Phyllis Hyman

DuranDuran

Proud Member
jS486D7cdmnn1MY.jpg

The history of modern soul music is unfortunately littered with stories of truly magnificent artists who spent much of their adult lives fighting personal demons while creating seminal music. Phyllis Hyman is, sadly, one of those stories. The Philadelphia native was a popular jazz club singer in New York when hot producer Norman Connors witnessed her show and pegged her to perform a cover of the Stylistics' "Betcha By Golly Wow" on his You Are My Starship album. Her emotive, jazzy stylings melded perfectly with Connors' production, and her stunning performance resulted in her being signed by Buddah Records for a 1977 self-titled solo debut.

Her first album was a moderate success, and included a very nice cover of the Spinners' "I Don't Want To Lose You." The next year Buddah merged into Arista Records and Hyman embarked on a series of albums that scored well in the emerging urban adult contemporary format, but with little crossover success. The material provided to her during this period was somewhat uneven, but on each album she demonstrated that she was developing into one of the finest soul vocalists in the world. And while she was not a "singles" artist, she recorded her share of memorable radio cuts, including "You Know How to Love Me," "Riding the Tiger," "Can't We Fall In Love Again" (with Michael Henderson), and the dramatic "Somewhere In My Lifetime" (produced by, of all people, Arista stablemate Barry Manilow). She also emerged as a fine concert performer, and became a headliner in multi-artist soul shows around the world.

Mutual dissatisfaction between Hyman and Arista led to her contract not being renewed in 1982. She instead spent her time guesting on other artists' albums and performing on stage. It would be four years before she would record again, going back home and signing with Gamble & Huff's Philadelphia International Records, a label known for the kind of lush production and strong material that appeared perfect for Hyman. The match worked beautifully out of the box. She scored immediately with her greatest album, 1987's Living All Alone, a wonderful collaboration with both Gamble & Huff and the great Thom Bell. The first single from that album was "Old Friend," a Thom Bell/Linda Creed piano ballad that was perhaps the year's most beautiful soul recording, and a cut that fit Hyman like a glove. It is truly an essential track for any soul ballad lover. The album's other highlight was the moody title song, a haunting Gamble & Huff masterpiece. Hyman then disappeared again from the radio, as PIR changed distribution agreements, resulting in a four year wait before the release of her Nick Martinelli-produced Prime of My Life and her biggest hit, "Don't Wanna Change the World."

Unfortunately as she reached age 40, while she was approaching her creative peak, Hyman was increasingly facing personal problems. Alcohol dependency, weight gain and the fear of losing her fashion model-like beauty haunted her, leading to more erratic behavior. Ultimately, her personal demons overcame her, and she committed suicide before a show in 1995, shocking her legions of fans. Later that year, a posthumous album, I Refuse To Be Lonely, her final work, clearly showed lyrically the problems she was facing in her final days, though at times displaying a hope that she could escape them. Another posthumous album of unreleased PIR cuts, Forever For You, was released in 1998 and in 2004 Expansion Records issued In Between the Heartaches, with rare tracks not found elsewhere (including the much talked about "Magic Mona").

As with many great artists, Hyman has become more appreciated posthumously. Though her popularity during her life was generally limited to soul and smooth jazz audiences, her influence on songstresses from Anita Baker to Tamia is evident, and her music has aged wonderfully, much of it sounding as engaging now as it did 20 years ago.

TIMELINE OF PHYLLIS HYMAN'S LIFE AND CAREER:

1949 (July 6): Phyllis Hyman is born the eldest of six in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and grows up in a predominantly black neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

Late 1960s: As a teen, Hyman forms a socially conscious girl group and the group performs around the Pennsylvania area.

1974: Hyman forms her own band, the PH Factor. That same year the band gets to appear in a cameo scene on the film "Lenny" about controversial comic Lenny Bruce.

1976: Hyman and her band move to New York and perform in the local NY nightclub scene. One night, Hyman is discovered by Norman Connors and agrees to do a recording on his album, "You Are My Starship". That year, Hyman releases one of the singles, a cover of the Stylistics' "Betcha By Golly Wow". Her unique cover of the song puts her on the R&B charts for the first time.

1977: Hyman signs with Buddah Records and releases her self-titled debut.

1979: Buddha is sold to Arista Records and Hyman becomes a member of the label's roster. That year, she releases two hit albums, Somewhere In My Lifetime and You Know How to Love Me, its title tracks each hitting number twelve on the R&B chart.

1981: Hyman joins the Broadway cast of "Sophisticated Ladies". That year, her duet with Michael Henderson, the ballad "Can't We Fall in Love Again", becomes Hyman's first top ten R&B hit.

1982: Hyman gets praise for her role in "Sophisticated Ladies" and is nominated for a Tony for Best Featured Actress in a Musical.

1984: Hyman is cut from Arista Records after a sporadic and tumultuous tenure.

1986: Hyman signs with Philadelphia International and releases the hit album, Living All Alone. The title track becomes an R&B smash and the second release, "Old Friend", becomes a hit also and is dedicated by Hyman to its late songwriter and best friend Linda Creed.

1988: Hyman performs a cameo in the Spike Lee film, "School Daze".

1991: Hyman releases The Prime of My Life and scores her first number-one hit with "Don't Wanna Change the World". Three successive follow-ups also become top ten R&B hits including "Living in Confusion" and "When You Get Right Down to It".

1993: Hyman's mother, grandmother and a best friend all die within months of each other sending Hyman to a deep depression by the following year. Increased weight, drug troubles and a broken hip lead to more problems for Hyman as she begins recording what would be her final album, I Refuse to Be Lonely.

1995 (June 30): A week before her 46th birthday, Hyman is found dead in her New York apartment while she was supposed to prepare for a scheduled headlining performance at the Apollo Theater with the Whispers. Hyman's death sends shockwaves throughout the R&B community. Several months later, PIR releases I Refuse to Be Lonely.

2008: TV-One airs an UNSUNG episode dedicated to Hyman.

It's a shame Phyllis Hyman didn't get the recognition she TRULY deserved. That woman could SANG and she was gorgeous. At 6ft tall and with that striking face, she was a fashion designer's dream.

It's a shame Phyllis Hyman didn't get the recognition she TRULY deserved. That woman could SANG and she was gorgeous. At 6ft tall and with that striking face, she was a fashion designer's dream.

Exactly. Her voice matched her physical traits: she truly was beautiful in and out. It's too bad she had so many demons tho. A tragic beauty. :(

appreciate this thread bigtime. She was intelligent and outspoken, too. All you gotta do is to listen to her interviews.

^^ "Intelligent and outspoken" are both understatements in Phyllis' case, she took no bullsh*t! :yes: :lol:
Haha I got it. I like that about her. Her personality matches her attitude as an artist. I guess she had a lot of difficulties doin her own thing...cuz she didn't wanna be packaged to sell and that's not exactly what executives want, esp. from gorgeous female artists like her.

When it comes to musical side, I love jazz influence in her music. Also, she's got that Jazz artists' vibe when she performs, meaning she changes up songs as she pleases and makes it look so easy.

^^ Yeah, I hope I'm not desecrating here but I believed Phyllis Hyman was OUR Billie Holiday in the R&B genre, I really do. Because both women were beautiful, sophisticated, sassy, vulnerable and self-destructive. Plus both had that ache in their vocals that made your tears drop.

one of the best talents ever. so underrated. "you know how to love Me", Betchy by golly wow!! what range and depth. she was a beautiful woman.

You're missing a few:

No One Can Love You More
Gonna Make Changes
The Answer Is You
When I Give My Love (This Time)
Under Your Spell
Living Inside Your Love
Be Careful How You Treat My Love
Betcha By Golly Wow

^^ Maxxx is speechless. She had too many great songs anyway. ^_^

"Loving You, Losing You", "No One Can Love You More" and "Living Inside Your Love" are my joints right now!

^^ Maxxx is speechless. She had too many great songs anyway. ^_^

"Loving You, Losing You", "No One Can Love You More" and "Living Inside Your Love" are my joints right now!
He does seem like that. Look at how he wrote, "Betcha By Golly Wow!!" He was saying "Wow" at the same time:D

Living Alone and What You Won't Do For Love cover are my joints for the moment.

You Know How To Love Me

The Lisa Stansfield remake is nice also.

She was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen and with such a powerful presence and voice.

One thing that bothered me about her death is, The media and industry didn't give her loss the just do it derserved. As I recall the year she committed suicide during awards ceremonies when they hornored who had passed on during that year by showing their pictures with somber music, Phyllis Hyman wasn't included. The audience began to shout out her name over the sound and on one show it last for several long minutes before they went to commercial.

Fans of her, felt jilted.

Yep! Troubleman, I agree. That was messed up! Big Time! I remember feeling so hurt by that, I also felt a little confused because I didn't know she had committed suicide, no one in the media or on the radio had said a thing. I was pissed off, I had to call a friend who lived hundreds of miles away to get the details.

She deserved so much better than that.

One thing that bothered me about her death is, The media and industry didn't give her loss the just do it derserved. As I recall the year she committed suicide during awards ceremonies when they hornored who had passed on during that year by showing their pictures with somber music, Phyllis Hyman wasn't included. The audience began to shout out her name over the sound and on one show it last for several long minutes before they went to commercial.
This is probably because she fought the system and was sort of blacklisted.

[youtube]Ptjj20KqPB8&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]9sDgOJ-F9hg&fmt=18[/youtube]

I listened to a lot of Phyllis' music when I was in college. ( as well as Angela Bofill)
I often got prasied and yelled at for singing along with her in my dorm room.
W/E. Lol!

So sad that whatever was bothering her led her to take her own life.

Back