Need help concerning my job....

L.T.D

Proud Member
Basically I got my first job back in November, I work in Sainsburys part time over night. At the time, it was just a job and I needed the money and was getting kind of sick of being jobless.

It started of roughly as you can imagine but then things got better, but lately I have found myself absolutely hating it in there.

I got in there at midnight and am stuck there until 8am, they play music over the tannoy but it is still extremely depressing....if it was maybe 5 hours it wouldn't be so bad but I am literally stuck there for 8 hours two nights in a row.

Last night I went in and found myself really stressing out....like I was breathing heavily and just couldn't stand to be there...I needed to get out so I told my boss I was ill so I could go home....I just had to get out of there.

A few things are keeping me there, the first is that I wouldn't get another job for a long time afterwards....I wouldn't get as much money for that ammount of hours anywhere else, and I would dissapoint everyone in my family if I just quit..especially my mum. But it is miserable in there.

The fact that it is miserable a long with the fact that they keep messing up my holidays and stuff has just driven me to want to quit. This month is the first time I have been properly paid since January. There have been months where I have been underpaid due to comnplications with my holidays, a long with times when I have been overpaid one month and then they have had to take it back off me the next.

I could stick it out and work there till I find another job, but I literally cannot stand going in there anymore :\ I also don't like the fact that I work nights and the two nights I work are Friday and Saturday night, I feel isolated from the rest of the world.

I felt the same way about my last job, which was working in a Bakery. Similar feelings except I started early in the morning with the bakers, who wouldn't even talk to the sales staff anyway.

It just depends how strong you think you are or how much longer you can last, but I would suggest applying for other jobs as soon as you can, and maybe in the meantime asking for less shifts so you don't feel like you're there all the time.

Right, firstly don't beat yourself up about not enjoying your work. I felt like that in my last job - I was a call centre agent, and the work was so samey and poorly paid that I would rattle off my spiel with a magazine in one hand and the phone in the other. One needs to feel motivated at work or they won't give 100%, whatever the job may be.

If I were you I'd start looking into either college courses and other part-time work or spend at least a few hours a day looking for something that's fairly local and means that you're interacting with people more - have you looked into places like bakeries/'subway'/cafes/restaurants, or even maybe apply for Sainsbury's Local or Tesco Express? There are quite a few places recruiting right now, with summer on its way. Don't give up on your existing job though; I know it's tedious, but should you need a reference from them it's best to stick with it until someone else offers you employment.

Good luck! xx

I don't think I can even stand to go in there again, I might be coming across as a bit of a drama queen here. But last night I was like really stressing out being in there, it was so strange.

Have you thought about why you were stressing out? Was it purely feeling trapped? Or was it an anxiety attack, where you can't imagine yourself in any job other than this one that you detest? If it's the latter, then definitely get your CV out and start looking for work elsewhere.

When I was in there last night, I can't explain why I was so stressed out. I was just breathing really heavily and felt like I needed to get out of there. It's just so quiet.....everyone sort of keeps to themselves...it's a miserable atmosphere. I just felt like I needed to escape which I did. I actually went and spoke to my manager and told him how I was feeling and he was ok about it, he even let me go home sick because of it...to sort my head out.

Worst thing about that is, I have just come back from being on holiday for two weeks and then I act like this.....he's basically given me two nights off sick. I could go in tonight even though he has said I could stay off ill, but I just can't.

I'm thinking about staying off again and then having more time to think about it, then going in next week. There's just so much going on....

To me it sounds like the best thing to do is to quit.That's no way to get motivated again.Quit now before you end up depressed.

I've been through this last fall and I quitted my job (I was a manager in a multinational company), I stayed home for a month and then I got myself a new job, less payed but I love it , I got rid of the stress and now I have free time for myself and my family.

Now, instead of board meetings I get board messages :lol:

If it really is that bad, and it's inexplicable, maybe you should quit or see whether you can apply for a different role within the company (not sure whether it's a likely option, but you could always try) x

I don't have to be in again till next Friday, so I will do some serious thinking before then.

Tonight I somehow need to pretend to my mum that i'm going, my boss has said I can stay off ill but my mum doesn't know that.

The job situation in the UK really does suck!!!!

The hardworkers are either unemployed or are on low wages!!!!

The incompetant ones, who use sweet talk and flattery (lying), always end up with the well paid jobs.............
..............and they throw us in a recession where everybody loses their job.............
..............while they keep theirs!!!!!

If your job is affecting your health it's time to quit that job. Try and find something else that is at least a bit better. Even though it might pay a bit less.

If your job is affecting your health it's time to quit that job. Try and find something else that is at least a bit better. Even though it might pay a bit less.

I don't know if its affecting my health, I just felt very stressed out being there on Friday. Maybe i'll feel better there now that I have had time and space to think about it.

At the moment I think i'm going to stay, I like having money to buy whatever I want most of the time.

I'm obsessed with buying clothes, and I have quite expensive taste so for that reason I will keep it for now. Although I may enquire about moving to earlier days in the week, as working on weekends does not help in me liking my job...

I'm not a doctor and I'm not trained to diagnose anything, but I am training to work with people with anxiety and from what you described (especially the breathing) it sounds very similar to an anxiety attack. Have you looked into this at all? Sometimes breathing exercises can help bring down anxiety but it sounds like it is the actual situation that is causing it. I would definitely recommend looking into changing jobs or shifts if it is making you feel this way - but be honest with your boss or another senior (hopefully sympathetic) member of staff, as chances are unless they know how it is affecting you, they won't take any action in changing your shifts etc.

I hope you'll feel better about all this soon.

I'm not a doctor and I'm not trained to diagnose anything, but I am training to work with people with anxiety and from what you described (especially the breathing) it sounds very similar to an anxiety attack. Have you looked into this at all? Sometimes breathing exercises can help bring down anxiety but it sounds like it is the actual situation that is causing it. I would definitely recommend looking into changing jobs or shifts if it is making you feel this way - but be honest with your boss or another senior (hopefully sympathetic) member of staff, as chances are unless they know how it is affecting you, they won't take any action in changing your shifts etc.

I hope you'll feel better about all this soon.

I don't know what to do, i'm supposed to go back in tomorrow and it's making me feel anxious already.....just thinking about going in and being there all night.

I hate the idea of carrying on working there but I also love the money I get and being able to buy all the things I like, and if I quit now my mum will be dissapointed in me and i'll have no money for all these things I like. I could allways sponge of my mum and dad for a while but they don't understand, they don't think about how much it affects me.....they are just in the frame of mind of me needing a job.

If I explain how it makes me feel, they just come back with 'You won't get another job atm....you need to stay there until you can find another job........' That kind of thing.

I am so stuck, I don't know what to do :( You know, I thought i'd kind of put things into perspective earlier on in the week.....I was just going to carry on there, but now that its the night before I have to go in it's really setting in again. I want to ask to move to nights earlier in the week but while that would make it a bit better.......I still wouldn't like it at all.

The easy thing to do would be to quit my job and then i'd be happy, though dissapointed then i'd let people down and then wouldn't have money for all the things I like.

Do I do what makes me happy despite dissapointing my family, or do I stay and make myself unhappy working there.....even though the fact I wouldn't have money anymore would still leave me slightly unhappy..but not as unhappy as carrying on working there would.

I kind of told him I still want to quit. But I have heard that you can't claim benefits if you voluntarily quit your job, so i'm going to be kind of lost.

There are pros and cons on both sides, I have never been so conflicted over anything in my life....

When I am there I am so unhappy, it is really depressing being there for 8 hours straight in the middle of the night doing the same thing. Yet I do sort of enjoy the money, but then I kind of think that what the job involves is not worth the money I make....and it might be too late to re-consider now anyway.

If you think you might be depressed go to the doctor and get laid off and then you will get sick pay. Do it quick before the new benefit laws change though. It is not necessarily the best answer/solution but it might give you a temporary relief at least

Back