Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

IAEA press conference in Vienna in about 40 minutes.

(in case there will be a live broadcast on TV)

4:30 pm Vienna time
11:30 am New York Time
8:30 am Los Angeles Time
0:30 am (Thursday) in Japan

I don't think this is being televised where I am (East Coast, U.S.) Is there a link? How about in English?

I don't think this is being televised where I am (East Coast, U.S.) Is there a link? How about in English?

I can't find a stream. I don't know why they don't broadcast this live, at least over here.

PoP, that's a beaufiful drawing!

I'm not really up to date with what has been said in this topic, so I apologize if I'm posting things that have been shared already.

Posted 6 min ago:

The International Atomic Energy Agency has confirmed that the reactors 1 and 3 are damaged in the core. The situation is considered as being "very serious".

Something different:

Today, Japan already suffered 41 aftershocks.

Here you can find a "Japan Quake Map". It shows how many aftershocks/quakes they had since friday, March 11, including the exact magnitude, place and time.

Last edited:
The new official death toll has risen to 4277.
8606 people are missing.
Officially, 2882 people are injured.

The plan to deposit sea water out of a helicopter to cool down the reactors has been given up because the radiation level was too high/dangerous.

The International Atomic Energy Agency has now confirmed that four reactors are damaged to the core.

Today, it has already been confirmed that reactor number 1 is damaged for 70 percent and reactor number 2 for 33 percent.

Previously the damage to reactor 3 has also been confirmed. The level of damage to reactor 3 is not known for now.

Last edited:
IRSN press release, 2PM CET (5 hours ago)

Used fuel pools :

The Irsn has obtained information about the fuel in the suppression pools. The following is based on the hypothesis that the pools rhemselves are not damaged.

Pools of reactors 1 & 2 :
there is fuel in the pool, the water is not boiling.

Pools of reactor 3 :
The water in the pool is boiling. The fuel will be out of water in 7 days if water is not supplied efficiently.

Pool of reactor 4 :
the water in the pool is boiling. If water is not supplied efficiently, the fuel will be out of water in 4 days. According to JAIF , the fuel is "damaged" , which would confirm a leak.

Pool of reactor 5 :
tha water is heating (63° C), if not cooled, the water could start boiling in 6 days. The Irsn estimates that it is likely that the cooling will be efficiently restored.

Comment : If the water in the pools dry out, it will eventually lead to a meltdown of the fuel. If this happens, the radioactive emissions will be much higher than those observed until now.

Two fires broke out , and were supposedly quickly stopped. The origin of the fires are unknown. It appears that hydrogen produced by water radiolysis, coupled to the loss of ventilation, could explain the explosion in reactor 4, and could happen to the pools of the other reactors. It happens before a meltdown of the fuel.

Pool of reactor 6 :
this pool is cooled (60 ° C), with diesel power generators.

Main suppression pool of the site : there is no information about this pool.

Reactors :

reactor nr 1 :
according to Tepco, 70 % of the reactor is damaged. The shell is intact. The reactor is partially out of water, it is being cooled with sea water. Depressurisations are regularly done.

The Irsn examined the possible consequences of a breach in the tank : if it happened, it would probably very quickly cause damage to the shell, and would probably lead to higher radioactive emanations, with explosions. Water must absolutely be maintained in this reactor.

reactor nr 2 :
according to Tepco, 33% of the reactor is damaged. The reactor is under water, it is being cooled with sea water. The shell is damaged. This implies emanations into the invironment , that are not filtered.

The Irsn examined the possible consequences of a breach in the tank : if it happened, it would probably very quickly cause damage to the shell, and would probably lead to higher radioactive emanations, with explosions. Water must absolutely be maintained in this reactor.

reactor nr 3 :
according to Tepco, the reactor is partially damaged. The japanese government suspects the shell is damaged, due to a steam leak that is visible. The origin of this steam leak is unknown.

Reactor no 4 :
the building is damaged, the water in the pool is boiling. The building is damaged.

A caution. Do not eat any Japanese food products dated after March 11. That would include the obvious Ramen types of products, and the dried seaweed wrappers for sushi. But also, might be best not to eat ANY canned fish from after that date. The cans don't always include nation of origin because the fish might be caught in international waters, but still off the coast of Japan. That would include canned tuna and salmon, and any other preserved fish products from after that date. Also look at origin/date of tofu, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and any other primarily Japanese products. This is just a precaution, but I'm taking it seriously. . . and especially the canned fish.

Are there any "real" new news? The news today are quite frustrating and confusing. As if there wasn't anything to report for whatever reason. Just that the EU thinks that things in Fukushima are out of control. Doh! And that experts are saying meltdown can't be avoided with only 50 workers.

A minibus with water cannon just arrived at reactor 4.

Tepco hopes to cool the reactor by spraying water, they also hope it will lower the radiation level.

Edit: new update:

The water level in reactor number 5 is lowering as well, which means that the temperatures have risen more than TEPCO wants us to believe.

TEPCO has announced that the situation is being closely monitored to avoid further problems with the other reactors (read: explosion, fire, nuclear radiation peaks and partial melts).

Last edited:
A minibus with water cannon just arrived at reactor 4.

Tepco hopes to cool the reactor by spraying water, they also hope it will lower the radiation level.

Edit: new update:

The water level in reactor number 5 is lowering as well, which means that the temperatures have risen more than TEPCO wants us to believe.

TEPCO has announced that the situation is being closely monitored to avoid further problems with the other reactors (read: explosion, fire, nuclear radiation peaks and partial melts).

A mini bus? A MINI BUS???????? :bugeyed:timer:

I've done some research (don't have time to post links here right now, but it's not hard to find) that shows that tincture of iodine might be just as effective, but without the risks of the tablets. That's the old-fashioned "tincture of iodine antiseptic," which is a two percent iodine solution. it's painted on the skin (can find amounts online). It's poison, and is NOT to be ingested. It's a topical application, i.e. applied to the skin (of forearm, or stomach.)

I've read the same.

It's extremely likely that the news we are being given is vastly downplayed and not accurate, coming from the Japanese. I do believe that at this time of crisis, TEPCO and the Japanese government owe it to the people of Japan, and of the world, to TELL THE TRUTH, and tell it in a timely way.

Exactly, extremely likely unfortunately.

The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) publishes real time radiation data on their website http://www.bousai.ne.jp/eng/index.html (or you can find a map with the same data here http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=4870 ), but there is NO data provided for Fukushima or Miyagi (prefecture just to the north), they are "under survey" and have been for at least a day now, allegedly because of a malfunction of the monitoring posts there. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/16_16.html
(Incidentally, I'm watching NHK tv right now and they are just showing all sorts of graphs on Fukushima rad levels... wonder where the data comes from when their monitors are allegedly not working? I think they have the data, just not publishing it for some reason?)

Also, they are trying to mistify "millisieverts" and "microsieverts" as if it was extremely complicated rocket science - it's not. Very, very simple, Sievert (Sv) is the unit to measure radiation, 1 Sv = 1000 milli sievert (mSv), 1 milli sievert = 1000 micro sievert. When they talk about radiations they have measured they are talking milli sievert most of the time, but when they talk about unhealthy doses they give you micro amounts, so that it will sound very high.
Here's a chart for reference so that you can make sense if an amount is large or not: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7241/566ce7bd8e.jpg

IRSN press release, 2PM CET (5 hours ago)

Pool of reactor 4 :
the water in the pool is boiling. If water is not supplied efficiently, the fuel will be out of water in 4 days. According to JAIF , the fuel is "damaged" , which would confirm a leak.

Pool at No. 4. is out of water already per AFP and the chief of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission http://blogs.aljazeera.net/live/asia/disaster-japan-march-17-live-blog

earlier today steam at Fukushima No. 3 reactor was reported and there was talk of water injection with water cannons (water cannons?!)

there was also talk from TEPCO about bringing new generators and building a stable power system (about time), no further news about that though (but there were some lights at the plant at night so they seem to have some electricity)

some more headlines:
US military and citizens advised to stay 80km away from Fukushima and given iodine as a precaution, also flying spy plane to take a closer look
UK is advising citizens north of Tokyo to evacuate, Russia evacuating diplomats on Friday.

NHK tv interviewed people in evacuation shelters and the people keep saying they feel betrayed because the government told them the plant would be safe and if they had known it could blow up they wouldn't have allowed it. They are also complaining about getting conflicting orders on what to do and where to move.
here's an article about that:
People in Fukushima are also angry about the lack of information
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12763273)
If anyone wants to watch NHK tv there's a stream at http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

ETA: to delete earlier webcam link, it may be a fake, sorry.
TEPCO has a webcam too, but at the moment it is dark.
http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index-j.html

Last edited:
I doubt government will ever tell the truth about how serious this really is...the truth will come out years from now...:(

I doubt government will ever tell the truth about how serious this really is...the truth will come out years from now...:(

I doubt we'll ever hear the full truth. Maybe in 500 years when there are no nuclear power plants anymore and historians are looking into the accidents and how they were handled and how much cover up was going on.

Another 28,000 people around Fukushima will be evacuated. Shelters in the area are already overcrowded, they'll be brought to surrounding prefactures.

Iodine tablets are sold out says the biggest manufacturer in the USA, Anbex. They said they got thousands of orders since the beginning of the crisis, mostly from the west coast of the US, but also Japan and South Korea and other Asian countries. They hope that they can provide again within 2 weeks.

Source: http://derstandard.at

Yes, I believe the Japanese government is omitting informations about the gravity of the problem for the Japanese population. Many things are happening away from the eyes of people. :(

I'll keep praying much for Japan. :angel: :pray:

Yesterday i decided to stop watching NHK World and CNN which I have been doing most of the day the past few days. I just couldn't take it anymore.. I feel so sad and terrible for the people there and on top of that there is no news yet wether my trip to Japan next month is gonna be cancelled or not and I'm so scared to go. It even gives me sleepless nights.

There are so many stories which all say different things... specially with those reactors..one says to not worry coz everything is under control and the other says we have to worry coz it can explode anytime which will be a total disaster with the radioactive stuff. etc. etc.

I keep on praying for Japan, thats all I can do.. I wish I could do more to help people there though.

My mum's friend was telling us bout that story that the japanese goverment is holding infomation bout the nuclear power plant and i dont think that is fair to the ppl of japan.

thank you for posting those charities Autumn...I hope people will donate...this is what people that want to help can do TO help...even if we cannot physically be in Japan..we can still help this way.

wikileaks leaked infos regard the nuclear plants in Japan. It hurts to know that since 2008, Japan has been warned. It really hurts. Casualties could have been avoided.

wikileaks leaked infos regard the nuclear plants in Japan. It hurts to know that since 2008, Japan has been warned. It really hurts. Casualties could have been avoided.

Yes, they COULD have been avoided in Japan. The same conditions still exist in other countries, including the U.S.. I will no longer even HEAR ABOUT how "nuclear is green energy." It is NOT. That same money that the U.S. president, Obama, has designated toward NEW nuclear power plant construction, could equally well be spent on truly "green" construction, of solar, and geo-thermal energies. If someone tells you, "nuclear energy is green and will prevent global warming," do NOT listen. There are other options. The destruction in Japan should be a wake-up call, and if it is not, we have learned absolutely nothing from the suffering of the Japanese people.

I will no longer even HEAR ABOUT how "nuclear is green energy." It is NOT. TIf someone tells you, "nuclear energy is green and will prevent global warming"[/B]

Are you kidding me. Nuclear is green energy?!?!? There no such a thing. Don't tell me that people fall for that?!?! There is no such thing as clean coal, either. Only because they throw word green doesn't mean it is. Come on, people.

The worst part is that: public is really not informed about nuclear reactor consequences, and casualties.
Regard USA, I am afraid, lobby is running the government, not other way around. What happened in Japan, can happened to any country that has nuclear reactors.

Green word has been misused so many times, that is loosing its meaning. I think they use the word as a bait.

Are you kidding me. Nuclear is green energy?!?!? There no such a thing. Don't tell me that people fall for that?!?! There is no such thing as clean coal, either. Only because they throw word green doesn't mean it is. Come on, people.

The worst part is that: public is really not informed about nuclear reactor consequences, and casualties.
Regard USA, I am afraid, lobby is running the government, not other way around. What happened in Japan, can happened to any country that has nuclear reactors.

Green word has been misused so many times, that is loosing its meaning. I think they use the word as a bait.

"Green energy" is the current PR for nuclear energy. Please, to not settle for that, when there are other options. This is a tragedy for Japan, but also a learning opportunity for everyone. I hope we TAKE that opportunity, to honor the Japanese people, and all of us. .. .

I will no longer even HEAR ABOUT how "nuclear is green energy."

I've never heard anybody say it's "green". Just that it's "safe". Big difference there, they choose their words carefully. They continue to say that, of course, the companies running/building them, politicians in a lot of countries. They sit there, in front of a TV camera, with all the pictures you see on TV right now before and after their little press conferences or interviews, and they tell you how safe it is. Money hungry, power hungry cynics. That's what you have to be if you want to be a politician. Go to Fukushima, look the people right in the eye and tell them "nuclear power is safe". See if they agree.

I heard a lot about Russia too, have to find a link, do not remember the details, I heard so much in the last couple of days, it's hard to remember everything. But they have countless nuclear power plants and are building and planning many many more. And then there is Putin with a straight face sitting there saying that it's SAFE. And that they will be SAFE. Latest technology, they will be SAFE.

Why don't all the politicians who tell us that go to Japan right now and visit Fukushima I and stay there for a couple of days? Maybe send the workers home, they deserve to go home, and do their work for them? If it's so safe, why not do that?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9LVUFBO0.htm

"Russia, Belarus sign $9 billion nuclear plant deal"

Russia will build a $9.4 billion nuclear power plant for Belarus, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday.

Putin oversaw the signing of a deal in Minsk that foresees a two-block facility coming fully online by 2018, and said a contract would be hammered over the next month to provide at least $6 billion of the total required in loans.

Yes, that's right, they signed that 2 days ago, in the middle of everything that's going on right now. Humans really must be evolution's one way street. Somebody give them a Darwin Award.

Back