Rare Pictures Thread

6e5e58cf-0c4f-488b-a179-e9db4f820b8b.jpg

@wendijane just posted this photo today and I already feel the need to re-post it. It is beyond awesome!

tumblr_o7528yswBI1rxfhcfo1_1280.jpg

Shelley Frost was playing the harp at the Palace of the Lost City hotel in Sun City, South Africa, when a surprise admirer – one who many musicians could only dream of meeting – came up and congratulated her on the performance. It was Michael Jackson. “I was playing at a high-profile wedding in 1997 when I felt a tap on my shoulder,’’ says Shelley, founder-director of The Fridge, a leading artist-booking agency and venue in Dubai. She turned around to face the pop superstar clad in his military regalia, complete with epaulettes.
“His manager had told me that he was very keen on meeting me because he had a passion for the harp,” says Shelley. After finishing the piece, she had a chance to chat to the star. She met him three times over the next two years and says, “he turned out to be a lovely person, gentle, kind and very interested in the harp.” That was Shelley’s first encounter with an A-list star. Since then she has opened for Spanish tenor Jose Carreras at the Dubai leg of his 2009 world tour. She has also played with Kanye West in Europe and in the US.
I love this little story. It is so Michael. ❤️

tumblr_o98iszFmGh1rxfhcfo1_500.jpg

On this day,June 23,1994, Michael visits Cab Calloway in a New York Hospital. Cabell “Cab” Calloway III (December 25, 1907 – November 18, 1994) was an American jazz singer and bandleader, and in May, 1994 suffered a stroke leading to his passing six months later.

Michael Jackson held Cab Calloway’s hand during the hospital visit in White Plains, N.Y., and urged the 86-year-old bandleader to recover from a stroke. Calloway, who was hospitalized on June 12, was listed in stable conditon on Friday. Michael Jackson visited Calloway on Wednesday, said Calloway’s youngest daughter, Cabella Langsam.

“We love you. I love you. The world loves you. You can’t do this. You’ve got to fight. You’ve got to get better,” she quoted Jackson as saying.

In the 1930s, Calloway can be seen performing a gliding backstep dance move, the precursor to Michael Jackson’s “moonwalk”. Calloway said 50 years later, “it was called The Buzz back then.”

Pic:Michael with Cecelia Lael Calloway,Cab Calloway’s daughter.
Another wonderful story.

Not sure if these are rare but the story is so touching, I love hearing or reading stories about how caring and generous Michael was. :girl_aww: :wub: Story by Michael's former chef, Dona Remy.
tumblr_oe6mu96aLc1rxfhcfo1_500.png
The stories just keep on coming. Wonder if I should put them somewhere else?

Anyway, this one made me all tearful.

The stories just keep on coming. Wonder if I should put them somewhere else?

Anyway, this one made me all tearful.
This story made me cry! Wow.

As for this question...I haven't checked, but is there a thread for Michael stories? LIke, from people meeting or spending time with him?

I am sure there is (though I haven't checked either) one for Michael's humanitarianism... I would love to see stories like this shared in one of those threads too.

This story made me cry! Wow.

As for this question...I haven't checked, but is there a thread for Michael stories? LIke, from people meeting or spending time with him?

I am sure there is (though I haven't checked either) one for Michael's humanitarianism... I would love to see stories like this shared in one of those threads too.
I can't remember. I'll have to dig around. I spend so much time in the archives and that's great but sometimes I forget exactly what I have or haven't seen. And I can't bookmark it all. My bookmarks are exploding as it is. I mean, these are not interviews but I feel the need to put them somewhere specific. Just not sure where.

You are really welcome zinnia. Oh no not the Motown producer :(
Yes. Lamont Dozier of Holland - Dozier - Holland, Tamla Motown songwriters. I posted a song each on What Are You Listening To and Fave Video as a mark of respect. Those guys, they wrote the soundtrack to my entire childhood. I am gutted. He was only 81 which is no age these days.

Back