Quincy Jones: Jackson friendship wasn't poisoned

you know why MJ is still loved and always will be loved? because no matter how brilliant he was as far as i know he never had an ego! he NEVER bashed anyone and gave credit where it was due (even to Joe). that is what makes him forever. mr jones might be brilliant but his ego stans between his art and the people who might appreciate it. being humble takes you a long way

^Well...damn! O_O I guess that's how Q really is then, huh? Sad! He really thinks of himself as highly above the rest, doesn't he?! SMFH

Last edited:
Why is this a story again? How lame of him to even talk about this. :doh:

Quincy is peeved that mj left him behind for the dangerous album and wont let his jealously go

I think Quincy is bitter because MJ went off and had great success without him.

Also if you listen to the original demo's that MJ wrote himself for Off The Wall and Thriller there is very little difference between those and the finished version that ended up being on those albums. Quincy contributed a little but it was obvious that MJ's vision outweighed Quincy contribution

Just because Michael wanted to move on and try new things didn't mean he didn't respect or appreciate what Quincy did for him. I have heard him complain about other great artists he has worked with. It's like if they work with him they should only work with him. He has issues.

For me, what turned me off of Quincy wasn't that he downplayed Michael's brilliance or called him average. Everyone has the right to their opinion in that department even if I disagree.

What made me dislike Quincy is how he dissed Michael's kids, how Michael didn't like being black, despite the fact that he has married nothing but white women himself and have light-skinned kids. If it's one thing I hate, it's hypocrisy. Also, how he suggested that Michael liked white boys is creepy and he should know what people would think hearing a statement like that, especially coming from him.

Now, he 'forgives' Michael. Go tell him to shove it.

I don't get why he was invited to the handprint ceremony last week. If he doesn't respect Michael as a person then he should not be invited. There are other people that could have taken his place. Prince wrote an interesting tweet just before the event and it makes me wonder if he knows things that have been said. Yet he has to be polite to people because what are you going to do.

Bubs;3593307 said:
I'm too think he is good producer but that is it. As person he is egomaniac and bully.

This is what he said of Kanye, which he apologised later:
“How man? No way. Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a Jazz orchestra? Come on, man. He’s just a rapper. There’s no comparison. I’m not putting him down or making a judgment or anything, but we come from different sides of the planet. I spent 28 years learning my first skill. I don’t rap. It’s not the same thing. A producer has some sort of skills that enable him to be a producer. It’s totally different to know what to do with 16 woodwinds you know from piccolos down to bass clarinet. It’s a whole different mind set. No comparison. None.”

Never mind what each of us think of Kanye, but if that is not putting down someone, I don't know what is?
He is just one of those people that has to bring down someone in order to make himself look good.
Michael never said anything nasty to other musician as he felt there is no need for it and he respected them.
It's a pity that Quincy's personality doesn't match with his talent. Even in his Grauman speech he just couldn't help himself, he had to take a few shots at Michael :(

Anyone know if he ever apologise what he said about Michael or anything him being wrong?
Sad. So inhumane.

For me, what turned me off of Quincy wasn't that he downplayed Michael's brilliance or called him average. Everyone has the right to their opinion in that department even if I disagree.

If MJ was average, as Quincy claimed in an interviewed of his, then why the genius QJ who had worked with some of the most iconic names of music industry wanted to continue to work with an average person? OK, we believed him.

If MJ was average, as Quincy claimed in an interviewed of his, then why the genius QJ who had worked with some of the most iconic names of music industry wanted to continue to work with an average person? OK, we believed him.

I was just making a point that what isn't what really offended me.

As for Quincy's mindset, he most likely thinks he did Michael a favor. He took this 'average' singer and turned him into a superstar. He probably does believe in that twisted mind of his that Michael would had never achieved his fame in later years if it wasn't for his input.

I also don't believe Quincy's bitterness sterns from Michael leaving him after Bad. From my understanding, and Michael said as much himself, they both kind of got sick of each other and wanted to do something different. Going by Joe's book, Michael wasn't even really working with Quincy on Bad and they had two separate teams. Quincy also supported Michael back in 93 and had nothing but good things to say about him until the 2000s. I think the rift happened because Quincy is bitter that despite all his passed success most people only really knows him as Michael's production. You have to Google to know his other work. It's so bad that people barely knows he produce the Fresh Prince. He mostly feels it's all Michael's fault that he completely overshadowed him and his bitterness is something he can't hide anymore.

That doesn't excuse anything, but that's my take.

He sounds like the Jacksons then. Michael overshadowed them too. Jermaine should have been the star etc. When I hear that they should be ashamed of themselves. Michael was kind and caring and such a good person. He had no control over anything like that. How it is Michael's fault makes no sense to me. He calls Michael his "little brother" whatever.

Quincy didn't have to work with Michael. He wanted to. It just shows how many people turned their backs on Michael and now their support of him is hypocritical.

Like many others Quincy was a part of Michael's musical history and he did a good job. He was certainly not responsible for the huge success which was Michael's. Bottom line is that Michael became the megastar because of his own talent and musical genius.

I was just making a point that what isn't what really offended me.

As for Quincy's mindset, he most likely thinks he did Michael a favor. He took this 'average' singer and turned him into a superstar. He probably does believe in that twisted mind of his that Michael would had never achieved his fame in later years if it wasn't for his input.

I also don't believe Quincy's bitterness sterns from Michael leaving him after Bad. From my understanding, and Michael said as much himself, they both kind of got sick of each other and wanted to do something different. Going by Joe's book, Michael wasn't even really working with Quincy on Bad and they had two separate teams. Quincy also supported Michael back in 93 and had nothing but good things to say about him until the 2000s. I think the rift happened because Quincy is bitter that despite all his passed success most people only really knows him as Michael's production. You have to Google to know his other work. It's so bad that people barely knows he produce the Fresh Prince. He mostly feels it's all Michael's fault that he completely overshadowed him and his bitterness is something he can't hide anymore.

That doesn't excuse anything, but that's my take.

Quincy tried to make other "Michael Jacksons", such as Tevin Campbell and although they achieved temporary success, but they were nowhere near the phenomenon that Michael was. (Tevin was only successful in the US and only for a short period of time.) So Quincy should admit it's not just him who made Michael Jackson.

Also, while Quincy was a producer, but Michael was a songwriter - which cannot be said of many other acts Quincy produced. (Frank Sinatra, for one, whom Quincy called better than Michael in an interview, never wrote songs...) So Michael's creative input in his albums was bigger than most other Quincy acts's. Without Michael there would not be Billie Jean, Beat it, Don't stop til you get enough, Working day and night, Smooth Criminal, Wanna be startin somethin, We are the world, Dirty Diana and so on and so on. (Quincy only ever co-wrote one song on a Michael album - P.Y.T.)

So if Quincy really thinks he single-handedly made an "average" talent great, he should think again... Heck, if for Quincy we would not have Billie Jean! And that would be a crime!

Last edited:
Quincy is just delusional, and bitter. Talent wise Michael was on a league of his own; he was a genius. Any comparisons to Sinatra are laughable.

I never heard of the name Quincy Jones until he associated himself with MJ. I'm sure those in the music industry knew the name quite well, but I didn't.

Quincy is just delusional, and bitter. Talent wise Michael was on a league of his own; he was a genius. Any comparisons to Sinatra are laughable.

Sinatra said himself that MJ was better than him

Last edited:
I didn't know who quincy was unitl his work with Michael & fresh prince, i thought there was poison down to

q getting annoyed about Michael doing things like spending days working on the drums during the Bad sessions,
spending just as much time especially during Thriller on the dances moves as the recording, q didnt think Thriller would come close to selling as well as OTW something which really annoyed Michael.

i could be wrong here but he said it ended because q wanted to steer Michael towards hip hop and he refuse

Fred Astaire
I didn’t want to leave this world without knowing who my descendant was. Thank you Michael!

Frank Sinatra
The only male singer who I’ve seen besides myself and who’s better than me -- that is Michael Jackson.

Quincy Jones
I forgave Michael

What is embarrassing is that Q has his own prestige in his own right, but he cannot accept Michael's and is very bitter. I was looking at a 1960s movie a few Sundays ago and Q wrote the music for it, so he was known for his productions. I have no proof but I think part of the problem with Q is that Michael left and went on to do bigger things with varying degrees of success until his death. Michael did not fold as an artist after he left Q. In fact, Michael's talent was known since a child, so I do not understand why Q would say he was average and expect Michael's success to be due to him. I say move on Q and let's be a nicer person before death takes a hold.

Body Language

426543_335963919757393_100000313626162_1079795_1884729771_n.jpg

Ok so Quincy has said some weird stuff in the past couple of years which made me wonder why he would say that. I knew him and MJ had a fall out because of the direction Quincy wanted to go in and Michael didn't. So he choose to work with someone else on Dangerous. None of us know what really happened and what was really said. I don't even know if they still spoke t each other. But I don't think Michael spoke to a l ot of people from that period anymore. They worked together and then you move on.

I did take the effort to read Quincy's autobiography. And I have to say that it was a really interesting read. If you want to know a bit more about him then you have to read it. It takes you from his early childhood to his fame days with Michael and beyond. The book was written in the late '90's.

Have to admit that I did point my finger at Quincy when he said those awfull things. But reading his book and listening to more of his work did change my mind. He's a great musician, very talented and he did great things with Michael. I'd like to think that he got a bit bitter with age and maybe regretted not speaking to Michael more often in the past 10/15 years. He seems to be a man that doesn't admit his mistakes easily. And when I saw him walking up to Prince, wanting to talk to him I thought it was good. He can tell them things from back in the dya. How their dad was in the studio. Stories they could charise. True stories, not tabloid talk. Even though he owes them an appology about what he said.

Have to admit that I did point my finger at Quincy when he said those awfull things. But reading his book and listening to more of his work did change my mind. He's a great musician, very talented and he did great things with Michael. I'd like to think that he got a bit bitter with age and maybe regretted not speaking to Michael more often in the past 10/15 years. He seems to be a man that doesn't admit his mistakes easily. And when I saw him walking up to Prince, wanting to talk to him I thought it was good. He can tell them things from back in the dya. How their dad was in the studio. Stories they could charise. True stories, not tabloid talk. Even though he owes them an appology about what he said.

The thing is no matter how bitter you are, saying people want to bleach the skin and not want being black is way beyond what you should say in public, especially when someone you work so closely before. Saying someone's kids are not his is just way beyond the limit. I don't think anything can justify these kind of speech and actions. I still can't believe how can someone say such things in public when you actually knew the person. QJ can have his opinions but saying all those in public is really horrible thing to do.

Bottomline, no matter how great a producer, music historian, jazz arranger etc. Quincy Jones is, he showed what type of human being / friend he was to MJ by the utter crude and disrespectful comments he has made publically both prior and post MJ's death. Its like its no big thing to disrespected and ridicule MJ.....NO ITS NOT!!!! And now here he is talking about forgiving Michael......talk about an inflated ego!

The hypocrisy I see displayed in some people who played a significant part in MJ's life is astounding to me!

talented or not, he said horrible things about the man we in this community love, miss, honor and respect. not once but several times and not about his music but about his appearance, talent and children. yes the child he's standing next to in the above post was called too white to be his fathers son.

The thing is no matter how bitter you are, saying people want to bleach the skin and not want being black is way beyond what you should say in public, especially when someone you work so closely before. Saying someone's kids are not his is just way beyond the limit. I don't think anything can justify these kind of speech and actions. I still can't believe how can someone say such things in public when you actually knew the person. QJ can have his opinions but saying all those in public is really horrible thing to do.

I didn't believe he said them at first. The person who told was gleeful about it, said the fact that they came from Quincy made them truthful, and that Quincy was "real" and old school and tells it like it is, blah, blah, blah...
I argued back it was tabloid trash, that Quincy Jones would never make such comments about Michael, especially about his children.

It really was heartbreaking to learn he said them. Still is.

I didn't believe he said them at first. The person who told was gleeful about it, said the fact that they came from Quincy made them truthful, and that Quincy was "real" and old school and tells it like it is, blah, blah, blah...
and this is why fans are angry. like when Bob jones came out with those crappy accusations. people went, "well he was there for decades". no matter the prove these folks words are taken as truth.

Back