PEPSI NOT RE-RELEASING MJs COMMERCIALS

ok, well, I missed that era, so I don't understand what it means culturally. I grew up the era where Pepsi and Coke are killing us and our environment :)
We didn't all love those cola adverts. Some of us thought they were naff. But I can understand the concerns people have if Madonna's ads and Britney's ads are being brought back and Michael's are not.

I think once everyone who saw MJ in his prime/during his life is dead is when it'll be known for sure if he's "canceled". Too many people, who think they knew him and have a stake in him because they saw him, took him for granted while he was here. We're still too close to this. He wouldn't even be deceased yet in good conditions. And they might treat him like an icon, or he'd be completely overtaken by the "reappraisal" crew. But it'd be the same generations influenced by the same generations concurrent to him.

lol, what?

So if we were to do some research, we’d find that MJ is the only celebrity whose Pepsi commercial wasn’t brought back?
Listen you are so high up your tower I need a ladder every time to have a word with you so I’m gonna leave it at that. In time you will all realize that I was right.

Please quote me if it eventually turns out I’m wrong, it would bring me the greatest pleasure to be wrong about this.

Yes and no. He's cancelled by big corporations who want to appease to general audiences and unfortunately MJ and his music are territory they don't want to go at just incase they get attacked by anti-MJ people who believe he was a p*dophile. But 24 million monthly listeners 13 years after his death, and after LN and the trial in '05 would indicate that he is not as cancelled as you'd think with general audiences. If he was full on cancelled (like we saw in 2019-2020) Beyonce wouldn't have numerous tributes to him in her global tour, the Weeknd wouldn't be performing Dirty Diana, celebrities and people wouldn't wear shirts with his face on it, LeBron James posted a video of him listening to heartbreak hotel, etc... Yes, he's cancelled to big companies unfortunately, but not to everyone; and I think with the biopic on the horizon as well as the rising popularity in his music again - that this won't be the reality for too much longer (or at least thats my take on it, I could just be feeding into my own delusions).

that said, I am of the belief that if the LN trio (not using their names but you know who im talking about) get their way and are able to broadcast the trial like they want and then the director gets the ability to make another doc about the 05' trial like he wants, that we'll be right back where we were in 2019 but much worse.

Your last paragraph holds the truth. LN isn’t over yet, the grand finale is waiting and it will be pretty devastating for all of us and when that happens you won’t see your Beyoncé’s or LeBron’s supporting Michael anymore. If MJ was a chair I’d say by now he would be a chair with only 3 legs left, one more disaster and it is over. It is very close.

Yes and no. He's cancelled by big corporations who want to appease to general audiences and unfortunately MJ and his music are territory they don't want to go at just incase they get attacked by anti-MJ people who believe he was a p*dophile. But 24 million monthly listeners 13 years after his death, and after LN and the trial in '05 would indicate that he is not as cancelled as you'd think with general audiences. If he was full on cancelled (like we saw in 2019-2020) Beyonce wouldn't have numerous tributes to him in her global tour, the Weeknd wouldn't be performing Dirty Diana, celebrities and people wouldn't wear shirts with his face on it, LeBron James posted a video of him listening to heartbreak hotel, etc... Yes, he's cancelled to big companies unfortunately, but not to everyone; and I think with the biopic on the horizon as well as the rising popularity in his music again - that this won't be the reality for too much longer (or at least thats my take on it, I could just be feeding into my own delusions).

that said, I am of the belief that if the LN trio (not using their names but you know who im talking about) get their way and are able to broadcast the trial like they want and then the director gets the ability to make another doc about the 05' trial like he wants, that we'll be right back where we were in 2019 but much worse.
So true, I think that is very fair to say.

You can see both sides of the coin. He has been cancelled by big companies as you said, but his music and appeal still makes people want him.

Michael Jackson as a superstar is simply too irresistible to cancel. He was too good a singer, dancer, songwriter and incredible performer.

To think this was a man who had two abuse allegations against him and so much bad press, yet he could still sell out the o2 arena 50 times (and more)

He has never been found guilty. Therefore the fans need to believe that he's innocent and enjoy his amazing legendary talent.

Your last paragraph holds the truth. LN isn’t over yet, the grand finale is waiting and it will be pretty devastating for all of us and when that happens you won’t see your Beyoncé’s or LeBron’s supporting Michael anymore. If MJ was a chair I’d say by now he would be a chair with only 3 legs left, one more disaster and it is over. It is very close.
That's my biggest fear, so far we've been pretty lucky with this crap but if this trial goes against MJ it could be the 'proof' or 'confirmation' that people need to think a certain way about him.

You can just tell that the tabloids will be itching at the bit to label him a pa*do if Robson and Co get a victory.

The whole meToo moment has shifted things (and rightly so) where the 'victim' finally has their day.

That's my biggest fear, so far we've been pretty lucky with this crap but if this trial goes against MJ it could be the 'proof' or 'confirmation' that people need to think a certain way about him.

You can just tell that the tabloids will be itching at the bit to label him a pa*do if Robson and Co get a victory.
There are UK journalists who already use the 'p' word when writing about Michael. They don't put in any caveats, they just use it quite brazenly. They believe it.

Once this trial goes South for Michael we all as fans will be in a difficult position. Now we still have the freedom of our opinion but it won’t last if he loses the trial. There will be pressure on us to denounce our fandom for Michael by colleges, family and friends. It’s just a boiling pot waiting to spill.
You can bet your house on it not a single DJ will continue playing MJ when Robson and co win.

I’m sorry for the doom and gloom but I think it is important to point out that it is looking dire as hell. We should all be aware that in a year time or whenever this trial continues things could look very very different.

We should all be aware that in a year time or whenever this trial continues things could look very very different.
We are aware. We're just trying to enjoy the time right now already. Seems there's nowhere we can go without being persecuted about it.

I think you need to just take a break from online already.

Last edited:
Wow, there's so much I don't understand.

Firstly, I don't understand what it means to "re-release a commercial". Can't you just go to YouTube or something? Like, most people go out of their way to avoid exposure to silly and annoying commercials.

Secondly, I don't think I'll ever understand why this makes people upset.

They'll definitely bring up MJ the next time they decide the latest new pop star is suddenly the new "King of Pop". There's nothing canceled about MJ, just agendas and betrayals. They use his name however they can. American Media is not and has not been MJs friends, if every other countries follows, same difference.

Oh man...

It's not that those users & fans arguing your narrative are saying that his legacy wasn't hurt!
He stands strong and unwavering DESPITE those unfortunate blemishes!
A poster for wembley.. man I never heard of something more unimportant & a more ridiculous argument regarding MJ's legacy and accomplishments.. Those can't be taken away!!
Make a reality check and take a look at what's happening in the real world..
The Wembley poster comes up because while yes, it is a small thing, the small things do add up. Any compilation/retrospective thing where Michael is left out is... troublesome.
I'm not surprised. Especially since James Safechuck is in one of them, just imagine the backlash of that.
I actually forgot he was even in one. Though they could have very easily used any other ones they had (i.e. The Chase, or the Victory Tour concert one).
Or maybe it's just as simple as the Estate not signing off on the use of the commercial. Honestly, the negativity in this FAN forum is disgusting!
I really hope that's all it is. Assuming that's a thing with any company and the commercials they make with their branding.

The whole meToo moment has shifted things (and rightly so) where the 'victim' finally has their day.
This is my fear as well. For a good chunk of people, it could be "close enough". There's a chance even long-time defenders and friends could be swayed, and then that will just leave the most loyal of fans, who of course will be painted as crazy people in denial.

I wish the MeToo movement never fucking happened. It shouldn't have fucking happened. We need to invent time travel or find a path to alternate timelines/universes already. I know I'm talking batshit crazy talk but goddammit I can't stand this anymore. I fucking hate this timeline and I hate everyone who contributed to this awful narrative.

Secondly, I don't think I'll ever understand why this makes people upset.
This is still super ignorant. You're on a Michael Jackson forum for what purpose? To talk about Michael Jackson. Why? Because you obviously like to. That or you're another dissident hater. But that's not likely.

The only reason people like to is we enjoy solidarity. We like sharing the interests don't we? That means in other occasions. In other places, on other platforms.

So why wouldn't we be at least a little bothered being deprived a chance to enjoy, reminiscence, and share that, especially with someone who might start to look into MJ more.

That's what happens when MJ is excluded from Webley Posters, downplaying or skipping past his iconic performances, and the commercials, that highlighted the power of his brand. It's just that simple. It's not a huge deal, these Pepsi ones aren't, but it certainly makes some already fragile people feel more so.

The worst part about that documentary is it really is effective and made quite a few people shaky about MJ. That's too bad. He didn't do gross things, and he never had gross intentions. People literally twisted what he said, and that was enough to make some shaky people feel bad. And give the haters leverage. I'm ranting a little, but I'm done now.

MJ had trouble finding corporate sponsorship since 1993, he had trouble finding it for the HIStory tour, so really this is nothing new
Near I can remember, he had none. Since 1993, I've seen him in Jeep and a couple credit card commercials, what else?

Selling off parts of the stakes of the catalogue was supposed to lessen that damage.

I wish the MeToo movement never fucking happened. It shouldn't have fucking happened. We need to invent time travel or find a path to alternate timelines/universes already. I know I'm talking batshit crazy talk but goddammit I can't stand this anymore. I fucking hate this timeline and I hate everyone who contributed to this awful narrative.
MeToo was important, the problem is that we are forced to believe every accuser. People (especially the once in the public eye) are afraid of expressing their doubts do to cancellation etc. and the world seem to have forgotten the existence of greed and liars. It's all so undemocratic.

Companies like Coke and Pepsi don’t ad any value to an artist. I believe it’s quite the opposite nowadays so the fact that they don’t include MJ is even a good thing in my eyes.

MeToo was important, the problem is that we are forced to believe every accuser. People (especially the once in the public eye) are afraid of expressing their doubts do to cancellation etc. and the world seem to have forgotten the existence of greed and liars. It's all so undemocratic.
That's true and I think the time will come when it will change again. Where is the sense when anyone can come and accuse someone.

I'm in the camp that finds this quite revealing in terms of MJ's perception to the wider public in 2023. Pepsi and Michael Jackson was such a huge part of the 80s and clearly their biggest ever endorsement. This new development is apparently acting as a celebration of the music icons Pepsi has partnered with over the years, and Michael is completely absent without explanation. That doesn't seem right somehow. There are even articles pointing out that he's not there. Yes, Michael in his lifetime struggled to find large corporations to partner with, but post-mortem they were lining up. Pepsi themselves happily brought MJ back in the form of soda cans, commercials and large in-store promo campaigns on two separate occasions across multiple territories after 2009.

If the Estate didn't sign off on this, staying silent (as they always do) simply invites journalists and the public to make their own deductions and those will almost all be entirely negative. So what that achieves I'll never know.

But this is a post I've been considering making for quite some time now anyway. I questioned the need to do at all, but it seemed to me like if I'm feeling this way then surely other fans are too and that maybe makes it worthwhile. Of course, by posting it, I'll be opened up to the usual ridicule on here: why you being negative, why you being dramatic, who cares what you think, you don't need to announce your departure this isn't an airport etc etc. But the fact of the matter is, I've been present on Michael Jackson internet forums to some degree or another for over 20 years now. Almost 25. And I've been a Michael Jackson fan for much longer than that. And now, for the first time, I'm noticing a big shift in my feelings towards the whole Michael Jackson thing.

I have continued to pay such close attention to it all because there are some things that keep it going for me. Those things are celebrating him in new ways, blu-rays, deluxe box sets, new footage or restored footage, unreleased songs, in-progress and demo material. Really that's it. I'm not particularly interested in t-shirts, hoodies, tote bags, so-called immersive experiences on the other side of the world, or even a biopic or Broadway musical. I'm not interested in how much money the Estate makes. These aren't the things that drive me. I eagerly await things such as a Dangerous anniversary box set brimming with content, or a blu-ray that collects many of MJ's performances on TV and award shows. Lord knows I'm sick of watching Captain EO in such awful quality, or the Superbowl or anything like that (please don't point out that these cannot be released or improved upon in quality). It's these things I'm waiting for. I work a fairly decent job and I have a disposable income. I'd not hestitate to drop triple figures on these types of releases, I'm the prime audience for them. I, however, will not be spending triple figures on a This Is It anniversary box set that, when you dig into it, is devoid of content.

But this isn't a 'let's bash the Estate's choices' post. I've argued with AlwaysThere dozens of times over the years where he/she insists my expectations are unrealistic or even entitled. I've always disagreed. But that isn't the point of this post. The point of this post is that I actually think they might've finally lost me. And if I'm honest I've been feeling this way since Thriller 40. I did buy it, and I listened maybe three times or something. I enjoyed the couple of demos we got that I hadn't heard and very much enjoyed hearing the two new songs. But I left it feeling "is that it?" The biggest album in the history of music and that's it? Meanwhile I see fans of other artists lapping up massive anniversary released teeming with content and discs and things.

Shortly after the release of Thriller 40, some new tracks leaked online. I didn't listen to them. This was a first for me. I'd have gone to extreme lengths in the past to be among the first to hear a completely unheard leaked song...but now I was just like, nah leave it. I told myself that listening to leaked material just spoiled any potential for them to be released properly in the future but that's a painfully slow game to play. Tracks that leaked decades ago have still never seen the light of day in an official capacity. So why have I not listened, what's changed?

I want to be clear. My feelings about Michael have not changed. I love him dearly. He's been a central nucleus of my whole being for virtually my entire life. On his birthday there I went back and watched some stuff that I hadn't watched a lot - mostly in dreadful quality on YouTube. I toasted him and that was that. But I couldn't help but feel another occasion to really celebrate Michael had been missed. The 10th anniversary of his passing was skipped by any and all significant media outlets that would celebrate him. Other artists received theirs, Michael did not. His 65th birthday came and went and nobody batted an eyelid. Some American actress did a post on Insta and it sparked outrage from celebrities. The Estate spent an evening talking up the wonders of Karen Langford and Myles Frost. And again I'm left wondering, is that it?

And now we're heading into another trial and Dan Reed making a sequel. The Estate are mute, the Thriller doc is MIA and any chance they get they insist nothing new is coming except the biopic no one asked for, and still they find time to patronise fans en masse as if we're clueless and generally a pain in their asses.

I don't have confidence in this trial and like someone else mentioned, MJ's tattered and torn reputation is hanging on by all but a thread. Another devastating blow like Reed's sequel and a trial will be devastating. I'm not sure I have it in me to go another 5 years of attacking the Estate's lack of action/releases and defending Michael from these allegations (not to mention generally feeling awkward around people when the subject of MJ comes up and wondering should I keep quiet or speak).

Simply put, it's just not fun anymore. To bring it back on topic, seeing the Michael Jackson Pepsi ads and restored and an opportunity to celebrate him and what he did among his peers like Tina, Madonna and Ray, would've been joyful and positive. But again, denied.

This isn't some dramatic "my last post". I very rarely post anywhere now, except on my personal Twitter account now (and even that's rare for Michael-related activity as too often if you post something positive about Michael you will be publicy accused of denying victims when that person mines through all your past tweets related to Michael - an accusation I find quite devastating personally). I was a regular here until about 5 years ago when my differences with others on here simply became too great and people would wilfully misconstrue my posts. But I remained a silent observer for the most part. I think I look on into the future of my fandom with great uncertainty for the first time. I don't know how I will feel in a few months time, or a year down the line. But I know it looks bleak.

I continue to hope for redemption for Michael and the truth to finally come out. And I guess, I could always just play Thriller and Bad again.

Love to you all.

@ChrisC I won't quote your post my friend, but I understand and agree with everything. Nice to have you back on here, even if it's only briefly

I kind of want to go on the same lengthy posts about my feelings on it, but the reality of it is, I believe fully in my heart Michael was innocent and that's all that matters to me. I was raised to be strong enough in my convictions to have an opinion and believe in to the fullest.

"You can't hurt me, I found peace within myself"
Michael Jackson

- Beyonce
- Elton John
- Ray Charles
- Jennifer Lopez
- Christina Aguilera
- Cardi B
- David Bowie
- Janet Jackson
- Ricky Martin

etc etc etc etc all not included in this campaign.

Look at all those doom and gloom mega cancelled artists!!

Give it a rest!

I'm in the camp that finds this quite revealing in terms of MJ's perception to the wider public in 2023. Pepsi and Michael Jackson was such a huge part of the 80s and clearly their biggest ever endorsement. This new development is apparently acting as a celebration of the music icons Pepsi has partnered with over the years, and Michael is completely absent without explanation. That doesn't seem right somehow. There are even articles pointing out that he's not there. Yes, Michael in his lifetime struggled to find large corporations to partner with, but post-mortem they were lining up. Pepsi themselves happily brought MJ back in the form of soda cans, commercials and large in-store promo campaigns on two separate occasions across multiple territories after 2009.

If the Estate didn't sign off on this, staying silent (as they always do) simply invites journalists and the public to make their own deductions and those will almost all be entirely negative. So what that achieves I'll never know.

But this is a post I've been considering making for quite some time now anyway. I questioned the need to do at all, but it seemed to me like if I'm feeling this way then surely other fans are too and that maybe makes it worthwhile. Of course, by posting it, I'll be opened up to the usual ridicule on here: why you being negative, why you being dramatic, who cares what you think, you don't need to announce your departure this isn't an airport etc etc. But the fact of the matter is, I've been present on Michael Jackson internet forums to some degree or another for over 20 years now. Almost 25. And I've been a Michael Jackson fan for much longer than that. And now, for the first time, I'm noticing a big shift in my feelings towards the whole Michael Jackson thing.

I have continued to pay such close attention to it all because there are some things that keep it going for me. Those things are celebrating him in new ways, blu-rays, deluxe box sets, new footage or restored footage, unreleased songs, in-progress and demo material. Really that's it. I'm not particularly interested in t-shirts, hoodies, tote bags, so-called immersive experiences on the other side of the world, or even a biopic or Broadway musical. I'm not interested in how much money the Estate makes. These aren't the things that drive me. I eagerly await things such as a Dangerous anniversary box set brimming with content, or a blu-ray that collects many of MJ's performances on TV and award shows. Lord knows I'm sick of watching Captain EO in such awful quality, or the Superbowl or anything like that (please don't point out that these cannot be released or improved upon in quality). It's these things I'm waiting for. I work a fairly decent job and I have a disposable income. I'd not hestitate to drop triple figures on these types of releases, I'm the prime audience for them. I, however, will not be spending triple figures on a This Is It anniversary box set that, when you dig into it, is devoid of content.

But this isn't a 'let's bash the Estate's choices' post. I've argued with AlwaysThere dozens of times over the years where he/she insists my expectations are unrealistic or even entitled. I've always disagreed. But that isn't the point of this post. The point of this post is that I actually think they might've finally lost me. And if I'm honest I've been feeling this way since Thriller 40. I did buy it, and I listened maybe three times or something. I enjoyed the couple of demos we got that I hadn't heard and very much enjoyed hearing the two new songs. But I left it feeling "is that it?" The biggest album in the history of music and that's it? Meanwhile I see fans of other artists lapping up massive anniversary released teeming with content and discs and things.

Shortly after the release of Thriller 40, some new tracks leaked online. I didn't listen to them. This was a first for me. I'd have gone to extreme lengths in the past to be among the first to hear a completely unheard leaked song...but now I was just like, nah leave it. I told myself that listening to leaked material just spoiled any potential for them to be released properly in the future but that's a painfully slow game to play. Tracks that leaked decades ago have still never seen the light of day in an official capacity. So why have I not listened, what's changed?

I want to be clear. My feelings about Michael have not changed. I love him dearly. He's been a central nucleus of my whole being for virtually my entire life. On his birthday there I went back and watched some stuff that I hadn't watched a lot - mostly in dreadful quality on YouTube. I toasted him and that was that. But I couldn't help but feel another occasion to really celebrate Michael had been missed. The 10th anniversary of his passing was skipped by any and all significant media outlets that would celebrate him. Other artists received theirs, Michael did not. His 65th birthday came and went and nobody batted an eyelid. Some American actress did a post on Insta and it sparked outrage from celebrities. The Estate spent an evening talking up the wonders of Karen Langford and Myles Frost. And again I'm left wondering, is that it?

And now we're heading into another trial and Dan Reed making a sequel. The Estate are mute, the Thriller doc is MIA and any chance they get they insist nothing new is coming except the biopic no one asked for, and still they find time to patronise fans en masse as if we're clueless and generally a pain in their asses.

I don't have confidence in this trial and like someone else mentioned, MJ's tattered and torn reputation is hanging on by all but a thread. Another devastating blow like Reed's sequel and a trial will be devastating. I'm not sure I have it in me to go another 5 years of attacking the Estate's lack of action/releases and defending Michael from these allegations (not to mention generally feeling awkward around people when the subject of MJ comes up and wondering should I keep quiet or speak).

Simply put, it's just not fun anymore. To bring it back on topic, seeing the Michael Jackson Pepsi ads and restored and an opportunity to celebrate him and what he did among his peers like Tina, Madonna and Ray, would've been joyful and positive. But again, denied.

This isn't some dramatic "my last post". I very rarely post anywhere now, except on my personal Twitter account now (and even that's rare for Michael-related activity as too often if you post something positive about Michael you will be publicy accused of denying victims when that person mines through all your past tweets related to Michael - an accusation I find quite devastating personally). I was a regular here until about 5 years ago when my differences with others on here simply became too great and people would wilfully misconstrue my posts. But I remained a silent observer for the most part. I think I look on into the future of my fandom with great uncertainty for the first time. I don't know how I will feel in a few months time, or a year down the line. But I know it looks bleak.

I continue to hope for redemption for Michael and the truth to finally come out. And I guess, I could always just play Thriller and Bad again.

Love to you all.
Thank you for posting this. So much of it resonates with me.

Don't know why everyone's crying about it.

Beyonce isn't featured in this either.

Where's the BS navel gazing over her omission?
I agree with you most of the time mate, but I think people are saying it's on broader scale, they're using this Pepsi thing as an example. I think the Wembley stuff would be a stronger case personally.

I couldn't care less about this Pepsi stuff in all honesty, but it's more towards the public's gradual disassociation towards Michael.

I agree with you most of the time mate, but I think people are saying it's on broader scale, they're using this Pepsi thing as an example. I think the Wembley stuff would be a stronger case personally.

I couldn't care less about this Pepsi stuff in all honesty, but it's more towards the public's gradual disassociation towards Michael.
It’s not indicative of anything given how many other stars have been left off. Wembley left off a load of performers on that poster as well.

If MJ was such a non entity he wouldn’t have Funko Pops coming out what feels like weekly and they wouldn’t be making a film or musical about him.

The musical would’ve absolutely tanked.

Commercial vs public has always been MJs fight and it’s why MJ will always win. He connected with the people, not with the companies.

Rotten Tomatoes got exposed for faking scores just the other day. Who cares what these people do or think? The public are filling the musical, the public are filling the One theatre, the public are buying 1 million albums this year.

It’s not 2018 but that’s fine. MJ is still standing strong.

Back