New Duet? MJ + Bruno Mars

its a stream/digital world now, no one is buying physical discs, even video games can be Downloaded without the disc... Duran is right, we cant measure success the same way at all! There is a reason Michael himself wanted to leave the game of chasing album sales..

These debates between DVD, BluRay etc. is dated.. just go into any store that sold movies and CDs, some stopped selling them completely. Those who still have, shrunk those sections big time.. Record stores are pretty much a thing of the past.. Blockbuster stores are gone for a reason..

Yes and no. Physical retail is losing the battle against online shopping, across the board - you can't blame it solely on people changing to digital streaming (though obviously it's part of it in the case of record stores).

I mean Toys R' Us just collapsed in North America, and then a few months later the same happened in the UK. This doesn't mean kids aren't playing with toys anymore.

^ I get that point but comparing toys (a physical product) to music or video (which can come in any form) doesn't really grasp the picture.. kids can't physically play with a non physical product lol! that's called "imagination" and it's free.. We can watch and listen to music without having a physical disc.

I know digital isn't the only factor but it is a big one, and it's only getting bigger. Many people think im super old school for buying CD's or physical movies still, I tell them I like the smell of the booklet lol. But I am def a minority with that.

Plus in several cases (outside of free streaming) it's often cheaper to buy digital - without the cost broken into shipping products to the store, the packaging, disc cost, storage facility costs etc... Plus digital doesn't scratch!

we all know how many times we've re bought MJ albums because it starts skipping. those days are pretty much dead.. aside for us big fans that want to touch and feel an MJ product.

If this MJ and Bruno Mars duet is legit - I am amazed they managed to keep it secret so long - I have not seen this mentioned in any newspaper or anything, only in the darkest corners of the MJ fans universe.

Hope it's true though.

I wonder if the song is all new or a song we already know and Bruno Mars is just put in to make a duet.

I guess it will be an all new song. - Maybe even a song we have never heard of. Would be nice if it was a title we have never heard before.

^ I get that point but comparing toys (a physical product) to music or video (which can come in any form) doesn't really grasp the picture.. kids can't physically play with a non physical product lol! that's called "imagination" and it's free.. We can watch and listen to music without having a physical disc.

No I'm not comparing them. I'm saying you can't just say because a store shuts down that people have stopped buying the product the shop sells.

I wonder if the song is all new or a song we already know and Bruno Mars is just put in to make a duet.

I guess it will be an all new song. - Maybe even a song we have never heard of. Would be nice if it was a title we have never heard before.

Imagine how awesome that would be. Especially if they released MJ's solo demo as well
I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up

Imagine how awesome that would be. Especially if they released MJ's solo demo as well
I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up

I would hope very much that they will release MJ's solo version. - after the Michael failure I think they will always release MJ's solo demo in the future. So I hope so.
ALSO - if MJ only recorded half the lyrics and the song is good - it would justify why the estate made a duet. - Some fans would propably not accept it anyway, but then again you can't please everybody - not even MJ could do that.

No I'm not comparing them. I'm saying you can't just say because a store shuts down that people have stopped buying the product the shop sells.

lol but ChrisC, you can say stores are getting rid of product because they are not selling.. and when stores shut down, generally it's clear why.. In Toys R Us's case - it's the means of which people are getting products.. Record stores on the other hand have closed down because record sales plummeted.

It's on the bankruptcy reports and everything.

ok but whatever, I think we both know what each other is saying and are not fully on different pages. Just making two separate points that overlap a bit.

We don't get much anymore to look forward to so it's hard to not get excited when something like this is rumoured.

Blaming the internet for toys r us closing is just lazy. It shut down because the management didn't adapt well enough. Overheads were too high. Online offering was not compelling enough. The general perception that they were too expensive when in many cases they matched online prices - that was a policy of theirs. Toys are physical products. Other toy chains are not struggling despite internet. Much of the reporting on toys closing was misleading. Sorry for distracting.

Blaming the internet for toys r us closing is just lazy. It shut down because the management didn't adapt well enough. Overheads were too high. Online offering was not compelling enough. The general perception that they were too expensive when in many cases they matched online prices - that was a policy of theirs. Toys are physical products. Other toy chains are not struggling despite internet. Much of the reporting on toys closing was misleading. Sorry for distracting.

Yeah, weren't they already in debt anyway? Didn't have anything to do with toys not selling.

Id agree and say it's lazy (about blaming the internet) if it was JUST toys R Us.. In the last 15 years or so competitive stores in the industry have been struggling. Anyone remember KB toys? There are several industries that have been heavily effected with the way product is shared/sold.

Music stores, movie rental stores, toy stores, Electronic stores.. Even some malls are closing down because they cant get traffic in the stores.

Am I saying the internet is 100% to blame? no, not at all - but it's silly to pretend it's not a huge factor. Our culture of purchasing products have changed and are going to continue to change. Sadly anything to get us interacting less with people is the way we are going.. buying stuff online, going to stores that do not have employees (which does exist now but is very new), communicating via media over in person.

I'll say especially in the United States where we are overly work driven (no life) and don't allow ourselves time to do simple things like shop - by the end of the day all we have energy for is Netflix... (A streaming platform that helped put a lot of stores out of business) lol

technology

I know digital isn't the only factor but it is a big one, and it's only getting bigger. Many people think im super old school for buying CD's or physical movies still, I tell them I like the smell of the booklet lol. But I am def a minority with that.

Plus in several cases (outside of free streaming) it's often cheaper to buy digital - without the cost broken into shipping products to the store, the packaging, disc cost, storage facility costs etc... Plus digital doesn't scratch!
Like I mentioned earlier, the technology many people use today to listen to music is also different. The younger generations are less likely to own a stereo system that you play a CD, tape, or record on it. Many car makers are not putting CD/tape players in their cars anymore as a default. With an Ipod or memory stick, you don't have to carry a bunch of tapes around like with a Walkman and it stores way more music than tapes & CDs. Maybe some hipsters bought a turntable & tape deck, but most people who own that kind of thing are older. Vinyl is expensive now. A new release on record averages $20-$45 for one album, which most people are not going to pay. There's fewer stereo stores like Radio Shack and department stores carry few or no stereos/boomboxes. The last time I was in a Radio Shack, it was just about all cell phones, no stereos or those radio hobby kits they used to sell. Many people are not that concerned with sound quality, they've been listing to MP3s all this time and/or listen to music on cheap computer speakers.

Re: technology

Maybe some hipsters bought a turntable & tape deck, but most people who own that kind of thing are older. Vinyl is expensive now. A new release on record averages $20-$45 for one album, which most people are not going to pay.

lol I'm young and own a turntable but I can tell you, I'm far from being a hipster. I like those things because of my father, he bought all that shit and now they're mine. The first time I heard vinyl I was like "wow! I thought it was going to sound terrible". I was really impressed, far better than playing/listening a CD. But of course for digital I just use Spotify, I sold most of my CDs.

Re: technology

lol I'm young and own a turntable but I can tell you, I'm far from being a hipster. I like those things because of my father, he bought all that shit and now they're mine. The first time I heard vinyl I was like "wow! I thought it was going to sound terrible". I was really impressed, far better than playing/listening a CD. But of course for digital I just use Spotify, I sold most of my CDs.

Respect brother

I've enjoyed the Bruno Mars songs I've heard, so I guess this sounds fine. It could be good. I'm not super into this kind of thing, though. MJ being "modernized" doesn't have much inherent appeal to me because I don't have much fondness for "today's sound".

Yeah, in general another MJ song doing well in the charts would be nice, but I don't care that badly in this instance. To me, it'd be a hollow victory if it's just riding the coattails of a modern artist. I know that using a modern artist may be the only way he can get another huge hit, but I don't really care if that means he never gets another big hit, because he's not around to see it or benefit from it anyway. Anyway, his achievements are already so amazing that they don't NEED to be added to, especially in such an unsatisfying way; I'd be happy for his incredible legacy to remain as-is. It's more important to preserve that legacy and hand it on than to gain supposed "victories" like this.

I don't have a huge philosophical problem with doing this, mind you. But I just can't get that excited about it either, for whatever reason.

I understand the argument about wanting to estate to do well so they release more stuff, but I guess I just can't bring myself to care as badly as some people might.

Why is everyone pretending like it would be safe that we get a new song. To be honest the chances aren‘t that good. He‘s probably just sampling something. Even though I would love to get a duet

It’s been my long wish for someone to remix and complete Fall Again. I’ve always wanted it to be Janet but I’d be happy with Bruno as well.

Michael is the most popular music artist of all time, so I don't think he really needs chart success anymore. He's already cemented in the history books as a legend. And I don't think Michael needs any ''current'' artist to introduce him to younger audiences, because younger audiences already know who Mike is anyway. And the majority of younger audiences love his music. Michael has nothing to prove anymore.

''New'' music would be nice to hear, but I really don't need it to be #1 smash hit. It would be nice, but it's not something I'm desperate to have.

Last edited:
I wonder if the estate or Bruno Mars will say anything before the performance??

MJ Beat started the rumour? - But did they have a source or do they just have inside info?

Rumours of a MJ and Bruno Mars single and Christina Aquilera sampling MJ... - His Legacy is the strongest in the music industry IMO. So many popular artist still use him and samlpe him and tells how much he influenced them. - That will keep introducing MJ to new generations always.

Am I the only one who's not really excited about this duet? :/ Don't need a duet of Michael with any other artist.
I'm quite scared on how this song will turn out.

AT LEAST it's not 'L-l-love it or hate it, it's Mr. Worldwide
With the world greatest
You gonna play this
Well, like a woman that's pregnant for ten months
Be the latest
Don't delay this
I'm on that
Roll it
Making a toast to the king
MJ for life
I mess with good women
But you know that they bad
That's right'

There isn't a better choice than Bruno Mars rn

For example one of my cousins who is 16 years old and only uses music digitally has the Xscape album and nothing else of MJ in his library. He says he really likes APWNN (The new remixed version). And as much as I dislike this version I love the fact that MJ is still present in this new generation in this way. That definetely shows how his legacy benefits from his music being contemporized. To older fans this might not appeal but as long as we also get the original demos on a deluxe version I think it's perfectly fine.

AT LEAST it's not 'L-l-love it or hate it, it's Mr. Worldwide
With the world greatest
You gonna play this
Well, like a woman that's pregnant for ten months
Be the latest
Don't delay this
I'm on that
Roll it
Making a toast to the king
MJ for life
I mess with good women
But you know that they bad
That's right'

There isn't a better choice than Bruno Mars rn

What's this??

Just an idea. But maybe its the Song Lovely Way which was produced by Mark Ranson back in 2010. He and Bruno have done Uptown Funk.

Pitbull. Bad 25.

:doh: :shutup:

Ahh ok, I have only heard that Pitbull remix 1 time - the day I got BAD25. - Will never hear it again.
Those lyrics makes no sense and are an offence to the MJ cataloug...

A question totally off thread

Remixes? They said they added remixes to appeal to the youngsters, BUT do anyone even hear/like remixes these days? Wasn't it a 90/00's thing??

Back