New Netflix 'We Are the World' documentary!!

now that I think about it, I’m perfectly happy with what was previously officially released. ‘we are the world’ documentaries already came out on both vhs & dvd (with extras). both are available on youtube. there was also an extensive article detailing the event. with those, I don’t have to worry about scandalous revisionist history, or profanity.🙁
I’m good 😊 💜

So if Lionel wrote the bridge and altered a few lyrics primarily then, objectively he deserves writing credits. It's basically the same situation as many of MJs contributions on Invincible songs.

So if Lionel wrote the bridge and altered a few lyrics primarily then, objectively he deserves writing credits. It's basically the same situation as many of MJs contributions on Invincible songs.
Of course Lionel needs and deserves writing credit. Maybe MJ compused the most of the melody - but in the deposition MJ says Lionel came up with the part where it goes up a tone and more.

I hope Lionel will stay honest and loyal to MJ and give MJ all the credit he deserves, and I have no doubt to question Lionel - Lionel seems a great person and I think he is loyal and respectful to MJ.

I kinda hate the Netflix's "Reality Show tension momentum", but overall looks promising.
I picked up on that, too. It's definitely a bit naff but I've decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Basically, it looks fine so, fingers crossed! :)

Richie’s name is on it though. Barnes is the only one who apparently got snubbed. Although, interestingly, the bridge he allegedly created can already be heard on Michael’s tape recorder writing session, which was presented during the 1993 deposition. However, on that tape and on the demo, the bridge is slightly different, so maybe Barnes rewrote the bridge to the version we have now.

Edit: It appears that Michael did the demo before that tape with Lionel Richie was recorded, so I guess maybe Barnes helped with the bridge earlier on in the process, before the demo was recorded.

Last edited:
the original documentary released in 1985
The DVD released 20 years later had lots of bonus content. I doubt we'll see anything new other than Lionell and Tom B. talking on the Netflix documentary.

I wonder why no aretha, whitney, it was 46 pop stars & I know prince didn't show but now I'm about to watch the o.g doc because I myself doubt it's gonna be anything new

The DVD released 20 years later had lots of bonus content. I doubt we'll see anything new other than Lionell and Tom B. talking on the Netflix documentary.
But realistically joe public hasn’t seen the “making of” anniversary edition dvd that was released so many years ago

Do you know if it's still available i region 2? I am from Denmark. - Has it ever been released on Blu-Ray?

Richie’s name is on it though. Barnes is the only one who apparently got snubbed. Although, interestingly, the bridge he allegedly created can already be heard on Michael’s tape recorder writing session, which was presented during the 1993 deposition. However, on that tape and on the demo, the bridge is slightly different, so maybe Barnes rewrote the bridge to the version we have now.

Edit: It appears that Michael did the demo before that tape with Lionel Richie was recorded, so I guess maybe Barnes helped with the bridge earlier on in the process, before the demo was recorded.
This is my problem with these post death claims about Michael's songs.

In order to believe Barnes story you have to believe that Michael "Stole" the bridge and then pretended like he was he creating it himself when he was singing into his tape recorder. And if you legitimize that narrative then anyone can show up and claim any of Michael's songs. How do you disprove it? Michael can't defend himself. If Michael's rough draft tape recordings of him creating the songs aren't enough to protect him from these kinda claims, where does it end?

Also in response to your theory, Barnes changing the bridge a little does not mean he deserves a song writing credit. He did not write the song. writing/composing means you created a something new that didn't exist before. Making a few tweaks is not creating something.

The “demo” always sounded to me like it was recorded during the dangerous era. Also Michael didn’t come up with the “sha-la” until the day of the session which angered people.

Netflix just announced a NEW documentary called 'The Greatest Night in Pop', chronicling the creative journey behind 'We Are the World'. The documentary will feature never-before seen footage and all-new interviews from the artists who participated.

To top it off, the documentary will be premiered at SUNDANCE on Jan 19th, before Netflix releases on Jan 29th.

Netflix Twitter Announcement
Rolling Stones Article

Info on the Sundance event:

“We’re thrilled to be adding to our program a special screening of The Greatest Night in Pop, taking us behind the scenes of how “We Are the World” came together, followed by a conversation with Lionel Richie, filmmaker Bao Nguyen, and producer Julia Nottingham,”​

Can't wait to watch it

Looks like it would be lionels project.. at least in the trailer michael seems just like one of the invited stars.. sad

Michael Jackson is a gift from Heaven. During his time here on Earth, he worked tirelessly to share his God-given talent with us. God bless you, Michael Jackson.❤🤗

This is my problem with these post death claims about Michael's songs.

In order to believe Barnes story you have to believe that Michael "Stole" the bridge and then pretended like he was he creating it himself when he was singing into his tape recorder. And if you legitimize that narrative then anyone can show up and claim any of Michael's songs. How do you disprove it? Michael can't defend himself. If Michael's rough draft tape recordings of him creating the songs aren't enough to protect him from these kinda claims, where does it end?

Also in response to your theory, Barnes changing the bridge a little does not mean he deserves a song writing credit. He did not write the song. writing/composing means you created a something new that didn't exist before. Making a few tweaks is not creating something.
Yeah, that’s what I thought initially. However, to be fair, I now think the tape presented during the deposition was recorded after the demo. Why?

Because, on that tape Michael can be heard singing many of the lyrics which ended up on the final version, which were not present on the demo version. Furthermore, Michael’s account of what happened is that he went into the studio, recorded what he had written, and then presented it to Richie.

So, there was no writing session with Richie before the initial demo was recorded, which certainly makes sense. I’m not one to strip away credit from Michael with pleasure, trust me, but in cases such as this one it seems plausible that there is some truth in Barnes’ claims.

Looks like it would be lionels project.. at least in the trailer michael seems just like one of the invited stars.. sad

well.. have you really watched the trailer?
He is talking about how he write the song with MJ and they recording tapes.

IMO for now its fine.. could be more interesting than T40 documentary.

Back