Producer Guitarist Bob Kulick on New Michael Jackson Tribute Metal Project

Yeah baby, eat s..t Gene Simmons :D

This must a a slap on Gene Simmons face (at least I hope Gene takes that way) as Bob played 3 of Kiss' album in the past, and now Bob is doing tribute to MJ :clapping:

Snippet from his interview with Metal rules:
Right and he do give a slightly different perspective to those songs. So “Sweeney Todd” and those songs, if you’re familiar with any of those songs, the attack mode of those songs totally works. It totally works. So he picked songs that all of that would, you know, he didn’t pick anything too wimpy. He basically just made them all heavier. Then after that, I’m starting to work the Michael Jackson tribute album thing, which I think is going to be really fun. We’re going to use mainly young, new metal singers for that album. So this is not the usual formula that I’ve usually used with the rest of tribute albums and it will be a challenge to get some of the newer guys to sing. They’re amazing songs. And again, any of the songs, “Beat It”, “Bad”, any of those songs that have built in riffs, played with some real heaviness there, tune down like we’re doing… It already sounds like it’s the Michael Jackson song, but it just sounds totally different because of the tune down. It sounds totally [growl].

Could you name any of the singers who will make it to the Michael Jackson tribute album?

We just started tracking. So I have nobody to name yet because in order to get anybody to sing any of these, they’re going to have to hear them first. I dare not call somebody and say, “So, you want to do a vocal on “Beat It” for us?” “What’s the track sound like? I’ll send it to you when I get it” No, the best thing to do is, “I heard the song, I want to sing”. Thank you, that’s all. So that’s what we do now. I don’t know if you guys are familiar with the Sinatra CD that we put out through Eagle Records. It was the same thing through that. It was very, very difficult to get people to volunteer to sing a Frank Sinatra song until they heard what we were doing. “Oh, you’re mangling them. You’re making them heavier. Oh, it’s like Frank would have never liked this. “Exactly” That’s what we did to them totally.

http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/2011/12/15/bob-kulick-producer-guitarist-part1/

Last edited:
Im very excited about this. :woohoo: Michael translates very well to Metal .:) Oct 22

*waits for the MJ purists to walk into the thread and spontaneously explode*

Seriously though, this could be quite a fun project.
I'm not into metal but would like to hear something interesting done with MJ's music.

DUG PINNICK IS DOING VOCALS ON THIS?!?!?!?

This is going to rule.

I am sorry I don't know who this is. How do we know Michael didn't like metal? I am only asking because I never heard him talk about it.

I like metal, but MJ didn't.

Source? Some of his songs have metal elements, such as Dirty Diana. I also know he liked Led Zeppelin and Nine Inch Nails, according to people who worked with him. Not quite metal, but based on that I'm not sure there is evidence of him not liking metal.

I like metal, but MJ didn't.

Not sure where this statement is coming from. Surely you're aware of the hard rock/metal influences all over Michael's later work. Not only in terms of guitar-based songs, but in terms of vocal style as well.

I normally dont like metal but would be interesting to hear mj in a metal type song

Bubs;3894305 said:
Yeah baby, eat s..t Gene Simmons :D

This must a a slap on Gene Simmons face (at least I hope Gene takes that way) as Bob played 3 of Kiss' album in the past, and now Bob is doing tribute to MJ :clapping:

Snippet from his interview with Metal rules:
Right and he do give a slightly different perspective to those songs. So “Sweeney Todd” and those songs, if you’re familiar with any of those songs, the attack mode of those songs totally works. It totally works. So he picked songs that all of that would, you know, he didn’t pick anything too wimpy. He basically just made them all heavier. Then after that, I’m starting to work the Michael Jackson tribute album thing, which I think is going to be really fun. We’re going to use mainly young, new metal singers for that album. So this is not the usual formula that I’ve usually used with the rest of tribute albums and it will be a challenge to get some of the newer guys to sing. They’re amazing songs. And again, any of the songs, “Beat It”, “Bad”, any of those songs that have built in riffs, played with some real heaviness there, tune down like we’re doing… It already sounds like it’s the Michael Jackson song, but it just sounds totally different because of the tune down. It sounds totally [growl].

Could you name any of the singers who will make it to the Michael Jackson tribute album?

We just started tracking. So I have nobody to name yet because in order to get anybody to sing any of these, they’re going to have to hear them first. I dare not call somebody and say, “So, you want to do a vocal on “Beat It” for us?” “What’s the track sound like? I’ll send it to you when I get it” No, the best thing to do is, “I heard the song, I want to sing”. Thank you, that’s all. So that’s what we do now. I don’t know if you guys are familiar with the Sinatra CD that we put out through Eagle Records. It was the same thing through that. It was very, very difficult to get people to volunteer to sing a Frank Sinatra song until they heard what we were doing. “Oh, you’re mangling them. You’re making them heavier. Oh, it’s like Frank would have never liked this. “Exactly” That’s what we did to them totally.

http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/2011/12/15/bob-kulick-producer-guitarist-part1/

He also says in this interview:

Just like what you did for the Beatles classics on BUTCHERING THE BEATLES –album?
Exactly like that but there’s only more because, with the Sinatra thing and with Dee Snider’s thing, I’ve written pieces of music. The Beatles to me were… they’re gods. I didn’t want to try to stuff a piece of music into it. I couldn’t do that. I was just… extending a solo or something, that’s one thing. But to actually write a piece of music to sit in front of it like I did on these other records, I wouldn’t have the balls to do that to the Beatles. Sinatra, I didn’t care. Some of the publishers of the Broadway show tunes actually have heard some of the songs and they were like, “I can’t believe what you did with these songs!” I’m like, “Okay, okay. That’s encouraging.” But you know, at least nobody’s screaming and running in the other direction yelling, “blasphemy!”

So he didn't write anything into the Beatles album, because the Beatles are too sacred to him, but he will write things to Michael's like he did to Sinatra's because "Sinatra, I didn't care"? Is that how he approaches Michael as well? I don't really like the sound of it.

Source? Some of his songs have metal elements, such as Dirty Diana. I also know he liked Led Zeppelin and Nine Inch Nails, according to people who worked with him. Not quite metal, but based on that I'm not sure there is evidence of him not liking metal.

No they don't. Dirty Diana was pop-rock at best and honestly to me it sounds more like a 'big rockstar' parody, with plenty of cliches in the lyrics and the video, none of which are in the spirit of metal, but rather in the spirit of glam-rock (ugh!).

Zeppelin were blues-rock and at times were hard-rock (at best), certainly not metal. And neither were NiN who are industrial/alternative-rock.

No they don't. Dirty Diana was pop-rock at best and honestly to me it sounds more like a 'big rockstar' parody, with plenty of cliches in the lyrics and the video, none of which are in the spirit of metal, but rather in the spirit of glam-rock (ugh!).

Zeppelin were blues-rock and at times were hard-rock (at best), certainly not metal. And neither were NiN who are industrial/alternative-rock.

I didn't say DD was a heavy metal song, as it obviously wasn't. I said it had "elements".

Led Zeppelin are considered the originators of metal, even though they are not quite as hard yet as metal became later on.

Nevertheless is there a proof that MJ hated metal? I'm not saying he loved it, but surely there must be a quote by him or something if fans are making statments that he hated it.

Last edited:
sounds interesting, might just check this out sometime!

I love meatal but knowing myself, I'll have problems with the vocals. No one sings Michael song like Michael Jackson himself.

I loved Metallica's heavier Beat It version at 1:22.

I also loved this tribute.

Michael's voice sounds so badass for metal. I wouldn't mind if they did something like this but since they're requesting singers to volunteer, I don't think it'd happen.

Ive listened to quite a few on youtube and really like these covers

Michael Jackson - Thriller (Metal Cover) by Ulrich Schadeck
http://youtu.be/sp53eeYbI9o

Description: Here's my cover of Thriller - Michael Jackson.
I consider Michael Jackson to be one of the greatest artists who ever lived. I grew up listening to him. Despite I'm a guitarist, he had a notable influence on the energy in my music, the way I look at arrangements and my sense of rhythm.

Thank you Michael for your legacy.

Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson - Cole Rolland [Metal Guitar Remix] HD
CRCanada
http://youtu.be/vm5Y8ZoGTLY

Hey guys! So here's my version of Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson :D I had so much fun making this cover and I'm so happy with how it turned out, hope you all enjoy!

Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson

91SFDRkC5xL._SL1500_.jpg

Just in time for Halloween - a KILLER THRILLER, the first ever all metal tribute to the King Of Pop, Michael Jackson, with an all-star line-up that will raise the dead!

Features outstanding performances by Chuck Billy (Testament), Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria), Elias Soriano (Nonpoint), Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust), Phil Campbell (Motörhead), Doug Pinnick (King s X), Chris Jericho (Fozzy) and more!

With the amps turned up to 11 and guitars tuned low, get ready to hear the darker side of such favorites as Billie Jean, Beat It, Rock With You, Black Or White and more!

Chuck Billy (Testament)
Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria)
Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big)
Angelo Moore (Fishbone)
Doug Aldrich
Rudy Sarzo
Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust)
Bruce Kulick (KISS)
Tony Franklin
Priya Panda (Diemonds)
Ron Bumblefoot Thal (Guns N Roses)
Corey Glover (Living Colour)
Phil Campbell (Motörhead)
Elias Soriano (Nonpoint)
Doug Pinnick (King s X)
Chris Jericho (Fozzy)
Paul Dianno (Iron Maiden)
Craig Goldy (Dio)
Lonnie Jordan (War) --Official Press Release

Product Description

1. Thriller - Chuck Billy (Testament)
2. Man In The Mirror - Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria) & Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big)
3. The Way You Make Me Feel - Angelo Moore (Fishbone), Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake), & Rudy Sarzo (Queensrÿche)
4. Black Or White - Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust), Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS), & Tony Franklin (The Firm)
5. Beat It - Priya Panda (Diemonds) & Ron Bumblefoot Thal (Guns N Roses)
6. Billy Jean - Corey Glover (Living Colour) & Phil Campbell (Motörhead)
7. Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) - Elias Soriano (Nonpoint)
8. Rock With You - Doug Pinnick (King s X)
9. Dirty Diana - Chris Jericho (Fozzy)
10. Bad - Paul Dianno (ex-Iron Maiden) & Craig Goldy (Dio)
11. They Don t Care About Us - Icarus Witch
12. Never Can Say Goodbye - Lonnie Jordan (War)
13. Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQK5NUW?

Whoa! Didn't realize Chris Jericho was a part of this project! Awesome.

Excited to hear Corey Glover's cover of Billie Jean and Doug Pinnick's cover of Rock With You.

Yay, I know most of the performers and musicians! I admit I was expecting Rock With You, Never Can Say Goodbye, Shake Your Body and Main In The Mirror.

I had the feeling Chris Jericho would be included in the project since he's a Michael fan. :D

I just hope that jerk Gene Simmons is not on it in any capacity. Gosh, they misspelled Billie Jean on the CD cover? And to be honest I don't like the fact the album is called Thriller - there is only one Thriller. But I'm interested to hear it.

Anyone seriously have a source saying MJ didn't like metal? I'd think with his vocals on Dirty Diana and how he chose the guitar version of Give In To Me over the simpler piano ersion he and Bill Botrell had (would love to hear that in 2016), I'd assume he'd like or at least appreciate metal. Think MJ liked most genres.

This is just one of those things I'll just have to wait and hear. I like a few metal MJ covers though usually other voices don't do it for me.

For anyone that wants metal MJ songs with his vocals still intact, YouTube user spierballs has Blood On the Dance Floor, Jam, They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song, and Leave Me Alone for download if you look him up.

I just hope that jerk Gene Simmons is not on it in any capacity. Gosh, they misspelled Billie Jean on the CD cover? And to be honest I don't like the fact the album is called Thriller - there is only one Thriller. But I'm interested to hear it.

I don't think so, Bob Kulick has nothing to do with KISS right now. More than a KISS member, he was a session guitarist for some of the band's albums, his younger brother Bruce was in fact a member.

I agree with Xtarligh, even the Yokohama BAD concert has that spelling mistaken when it appears Billie Jean on the tv screen.

I'd had prefered for the CD title "Michael Jackson Meets Metal" or something like that, there's only one Thriller, I agee.

Last edited:
Anyone seriously have a source saying MJ didn't like metal? I'd think with his vocals on Dirty Diana and how he chose the guitar version of Give In To Me over the simpler piano ersion he and Bill Botrell had (would love to hear that in 2016), I'd assume he'd like or at least appreciate metal. Think MJ liked most genres.

This is just one of those things I'll just have to wait and hear. I like a few metal MJ covers though usually other voices don't do it for me.

For anyone that wants metal MJ songs with his vocals still intact, YouTube user spierballs has Blood On the Dance Floor, Jam, They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song, and Leave Me Alone for download if you look him up.

The only context I remember MJ mentioning metal was when he talked about how MTV "played heavy metal 24/7" before Thriller - he said that in the 2007 Ebony interview. But that does not mean he hated metal, it just means he did not like the fact they ONLY (or mostly) played that kind of music while they refused to play R&B.

Back