Official Behind the Mask video leak?

MUCH better than the fan video. Why the heck didn't they release it??? This could easily compete with any video out there today. So frustrating. ...

B&W: What do you think of the remixes they did of your songs?
MJ: The least I can say is that I don't like them...I don't like it that they come in and change my songs completely, (*Dear Michael, I don't like it either....poor baby!*) But Sony says that the kids love remixes...

B&W: That is not true! The kids don't love the remixes that much, especially those on BOTDF!
MJ: I knew it! I was sure!
Throwing a fist in the air, then he shakes his head sighing

http://maljas.republika.pl/wywiady/bw.html

I agree with Michael here. I don't like remixes either. Those are other people's vision of Michael's songs not Michael's. I sometimes watch remixes and mashups on YouTube, but I'm not crazy for them. I never listen to the second half of BOTDF or the remixes on Thriller 25 or Bad 25. To me they are a waste of space.

The whole interview is very interesting. It's as if Michael did not know some things that was done with his music. For example, he keeps asking the fans if this or that song was released as a single. That's very interesting, it seems he did not have much control over certain aspects of marketing his music.

I think this video is easily the best of everything that was released from Michael. It's dynamic, stylish, it's mysterious. It has vague parallels to Ghosts (with MJ behind the mask) and Liberian Girl (lots of people waiting for Michael). MJ himself may not have done one like this, but all videos from "Michael" were not MJ's videos, they were tributes to MJ, and as a tribute this one is way better than corny HMH, amateur Behind the Mask, and even HT that was well done but about someone else as a main character.

It's also obvious that anything with real Michael footage would beat any of these videos in fans' eyes. Probably for general public also, because even if not hardcore fans, people still want to see Michael himself. The estate may not have fitting footage for everything, but they do have footage that can be used and they don't use it - who knows why. E.g. Bad 25 contained just bits and pieces of recordings that obviously exist in longer verisions, and the studio footage of MJ and Siedah could have been used to make a video for IJCSLY single, which, I think, would have earned the release more attention.

All In Your Name was officially released by Barry Gibb. He had the studio footage of him and MJ recording the song. Estate had nothing for Hold My Hand, Hollywood and this one. In my opinion this video is by far better than Hold My Hand video and maybe even better than Hollywood video which was ok.

The Estate probably has unreleased footage of shows, concerts and behind the scenes footage. Those could all be used for videos with a little creativity. But even putting aside involving Michael, I think there should be more creative ideas for his videos in the future than people clubbing/fans dancing to his music.

The whole interview is very interesting. It's as if Michael did not know some things that was done with his music. For example, he keeps asking the fans if this or that song was released as a single. That's very interesting, it seems he did not have much control over certain aspects of marketing his music.

I think he was always more forward-looking: new projects, new music, new ideas, so it might have been hard for him to keep track of what was being done with his existing material. His realm was artistry, and Sony did the packaging and marketing. He did pay attention to major releases that earned him chart positions, but all the promo-releases, singles etc. - my impression is that it was handled mostly by Sony, and probably not because MJ didn't have control, but because he thought they could handle it. It's also possible that he was shielding himself by Sony a little bit in that particular interview to avoid explaining complex business reasoning to fans.

It's also obvious that anything with real Michael footage would beat any of these videos in fans' eyes. Probably for general public also, because even if not hardcore fans, people still want to see Michael himself. The estate may not have fitting footage for everything, but they do have footage that can be used and they don't use it - who knows why. E.g. Bad 25 contained just bits and pieces of recordings that obviously exist in longer verisions, and the studio footage of MJ and Siedah could have been used to make a video for IJCSLY single, which, I think, would have earned the release more attention.

That's a great example of a missed opportunity! I think even for non-fans that footage would have been a lot more interesting than the videos they did for the album. Michael was very charming there.

I think it's just okay. :) a bit boring.
and i don't like majority of the remixes either.

This video is amazing, million times better than released one. But I understand why they did that. They knew the promotion of the album is over. They scrapped everything, they had plans to release Monster as a single too and maybe The Way You Love Me. But when they saw that no one cares about that album because of the mistakes they did, they stopped promoting it. They realised that they would have much more problems in the future if they continued to promote that album (especially if they released fake song as a single). So they just stopped everything and moved on.

But the video itself is great.. Anyone have download link, please PM. Thanks!

Your reason doesn't make sense IMO.
I agree they may have known that promo for 'Michael' was coming to an end, and they did scrap Monster, but they still released the fan video for BTM instead of this one. Why? It was already made. The money was already spent. Why spend the money on this and then release a cheaper and inferior video?

The Estate probably has unreleased footage of shows, concerts and behind the scenes footage. Those could all be used for videos with a little creativity. But even putting aside involving Michael, I think there should be more creative ideas for his videos in the future than people clubbing/fans dancing to his music.

For me, this video says much more than 'fans clubbing'. It draws on the tradition and 'mystery' of Venetian Carnevale, which goes back to the 11th century, and is still celebrated with masked dances at the annual festival today. I love the way that the video encompasses so many of the 'personas' that Michael portrayed in his short films, and alludes to the creativity he maintained all through his career. I think it is a great tribute piece, and very beautiful visually. I think it really matches the music very well.

This video is very similar to the History remix video, although Michael was not directly involved in that. In fact the guy who directed the History video, Jim Gable, was also the producer of the Vision set (and Bad tour DVD and was director of Number Ones tv Special) yet chose not to include it. So that video clearly wasn't a big part of Michael's Vision.

Last edited:
[youtube]NRGYMxFTh4Y[/youtube]

I love it. And with all that's going on with the AEG trial, it was really refreshing to be reminded of the genius of MJ's music!

There are three more photos from the backstage of this video :)

t0hnxy.jpg

Awww cute dog :wub:

On the subject of Michael hating all remixes of his music... it just doesn't add up to me. What about the re imagined songs on Thriller 25? I thought there was some good parts, and Michael worked on them too.

Lark

I think if michael was included in making the remixes he didnt mind them as at least he could put in some of his vision for it

I also wonder why they didn't release this, I didn't really like the fan video. Although it was a good way to get fans involved.

This version is exactly what I thought should have been done with the remix of Bad with Pitbull. This shows Michael's song from the 80's still on trend with today's listener. Michael's dance steps are done and his image throughout the years are shown in so many clever ways!

It is unfortunate to see a quality video looked over for no clear, logical reason. I do not understand this at all. Such a utter waste!

It's the most famous French fanzine that was published and distributed internationally for years. MJ supported it and gave them exclusives sometimes. It's offtopic here, but if you want I can upload the whole collection for you - since you are from Canada, you probably understand French :)

Is it possible to upload Michael's exclusive interviews?

Last edited:
I really love this video! Amazing ideas.
Sad that 4 years and the Estate still can’t work free.

As for the remixes I’m sure remixes can be different and I think Michael didn’t like when the song was changed…
Some classic remixes, those we can hear on BOTDF.

But sometimes remix can add more to the song.
I would never thought I could like remixes that much as I like Immortal versions.

It depends on how creative and caring are people who is working.

And I think it isn’t right to act like Michael didn’t like this or that so they should not do it…

EVERYTHING can be done with quality and be GREAT worth of the King.

Could you imagine that the video for Behind The Mask would be that good?!

I don't think Michael had much if any involvement on the Thriller 25 remixes other than final approval.

^^ He didn't. He would deliver the stem tapes to the producers (will.i.am, Fergie, Kanye West and Akon), wait for them to be finished and sign off on them if he approved. The only one he had any sort of direct involvement in was Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008. Akon suggested to Michael that he should re-record part of the lead vocal, which he did in the Cascio basement in 2007.

GREAT VIDEO !!

I have been on vacation - so hasn't seen this before now. - And I think it is great!!

This version needs to be released ASAP!!! - On MJ's official VEVO and on MJ's homepage!

Great video for an amazing song!!

Glad I got to see this! Have been wondering about this video since I saw those pictures.

Have to say I really like this and it would have been worth putting out, as well as having the fan project on YouTube as an extra. But this should have been a big promo single with this video as the main release. It's something quirky that people look for nowadays and definitely brings MJ into this decade.

Back