New Netflix 'We Are the World' documentary!!

It happened after Stevie Wonder got the idea of singing some parts in Swahili. For some reason Waylon did not like this idea and protested, but he was outvoted by the majority. So he walked out of the session. The remaining singers practiced this, but the Swahili lyrics wound up not being used.
That’s really odd, isn’t it? It ought to boil down to something else.

That’s really odd, isn’t it? It ought to boil down to something else.
It was reported that he said “No good old boy sings in SwahiliSo you can make an educated guess about what it was really about ;)

Though in articles it says that many artist were opposed to the idea of singing in Swahili. They had been recording all night and were tired and didn’t want to learn how to sing it in that language, some were also afraid it would come off as mocking the people who spoke that language.

Harry Belafonte, inspired by BandAid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas', had the idea of doing a charity single to raise money. Although the organisation was called USA for Africa the initial focus was on Ethiopia, same as Band Aid. Ethiopia has about 100 languages, afaik. Swahili is not one of them. There are hundreds of languages spoken across the African continent, not including the European ones, so I'm not sure what Stevie's thinking was on including Swahili in the song. Maybe it was an OK idea, maybe it was a misstep.

You could know no one on this song, listen to it and discern that the entire energy of the track shifts as soon as Michael opens his mouth. He really was a league above the entire pop world, especially in 1985. For hip hop heads, its the effect NAS has as soon as he speaks on a collab. It's just an entirely different level of quality

another positive thread utterly ruined by paranoia and negativity 😩could have at least waited for the trailer to drop before attacking it..
when will I learn to never get excited about anything in this community?😩

I found it interesting that Tom says that Quincy told him that Lionel started this song and when Quincy heard it he thought that Michael needs kiss this.
I also found it interesting that when Tom asked Quincy if he could hear the demo Quincy said no, and Tom didn't question it(8:40-9:20 in the video).

I found it interesting that Tom says that Quincy told him that Lionel started this song and when Quincy heard it he thought that Michael needs kiss this.
I also found it interesting that when Tom asked Quincy if he could hear the demo Quincy said no, and Tom didn't question it(8:40-9:20 in the video)

I don't know why but I get confused about who wrote it , all these different tales etc mess with my simple mind 😂

The above demo to me is we are the world , the name, melody , structure it's all Michael Jackson right? I've heard Joe Jackson ramble that Michael created 95% of that song I guess Lionel gets credit for changing some of the lyrics but is that it?

It was basically all written by Michael, right?

I don't know why but I get confused about who wrote it , all these different tales etc mess with my simple mind 😂

The above demo to me is we are the world , the name, melody , structure it's all Michael Jackson right? I've heard Joe Jackson ramble that Michael created 95% of that song I guess Lionel gets credit for changing some of the lyrics but is that it?

Check out Michael's account in the Mexico depo. Lionel wrote a small part of the song, Michael wrote most of it. According to Lionel they co-wrote the lyrics together. According to a quote from LaToya Michael wrote all the lyrics but I don't consider her to be a reliable source of info.

Yes it was.

But Michael is dead and most of his celebrity "friends" are trash so false narratives will surely be pushed and History will be rewritten to say someone else wrote the song.

And of course there will be "fans" ready to throw Michael under the bus and accept whatever the new narrative is.

Yes it was.

But Michael is dead and most of his celebrity "friends" are trash so false narratives will surely be pushed and History will be rewritten to say someone else wrote the song.

And of course there will be "fans" ready to throw Michael under the bus and accept whatever the new narrative is.
I'm confused, so Tom is lying or misremembering?

This is great news. Hopefully it will be focusing on the music, the song and the proces.

It should portray MJ in a great light and hopefully everyone involved will talk positive about MJ.

This is what is needed - focus on the artist, the art and to show how genius MJ was, not only at producing, creating music, but also writing.

Now that I think about it.... they had all those stars there...& shot the entire damn thing on tape & not film. That has to be the most devastating to me😂😂

Back