New Netflix 'We Are the World' documentary!!

KOPV

Proud Member
Netflix just announced a NEW documentary called 'The Greatest Night in Pop', chronicling the creative journey behind 'We Are the World'. The documentary will feature never-before seen footage and all-new interviews from the artists who participated.

To top it off, the documentary will be premiered at SUNDANCE on Jan 19th, before Netflix releases on Jan 29th.

Netflix Twitter Announcement
Rolling Stones Article

Info on the Sundance event:

“We’re thrilled to be adding to our program a special screening of The Greatest Night in Pop, taking us behind the scenes of how “We Are the World” came together, followed by a conversation with Lionel Richie, filmmaker Bao Nguyen, and producer Julia Nottingham,”​

Last edited:
Sundance , was that the same place where Leaving Neverland had it's premier? 😡

Michael's demo btw - is that the way Michael presented it to Quincy and Lionel? He basically wrote the entire song and melody?

I know many of the lyrics were changed on the verses but the template was all Michael right? It annoys me that Lionel gets as much credit as he does .

Fingers crossed that this is not another attempt by Lionel Richie to take almost all the credit and ignore Michael's contributions for We Are The World. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is only briefly mentioned considering Netflix and Sundance involvement.

Fingers crossed that this is not another attempt by Lionel Richie to take almost all the credit and ignore Michael's contributions for We Are The World. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is only briefly mentioned considering Netflix and Sundance involvement.
Sundance is just a festival, they don't have a hand in the production side of things as far as I know.

I just hope that Michael gets the credit that he deserves for the creation of the song. I also hope that they don't make any snide remarks about Michael regarding the controversies.
Yup I agree, it's literally Michael's own song that He wrote!! I like Lionel but sometimes he gets too much credit for it.

Yup I agree, it's literally Michael's own song that He wrote!! I like Lionel but sometimes he gets too much credit for it.
I have no interest in Lionel Richie's own music so I don't pay attention to him. I have no idea what he normally says about WATW but in the video I watched he mostly talked about him and Michael co-writing the lyrics, he didn't really say anything about the song itself. I didn't feel like he said anything that contradicted Michael's story in the Mexico depo. Iirc, I've seen a quote from LaToya saying Michael wrote most of the lyrics but I'm not sure I consider her to be a reliable source of info.

I am afraid they try to change history with that... imagine MJ is only mentioned as someone who sung on it..

Lionel has spoken positively of MJ Lately so it should be fine.

It'd be darkly funny if it was a hit piece though, solely because the Thriller 40 doc definitely made MJ front and center. We don't want a hit piece though.

I do not remember that he did tray to ignore the contribution of Michael in the past. In fact i consider Lionel as one of the person`s who did never say shady things over MIchael.

I wonder if they're going to mention Waylon Jennings getting upset and leaving. He's still listed on the record but didn't sing on the song and is not in the music video. Waylon can be seen in a few clips on the behind the scenes feature that was shown on TV when the song was originally released.

yeah i wouldn't be surprised if netflix tries to re-write history as they have tried to do before
hopefully they learned their lesson after that queen cleopatra "docuseries" flopped so bad

8BdTRsu2_mini.jpg

Thomas Bähler

@tbahler
·
8h
Replying to @netflix
It is a great documentary - btw - I'm interviewed on this show...(I was the Associate Producer asa well as the Vocal Arranger) It was a night to remember -

Smh we do not need a we are the world documentary...I mean...for what its been 39years technology & besides...We need victory 40, a show in full 4k

Last edited:
Why was he upset?
It happened after Stevie Wonder got the idea of singing some parts in Swahili. For some reason Waylon did not like this idea and protested, but he was outvoted by the majority. So he walked out of the session. The remaining singers practiced this, but the Swahili lyrics wound up not being used.

It happened after Stevie Wonder got the idea of singing some parts in Swahili. For some reason Waylon did not like this idea and protested, but he was outvoted by the majority. So he walked out of the session. The remaining singers practiced this, but the Swahili lyrics wound up not being used.
You know, with the benefit of hindsight..

Personally I'd rather see a documentary about the 1985 Sun City song than We Are The World. Or maybe King Holiday or the all female artists theme song from the 1995 movie Panther.

Maybe they will mention the Haiti version of We Are The World.

Back