Poll: What is Your Favorite Michael Jackson Decade as a Performer and Why?

What is your favorite Michael Jackson decade as a performer and why?

• Total voters
Re: Poll: What is your favorite Michael Jackson decade as a performer and why?

90's, I really love those Dangerous performances...

I'm in the minority but I think the 1970's is the most interesting period because of the evolution of his vocal range, tone and technics. He had the most amazing range and always a gentle touch. In the 80's it became somewhat more agressive, which was part of his style, and maybe someday I'll prefer that, but for now I'm more in the 70's period.

Voted 90`s cause of Dangerous and History but i love all of them :wub:

Too bad I can't choose both, but yeah 80's and 90's are by far my faves, although the late 70's are a guilty pleasure of mine as well, fro Mike ya'll :laugh:. In the 80/90's he was on top of his game, had so much going on and he was everywhere just wow. I would've loved to live during those eras. That's what made him The King. I think TII would've catapulted him to something close to that and I would have been there to see it, it's a shame it never happened. :weeping:

I like both the 80's and the 90's but the Bad era is my favorite so I had to vote for the 80's.

the 90's and 80's are the best, i chose the 90's because the dangerous and history album's are amazing, but you gotta love the bad era!!

The BAD era........

90's cos of Dangerous & HIStory............ :clap:

I'd say it's a tie between the 70's and 80's. both contained the most invention and evolution. not just as a singer and dancer, but overall expression and persona as a performer.

In his late teens, Michael developed his signature spin (my favourite!), modified previous hits to fit his new voice, and was more personable with the audience. he was happy-go-lucky and loose.

In the 80's he wasn't afraid to let his feelings show, whether it was through his angry facial expressions or gestures. it was more about tapping into the emotion of the song, being in the moment, and allowing the audience to come to him. Motown 25 is the perfect example of this.

short films were another medium that added a layer to his performance. he was now a solo artist and not a front man.

It's a tie for me (like many others) between the '70s and the '80s. It's interesting to see Michael's dancing develop into it's own style with all the jazz elements which later blossomed into his trademark style. He is just like magic when you watch him perform - he would have been a spectacle to watch in real life!

Of course, I was gonna vote for the 90's this pic says it all really ;)

mjpoll.jpg

:wub:

It was close but I chose the 90s. Why? Dangerous, Dangerous Tour, HIStory, HIStory Tour, Blood On The Dance Floor, music videos, Superbowl, awards, They Don't Care About Us,... need I go on?

Yes, this is why I also chose the nineties. Michael really came of age in the nineties - the "Dangerous" album is my favourite and I also really love the Dangerous and HIStory world tours....each for different reasons. Michael was everywhere...he was everything.....and what's more he survived the Chandler allegation and rose from it, like a Phoenix, to build his brand up, stronger than ever.

images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg

I think his best years were 1987, 1988, 1989 and 1992.

The 80's definitely.

I was born in the 70's so I grew up on Michael's 80's explosion - 1983 found me hiding behind the sofa to watch Thriller premiere on British TV (I was 8 and supposed to be in bed lol), I was hooked. I loved the music, the dancing, the zombies and him, he was gorgeous! He made me fall in love and I fell hard.

Heady days of saving all my pocket money for the singles cos' I had to get the cassettes, the 7" and the 12" versions, wearing my MJ t-shirts until they were in rags, pleading with my folks to take me to Wembley in 1988 and getting no-bloody-where because we were not well off enough for that - poo. Watching Moonwalker at the fleapit cinema in my hometown twice because why the hell wouldn't I? ;) . Plastering my room with posters from Smash hits, Athena, any darn where..

It was an exciting time to be a kid in the 80's - he was everywhere and he was larger than life. Honestly it really was magical, so for me defo the 80's.

Anyway look at him, what teenaged girl flooded with hormones had a defence against this?

6f2n3m.jpg

The 80s. I wasn't even alive then, lol. I love every era of Michael, but I love the Bad era the best and the Thriller era probably second best. His Bad tours were SO amazing (and I only know them from YouTube xD).

Definitely the 90s. We got dance routines for Jam, They Don’t Care About Us, Will You Be There and DANGEROUS. Also we got performances of Black or White. And we got those amazing ad libs for Man In The Mirror at Dangerous tour. I guess MJ was better vocally in the 70s & 80s but as an overall performer, he was at his peak in the early 90s so I’ve to go with the 90s as my favourite MJ decade as a performer.

Not sure why 10s & beyond was included.

See this is an interesting question because each decade was completely different from the rest. I voted for the 90's mostly because of the two world tours and dances he did in his videos as well as live performance. This is just my opinion but I think his widest range of dance style took place during this decade. We saw him doing military dances on both tours, saw him moonwalk farther than he ever did before, create theater with Dangerous, make us believe that Egyptians really dance like that (remember the time), and even got in some salsa with Blood on the Dance Floor. It was as if he was just always trying to do something completely and entirely different and at the same time being the best at it. It was incredible.

In my opinion whereas he had more energy in the 80's and he was coming out of his locking and popping of the 70s, to me it was as if he had too much energy at times. I think when he got into the 90s he was really able to find that balance of the perfect amount of energy, precision, and execution. Sometimes I'll watch clips from the 80s and think, "Wow if he slowed that down just a notch that move would have looked so good!"....that probably sounds worse than it is meant to haha. Then again, that energy of the 80s was electric and NO ONE could match it. So in the end it really comes down to preference as there is no wrong answer.

I do think that sometime around the History Tour that he had slowed down a bit too much but that precision was also at an all time high. I also understand that the "slowing down" was a natural thing to take place and I am no means complaining about it. The 00s were kind of like the History Tour as far as energy goes. It does make you wonder just what would have happened for This is It. I believe we would have gotten more of that History Tour/30th anniversary Michael...but man some of those clips showed a man taking you back a decade or two!

See this is an interesting question because each decade was completely different from the rest. I voted for the 90's mostly because of the two world tours and dances he did in his videos as well as live performance. This is just my opinion but I think his widest range of dance style took place during this decade. We saw him doing military dances on both tours, saw him moonwalk farther than he ever did before, create theater with Dangerous, make us believe that Egyptians really dance like that (remember the time), and even got in some salsa with Blood on the Dance Floor. It was as if he was just always trying to do something completely and entirely different and at the same time being the best at it. It was incredible.

In my opinion whereas he had more energy in the 80's and he was coming out of his locking and popping of the 70s, to me it was as if he had too much energy at times. I think when he got into the 90s he was really able to find that balance of the perfect amount of energy, precision, and execution. Sometimes I'll watch clips from the 80s and think, "Wow if he slowed that down just a notch that move would have looked so good!"....that probably sounds worse than it is meant to haha. Then again, that energy of the 80s was electric and NO ONE could match it. So in the end it really comes down to preference as there is no wrong answer.

I do think that sometime around the History Tour that he had slowed down a bit too much but that precision was also at an all time high. I also understand that the "slowing down" was a natural thing to take place and I am no means complaining about it. The 00s were kind of like the History Tour as far as energy goes. It does make you wonder just what would have happened for This is It. I believe we would have gotten more of that History Tour/30th anniversary Michael...but man some of those clips showed a man taking you back a decade or two!

I completely agree with you. A good example is Billie Jean from the Victory Tour. It was just waaay to fast for him to really execute and make his moves look clean and effortless.

1980s. It had Bad album and Bad Tour. His vocals, dancing and style were the best.

Last edited:
The Jacksons era tours are fun, Victory is the most perfect, Bad is the most perfect and energetic, Dangerous is the most interesting, HIStory is the most boring...so how can I choose? :-/

In my opinion whereas he had more energy in the 80's and he was coming out of his locking and popping of the 70s, to me it was as if he had too much energy at times. I think when he got into the 90s he was really able to find that balance of the perfect amount of energy, precision, and execution.

I completely agree with this, especially with the last sentence.

80's and 90's...

I love This Is It, but the was award goes to Dangerous. That was real Bad.

Sent from my Redmi Y2 using Tapatalk

Back