Quincy Jones sues Michael Jackson’s estate over royalties

Stern also reminded the jurors that they only need to decide whether an allegation is "more likely to be true than untrue" and nine jurors out of 12 must agree on each question on the verdict form before moving on to the next. Deliberations began at approximately 2:30 p.m.

I would really like to know the questions.

I am sure Quincy doesn`t deserve what he wants, so I pray the jury will decide it this way.

jones thinks hes entitled to "this is it"" royalties?????? how????? HE WASNT INVOLVED IN THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!! is he delusional or what!!! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

jones thinks hes entitled to "this is it"" royalties?????? how????? HE WASNT INVOLVED IN THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!! is he delusional or what!!! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

You doesn`t have to be directly involved for getting royalities. In fact he got royalities $400,000 or $500,000 for TII but he wants much more.

Sorry to be off topic but it annoys me when media try to present Michael's death as some kind of accidental overdose on prescription meds.

Looking forward to the outcome of this Quincy mess. Keen to get these things out of the way once and for all.

"I don't care what the contracts say, I want more money"

This is how I will remember Quincy Jones from this day forward.

^^Read an article yesterday where they actually wrote his doctor overdosed him. That's never said and I was surprised they got it right.
Personally think Quincy is pushing it to get net profits from TII and Cirque.

^^Read an article yesterday where they actually wrote his doctor overdosed him. .

In the Billboard-IV with Weitzmann and Moddober they had it right in the article but this MyNewsLA.com/City News Service has in every article "he died from a overdose". That`s really annoying.

^Read an article yesterday where they actually wrote his doctor overdosed him. That's never said and I was surprised they got it right.
------------

Yeah very rare as it doesnt suit their drug addict agenda. No surprise as they lied about pretty much everything to turn him into what they wanted him to be

if there are accounting errors that caused royalties that were actually owned to him he should get it.. nothing more, nothing less.. trying to soak of 30 million I read? no...

^^hopefully the jury understands that he was paid 18million and just shorted a bit. Not that he was screwed out of millions.

^^Read an article yesterday where they actually wrote his doctor overdosed him. That's never said and I was surprised they got it right.
Personally think Quincy is pushing it to get net profits from TII and Cirque.

He shouldnt get profits of it he WASNT INVOLVED IN THEM!! Its like saying michael's father wanted profits from those two projects , are you all telling me some of you wouldnt be pissed if joe had done that?

He shouldnt get profits of it he WASNT INVOLVED IN THEM!! Its like saying michael's father wanted profits from those two projects , are you all telling me some of you wouldnt be pissed if joe had done that?

Well it actually depends on what the contracts state and how they are interpreted by the jury. Personally I think you're correct but the jury may think differently.

Quincy Jones Awarded $9.42 Million in Music Royalties Dispute With Michael Jackson Estate

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/quincy-jones-verdict-michael-jackson-1202506100/

Ricardo Lopez

Film Reporter
rljourno

Quincy Jones Verdict
Cook/Variety/REX/Shutterstock

July 26, 2017 | 04:58PM PT

Veteran music producer Quincy Jones prevailed on Wednesday in his dispute over unpaid royalties with the estate of Michael Jackson.

A Los Angeles jury awarded Jones $9.42 ($9,423,695) million in damages, finding that he had been underpaid in royalties for music used in the “This Is It” documentary and two Cirque du Soleil shows.

Related
Quincy Jones
Quincy Jones Testifies Against Michael Jackson Estate: ‘I Was Cheated Out of a Lot of Money’

Jones first sued in 2013, alleging that he was unfairly cut out of posthumous deals by Jackson’s estate to feature his music in the 2009 film and the Cirque shows. He said he was owed $30 million.

During the two-week trial, attorneys for both sides quibbled over how to interpret contract language that governed how Jones’ royalties were calculated.

Jones took the witness stand last week — entering the courtroom in a wheelchair — to explain his views on how he was “cheated out of a lot of money” by the Jackson estate. At issue was the interpretation of two contracts for the albums “Off the Wall,” “Thriller,” and “Bad.” Jones’ lawyers contended that his contracts entitle him to significant proceeds from “This Is It,” the backstage concert film released after Jackson’s death, as well as those from two Cirque du Soleil shows.

Related
Quincy Jones Trial
Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson’s Estate Duel Over Contract Wording in Royalties Trial

In handing down their verdict, the jury did not redefine what a “record” is. On the question of whether the Cirque shows or “This Is It” were considered “records,” the jury said no. As to what comprises a “video show” — “This Is It” is applicable, but not the Cirque performances.

Representing the Jackson estate, Howard Weitzman argued that Jackson himself made major contributions to the sound of each song, which rankled Jones, who testified that producers often take the blame for failures while artists get credit for hits.

Currently, the court is polling the jury on how they each answered the 28-question verdict form.

Following the verdict, Jones released the following statement:

“As an artist, maintaining the vision and integrity of one’s creation is of paramount importance. I, along with the team I assembled with Michael, took great care and purpose in creating these albums, and it has always given me a great sense of pride and comfort that three decades after they were originally recorded, these songs are still being played in every corner of the world. This lawsuit was never about Michael, it was about protecting the integrity of the work we all did in the recording studio and the legacy of what we created. Although this judgement is not the full amount that I was seeking, I am very grateful that the jury decided in our favor in this matter. I view it not only as a victory for myself personally, but for artists’ rights overall.”

On shut up Jones. Your greedy old ass only got a fraction of what you wanted stop trying act happy. Stupid old man

Does this mean Quincy is bought out now or will he be paid or entitled to sue again in the future? Is this done now?

Doubt it will go away just yet, as Weitzman said in another article they would probably appeal it.

"What we created". I'm surprised he didn't say "what I created".

Last edited:
From Time - http://time.com/4875908/michael-jackson-quincy-jones-dispute/

Jury foreman Duy Nguyen, 28, said the contracts were the strongest pieces of evidence the jury considered, and said hearing Jones' testimony was also helpful.
He said he and many members of the jury are Jackson fans, but that didn't factor into the deliberations. He said the verdict amount was a compromise figure based on an expert's testimony.

From Variety - http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/quincy-jones-verdict-michael-jackson-1202506100/

In handing down their verdict, the jury did not redefine what a “record” is. On the question of whether the Cirque shows or “This Is It” were considered “records,” the jury said no. As to what comprises a “video show” — “This Is It” is applicable, but not the Cirque performances.

From Billboard - http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ns-royalties-michael-jackson-estate-9-million

Following the verdict, Howard Weitzman and Zia Modabber, attorneys for the estate of Michael Jackson, said Jones should not have received the sum. "While the jury denied Quincy Jones $21 million – or more than two-thirds of what he demanded -- from The Estate of Michael Jackson, we still believe that giving him millions of dollars that he has no right to receive under his contracts is wrong," the pair said in a statement issued to Billboard.

The statement continues, "This would reinterpret the legal language in, and effectively rewrite, contracts that Mr. Jones lived under for more than three decades, admitted he never read, referred to as 'contract, montract,' and told the jurors he didn't 'give a damn' about. Any amount above and beyond what is called for in his contracts is too much and unfair to Michael’s heirs. Although Mr. Jones is portraying this is a victory for artists’ rights, the real artist is Michael Jackson and it is his money Mr. Jones is seeking."

--------------------------------------------------------

Overall kinda expected verdict. Jury literally found a middle of the road compromise. I'm far more interested in the specifics of their 28 question verdict form. What did they decide on first right to remix songs and permission for coupling the songs with others. That will have an effect on future releases and projects.

Quincy Jones Wins Huge Cut of MJ's Hits ... Nearly $10 Million!! http://www.tmz.com/2017/0...oductions/

Quincy Jones suddenly has 9.4 million reasons to go off the wall ... after scoring a huge victory over MJJ Productions and Sony.

The jury handed down its thriller of a decision Wednesday in Quincy's legal battle for unpaid royalties on Michael Jackson's three mega hit albums. Quincy argued accountants for the defendants screwed him out of dough he was owed for producing those records.

He was asking for around $30 million, so he didn't get exactly what he wanted -- but still a nice payday.

You can say this about Q -- he really didn't stop until he got enough.

8:10 PM PT -- MJ's estate says the judgement is "too much" and "unfair to Michael Jackson's heirs."

Attorneys Howard Weitzman and Zia Modabber tell TMZ, "While the jury denied Quincy Jones $21 million – or more than two-thirds of what he demanded -- we still believe that giving him millions of dollars that he has no right to receive under his contracts is wrong."

This would reinterpret the legal language in, and effectively rewrite, contracts that Mr. Jones lived under for more than three decades, admitted he never read, referred to as 'contract, montract,' and told the jurors he didn't 'give a damn' about."

"Any amount above and beyond what is called for in his contracts is too much and unfair to Michael’s heirs. Although Mr. Jones is portraying this is a victory for artists’ rights, the real artist is Michael Jackson and it is his money Mr. Jones is seeking."

So be it. He's getting his dough. Just hope he shuts up and leaves it alone now. With his lawyers probably getting at least a third, plus their expenses and after taxes, he might actually get less than $3 million in hand. He thinks he was more important to the work than MJ was, so I wouldn't count him out about going on about still being cheated.

Not surprised. So easy to win civil cases as the rules are all set in support of the plaintif. At least it was only a few million more or so than the estate were offering. It least it will drag on through appeal and he can get out of his fake wheelchair and go back on tour.

Personaly complex contract cases imo should be judged by judges and those who have a clue about contract law. The gen public are not educated enough on the matter same as with tax/fraud issues.

Obviously Estate wanted that jury only decides about liablility first and not about the sum but it seems the Motion was denied

Information from Ivy in this thread some month ago:
" and bifurcate motion is to split the trial into two parts. liability and damages. They argue that damages is a very complex issue with a lot of accounting involved and could confuse and /or bias the jurors. so they want a trial for liability first. and if they are found liable, a second trial to determine the damages. "

It does feel very middle of the road, if anything more favouring the Estate. Weren't they prepared to offer him a few million? That figure is certainly closer to the award than Quincy's demands.

Overall kinda expected verdict. Jury literally found a middle of the road compromise. I'm far more interested in the specifics of their 28 question verdict form. What did they decide on first right to remix songs and permission for coupling the songs with others. That will have an effect on future releases and projects.

...which mostly seem to be based around 'Thriller'...... I guess the payments to Quincy will continue.

By any luck they will move on and realise there is projects after bad.every cloud?

Isn`t Thriller in the trailer for the Stranger2-show also remixed?

I've followed the case lightly and always been on the fence, so I'm going to trust the Jury's decision. Good for Quincy.

Here's hoping they can put this behind them and collaborate on something in the future now, this has gone on long enough.

From Time - http://time.com/4875908/michael-jackson-quincy-jones-dispute/

The estate could appeal by the look of things. I suppose that right of first remix will expire when QJ dies, right? This will definitely affect future releases. because it means QJ will have to be approached first until his death for any repackaging of the old produced hits, which is bullshit IMO. the estate may well wait until QJ passes to start dishing out remixes. but how long will they want to wait?

Seems like he's not getting anything for live shows i.e cirque du soleil and immortal. but they awarded him on video shows, and it seems the jury interpreted "this is it" as a video show, which the estate thinks only applies to music videos.

Last edited:
It does feel very middle of the road, if anything more favouring the Estate. Weren't they prepared to offer him a few million? That figure is certainly closer to the award than Quincy's demands.

Yes they offered him 2-3 millons. So he gets about 6 million more then the settlement-offer and more then 20 millions less as he wanted in his Claim.

Back