Off The Wall vs Thriller (Song Battle)

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
Which one is your favorite?
I personally prefer Thriller but I love both. They are not in my Top 10 though.

I mean the actual songs ?
OK-thanks. Then, Off the Wall. :)

(although, I admit there's barely a hair between the two of them-I really love Thriller too-I have my homemade cassette of it that I play on Halloween night when I give out candy-and all the little kids dance like mad up to the porch while it plays on my old boom box).

Last edited:
"Off The Wall", definitely. That's MJ's best song after "Rock With You", IMO. "Thriller" is also great, but I think it's relatively too corny.

Off the Wall. It's so damn funky and my heart kinda leaps with joy when I hear that song!

Definitely Thriller. I've never really been too big on the song Off The Wall admittedly.

"Off The Wall" - Probably his most convincing of all the Temperton/boogie era songs and his best carefree vocal performance. It's that unique quality he had of combining playfulness with raw unadulterated power.

"Thriller" - The way he emotes the energy behind the meaning and theme of the lyrics and song, is second to none. Except for maybe Stevie Wonder...YES! I said Stevie Wonder, I don't know any other artist past or present that could convincingly pulled off one of pop music's most bizarre songs to ever land on top #40 radio.

I stopped trying to decide which song was his best, because I realised that each song that he recorded has it's strengths (and possible weaknesses). So while I can't decide what his BEST is (that's subjective), I can certainly say what MY favorite is......"Off The Wall"....of course!

Last edited:
I think Off The Wall is the best song Rod Temperton wrote for Michael

Although I think Thriller has one of the bridges I have every heard in popular music, which does not get enough credit on it's own, Off The Wall is just so fun, groovy and brilliant at the same time.

it's impossible for me to choose cause I love them both really for different reasons.

Like Off the wall is a real Party song. it's Funky and gets you wiggling on your chair even :D

I love Thriller cause it has a COOL Baseline and I love the 'creepy' verses by Vincent Price.
I also love the dance routine of Thriller :clapping:

Off the wall, the power dancey energy, whereas Thriller is a bit larded down by overdubs, although the video and dance sequence blow me away. A draw for me, Off the Wall as a song but Thriller for the video.

Back