Quincy Jones: Jackson friendship wasn't poisoned

I read the first sentence and just stop. What the freak is he talking about?! That man has lost it too.

I keep reading posts saying "well Q was a great musician," so what. No one is saying he is not a celebrity in his own field. The point is he has said some nasty uncalled for comments about Michael, which have a detrimental impact. Some of his statements he knows nothing about, like Michael's children. Even though Michael told him he had a skin condition and had some physical pains, he scoffed at Michael's words in one of his interviews, stating he did not believe him. He can write a book and give his point of view of what happened. People can believe it if they want to, but his statements in a book do not eradicate the unkind, incorrect, and nasty statements he has said about Michael recently. Now he forgave Michael for something after Michael died, and we will never know the truth about that story since Michael is no longer with us.

Mod Note

sorry guys but please refrain from the excessive derogatory name calling in the thread
there are way to contibute to the dicussion and voice you disaproval without all that.
Thanks for your cooperation - Carry on :)

I have to say seeing him with Prince, Paris and Blanket felt uncomfortable to me. Because of past statements.

I didn't believe he said them at first. The person who told was gleeful about it, said the fact that they came from Quincy made them truthful, and that Quincy was "real" and old school and tells it like it is, blah, blah, blah...
I argued back it was tabloid trash, that Quincy Jones would never make such comments about Michael, especially about his children.

It really was heartbreaking to learn he said them. Still is.

This is exactly why fans are so angry about him. No one is denying his contribution to the music industry. However, personal wise, he was just horrible. How can someone said all these terrible things about a person you once work so close and this person always thanked you for decades? The "those kids are way too white to be MJ's kids" is just unbelievable. He himself married white woman and had daughter just like Paris and he still made this kind of comments. All those things he said is really beyond me. It's not just ignorant when he had kids just as white as PPB. I am always shocked about how people did and said about Michael. I don't even know how he survive these crap all these years. I really admired MJ's strength.

WTF???!!!

QUINCY FORGIVES MICHAEL???

What did Michael ever do to Quincy? It's Quincy who was the bitter hater who spent 20 saying badmouthing Michael in a nasty personal way because MJ decided to go with Teddy Riley on his Dangerous album.

According to Wikipedia, if that is true or not, Quincy personally recommended Michael to work with Teddy Riley and Bill Bottrell for the Dangerous album when Michael decided to work with a new producer.

Michael don't need forgiveness from Quincy . He is really making a fool of himself.

I suppose this post clears out why Q forgives Michael:) Q thought that he'll be working with Michael after Bad, but MJ didn't want to work with him.

This interview is 5 pages long but I post only Michael part.
I burst out :hysterical: when I read that he didn't want Smooth Criminal on Bad album. If he had got his way, there wouldn't be Billie Jean or Smooth Criminal:bugeyed

Obviously, in some people's eyes, Quincy's career has been defined by his work with Michael Jackson. When Jackson decided to make his first proper solo album, there was one man whose advice he sought first. He had worked with Quincy on the film The Wiz, a remake of The Wizard Of Oz, and had started to put his trust in him. The two first met on the set on the day that Jackson had to rehearse a scene in which he read a Socrates quote. When the crew started stifling their laughs when he spoke - he pronounced it "Soh-crates", to rhyme with "low rates" - it was Quincy who whispered the correct pronuncia*tion in his ear. And when Jackson asked Quincy to recommend someone to produce his record, the producer naturally suggested himself.

They started making the record in earnest in LA, with Quincy indulging his young protégé, taking his ideas seriously, and making sure he was comfortable in the studio. He also sur*rounded him with experienced, non-confron*tational musicians, and offered Jackson hun*dreds of songs to choose from. Weirdly, their work ethics dovetailed almost perfectly. "Now I'm a pretty strong drill sergeant when it comes to steering a project," said Jones, "but in Michael's case it's hardly necessary."

When Off The Wall was eventually released, in August 1979, the extraordinary collection of songs - "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough", "She's Out Of My Life", the title track and Stevie Wonder's "I Can't Help It" - showed an entertainer coming of age, wrapped in the kind of sophisticated packaging (Jackson was wearing a tuxedo) that was automatically going to appeal to an older, wider demographic than before.

This wider demographic turned out to be a lot wider than either of them imagined, although the album's success was nothing compared with the success of its 1982 follow-up, Thriller, which would go on to become the bestselling album of all time, with sales esti*mated in excess of 65 million copies worldwide. Containing some of the most famous songs of the Eighties - "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" - the album still resonates, and was only recently re-released. These were the first "black" records to be played on MTV, being so successful that main*stream media couldn't afford to ignore them. (Perversely, Quincy initially didn't want to include the album's second single, "Billie Jean", on the record - not least because he thought some might think Jackson was singing about the tennis player Billie Jean King.)

They worked together on Thriller's successor, Bad, released in 1987, an inevitable disappoint*ment that still ended up selling more than 30 million units. Barbra Streisand was offered the album's big duet "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", but allegedly turned it down on account of the age gap between her and Jackson. Prince was also going to be involved at one point. After a first meeting, Prince said to Quincy, "This is going to be a hit with or without me, man."

By the time of 1991's Dangerous, Jackson had tired of Jones - foolishly, in many experts' opinions. In J Randy Taraborrelli's biography, Michael Jackson: The Magic & The Madness, he writes, "Michael no longer wanted to work with Quincy because he felt that the producer had become too possessive of him and his work, and had taken too much credit for it. Michael was still miffed that Quincy gave him a tough time about 'Smooth Criminal' - Quincy didn't want it on the Bad album. For Quincy's part, he felt that Michael had become too de*manding and inflexible. With emotions running so high, the partnership that had once sold mil*lions and millions of albums had soured. Still, Quincy figured he would work with Michael again. He was never informed otherwise."

Although they fell out, Quincy never stopped being in awe of Jackson's talent, his single-minded dedication to his craft. Initially, he couldn't believe Jackson's professionalism, his devotion to study (for instance he would watch tapes of gazelles and cheetahs and panthers to imitate their natural grace). In his autobiogra*phy, Quincy talks about Jackson's dedication at length: "At his place in Hayvenhurst, he used to have a mouthy parrot with a lot of attitude as well as a boa constrictor named Muscles. One day Muscles was missing. They looked all over the property, inside and out, and after two days they finally found him dangling from the parrot's cage, with the parrot's beak sticking out of his mouth. He'd swallowed that sucker whole and couldn't back his head out of the bars because he hadn't digested the bird yet. In a way, that's a metaphor for Michael's life after Thriller, because at a certain point, he couldn't get back out of the cage. It all became overwhelming for him."

Up in his Bel Air mansion, surrounded by the dozens of gold and silver discs celebrating his success with Jackson, Quincy was sanguine about his relationship with his former protégé. "You know, I always deal in forgiveness and I'd forgiven Michael a long time before he died. We did some amazing work together, produced some remarkable, special records, and you can never forget that. You shouldn't. I forgive people because I expect people to do the same with me. If you don't forgive then it's a poison, and it eats you up and takes hold of you. Me and Michael had some amazing times together, unforgettable times."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2012-03/21/quincy-jones-music-icon/page/4

Last edited:
Back