Official David Bowie Appreciation thread

N4ty;4049646 said:
I'm a new fan! I have only listened to his 70's/80's stuff for now and my favorite songs so far are Station to Station, Rebel Rebel, Changes, Heroes and Modern Love...
I have also watched Labyrinth, loved it! :girl_love: :wild:

I recommend to watch his performances on YouTube… David was fantastic live. I love VH1 Storytellers with David. And his interviews are very interesting to watch, the man had a great sense of humor! He was very special.

10/18/2016 by Chris Payne - Billboard
david-bowie-press-photo-2016-billboard-650-1548.jpg

This Friday (Oct. 21) the cast album of David Bowie’s Lazarus musical hits stores, bringing with it three previously-unheard studio recordings from the singer's final album, Blackstar. Two of those Tony Visconti-produced gems were unveiled on Tuesday (Oct. 18) on BBC Radio.

Head over here to hear “No Plan” at 46:10 and here for “When I Met You” at the 51:00 mark.
The third and final unreleased song -- “Killing a Little Time” -- has not yet been revealed.

Previously, these had only been heard within the Lazarus musical, which premiered in late 2015 in New York City. Those cast versions -- in addition to theatrical takes of the Blackstar album cuts and Bowie classics like “Changes” -- are also available on the dual-disc cast album due out this week. Find the full track listing for the Lazarus cast album here.

All three previously-unreleased songs were made with the Blackstar band and producer Tony Visconti. David Bowie passed away on Jan. 10, a day before the cast recordings found on the new release were made.

The Lazarus musical will make its London premiere Oct. 25 at King’s Cross Theatre, with dates scheduled through Jan. 21, 2017.

Two expensive but great box sets coming up

http://store.hmv.com/music/david-bowie

DAVID BOWIE ‘A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN (1977 – 1982)’ is the third in a series of box sets spanning his career from 1969 and the follow-up to the awarding winning and critically acclaimed DAVID BOWIE ‘FIVE YEARS (1969 – 1973)’ and DAVID BOWIE ‘WHO CAN I BE NOW? (1974 – 1976)’.

This 11CD box set features features all of the material officially released by David Bowie between 1977 and 1982 including all four studio albums, his 1978 live album ‘STAGE’ in both original and expanded tracklistings, the newly compiled “HEROES” E.P., collecting together both the German and French long and single versions of “Heroes”, and the exclusive new compilation of single versions, non-album singles and B-sides, ‘RE:CALL 3’. Also included exclusively is a brand new remix of the 1979 album ‘LODGER’ by long time Bowie producer/collaborator Tony Visconti. The ‘BAAL’ EP appears here for the very first time in its entirety on CD, while ‘Beauty And The Beast’ (extended version) and ‘Breaking Glass’ (Australian single version) are making their debuts on CD, all on ‘RE:CALL 3’.

The CD box set includes faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums, and the CDs are gold coloured rather than the usual silver.

Box Set contains:

128 Page hardback book
Low (remastered) (1CD)
"Heroes" (remastered) (1CD)
“Heroes” E.P. (remastered) (CD EP)*
Stage (remastered) (2CD)*
Stage (2017) (remastered) (2CD)
Lodger (remastered) (1CD)
Lodger (Tony Visconti 2017 Mix) (1CD)*
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1CD)
Re:Call 3 (single versions, non-album singles, and B-sides) (remastered) (1CD)*
* Exclusive to ‘A New Career In A New Town (1977-1982)’

The box set’s accompanying 128 page book features rarely seen and previously unpublished photos by photographers including Anton Corbijn, Helmut Newton, Andrew Kent, Steve Schapiro, Duffy and many others as well as historical press reviews and technical notes about the albums from producer Tony Visconti.

I've spent a lot of tonight just playing David Bowie and man, I can't stop being in awe of this incredible man. He just oozed cool.

Can't get over him, quite simply a legend in every respect.

Last edited:
As expensive as it is, I need that boxset. While Station to Station is my favourite album, Low through to Scary Monsters is the greatest string of albums by any artist ever in my opinion.

Low is the reason that recording noises was invented.

As expensive as it is, I need that boxset. While Station to Station is my favourite album, Low through to Scary Monsters is the greatest string of albums by any artist ever in my opinion.

Low is the reason that recording noises was invented.

Damn, I need to check out the Berlin trilogy soon. Was reading up on it the other day. I listened to the album Heroes as I was drifting off asleep the other night, woke up to some nice instrumentals that I want to check out again. I also can't get enough of Beauty and the Beast!

Heroes is also one of my most favorite song ever. It's one of those songs that just make you feel out of this world, it makes you think about everything. I love songs like that. I also love how he evolves to screaming his vocals, so raw, powerful and moving.

I don't know if it's my favorite Bowie song. Maybe it is, but I feel if I say that then I come off as one of those people who only likes an artists biggest hits or something. Like it's 'everyone's favorite Bowie song', but then I hear the song and I just don't care because it's incredible. Also who cares, ya know? It's a silly thing to worry or care about.

By Scott Munro | October 3, 2018 | Classic Rock
NZTVoRzdC3Aehp3Nxwjvjk-970-80.jpg

David Bowie’s performance from Glastonbury in 2000 is to receive a home release.

Bowie headlined the festival on Sunday, June 25, that year, with the new package set to arrive on 2CD/DVD, 3LP, 2CD and on digital platforms on November 30 via Parlophone Records.

The new release will include all 21 songs from his greatest hits set, while the DVD will include video of the entire performance for the very first time. Only 37 minutes of the set were previously broadcast.

Bowie Glastonbury 2000 will also come with the vocalist’s diary from the time, which he originally wrote for Time Out documenting his preparations for the UK festival show.

Bowie Glastonbury 2000 has been remastered and the video quality upgraded and will also include liner notes from author and Bowie fan Caitlin Moran.

Glastonbury co-organiser Emily Eavis says: “I often get asked what the best set I've seen here at Glastonbury is, and Bowie's 2000 performance is always one which I think of first. It was spellbinding – he had an absolutely enormous crowd transfixed.
“I think Bowie had a very deep relationship with Worthy Farm and he told some wonderful stories about his first time at the festival in 1971, when he stayed at the farmhouse and performed at 6am as the sun was rising.

“He just played the perfect headline set. It really was a very special and emotional show.”

2CD + DVD SET

CD 1
Introduction (Greensleeves)
Wild Is The Wind
China Girl
Changes
Stay
Life On Mars?
Absolute Beginners
Ashes To Ashes
Rebel Rebel
Little Wonder
Golden Years

CD 2
Fame
All The Young Dudes
The Man Who Sold The World
Station To Station
Starman
Hallo Spaceboy
Under Pressure
Ziggy Stardust
“Heroes”
Let’s Dance
I’m Afraid Of Americans

DVD
Wild Is The Wind
China Girl
Changes
Stay
Life On Mars?
Absolute Beginners
Ashes To Ashes
Rebel Rebel
Little Wonder
Golden Years
Fame
All The Young Dudes
Station To Station
Starman
Hallo Spaceboy
Under Pressure
Ziggy Stardust
“Heroes”
Let’s Dance
I’m Afraid Of Americans

3 x LP

Side 1
Wild Is The Wind
China Girl
Changes

Side 2
Stay
Life On Mars?
Absolute Beginners

Side 3
Ashes To Ashes
Rebel Rebel
Little Wonder
Golden Years

Side 4
Fame
All The Young Dudes
Station To Station

Side 5
Starman
Hallo Spaceboy
Under Pressure
Ziggy Stardust

Side 6
“Heroes”
Let’s Dance
I’m Afraid Of Americans

2CD

CD 1
Wild Is The Wind
China Girl

Changes
Stay
Life On Mars?
Absolute Beginners
Ashes To Ashes
Rebel Rebel
Little Wonder
Golden Years

CD 2
Fame
All The Young Dudes
Station To Station
Starman
Hallo Spaceboy
Under Pressure
Ziggy Stardust
“Heroes”
Let’s Dance
I’m Afraid Of Americans
glasto_2000_cvr_1080sq.jpg

X3CDDB058.jpg

Release Date: November 15th, 2019

Parlophone Records is proud to announce DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE, a five CD box set and digital equivalent tracking David’s early development throughout 1968 and 1969, via his home demos, BBC radio sessions, studio recordings with guitarist John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson and the experimental music and mime group, Feathers. The collection also celebrates the 50th anniversaries of the release of the ‘Space Oddity’ single and David’s second album, David Bowie (aka Space Oddity).

DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE contains twelve previously unreleased tracks/demos from the period as well as a brand new mix of the Space Oddity (aka David Bowie) album by long-time Bowie producer/collaborator Tony Visconti.

The new mix of the album now features the title track of the boxset ‘Conversation Piece’ restored to the tracklisting in its initially intended position, before it was originally dropped due to time constraints of vinyl.

Of the 2019 Space Oddity album mix Visconti says “It was so much fun to find hidden gems of musicianship with more time to mix the second time around, a guitar twiddle here, a trombone blast there, Marc Bolan’s voice in a group choir and more detail in general that we overlooked all those years ago when the label gave us a week at the most to mix this album. And in the details you will find 22 year old David Bowie, who would soon take the world by storm."

The 120 page hardback book accompanying the box features exclusive memorabilia from the personal collection of David’s former manager, the late Ken Pitt, as well as from the David Bowie Archive®, and includes photos by Ray Stevenson, Vernon Dewhurst, David Bebbington, Ken Pitt, Alec Byrne, Tony Visconti and Jojanneke Claasen.

The sleeve notes have been written for the release by Bowie experts Mark Adams, Tris Penna and Kevin Cann along with contributions from David’s lifelong friend George Underwood, Tony Visconti, Vernon Dewhurst, Dana Gillespie and John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson.

The 2019 mix of the Space Oddity album will also be released separately and individually on CD, standard digital, 96/24 digital and vinyl. The various vinyl configurations will be randomly distributed worldwide with a mixture of hand-numbered labels; numbers 1 to 1969 on silver vinyl numbers and 1970 to 2019 on gold vinyl, with the remainder being black vinyl.

DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE
Titles marked * are unreleased and the two Decca tracks presented here are released in superior quality to that released on the Deluxe Edition of David’s self-titled debut album on Deram. There is also a rare appearance for the full length mono version of Feathers’ ‘Ching-a-Ling’.

CD 1 - Home Demos
April’s Tooth Of Gold (2.29) *
The Reverend Raymond Brown (Attends the Garden Fête on Thatchwick Green) (2.15) *
When I’m Five (3.18) *
Mother Grey (3.00)
In The Heat Of The Morning (2.59)
Goodbye 3d (Threepenny) Joe (3.19)
Love All Around (2.49)
London Bye, Ta-Ta (3.31)
Angel Angel Grubby Face (version 1) (2.31)
Angel Angel Grubby Face (version 2) (2.37)
Animal Farm (2.21) *
Space Oddity (solo demo fragment) (2.39)
Space Oddity (version 1) with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (4.02)
Space Oddity (version 2) with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (5.00) *
Space Oddity (version 3) with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (5.10)
Lover To The Dawn with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (3.50)
Ching-a-Ling with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (2.58)
An Occasional Dream with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (2.49)
Let Me Sleep Beside You with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (2.54)
Life Is A Circus with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (4.50)
Conversation Piece (3.47) *
Jerusalem (4.19) *
Hole In The Ground with George Underwood (3.29) *

CD2 - The ‘Mercury’ Demos with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson
Space Oddity (5.28)
Janine (3.53)
An Occasional Dream (3.18)
Conversation Piece (3.31)
Ching-a-Ling (3.35)
I’m Not Quite (aka Letter To Hermione) (4.00)
Lover To The Dawn (5.01)
Love Song (4.08)
When I’m Five (3.13)
Life Is A Circus (5.33)

CD3 - Conversation Pieces (Mono)
In The Heat Of The Morning (Decca mono version) (2.51)
London Bye, Ta-Ta (Decca alternative version) (2.36)
BBC Top Gear radio session with the Tony Visconti Orchestra, recorded 13th May, 1968
In The Heat Of The Morning (3.01)
London Bye, Ta-Ta (2.39)
Karma Man (3.07)
When I’m Five (3.14)
Silly Boy Blue (4.32)
Ching-a-Ling (2.51)
Space Oddity (Morgan Studios version – alternative take) (4.22)* with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson
Space Oddity (U.K. single edit) (4.42)
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (single B-side – mono mix) (4.54)
Janine (mono mix) (3.23)
Conversation Piece (3.06)
BBC Dave Lee Travis Show radio session, recorded 20th October, 1969
Let Me Sleep Beside You (3.20)
Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed (4.03)
Janine (3.03)

CD 4 - 1969 stereo mixes
The original David Bowie (aka Space Oddity) album

Space Oddity (5.14)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (inc. Don’t Sit Down) (6.51)
Letter To Hermione (2.32)
Cygnet Committee (9.31)
Janine (3.21)
An Occasional Dream (2.54)
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (4.46)
God Knows I'm Good (3.17)
Memory Of A Free Festival (7.09)
The Extras
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (single B-side stereo mix) (4.56)
Letter To Hermione (early mix) (2.32) *
Janine (early mix) (3.23) *
An Occasional Dream (early mix) (2.54) *
Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (full length version) (5.14)

CD 5 - 2019 mixes (all previously unreleased)
The Space Oddity album
Space Oddity (5.20)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (6.18)
Letter To Hermione (2.32)
Cygnet Committee (9.28)
Janine (3.21)
An Occasional Dream (2.57)
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (4.50)
Conversation Piece (3.11)
God Knows I'm Good (3.16)
Memory Of A Free Festival (7.14)
The Extras
Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (single version) (4.59)
Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (5.20)

My favorite Bowie era is from Space Oddity through to Heroes. Station To Station my favorite album. I was very pleased that the 1991 reissue had a couple of live tracks added to it. I went to see him in Milton Keynes in 1983. Great band with Earl Slick & Carlos Alomar on guitars

[video=youtube;KYpoYh-MY7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpoYh-MY7w[/video]

The Victoria & Albert Museum is creating The David Bowie Centre for the Study of the Performing Arts - it will open in 2025.

"The physical legacy of David Bowie is to become publicly available following the donation of the cultural pioneer’s extensive archive to the V&A.

The enormous cache of more than 80,000 items – including handwritten lyrics, instruments, costumes, set designs, letters and album artwork – spanning more than six decades will be held in a special centre being created in east London.

Opening in 2025, the David Bowie Centre for the Study of Performing Arts will provide a “new sourcebook for the Bowies of tomorrow”, said Tristram Hunt, the V&A’s director.

“David Bowie was one of the greatest musicians and performers of all time,” he added. “The V&A is thrilled to become custodians of his incredible archive, and to be able to open it up for the public.

There are handwritten lyrics for songs including Fame, Heroes and Ashes to Ashes. Stage costumes include Ziggy Stardust outfits, flamboyant creations for the 1973 Aladdin Sane tour and the union jack coat designed by Bowie and Alexander McQueen for the cover of the 1997 album Earthling."

one of my favourites
[You Will] Set The World On Fire · David Bowie

One of the artists I have a like/dislike relation with. Station to Station is probably my fave due to the funky sound, could do without the soundscapes on albums like Low.
Other stuff I dig: ashes to ashes, absolute beginners, heroes, modern love

Back