Murray hires a new lawyer / Geragos raises conflict of interest issue

To summarize it all

Mark Geragos raised a conflict of interest issue as Gourjian previously worked at his team as MJ's attorney and was privy to private information. Gourjian denies it saying he was a junior associate that had minimal information. Judge is now seeking a "a fact specific determination" - meaning that he wants to know what Gourjian did for MJ and what he knows. He also calls the estate (Howard Weitzman) to give their opinion about the subject - as you know MJ Estate now represent Michael therefore they can raise concerns or give permission.

Out of all the lawyers in all the law firms in all the state of California, how odd they just happened to pick this one lawyer who had a previous connection with Michael Jackson. Coincidence? Nah.

Could this be a ploy by the defense to cause a delay as the situation is sorted out?

I would so love to know what T-Mez would have to say about this!

sounds like a conflict of interest to me.. let's see how this judge rules

Out of all the lawyers in all the law firms in all the state of California, how odd they just happened to pick this one lawyer who had a previous connection with Michael Jackson. Coincidence? Nah.

Could this be a ploy by the defense to cause a delay as the situation is sorted out?

I would so love to know what T-Mez would have to say about this!

my thoughts exactly !!!:doh:

EXCLUSIVE: Judge Considering Conflict Of Interest Objection To Dr Conrad Murray's New Attorney

Judge Michael Pastor has yet to approve Dr. Conrad Murray's new attorney, Nareg Gourjian to officially join the doctor's defense team as he gears up to fight manslaughter charges stemming from the 2009 death of his former patient, Michael Jackson.

As RadarOnline.com first reported, Jackson's former defense attorney, Mark Geragos has voiced concerns about Gourjian's appointment to Murray's defense team, citing a possible conflict of interest as Gourjian previously worked with Geragos, defending Michael Jackson against molestation charges.

In court Tuesday, Judge Michael E Pastor requested that Geragos attend the next pre-trial hearing on February 24 for "a fact specific determination" to ascertain if there is a conflict of interest with Gourjian repping Murray.

Judge Pastor also invited Michael Jackson Estate powerhouse lawyer, Howard Weitzman to give the estate a chance to respond also.

Gourijian was an associate of Geragos' law firm and worked on Jackson's successful defense during the late singer's infamous 2005 trial, where he stood accused of seven counts of child molestation and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent to a 13-year-old male.

As RadarOnline.com previously reported, Gregaros is concerned that a former member of his team, who was privy to the King of Pop's personal information, is now working to defend the man accused of killing him.

"Mark is concerned about the conflict of interest because Nareg worked on Michael's molestation defense," a source told RadarOnline.com.

"Nareg was privy to details about Michael Jackson's life that were never made public.

"This is very, very bothersome to Geragos."

In the brief pre-trial hearing, it was also revealed that there are 91 defense witnesses, and 107 witnesses for the prosecution.

Dr Murray is accused of causing the pop icon's death on June 25, 2009 by administering an overdose of the powerful sedative Propofol, with which Jackson was being treated to help him sleep.

The trial is set to start March 24.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...lict-interest-objection-dr-conrad-murrays-new

This laywer knows to much about Michael's personal business to be able to turn around and defend Murray. Thats just wrong...and I hope that the estate sees that. I think we should pay very close attention to this decision...I think the out come of it will tell us the direction that this trial will go.

This laywer knows to much about Michael's personal business to be able to turn around and defend Murray. Thats just wrong...and I hope that the estate sees that. I think we should pay very close attention to this decision...I think the out come of it will tell us the direction that this trial will go.

Exactly

I think you are sooo right. Even if he doesn't know all that much, just the impression it gives is wrong. (I know there is a stronger word I want to use, but it's late and my brain is fogged!)

True. Also, what if the judge determines that IT IS in fact a conflict of interest for this guy to join the team....this guy could still spill the beans to Murray's defense team about what he knows about Michael couldn't he? Obviously he is not an MJ fan, otherwise why would he want to do this?

whatever the lawyer knows it has nothing to do with Murray killing MJ with propofol. This is all a smokescreen.

So its the judge's decision if this lawer is allowed to be on murrays team...i dont get it..

True. Also, what if the judge determines that IT IS in fact a conflict of interest for this guy to join the team....this guy could still spill the beans to Murray's defense team about what he knows about Michael couldn't he? Obviously he is not an MJ fan, otherwise why would he want to do this?

That's what I want to know. This new lawyer has another week before he could possibly get told to walk away from this case. What's to stop him from saying things to the defense to help them dirty Michael up more? If the judge gave them an order to stay away from the new lawyer until the decision has made whether or not to let him in, then I could see things being fair. But so far the only decent thing I've seen was that Murray has been ordered to stand trial. So why is all this other crap happening and nobody but MJ fans seems to care?

Last edited:
Where is Michael's family? like you said we the fans are the only ones that seem to care.. MJ's family is nowhere to be found.. They should be on tv, at the courthouse putting that murderer through the ringer. They are not fighting for MJ at all and it's so so sad!

Lord I wish MJ had had a wife or at least a good supportive friend who could help him. None of those folks surrounding him gave a damn about MJ

Lord I wish MJ had had a wife or at least a good supportive friend who could help him. None of those folks surrounding him gave a damn about MJ

i wish he had a love in his life too.

This does not look like a coincidence to me, and I am hoping the judge makes the right decision. In relation to Michael, nothing goes smoothly, even after his death. The defense is trying to pull a fast one.

I am glad that Mark Geragos said something. It doesn't matter if he knows a little bit the fact he was working for Geragos when he was representing Michael is enough. None of the lawyers on both sides should have any connection to Michael.

First of all generally speaking it doesn't mean that a lawyer in a firm will know everything about every case. Because generally lawyers will be divided among the cases. and junior associates could have limited tasks they perform with no access to actual information.

That being said as Mark Geragos raised concerns , I'll assume that in this case he had some access to some information.

Now the judge will look into what he knew and whether it affect this case.

One alternative to conflict of interest is if both parties give informed written consent - meaning that they are aware of the conflict of interest and regardless okay with it. When we say "both parties" it makes one party Michael Jackson and since Michael's death "Michael Jackson Estate = Michael Jackson". That's why the judge called the estate lawyer to get their opinion.

So its the judge's decision if this lawer is allowed to be on murrays team...i dont get it..

yes. murray wants him on his team. geragos is fulfilling his ethics duty and notifying the judge of a possible conflict of interest. Judge asks for a factual information/investigation and will listen to representatives of Michael and then make a decision if there's actually a conflict of interest present or not.

Re: Murray hires a new lawyer

These kind of lawyers don't work for nothing.
I wonder where Murray is getting the big money to pay them,
and, yes, Murray is a professional murderer.

100% agree with your post, where Murray is getting money (allegedly broke !?!) to pay high-profile lawyers...

Re: Murray hires a new lawyer / Is there conflict of interest?

I find this latest development very disturbing and i would not be surprised if it was deliberately engineered to have an excuse to bring up the accusations and to make insinuations like in the article above. This lawyer they say was privy to things about michael not previously made public. Of course there is a conflict of interest and they bloody well knew it too. I get a really bad feeling when i read shit like this.

Totally agree. Every news source is bringing up that same ole shit again. Like Murray's team knew it would happen.:doh:

Hope they all burn in hell.:evil:

They just try to influence a coming jury... like all the hoodaawoodaaa lately.
A former defense lawyer of Michael Jackson (indicating who's knowing Michael better than most ppl in the court will isn't that almost like he was Michaels friend???!!!) WANTS to defend Murray.

That must mean Murray is innocent and all was only an accident uh?!

It's just morally played by the same who once sent Murray to Forrest lawn for that the media could catch him with cow eyes in front of the resting place of HIS friend!

And even if a judge or whoever will now not allow this guy to accept it, it doesn't matter cuz it's out there.

Just so obvious that even a moron should be able to look through it, if you ask me!

This is as low as it can get for a judicial system... it's not about what's proven to have happened or not... it's just about influencing a coming jury. Pretty fu**** up! jmho

Last edited:
Am I alone in thinking that this case is going to take a different direction if the new lawyer is able to be on the defense team? Why would he want to be there considering that he worked with Michael? Something isn't right about this IMO.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Gourjian wants to work for Murray. Is it just because it's a high-profile case?

It seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me, Gourjian is saying that he didn't really work on Michael's case, but did he have access to any information from that case? Are physical and electronic files locked, so that only lawyers working on the specific case can access them?

I don't understand why Gourjian wants to work for Murray. Is it just because it's a high-profile case?

It seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me, Gourjian is saying that he didn't really work on Michael's case, but did he have access to any information from that case? Are physical and electronic files locked, so that only lawyers working on the specific case can access them?

Exactly. And how is the judge going to find out if he's being honest if he says he doesn't know anything from Michael's trial? Will he have to be questioned under oath at a special hearing?

KANGAROO COURT
  • 1: a mock court in which the principles of law and justice are disregarded or perverted
    2: a court characterized by irresponsible, unauthorized, or irregular status or procedures
    3: judgment or punishment given outside of legal procedure

jeez theres always something. if mark thinks its an important enough issue to raise and hes not just looking for publicity then i presume this lawyer must know something. the question is how major these things are. glad theres a hearing. the judge seems to be spot on with things

and when will we get the defence/pros witness list. although if i remember right from 03/05. just cause theres all those names are listed doesnt mean they will testfiy. each side has to put down anyone and everyone that might be called. even if in reality they wont

I doubt if the defense has 90 folks to call as witnesses unless they are going to get some of Murray's elderly patients on the stand. It will be totally irrelevant unless they were given propofol as a sleep aid

Last edited:
gourjian law group was established in 2005, they seem to have an annual revenue of 500,000 to 1 million dollars, a staff of 1-4. gourjianlaw.com/index.html

Maybe they are looking for publicity and increased income. This certainly will give their firm plenty of free advertising.

Back