dozen TII DVD's.

wonder what they paid for it. wouldnt a major like ABC want to buy and air it or arent they intrested cause of the type of film it is. i hope its shown on mainstream tv over here and not restricted to the likes of sky

MTV is a good network. This is a concert movie so it fits in well to their theme. I'm glad it will also apply to BET and VH1 as well. I wonder if this includes Canada's MUCH music, MUCH more music, etc.

Remember, while some may say it's better for a big network like Fox, CBS, ABC, etc to have bought the rights, it would not have been as lucrative since those big networks would play it once as a big spectacular then that would be it. MTV (since it's a music channel) can play it many times over, and as a result signed the deal for 6 years. I imagine something like this would have brought in huge money to the estate. I know no numbers were released by I can imagine figures in the range of $20-30 million US for the rights. It might have even been higher depending on the terms of the deal.

This is good news though, 2010 is obviously dedicated to the DVD release then once that settles down, 2011 will be dedicated to the TV launch. Already, an estimated 4 million Americans have went to the theater to see this movie (the extra accounting for repeat business), and another 1-2 million will pay for the DVD. That will mean about 6 million Americans will have seen This Is It before the TV specials. Once that occurs, tens of millions of other Americans will have the opportunity to see it. (People who do not love MJ enough to financially purchase something but would still be interested to see it free on their tv).

Me neither, doesn't sit well with me. I was hoping for a major channel as well, guess it won't matter though being as the DVD will be out long before that anyway.

That's a shame. I was hoping a major network would be able to show it, rather than it being relegated to a relatively minor channel where it can be ignored by the masses.

Hopefully another channel will be able to buy the UK broadcast rights!

i think it won't matter. people want to pirate this movie. i'm sure they'll find it on whatever channel it premiers.

Well, we still watched the VMAs together on here.
but i really can't remember tuning into their channel with the non/ music related shows, anyway. so mtv has many problems!
the only thing im thinking of is the many, many, many commercials they spew at us watching any music channel. even the new Centric channel has too many, if im watching a movie i forget what im watching! so for that reason alone i rather it be on NBC or something too. !!! so i'll stick to dvd.

MTV is a good network. This is a concert movie so it fits in well to their theme. I'm glad it will also apply to BET and VH1 as well. I wonder if this includes Canada's MUCH music, MUCH more music, etc.

Remember, while some may say it's better for a big network like Fox, CBS, ABC, etc to have bought the rights, it would not have been as lucrative since those big networks would play it once as a big spectacular then that would be it. MTV (since it's a music channel) can play it many times over, and as a result signed the deal for 6 years.

Exactly. Generally networks do not air concerts/ concert videos or even if they do it is very limited. So even if they bought it they would be showing the movie once a while.

I believe when MTV starts to air it they would most probably put it into heavy rotation - for example they could play it everyday at different hours for 1-2 weeks or make it a regular program (such as once a month for 6 years) type of thing.

I agree. MTV seems to be doing all it can to make things right NOW, after they already humiliated him, MTV had their hand in trying to tarnish Michaels legacy. Now they seem to care, and want to praise him after he's gone? Poppycosh!

And I'll already have the DVD by then, so when it eventually does air, I won't contribute to their ratings, I'll just watch the DVD with all the extras. :)

2011 that's a whole year to save up for a DVD!

DVD / BLU-RAY = No adverts + best possible quality

I'm not bothered about TV rights!

Get the rights to air some of his concerts,now that would be great

This is a grat new!! I love watching concerts on tv...But 2011 is soooo far =/

Jackson's THIS IS IT Is Headed to Small Screen

JACKSON'S THIS IS IT HEADED TO SMALL SCREEN

MICHAEL JACKSON's concert movie THIS IS IT is heading for the small screen - network bosses at MTV have secured rights to air the documentary in 2011.
The movie is a collection of rehearsal footage from the 50 London shows Jackson was scheduled to perform from July (09).
This Is It premiered worldwide last month (28Oct09) and has already taken nearly $223 million (GBP139 million) at the worldwide box office.
And now Jackson is set to moonwalk into U.S. TV viewers' homes after the cable network secured exclusive rights in the U.S.
MTV has six-year window to air the movie beginning in 2011.
Network president Van Toffler says, "Michael Jackson has always been inextricably tied to our viewers as they witnessed his evolution from a talented performer to a global icon who redefined music. Now, with this film, we can help give his fans a chance to see his final performance."

Source: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/jacksons-this-is-it-headed-to-small-screen_1122866

Re: Jackson's THIS IS IT Is Headed to Small Screen

I was just about to open a thread about this: Italian TV channel ITALIA 1 will broadcast TII on January 10th 2010.

Thisisit.jpg

http://www.tvblog.it/post/16768/med...re-al-venerdi-e-this-is-it-di-michael-jackson

wow sooo soon! Jan 10 2010! what about dvd release?!
Honestly I don't know :scratch: As much as I want to watch the movie again, I hope they wait 'till the DVD is released to broadcast the movie on TV.
I'm as surprised as you are....

yeah thats abit strange wonder when other announcements will be made by euro stations if its already been brought up in italy

Back