RARE Michael Jackson Interview with John Pidgeon 1980 (35 Minutes)

I love that interview but can someone explain to me why the guy has talk to the kid like a 'translator'? Never talk to Michael directly!!

I love that interview but can someone explain to me why the guy has talk to the kid like a 'translator'? Never talk to Michael directly!!

The kid is Janet. I guess it was Michael's idea for being mysterious at the time. Thankfully later he had better ideas. :p

Or maybe they were simply playing a prank on Pidgeon.

Last edited:
I agree with Respect that it probably had a lot to do with being mysterious-but the way I remember it (and bear with me, because I don't have anything written down-I'm going by memory) is that up to that point Michael and his brothers gave lots of interviews-but around 'Off The Wall" things started changing and interviews went awry.
There was one in particular that Michael had when they were talking about social causes and their recent trip to Africa, and he said something along the lines of "world hunger is something he'd like to get involved in-they saw a lot of starving kids in Africa, I'm interested in that, etc."

And the interview came out and said "Michael Jackson ENJOYS seeing starving kids". I guess that was the last straw, so he decided any and all press being done for "Off the Wall" had to go through his sister-the reporter had to ask Janet, Janet had to ask him, he replied only to Janet, etc. and that way he could NOT be misquoted.(I'm pretty sure I read this explanation in Ebony or Jet-and I trust them).

I've read two or three interviews with Janet being the translator and Taraborelli talks about trying to do this for the magazine he worked for in the first edition of "Magic and the Madness." I don't know if it made any of his "revised" editions, since I haven't and won't read those, and I understand that he took a lot of the more interesting stuff out of his first book to make room for the tabloidy stuff later.

KOPV;4116214 said:

According to Taraborelli MJ did the same thing with him during an interview like barbee said.

According to Joseph, Michael had told his record company
that he no longer sought direct contact with the media for fear of
questions about ‘that girl, you know, the one we got that problem
with.’ I knew he was referring to Gina Sprague. ‘Plus some other
stuff that's going on,’ Joseph continued. ‘But when he said he
didn't want to do no interviews, the label [Epic executives] forced
him to. Me, too. I told him he needs to talk to you and the other
guys in the press. It's the right thing to do,’ Joseph said. ‘So, what
can I say? He did it his way. Sorry. Guess he wanted some control
in his life, huh?’

Gina Sprague was a woman who Katherine supposedly had an altercation with over Joe (not sure if that was confirmed as true, somebody will correct me if so).

Taraborelli went onto say he felt a 'grudging admiration' for how MJ had conducted the interview. As he still gave the interview, as instructed, but Taraborelli says he found the whole thing too weird so cancelled the feature. In the end, MJ got what he wanted... which was no story. Thus why the 'grudging admiration'.

Last edited:

The kid is Janet.

I laughed when I read that, KOPV! :D For those that didn't recognize Janet's "kid" voice, here's a snippet of it when she was on the 70s tv show, "Good Times". This show was bold about the social issues of the time and she was on it for seasons 5 and 6.

Yeah I'm surprised I didn't notice that's Janet... Maybe just totally in my head like "this seems very diva-ish and I hope there's a logical explanation to this" lol... Hervoice went totally over my head - wow

Don't get me wrong it is still a nice interview!

Yeah I'm surprised I didn't notice that's Janet... Maybe just totally in my head like "this seems very diva-ish and I hope there's a logical explanation to this" lol... Hervoice went totally over my head - wow

Don't get me wrong it is still a nice interview!

:crackingup: It IS very "diva-ish", bahahahahaa! I enjoyed the interview, too. :)

Back