Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

I fail to remember if this link has been posted: http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/campaign.faces?siteId=1&campaign=NoMoreNuclear

Not sure what petitions can do about such a disastrous situation, and I don't know what's more disastrous: the authorities' (from all over the world, generally speaking) lack of concern about nuclear reactors, or the aftermath. Definitely both...

In my experience, petitions don't do very much. At least in democratic countries, what matters is VOTING. To be sure that representatives in government are just that, REPRESENTATIVE of the people. Political movements do work, but what seems to work effectively is DEMONSTRATIONS. Actual people in the streets, demanding change. It's easy to sign a petition, but there is no clout to it without action. . .the voting, and the demonstrations. It's really time to say "enough is enough." Looks like the Japanese are wising up to that and scrapping future plans for more nuclear energy, in exchange for renewable energy. The entire world needs to pay attention!

In my experience, petitions don't do very much. At least in democratic countries, what matters is VOTING. To be sure that representatives in government are just that, REPRESENTATIVE of the people. Political movements do work, but what seems to work effectively is DEMONSTRATIONS. Actual people in the streets, demanding change. It's easy to sign a petition, but there is no clout to it without action. . .the voting, and the demonstrations. It's really time to say "enough is enough."

Agree, Autumn. ...

A couple of updates, some good news and a lot of bad news:

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...-nuclear-reactors-safe-we-may-neve/blog/34960

European nuclear watchdogs have agreed details of safety checks on the EU's reactors to prevent crises like that in Japan, but they will not include tests for resisting terror attacks, the European Commission said.

More at link.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...-soaking-up-radiation-along-fukush/blog/34979

Two week’s ago we released preliminary results from our marine radiation monitoring work off the coast of Japan, near the melted-down and leaking Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. These results showed worrying levels of radioactive contamination in seaweed – a staple of the Japanese diet.

More at link.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...eltdown-two-months-later-japans-go/blog/34807

In the latest in its ongoing series of late-night announcements, TEPCO this week finally admitted that the core of Fukushima’s reactor 1 started melting a mere five hours after the March 11 earthquake, and reached full meltdown within 16 hours.

The power company also confirmed that it was the earthquake, and not just the tsunami that initiated the series of failures leading to the reactor core meltdown.

More at link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/japan-nuclear-plant-more-meltdowns

It said the fuel rods in the reactors 2 and 3 had started melting two to three days after the earthquake and tsunami, which knocked out vital cooling systems.

More at link. And yes, they LIED.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/05/switzerland-votes-phase-out-nuclear-power/38136/

On Wednesday, the Swiss government voted in favor of eventually phasing out nuclear energy. The key word, it seems, is eventually: sometime between 2019 to 2040.

Whenever the current nuclear facilities are scheduled to shut down, the Swiss won't build new ones and will instead rely on "alternative" solutions.

More at link.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/186a4d98-8864-11e0-a1c3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1NZlWu0z4

The seven oldest of Germany’s 17 nuclear power stations will not go back into operation when a three-month safety review finishes in June, the country’s federal and state environment ministers agreed on Friday.

More at link.

Things are changing, but not enough and not fast enough.

Milka;3394907 said:
A couple of updates, some good news and a lot of bad news:

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...-nuclear-reactors-safe-we-may-neve/blog/34960

European nuclear watchdogs have agreed details of safety checks on the EU's reactors to prevent crises like that in Japan, but they will not include tests for resisting terror attacks, the European Commission said.

More at link.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...-soaking-up-radiation-along-fukush/blog/34979

Two week’s ago we released preliminary results from our marine radiation monitoring work off the coast of Japan, near the melted-down and leaking Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. These results showed worrying levels of radioactive contamination in seaweed – a staple of the Japanese diet.

More at link.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...eltdown-two-months-later-japans-go/blog/34807

In the latest in its ongoing series of late-night announcements, TEPCO this week finally admitted that the core of Fukushima’s reactor 1 started melting a mere five hours after the March 11 earthquake, and reached full meltdown within 16 hours.

The power company also confirmed that it was the earthquake, and not just the tsunami that initiated the series of failures leading to the reactor core meltdown.

More at link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/japan-nuclear-plant-more-meltdowns

It said the fuel rods in the reactors 2 and 3 had started melting two to three days after the earthquake and tsunami, which knocked out vital cooling systems.

More at link. And yes, they LIED.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/05/switzerland-votes-phase-out-nuclear-power/38136/

On Wednesday, the Swiss government voted in favor of eventually phasing out nuclear energy. The key word, it seems, is eventually: sometime between 2019 to 2040.

Whenever the current nuclear facilities are scheduled to shut down, the Swiss won't build new ones and will instead rely on "alternative" solutions.

More at link.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/186a4d98-8864-11e0-a1c3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1NZlWu0z4

The seven oldest of Germany’s 17 nuclear power stations will not go back into operation when a three-month safety review finishes in June, the country’s federal and state environment ministers agreed on Friday.

More at link.

Things are changing, but not enough and not fast enough.

:(

Here in my country, the Ttv news no longer speak of Japan I hope things start to go fast there. More prayers... :angel:

This is insane:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/n...radioactive-water-trapped-at-Japan-nuke-plant

Over 100,000 tons of radioactive water trapped at Japan nuke plant

Jun 3, 2011, 8:17 GMT

Tokyo - More than 100,000 tons of highly radioactive water remained at a damaged nuclear plant in north-eastern Japan, the operator said Friday.

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), which runs the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, said the contaminated water might overflow if the area has another downpour during the rainy season.

The plant was crippled by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami and has leaked radioactive substances ever since. The operator has continued to inject water to cool overheating reactors.

The operator said 16,200 tons of water has been trapped at reactor 1, 24,600 tons at reactor 2, 28,100 tons at reactor 3 and 22,900 tons at reactor 4. It added another 13,300 tons has already transferred to a waste storage facility.

The 105,100 tons of water contains an estimated 720,000 terabecquerels of radioactive substances, which is equivalent to about 3 million times the permissible level per year of radioactive substances leaking from the plant.

The operator said it plans to start a water purification system on June 15 that can filter 1,200 tons of tainted water a day. It will also install a basement storage tank in mid-August, which can hold 100,000 tons of highly radioactive water.

TEPCO said that if part of the water is moved to storage facilities, it is not expected to leak into the ocean at least until June 20.

The operator also said it had already sealed tunnels, pipelines and other channels to keep the contaminated water from leaking into the ocean.

The March earthquake and tsunami left more than 15,300 dead and about 8,300 missing. The nuclear crisis forced about 87,000 residents to evacuate from the areas near the plant.

Thank you so much for the updates Milka. They are very much appreciated:flowers:

Thank you so much for the updates Milka. They are very much appreciated:flowers:

You are welcome, ilmjj. There is not much on the news about it anymore, but I still try to find updates. We can't allow ourselves to forget, the area around Fukushima (who knows how large the area will turn out to be "in the end", once they stop lying) will be uninhabitable for hundreds and thousands of years, a lot of people will get very sick over the next decades, more than we'll ever hear about, they probably won't link it all to Fukushima.

Alma and Ashtanga, it's a nightmare indeed. Tschernobyl could have wiped out half of Europe (I posted about that in this thread, they kept that secrect for 20 years), now 3 meltdowns in Fukushima, and there are still countries that want to build new nuclear power plants. We don't need them, only 13 % of the world's energy comes from nuclear power plants, and yet they can kill millions in the blink of an eye.

You are welcome, ilmjj. There is not much on the news about it anymore, but I still try to find updates. We can't allow ourselves to forget, the area around Fukushima (who knows how large the area will turn out to be "in the end", once they stop lying) will be uninhabitable for hundreds and thousands of years, a lot of people will get very sick over the next decades, more than we'll ever hear about, they probably won't link it all to Fukushima.

Alma and Ashtanga, it's a nightmare indeed. Tschernobyl could have wiped out half of Europe (I posted about that in this thread, they kept that secrect for 20 years), now 3 meltdowns in Fukushima, and there are still countries that want to build new nuclear power plants. We don't need them, only 13 % of the world's energy comes from nuclear power plants, and yet they can kill millions in the blink of an eye.

): This almost eerily reminds me of suicide bombers in a way... Wth, how can you want to even suggest building new nuclear plants when they're this dangerous, much, immensely more than they could ever prove to be useful for our electric power costs and things? This is beyond me and suddenly I no longer feel among the 'crazies' who can truly see just how real, thus thick and inhumane this depopulation agenda actually is. It is. Why can't the media at least properly inform the masses about these living hells? The Chernobyl devastation ruined too many lives to be counted, mutilated the survivers and got them all sorts of cancers, including to one of the heroes of Chernobyl, a photoreporter called Igor Costin of Romanian origin, thanks to whom the truth about that catastrophy had come to light somehow, although the Soviet Union fought long an hard against it. ... We need more people like that...

What if the Fukushima tragedies prove to be even more devastating for people worldwide than through Chernobyl .. or at least as bad?... What then?

): This almost eerily reminds me of suicide bombers in a way... Wth, how can you want to even suggest building new nuclear plants when they're this dangerous, much, immensely more than they could ever prove to be useful for our electric power costs and things? This is beyond me and suddenly I no longer feel among the 'crazies' who can truly see just how real, thus thick and inhumane this depopulation agenda actually is. It is. Why can't the media at least properly inform the masses about these living hells? The Chernobyl devastation ruined too many lives to be counted, mutilated the survivers and got them all sorts of cancers, including to one of the heroes of Chernobyl, a photoreporter called Igor Costin of Romanian origin, thanks to whom the truth about that catastrophy had come to light somehow, although the Soviet Union fought long an hard against it. ... We need more people like that...

What if the Fukushima tragedies prove to be even more devastating for people worldwide than through Chernobyl .. or at least as bad?... What then?

I'm sure it's worse than Tschernobyl (sorry for me always spelling it that way, but that's how it is burned in my mind forever) with 3 meltdowns.

And then there is the fact that nuclear power plants make people sick, at least the people living nearby and the people working there - see childhood leukemia clusters around nuclear power plants - try explaining to these children why we need those killing machines.

:(

Nuclear plant = death

We really do not need power plants anywhere on the planet. For me, Fukushima accident may very well be compared with the Chernobyl accident. The severity and the damage are the same for both. I really hope that Japan can recover and I really hope that the authorities are striving hard for it.

I live in Japan and I swear with my finger cross, what happens in Fukushima reactors are the worst than ever.
Chernobyl has immediately closed but Fukushima reactors were damaged fatally and still contaminating our planet.
I'm sorry that TEPCO and our government both are so stupid. They are keep lying and hiding something important about.

Last edited:
This is totally flying erratic... None of the TV news channels bring up Fukushima anymore, I've noticed, at least from what I've seen so far. ...

Just imagine how a catastrophe worse than Chernobyl is and how many victims it'll continue to make - don't want to imagine it - and how they could drop like flies. And the saying going 'C'est la vie' should be considered an unshakable truth in such instances? No. It's stupidity and ignorance and the false feeling of being helpless without the governements's 'help' that's ruining even more lives. That earthquake and tsunami and numerous aftershocks were anything but natural, the Fukushima over-the-top destruction was and is anything but coincidence and nature rebelling itself. Yeah, don't care how grave these accusations are, it's HAARP who've contributed to this Japan destruction and some others, HAARP who's been created by humans, an actual small soulless elite, and compare that to the billions of us around the world and do the math: see how ridiculous this reality is, then one resignedly should say, if he still dares, that this is life.

I live in Japan and I swear with my finger cross, what happens in Fukushima reactors are the worst than ever.
Chernobyl has immediately closed but Fukushima reactors were damaged fatally and still contaminating our planet.
I'm sorry that TEPCO and our government both are so stupid. They are keep lying and hiding something important about.

Hi tontocomomo! All governments lie about nuclear power, these plants are not only killing machines, but also money machines, and the latter is all they care about ...

I hope you don't live near Fukushima.

There is also the problem of nuclear waste. Even without any accidents, there is nuclear waste that has to be stored somewhere for hundreds and thousands of years. They haven't found a safe way to store it (and never will), not even for a few decades. Nuclear waste storage facilities leak all the time. Future generations - for thousands of years - will have to deal with the waste and the danger. There is also the problem with labeling those facilities for future generations. They don't know how to label them, if someone stumbles upon them in 2,000 years, for them it'll be like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics. It won't be easy for them to understand what they dug out. It'll still be radioactive and they will be exposed and won't know for a while.

http://www.klimaatkeuze.nl/wise/monitor/478/4746

Japan: Waste Storage has leaked for many years

At the Tokai Low Level Waste storage site, about a thousand barrels of waste are rusting and leaking into a layer of water. After inspection in 1982(!) the PNC was ordered to remove the water, but only small measures were taken without resulting in stopping the leaks. They only recently admitted the existence of the 15-year-old problems after someone blew the whistle.

More at link. 1997 (!) article. We need more whistle-blowers.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4487831,00.html

Authorities find radioactive brine leak in German storage facility

Officials in the German state of Lower Saxony have detected trace amounts of radioactive material in the nuclear waste storage site at Asse. The facility has come under fire in the past.

German safety officials are again looking into the storage of radioactive material in the German state of Lower Saxony after finding that there has been a seepage of nuclear waste in the former salt mine storage facilities in Asse II.

Traces of tritium and cesium 137 were found in the old salt mine shaft where the nuclear waste is stored some 950 meters (3,117 feet) below the ground, officials said.

Measures to contain the leak and protect Asse staff were being taken and the levels of contamination found were below acceptable limits, according to Germany's Federal Office for Radiation Protection.

Rocky past

In 2008, Gabriel claimed that Asse II was the most problematic nuclear storage facility in Europe. The site dates back to the Cold War era and holds nearly 126,000 barrels of low to medium level nuclear waste.

While officials have a rough idea of what is stored there, there is still some uncertainty as to the exact contents of the site, because when the facility was first established, there was no regulatory process in place for storing nuclear waste.

These revelations come on top of the recent closure of the Kruemmel nuclear power plant in Hamburg after a transformer short circuit caused the plant to be automatically shut down. Further investigation in Kruemmel has shown an important safety sensor was not installed at the plant.

2 or 3 generations later they don't even know anymore what is stored there. How will people 50 or 100 generations from now know?

http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...ce-in-the-international-atomic-ene/blog/35120

No confidence in the International Atomic Energy Agency

Blogpost by Justin - June 3, 2011 at 11:12 9 comments

The United Nation’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspected the carnage at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant last week. Take a look at this photograph of their representative.

http://www.asianweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/unit3-ooh-aah-iaea.jpg

Take a look at their plastic suits with IAEA hastily sprayed on the back in paint or scrawled on with marker pen. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it?

The IAEA was at Fukushima to assess the situation at the disaster site in its role as the global nuclear watchdog and regulator. The problem is that that’s not the organisations only role. The IAEA is a four-headed beast.

Firstly, the IAEA needs to guard against the spreading of nuclear weapons – among others by overseeing that no nuclear material from the nuclear industry is diverted for military use. You remember probably their missions to Iraq and Iran.

Secondly, the IAEA draws up nuclear safety standards. These are used as benchmarks in virtually all nuclear countries. In the European Union they are even enshrined in law.

Thirdly, it controls research on health issues surrounding radiation that should then feed into its safety standards.

Fourthly, it promotes nuclear power. According to the statutes of the agency, the objective of the IAEA is to ‘accelerate and enlarge the contribution of atomic energy’.

Can you begin to see the conflicts of interest here? An organisation charged with promoting nuclear power around the world also controls nuclear safety and health standards. It’s like expecting a tobacco company to prevent lung cancer.

And it gets worse. The IAEA holds a veto over World Health Organization (WHO) programs related to radiation and nuclear power. This has undermined WHO’s ability to respond properly to disasters like the one at Fukushima. The IAEA has vetoed WHO conferences on radiation and health. Independent research has been under-funded and critical scientists ostracized.

Through the dominance of the IAEA and the nuclear industry, the health effects of radiation have been misrepresented and underestimated. As a result, the WHO is unable to provide independent advice and assessments of nuclear accidents in order to protect people at risk.

Which brings us back to Fukushima. The IAEA might like to think it is independent but it is far from it. The way it communicates its message is designed to serve the interests of the nuclear industry and governments not people’s health or the environment. In the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster, the IAEA channelled all its information through the Japanese government who could then, if it chose, to delay or downplay it.

Thus we got things like the venting of radioactive steam on March 13 that caused much of the iodine contamination being described as a much safer sounding ‘controlled release of vapour’.

Furthermore, at no stage has the IAEA given any recommendations or analysis of the Fukushima situation. It failed to issue any kind of warning on the likely amounts of radiation released from the overheating reactors or the overly optimistic assessments provided by the Japanese government in the early days of the crisis.

The latest proof of its happy-clappy outlook on Fukushima can be found in the UK nuclear regulator Michael Weightman-led IAEA mission to the destroyed reactors.

The Japanese Government’s longer term response to protect the public,including evacuation, has been impressive and extremely well organized.

What? The village of Iitate close to Fukushima was only evacuated weeks after Greenpeace had found far over-limit levels of radiation there. Schoolchildren were expected to withstand 20 times the International Commission of Radiological Protection's recommended radiation limit. Maybe Mr. Weightman hadn't had the time to follow the news about Fukushima in the last weeks and someone forgot to tell him about this during his trip to Japan.

But the conclusion of the mission report summary maybe beats it all:

The IAEA mission urges the international nuclear community to take advantage of the unique opportunity created by the Fukushima accident to seek to learn and improve worldwide nuclear safety.

Of course! Nuclear safety is in good hands. The Fukushima disaster was the cold shower needed to refresh nuclear safety culture.

It’s time the IAEA was reformed. It should remember that it serves the people of the world not the nuclear industry or governments with dirty and dangerous secrets to hide.

Thank you for the information Milka.
I just read there are plans to build a new powerplant in Florida,haven´t they heard what happened in Japan?
They want to build it on the florida panthers habitat, the panthers are at risk for disappearing and one reason for it is loss of habitat.
Now they want to take more land.
It´s all about money

Hi MIST! Article from Feb. 2010:

http://www.france24.com/en/20100216-obama-announces-first-new-nuclear-power-plant-us-30-years

Obama announces first new nuclear power plant in US for 30 years

It's all the same BS about how it's so great and important for the environment. Depressing. I expected more from Obama, and definitely not that.

Millions are already fighting against it:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jun2011/2011-06-03-091.html

Fukushima Backlash: Millions Urge Congress to Defund Nuclear Loan Guarantees

WASHINGTON, DC, June 2, 2011 (ENS) - More than 180 organizations and small businesses representing millions of Americans are urging members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees to reject President Barack Obama's request for $36 billion more for the U.S. Title 17 nuclear loan program, and instead to end the program entirely.

The groups also noted that the American public is opposed to the program, and to new nuclear reactor construction generally. They cite a March 2011 poll conducted for the Civil Society Institute which found that 73 percent of the American people oppose federal loan guarantees for new nuclear reactors.

An April 2011 ABC News/Washington Post poll found that 64 percent oppose new reactor construction.

More at link. People don't want it.

MIST;3400559 said:
It´s all about money
Milka;3400526 said:
All governments lie about nuclear power, these plants are not only killing machines, but also money machines, and the latter is all they care about ...
Milka;3400596 said:
Hi MIST! Article from Feb. 2010:

http://www.france24.com/en/20100216-obama-announces-first-new-nuclear-power-plant-us-30-years

It's all the same BS about how it's so great and important for the environment. Depressing. I expected more from Obama, and definitely not that.

Millions are already fighting against it:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jun2011/2011-06-03-091.html

:agree:

Unfortunately it's the hard truth. Why more nuclear plants? We do not need them! :( *big sigh*

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...level-higher-than-chernobyl-evacuation-limits

Fukushima Mama – Protest 20msv/year Radiation Level - Higher Than Chernobyl Evacuation Limits

A mother of five children in Fukushima founded Citizen’s Network called ‘Radiological Protection for Our Children Fukushima Network’ visited Sapporo and gave us her lecture yesterday June 5. What has been happening in Fukushima could be in Sapporo as we have Tomari Nuclear Plant some 80km away from here. To fight against radioactivity is the battle with unseen FEAR, she says, while nature in Fukushima is in the most beautiful season of flowers and young green leaves.

The mom, Ms. Sachiko Sato told us what happened starting right after the 311 earthquake and Fukushima Nuclear Plant’s cripple was the community falling-down. The people who had been against Nuclear Power Plant and aware the immediate danger quickly evacuated to safer places in a few days. But those were minority including Sato family. Most of the Fukushima people are staying except 20 km area evacuees.

US government、when Fukushima Plant crippled, urged their(US) people within 80km to evacuate (even in Tokyo) , but Japanese Government’s evacuation plan was only for those within 20km (20-30km residents to stay inside house). Yet the radioactivity won’t spread in accordance with the 20-30km circles of course.

New school year started in April. Ministry of Education advised schools in Fukushima that 20msv/year is the level that children can go out from the class room to play in the school ground. The level of 20 msv/year seemed coming from the ICRP recommendation of March 21 ( I have previously reported on this ) But this 20 msv/year is quite high level for children. Adults workers commissioned to radioactive environment are limited exposing 100msv/5 years.

May 2, Ms. Sato and the group went to Tokyo to negotiate with Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare to lower the limit of 20msv/year (the video attached) for their children, handing out the soil scraped from a school ground which displayed on the radioactive counter some 30 micro sv/hour. On May 23rd, the same group went to Ministry of Education to urge altering the high maximum level of 20 msv/year lowering down to 1msv/year. Finally on May 27, the Ministry announced that they would aim to reduce the figure of 1msv/year in the school yard: shaving the ground to lower the radiation so that children can play outside. This is only school ground. What about the route from their house to school? Or other parks and streets? In other words, the whole area?

Now according to a new report filed by the science ministry and U.S. Department of Energy, the radiation-contaminated area spans 800 square km, which uses the same level of contamination (555,000 becquerels or higher of cesium-137) that was used to issue compulsory evacuation orders in the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986. In some other calculation, it is roughly same as 5 msv/year…

Source http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201105110159.html

To judge from this figure of 5 msv/year, some 300,000 children in Fukushima area should immediately evacuate from there just as they did during the World War Ⅱ fleeing from air attack by school with teachers. Ministry of Education should arrange the school evacuation operation accordingly with relative local governments in Japan to receive kids from Fukushima. If this could not be done, they should be relocated at least during the summer vacation. Citizen’s groups in Sapporo have started such, just as receiving children from Chernobyl every year during the summer.

Milka;3401341 said:
http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...level-higher-than-chernobyl-evacuation-limits

Now according to a new report filed by the science ministry and U.S. Department of Energy, the radiation-contaminated area spans 800 square km, which uses the same level of contamination (555,000 becquerels or higher of cesium-137) that was used to issue compulsory evacuation orders in the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986. In some other calculation, it is roughly same as 5 msv/year…

Source http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201105110159.html

To judge from this figure of 5 msv/year, some 300,000 children in Fukushima area should immediately evacuate from there just as they did during the World War Ⅱ fleeing from air attack by school with teachers. Ministry of Education should arrange the school evacuation operation accordingly with relative local governments in Japan to receive kids from Fukushima. If this could not be done, they should be relocated at least during the summer vacation. Citizen’s groups in Sapporo have started such, just as receiving children from Chernobyl every year during the summer.

What a tragedy.... It's so unbelievable that all this is happening. :(

Hi tontocomomo! All governments lie about nuclear power, these plants are not only killing machines, but also money machines, and the latter is all they care about ...

I hope you don't live near Fukushima.

There is also the problem of nuclear waste. Even without any accidents, there is nuclear waste that has to be stored somewhere for hundreds and thousands of years. They haven't found a safe way to store it (and never will), not even for a few decades. Nuclear waste storage facilities leak all the time. Future generations - for thousands of years - will have to deal with the waste and the danger. There is also the problem with labeling those facilities for future generations. They don't know how to label them, if someone stumbles upon them in 2,000 years, for them it'll be like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics. It won't be easy for them to understand what they dug out. It'll still be radioactive and they will be exposed and won't know for a while.

http://www.klimaatkeuze.nl/wise/monitor/478/4746

More at link. 1997 (!) article. We need more whistle-blowers.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4487831,00.html

2 or 3 generations later they don't even know anymore what is stored there. How will people 50 or 100 generations from now know?

Hi Milka,
I've been against to nuclear power more than 15 years.

Some of the scientists begun to observe mice. Their breeding speed is much faster then human being's and easy to check congenital anomaly from generation to generation.

My house is located 120 miles away from the Fukushima plants, and it's not enough to live in safe.
But there are 54 nuclear plants in our small country and I'm afraid, there's no safe place to live in Japan.
I'm concern for younger generation, children & babies, they are our future.
Must be protected from radioactivities.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...expansion-plans-carry-great-safety-risk-costs

TVA's nuclear expansion plans carry great safety risk, costs

Japan has three reactors at Fukushima in a state of meltdown, pouring radiation into the air and ocean.Fort Calhoun, a nuclear power plant in Nebraska, was flooded by the Missouri River earlier this month and has experienced loss of power for the cooling of fuel rods. Three reactors at Browns Ferry narrowly missed an F5 tornado and lost outside sources of power for weeks.

You would think that these warnings would be enough for sane people to back off from production of new nuclear reactors. But what is TVA doing? Completing one new reactor at Watts Bar; getting ready to launch a $7 billion plan to build new reactors at Bellefonte and to take an old reactor there out of mothballs and spruce it up to go; contracting with Babcock & Wilcox to purchase four new mini-reactors for East Tennessee.

And all this is going to be done by TVA, an institution with billions in debt. Who do you think will pay for all these new nukes? Taxpayers and ratepayers. Does their CEO, Tom Kilgore, think we are all stupid? Tell him we’re not. Please go to http://write2tva.blogspot.com and sign the petition.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-disaster-michio-kaku-_n_882166.html?ir=Green

Fukushima Nuclear Plant Remains 'Ticking Time Bomb' After Japan Disaster: Michio Kaku, Theoretical Physicist

Though global fears about radiation emissions from the heavily damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility have calmed in the weeks since Japan's devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami, famed physicist Michio Kaku insists the situation remains a "ticking time bomb."

A professor of theoretical physics at the City University of New York and the City College of New York, Kaku discussed some recent revelations about the disaster's impact, and noted that Japanese officials still don't yet have control at the site. "In the last two weeks, everything we knew about that accident has been turned upside down," Kaku says. "Now we know it was 100 percent core melt in all three reactors...now we know it was comparable to the radiation at Chernobyl."

Among Kaku's other distressing notes: Fukushima workers are exposed to a year's dose of radiation within minutes of entering the site, and cleanup will take between 50 to 100 years. "It's like hanging by your fingernails," he says. "It's stable, but you're hanging by your fingernails."

Give your grandchildren and great-grandchildren something to remember you by - build nuclear power plants! :doh:

I wonder how this one is coming along? My GOD, will this ever END?

Nebraska Nuclear Plant at Level 4, 3, 2, 1 Emergency

http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2011/06/nebraska-nuclear-plant-at-level-4-disaster/

June 14, 2011
By Tom Burnett
The Fort Calhoun, Nebraska, Nuclear power plant is going down fast due to massive flooding.
The Omaha Public Power District has declared a Notification of Unusual Event (NOUE).
The FAA has issued the following directive, shutting down airspace over the plant:
FDC 1/6523 ZMP FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS FORT CALHOUN NUCLEAR POWER PLANT BLAIR,NE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(3) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR FLOOD RELIEF EFFORTS WITHIN A 2 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 413113N/0960438W OR THE OMAHA /OVR/ VORTAC 316 DEGREE RADIAL AT 26.1 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 3500 FEET MSL. NEBRASKA STATE PATROL, LT. FRANK PECK TELEPHONE 402-450-1867 IS IN CHARGE OF THE OPERATION. MINNEAPOLIS /ZMP/ ARTCC TELEPHONE 651-463-5580 IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY.

• Location: Ft. Calhoun, NE (19 miles N of Omaha, NE) in Region IV
  • Operator: Omaha Public Power District
  • Operating License: Issued – 08/09/1973
  • Renewed License: Issued – 11/04/2003
  • License Expires: 08/09/2033
  • Docket Number: 05000285
  • Reactor Type: Pressurized Water Reactor
  • Electrical Output: 500 MWe
  • Reactor Vendor/Type: Combustion Engineering
  • Containment Type: Dry, Ambient Pressure

This is a HUGE problem in the U.S. right now, and there has been a virtual news-blackout.

@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/26/nebraska.flooding/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Flood berm bursts at Nebraska nuclear plant

By the CNN Wire Staff
June 26, 2011 10:36 p.m. EDT
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

(CNN) -- A water-filled berm protecting a nuclear power plant in Nebraska from rising floodwaters collapsed Sunday, according to a spokesman, who said the plant remains secure.

Some sort of machinery came in contact with the berm, puncturing it and causing the berm to deflate, said Mike Jones, a spokesman for the Omaha Public Power District (OPPD), which owns the Fort Calhoun plant.

The plant, located about 20 miles north of Omaha, has been shut since April for refueling.

"The plant is still protected. This was an additional, a secondary, level of protection that we had put up," Jones said. "The plant remains protected to the level it would have been if the aqua berm had not been added."

Parts of the grounds are already under water as the swollen Missouri River overflows its banks, including areas around some auxiliary buildings, Jones said.
In addition to the berm, authorities have put in place floodgates and other barriers to help protect the facility, like sandbags.

The 8-foot-tall, water-filled berm, 16 feet wide at its base, surrounded the reactor containment structure and auxiliary buildings, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

"We built the plant up high enough based on history, based on the flooding in the past. If the flood would rise for some reason above that level we have taken precautions, again, per our procedures to sandbag the important equipment for the reactors," said Dave Van Der Kamp, with the Nebraska Public Power District.
He said the chances of floodwater getting into the building where the core is kept are almost zero.

The plant is designed to withstand waters up to 1,014 feet above mean sea level, according to the OPPD. The river currently stands at 1,006.3 feet and is not expected to exceed 1,008 feet, the OPPD said.

Heavy rainfall in Montana and North Dakota, combined with melting snow from the Rocky Mountains, have sent the Missouri surging downstream this summer. The river washed over and punched through levees in nearby northwestern Missouri, spurring authorities to urge about 250 nearby residents to leave their homes.
The 6 to 12 inches of rainfall in the upper Missouri basin in the past few weeks is nearly a normal year's worth, and runoff from the mountain snowpack is 140% of normal, according to forecasters.

It was catastrophic flooding from Japan's March 11 tsunami that knocked out cooling systems at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, resulting in three reactors melting down and producing the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. This year's Midwestern flooding has also led to a spate of rumors about the Fort Calhoun plant that OPPD and the NRC have been trying to knock down.

The utility has set up a "flood rumor control" page to reassure the public that there has been no release of radioactivity from the plant. An electrical fire June 7 did knock out cooling to its spent fuel storage pool for about 90 minutes, but the coolant water did not reach a boiling point before backup pumps went into service, it has said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/06/28/shareholders-not-protesters-blast-tepco-managers/

Shareholders, Not Protesters, Blast Tepco Managers

Troubled utility Tokyo Electric Power Co. secured the presence of hundreds of riot police as a precaution against rowdy demonstrators rallying outside of an upscale Tokyo hotel where the company’s annual shareholder meeting took place Tuesday morning.

But instead of brawls in the street, it was inside the plush surroundings that disorder erupted with angry shareholders blowing their top in the most hotly anticipated shareholder meeting of the year.

In a meeting that lasted a record six hours, shareholders denounced Tepco executives over the fumbled handling of the nuclear crisis that has crushed the value of the stock. And when one heated investor was given his turn in front of the microphone during a question and answer session, he had to be restrained by four security guards as he shouted down the 17 executives on stage. “The only way you can take responsibility,” he cried, “is to jump into a reactor and die!”

While others didn’t require physical restraint, criticisms continued to flood the meeting hall.

Another shareholder struggled to stifle her tears while demanding that Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata submit to an unscheduled vote of confidence in his future stewardship of the company. “If you really felt responsible, you wouldn’t be able to be a chairman today!” Mr. Katsumata took a show of hands, and after concluding that the majority wanted him to continue, proceeded to take the next question.

Another investor, waving an umbrella wildly to catch the chairman’s attention, said: “The executives should sell all of their assets until they are just above welfare eligibility.” Unruffled, Mr. Katsumata stuck to the task manfully as he continued to answer shareholder questions for the remainder of the meeting.

Meanwhile, dozens of demonstrators outside exhibited a relative calm. Those who labored in the morning heat and humidity wanted Tepco to take responsibility for the radiation leak at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Haruka Takita, a 33 year-old cram-school teacher from Koriyama, Fukushima, said she woke up at 4 a.m. to get to Tokyo from Fukushima. “They (Tepco) took away our children’s right to grow up in a clean environment,” she said, “the aspirations of our young adults, and everything that our elders created.”

Yui Kimura, a 59-year-old Tokyoite, is a member of a group of 370 shareholders who have been motioning Tepco to abandon nuclear energy every year after the reactor internal pump in Fukushima Daiichi’s third reactor broke in 1989. Ms. Kimura said that about 10 group members gathered in Tokyo to distribute anti-nuclear energy fliers.

“I don’t want the company (Tepco) to fold,” said Ms. Kimura. “I chose to invest in Tepco because it is stable. I want other shareholders to know that Tepco shares will be more stable if Tepco abandons nuclear energy.”

Back