Newsweek's new MJ special issue?

mkgenie

Proud Member
Just saw these pics from twitter and facebook
They say it's a new magazine
But I heard Newsweek has been shut down?

Somebody here can confirm this?

1634579269e6cc449z605e.jpg

1634576k2k6kf6f2bj4rf5.jpg

163457hbesb6hu3bxelhs9.jpg

163456bujm8ucucznb5bec.jpg

On August 3, 2013, IBT Media announced it had acquired Newsweek from IAC on terms that were not disclosed; the acquisition included the Newsweek brand and its online publication, IBT Media planned to relaunch a print edition of Newsweek on March 7, 2014.[SUP][10]
[/SUP]

New owners .. I went to the website but didn't see the MJ cover yet
They had a Beatles featured Story last month

Here is The Newsweek website
http://www.newsweek.com/

I read it interviews Michael Bush, as we can see in the picture and David Nordahl. I hope it's a truthful and positive feature, the cover is gorgeous and the pictures look great, I agree.

There are already inaccuracies from that magazine. From Nate Giorgio's fb page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...101602700190.156234.1267873054&type=1&theater

Talking about MJ and my art in the magazine "Newsweek" ...a new special issue hitting stands now.

But the story in Newsweek is a bit off, here's the truth about what MJ and I talked about at his home in 2008. Articles only mention bits and pieces of a story and I thought you would enjoy the full true story:
In 2008, MJ flew me to Las Vegas and he told me he was going back to work and wanted me to start on some new paintings. After a few weeks of sketching and thinking about concepts, I told MJ I wanted to combine oil painting with digital art printed on canvas for some of the larger murals, I told him the art should be fresh and current, something new, and he LOVED the idea. I was planning to work with a Japanese digital-artist friend of mine Kagaya, who I met while exhibiting in Japan years ago. When Kagaya bowed out, I contacted another artist Drazenka Kimpel and I showed MJ her work and he loved it (Michael actually kept a piece of her work I gave him at Carolwood). We were ready to fly her out to LA and start on some ideas when MJ suddenly passed.

So this is the true short version about what we discussed and the direction MJ and I were heading towards in creating new murals for his home and museum. No one else knew any of this, MJ told me he hadn't seen or talked with David Nordahl in years. I was planning on working with Drazenka to mix oil painting over huge massive digital images to create a totally new look for MJ. MJ was planning to film everything too, as the paintings were being created. -N.G.

1982330_10203122143275619_325191942_n.jpg

Checked Walmart and CVS today - no luck. Does anyone know where it is sold?

When newsweek mag was in print and relevant MJ was relentlessly ridiculed and bashed. Newsweek was the leader telling the masses that MJ was bankrupt,ommitting that he was asset rich with the beattles catolog etc.

Sorry irrelevant newsweek, this MJ fan not buying your desperate cash grab.

Last edited:
Iwon't buy it.

The New Newsweek (almost)

I knew that Newsweek was going to publish a tribute issue to Michael Jackson and I got the word that it had been released. I had hopes for the reporter obviously new to the “Michael Jackson story.” After a rocky and schizophrenic confusing moment, it seemed there was an authentic interest in what was “important for his legacy.” I cheered and held my breath hoping the real Jackson, as I had come to know, would finally be revealed.
I got a message it was published and on its way to the stands and I went out with great anticipation to get my copy. I began reading a piece from the reporter who seemed momentarily anyway, a convert from the usual tabloid-informed brain to a reasonable and open mind and mindset about Jackson.
The story I read was accurate and laudable. I then began reading the magazine from the beginning… I was encouraged by the accolades published by those people who actually knew Michael Jackson– the people who count in re-counting his personality, generosity and genius. Some of the material was truly inspiring.
This magazine was turning out to be a worthy tribute– finally. And it was until– alas– the last entry.
It seemed that despite a few minor misinformation glitches, there was to be no snarky commentary about his appearance, race, skin color or the tabloid myth of his other-than-paternal-and-mentoring interest in children. (What sick child in a hospital or anywhere for that matter wouldn’t be excited and inspired by the most famous man and entertainer in the world coming to see him or her?) They all seem to forget the man was found innocent on charges 14 times– 14 times “not guilty” rang out. Nobody gets off on 14 charges if truly guilty unless they are empty charges and there is no case as many have said of Jackson’s trial. The charges were piled on by a district attorney known to pile on charges hoping something will stick and who had a vendetta against Jackson and who didn’t like minorities in his elite, premiere and very white city. And he certainly didn’t like a black entertainer owning property that he and his real estate cohorts wanted for a vineyard in the winery-peppered foothills of the Santa Ynez Mountaings. Hurray, I thought and congratulations to Newsweek for a very close to completely unbiased issue of Newsweek featuring a man about whom nobody seems to know the truth or care to know it.
But as I read the very last article, this stellar story of the real Michael Jackson was not to be. It seems they just can’t help themselves– they just have to go there despite profusely documented extortion, exoneration, and media malfeasance. “Finding Neverland” made snarky references to Jackson and his life citing his journey “from the most adorable of kiddie performers to the most “sinister superstar.”
And “as a singer, Jackson was too much of a chameleon”(instead of versatile and widely talented) which reduced him to simply just a “giant” in the shadow of great “demigods” like Sinatra and Ray Charles, says the authors of the final article. Is one a competing musician and singer?
Before I continue, let me inform you that the writer who assisted David Gates (is this the same David Ashworth Gates who formed the band “Bread?”) was Raina Kelley, a black woman who is so outraged about race and racial bias that she has written about it everywhere she has worked or contributed. It’s not that the outrage isn’t warranted given the history of racism in America and its mythology about black men (actually mentioned in the story.) It’s that she has a half white-half black son whom when he was born, she initially wished he would get darker and look black instead of Caucasian like her husband so he wouldn’t be mistaken as white. She feared the eventual scenario of a white young man kindly helping an elderly black woman across the street– that everybody would think a stranger rather than his mother.
But why the outrage against Jackson and the racial hate in this article? Is it the same sentiment that once swept the black population when Jackson began to look more white than black that labeled him a traitor to his race? Is it the mythology of the “bleaching cream” that was supposed to make him more attractive to whites? (His attractiveness to whites is even mentioned in this article and is viewed as “contrived.”) Nobody apparently researched his fans and their history and certainly nobody asked the well behaved and articulate ones. Nobody bothered to see the documentary about his trial or speak to its filmmakers about how the fans felt about Jackson.
Between them, authors Ms. Kelley and Mr. Gates managed to Make Jackson a hermaphrodite or asexual: “when he was a grown man his apparent lack of adult sexuality;” and “sexually unassertive;” and “never had the sexual credibility of a James Brown or a Wilson Pickett, in part because of his high-pitched voice, in part because he never seemed to fully inhabit himself– whoever that was.”
Jackson fans all over the world might disagree with those words as they found his sexuality thrilling. It was the kind of sexuality that was bold at times, hinted at others, was often sexually aggressive and was mixed with a bold tenderness that thrilled women. It worked with his wife Lisa Marie Presley who called him proficient in bed (though not in those words) and who loved him very much and stood by him until the concierge doctors showed up. And there was his second wife, Debbie Rowe, with whom he had children. Neither of those women complained about his “lack of sexuality.” In fact, Donald Trump observed when Lisa Marie and Michael were married, they spend a great deal of their time inside in their hotel room and emerged with the glow of newlyweds that couldn’t keep their hands off each other.
They write that much of what Jackson achieved seems now “baldly symbolic” and acts of appropriation and mastery if not outright aggression– growing up in the Midwest to marry Elvis’ daughter, and acquire the Beatles Catalogue. (Would those comments be made about an extremely successful white man?)
And of course, they referenced his displaying Prince II from the balcony of the German hotel (“dangled to the horror and fascination of fans”) as once again, the tabloid meme makes it into a “legitimate” magazine like Newsweek. And that act that was supposed to be a private moment between him and fans begging to get a glimpse of his new baby was also symbolic to the writers: “seemed like a ritual attempt to dispose of his younger self.”
Journalists can’t have it both ways– you can’t “dispose of your younger self and live a Peter Pan existence! Which is it?
The magazine cites Nelson George as his biographer. While it could have been worse, George is not the ultimate authority and his book is biased. No one bothered to seek out Joe Vogel, the latest professional author and biographer, nor director Spike Lee who just put together a biographical film.
And there is this– allowed to leak into this article in part by a black woman: “he performed his dance of death as a central figure in America’s long racial horror show.” “A messianic superstar” (Jackson never saw himself that way nor has anyone who ever personally knew him or worked with him called him “messianic,” but quite the opposite– as polite, respectful, generous and gracious to everyone he ever worked with.)
But it gets worse: “he neutered himself racially too: His hair went from kinky to straight (whose didn’t in those days?) his lips from full to thin, his nose from broad to pinched and his skin from dark to a ghastly pallor.” And nowhere in this article is his Vitiligo or Lupus Erythematosus mentioned as the cause of his skin pigment and scarring problems.
While citing the quote by Anna Kisselgoff that he was a “virtuoso” and called a genius and a “natural talent” by everyone who worked closely with him, this article calls him an “artificer” or someone who is contrived, constructed or made up.
Am I the only one who senses Shadenfreude and projected shadow in this article? A black women who is upset that her son isn’t black enough and if it is the same David Ashworth Gates, singer and songwriter with the band “Bread” and it seems likely, for one of the authors of an actually truthful and complimentary article is Jeff Ashworth. Are they related? Why are there no bios of these authors?
At the end of the article, the authors wonder if Jackson was excited about re-mythologizing himself in “This Is It.” And end with a weird “Ask him sometime if you see him” remark.
This article isn’t all bad, but it’s definitely schizophrenic and full of unexamined assumptions by the authors.
It’s really too bad because the rest of the magazine is more truthful, factual and objective and avoids speculation, personal projections and tabloid-informed opinions. It does, however rehash old stuff published long ago instead of talking with those now, who worked with Michael then. There are a couple of exceptions and the magazine while reduced to mediocrity by the final article filled with innuendo and speculation that reflects the authors instead of Jackson, it is worth grudgingly collecting because of some of the other accurate and interesting entries.
Artist David Nordahl, interviewed by Jeff Ashworth who isn’t completely without previous tabloid taint but who looks to have made an honest attempt at neutrality in writing this work, tells of Michael Jackson’s great dream of a museum of his life and work– for the real story of Michael Jackson is hidden in plain sight and Michael knew that one day it would become visible in a museum as mass consciousness evolved to understand and decode it.
It seems a museum was really important to him and he saw a museum as his true legacy. It apparently meant so much to him that as he tried to navigate the demands on him in preparations for “This Is It” and even with all that angst, he found the time and energy to call Nate Giorgio and David Nordahl to tell them he thought he found the perfect location for his museum. Hopefully the right ears are listening to that, his fondest wish.
But no magazine yet has nailed the real Michael Jackson. And nobody has bothered to talk with knowledgeable fans and biographers who might enlighten a researcher but that might take real work instead of cobbled together halfhearted attempts with intentions to sell magazines more than intentions of truth. That work is yet to be released.
Too bad your last story couldn’t have been something other than a tabloid rehash. How very, very sad. But how naive to hope for something lofty when Newsweek merged with The Daily Beast and is now the Newsweek Daily Beast Company.
Nice try Newsweek. Close but not quite.

If you decide to write to Newsweek, please be factual and polite and congratulate them on what they did right as well as what they didn’t do correctly.
Newsweek Magazine:
newsweek@emailcustomerservice.com

http://www.innermichael.com/2014/03/the-new-newsweek-almost/

Ah Newsweek, you did not disappoint. :rolleyes2: When you still have authors crying about how Michael hated being black five years after it was proven he had vitiligo, you know the human race is ****ed.

Does anyone know....Does the article actually say where the 'perfect location for his museum' is?

I was in Walgreen's yesterday and remembered the magazine was out-and decided to look for it and it was there. I wasn't sure whether to get it or not, but it had been almost five years and I thought it would be more acccurate and compassionate with everything everyone knows now.
It was OK (a few too many pages devoted to Michael's different jeweled gloves) but the David Gates piece just enraged me (for all the reasons you mention) and it ruined the whole thing for me.

Maybe in a few days I'll calm down about it and find it laughable that the Michael that I love and adore is so different than the person they see and write about. I'll never understand how they can be so off base.

Does anyone know why this was put out now? Was there an anniversary of something that made them put this out?

I don't think so because that is in June and the magazine is supposed to be pulled off the shelves by the end of May.

They probably wanted to get it out early, considering a certain trial will be rearing its ugly head again around that time...

Back