Reflections on Michael Jackson : Articles, Blogs & Stories Thread

rsz_cafe_soul.jpg

Montreal soul legend Alan Prater has played with the greats, but misses Michael Jackson most
January 10, 2013. 5:17 pm

prater-jackson.jpg

Michael Jackson and Alan Prater back in the day

“I’m so in looove with you!” the Rev. Al Green sings to me in his legendary falsetto over his mobile phone in Memphis.

I hear a big commotion. “Are you singing in a bank?” I ask The Rev incredulously.

“Am I in a bank? Ha!” The Rev. Al Green laughed, then repeated my question to his bank teller. “I’m talking to a journalist from Montreal, Canada!”

Two weeks later at Place des Arts during an audience sing-along, Green heard someone sing in a pitch-perfect falsetto. Green stopped the crowd and asked who it was, and of course it was Alan Prater, the Montreal soul legend who over the years has shared stages around the world with everybody from Trevor Payne of the Montreal Jubilation Gospel Choir to the late Michael Jackson.

“That was cool!” says Prater, whose soul/R’n’B band Café Soul begins their new residency this week at Club Peopl in Old Montreal. “Funny thing is, between tours with Michael in the old days, I used to return to Montreal with my band. We played across Canada, were called Transit, and they became Al Green’s back-up band. So that night in Montreal, I knew everybody in his band!”

Prater was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida, where he learned to play trumpet and trombone in high school. Prater grew up on a steady diet of Sam Cooke and Al Green songs, and was a gifted musician, playing violin and drums before he became a one-man horn section.

alan-prater-1.jpg

Montreal soul legend Alan Prater

“My mom always encouraged me to follow my dream,” says Prater who was later hired to tour with The Jacksons when he was just in his late teens.

“We played in Toronto and at the Montreal Forum and then [between tours] a friend of mine up here invited me to spend some time in Montreal, and I just fell in love with the city,” Prater says. “It feels like you’re in Europe, and I wasn’t far away from my family in America.”

prater11.jpg

By the time Prater moved to Montreal for good in 1991, he’d spent the previous decade touring with a who’s who in R’n’B, including with Michael Jackson from 1981 to 1985 as MJ’s trumpet and trombone player. They had become quite tight on tour, so when MJ died on June 25, 2009, Prater was dumbfounded.

“A friend called me to say that Michael had died, so I turned on CNN and there he was,” Prater says. “I was numb. I tell you, Michael was the kindest person I ever met. He’d introduce me to Elizabeth Taylor and Liza Minelli like I already knew these people.

“And after each show, I’d sit in my hotel room and Michael would knock on the door every night and we’d talk. He was always curious about other people’s lives. I thought he was going to live forever.”

Over the years Prater would also work with The O’Jays, Cameo, Millie Jackson and many many others in the music business today.

The Source:
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/20...h-the-greats-but-misses-michael-jackson-most/

Last edited:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

The Blog Article:
Chris Tucker Mentions Fun Times With MJ... May 4th, 2013

Chris Tucker's 90-minute stand-up set Friday at Austin’s Bass Concert Hall - one of his first comedy dates since re-launching his career in 2011 and his first in the United States this year – showcased exactly why he became such a hit comedy actor in his "Rush Hour" movies from 1998 to 2007. Even though Chis Tucker performed to a sold-out audience, he chose to front-load his set with jokes relating to his wealth and tax troubles. It has been reported that he owed almost $12 million to the IRS. By poking fun at himself, he cleverly blew up the barrier between the audience and himself as a formerly rich movie star and create a more relatable persona.

Beyond the IRS and financial shtick, Chris Tucker deepened his bond with the audience with colorful, relatable stories about his childhood. Through vivid physical comedy, Tucker instantly transformed himself into his precocious childhood self, his brother, his melodramatic uncle “John”, his take-no-prisoners mother and other relatives, swiftly switching personas through an impeccable shift of body language and vocal transformation.

[youtube]CvCDLEJlmA4[/youtube]
Chris Tucker talks about Michael Jackson..

[youtube]YPaqmtXrCc8[/youtube]
Chris Tucker on what made Michael Jackson laugh..

Most impressive was how Tucker transformed into Bill Clinton and Michael Jackson. He is genuinely skilled at impersonations and his exaggerated imitation of the president Clinton’s mannerisms, walk, and talk drew some great laughs from the audience. Tucker easily slipped into the voice of Michael Jackson, and did an excellent impersonation of Jackson singing and dancing, reminiscing about their times together in Neverland, singing with Barry Gibbs, and a funny car ride where Michael broke out into 50 Cent's sexually crude, bass-thumping 'In Da Club.'

Regardless of what happens next in both his movie and stand-up career, it is evident that Chris Tucker is a funny man worthy of being on stage and on screen.

The Source:
http://www.examiner.com/review/chris-tucker-laughs-off-hard-times?cid=rss

Last edited:
michael-jackson-4.jpg

Patrick Treacy Shares His Reflections on Michael Jackson
By Deborah L. Kunesh ©Copyright 2010 by Deborah L. Kunesh

Most know Michael Jackson as a worldwide icon, a gifted dancer, a musical genius, the King of Pop.

Patrick Treacy, a cosmetic doctor and humanitarian from Dublin, Ireland, had the somewhat rare opportunity to get to know the man behind that notoriety and title. To get a glimpse of the human being and humanitarian that sometimes too few saw.

“I first met Michael after his Santa Maria trial when he was living in Ireland (2006-2007),” said Treacy. Michael had approached Treacy hoping he would take him on as a patient while there, to help him manage his dermatological conditions. From there, a professional relationship, as well as a friendship, blossomed.

“It was quickly apparent we shared humanitarian ideals and a love of the African continent,” said Treacy. “In fact, his opening words to me on initial contact were ‘Thank you for all you are doing for the people of Africa’,” exclaimed Treacy.

Patrickhumanitarian.jpg

“I was surprised when he proceeded to take out an old magazine from his pocket, which had an article detailing some of my experiences of coming across empty villages on route through Africa, which I had written back in 1992. I had called that story ‘The Silence of the Savannah’. The article covered my movements travelling from Kenya, by way of Tanzania and Zambia en route to South Africa, where I was going to work as a doctor.” (Most of these articles were later published in the Irish Medical Times, where they were the basis of an award winning column.)

Michael was especially touched by Treacy’s article which describes the landscape of Africa and deserted towns left vacant by the plague.

Here is an excerpt from that article:

“Evenings in Kenya are enchanting. It is then that the sun takes on a light of deep red before setting, and barefooted women clothed in loose kangas stir up a light murram dust as they meet us on their way homeward for the night. As dusk falls the swollen rim of the sinking sun runs rivulets of scarlet colour into the skyline and silhouettes the acacia trees on the hillsides around us. This is the unchanging magic in the landscape of Africa, and it is our signal we have travelled enough for the day. We turn into the bush to find some shade and set up camp. In the distance we can hear some voices from a nearby ‘manyatta’, and the sound of barking dogs disturbs the stillness of the dusk…..later, we pass many empty villages, abandoned stores and vacant huts that are a testament to the destructive power of the plague whose path we follow. There is an eeriness about these deserted hamlets, and in the restless winds that stir the blue savannah grasses I listen expectantly to hear the noise of barking dogs, or the distant sounds of children playing ..... but no sound comes!

“‘You know I cried when I read that’ Michael said with a genuine compassion in his voice,” said Treacy.” Michael continued, “We must do something together for the people of Africa.” “With that, we started planning a concert in Rwanda,” Treacy said.

Michael knew of an old airfield that could be rented to hold the concert and he offered to fly Treacy on his plane, to meet Nelson Mandela personally. “He knew I had been involved in his struggle for freedom,” said Treacy.

77e49cc79c_ltpjacksonmandela.jpg

Michael’s mission is quickly apparent for those who take a moment to look deeper. He wanted to heal the world, show love to everyone who came across his path as well as those whose paths he purposely set out to cross, and as he stated himself, to continue to love and help people the way that Jesus said to.

“Michael was deeply Christian and believed that private acts of charity were considered virtuous only if not done for others to admire,” stated Treacy. “We should be reminded of Matthew 6:1 when Jesus says "Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness in front of others, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”

Michael, driven by his faith, stood true to those biblical principles, which is why he did so much of his giving in secret, with no cameras or press coverage, and incidentally, why so few, other than the die-hard fans and those close enough to get a bird’s eye view, really knew the depth of his giving.

In addition to their shared passion for humanitarianism, Treacy considered Michael a friend. “I knew Michael as a friend. The qualities of friendship include honesty, the ability to be supportive in times of crisis and goal achievement, being attentive and adaptable, but most of all they involve trust,” stated Treacy. “However, Michael was above all of that. He expected trust and respect because of his inherent goodness, but did not always get it from people in return.”

Treacy uses an example from Mahavanain Buddhism to explain his feelings of friendship with Michael.

“In Mahavanain Buddhism, there is an enlightened existence known as the ‘bodhisattva’ In this position, a person decides to postpone attainment of nirvana in order to alleviate the suffering of others,” states Treacy. Treacy feels this very much describes the kind of person Michael was. Forgoing his own happiness to help to heal others, and this planet.

“I have been fortunate to have met some of these visionaries, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Bono, John Lennon and Michael Jackson,” stated Treacy. “Only five people in nearly half a century. Just enough to count on the fingers of one hand. Each of them, intrinsically motivated by a sense of great compassion, generating bodhicitta for the ultimate benefit of all sentient beings. I knew Lady Diana Spencer during the mid nineties in a medical sense and I had been in the presence of His Holiness the Dalai Lama without having actually met him. All of these people, hugely influential, global messengers using their powers to try and make the world a better place for each of us to live in. Nelson Mandela stood against the injustice of apartheid, Mother Theresa and Bono against the injustice of poverty, John Lennon against the injustice of war, but Michael Jackson went further. His body of artistic work carried a spiritual message for these and all of the other injustices of the human race…those of racism, inequality, disease, hunger and corruption. That to me was the embodiment of Michael Jackson the friend.”

Treacy feels that Michael’s song, “Man in the Mirror” is self-analytical. “All great spiritual leaders went through a period of self-analysis, doubt and meditation. I feel this is part of his real legacy.”

“I’m starting with the man in the mirror; I’m asking him to change his ways; no message could have been any clearer; if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change.” Lyrics from Michael's song "Man in the Mirror"

[youtube]Y-Fnp_mTE94[/youtube]

Giving a nod to the upcoming trial of Michael’s attending physician when he died, Dr. Conrad Murray, Treacy said, “There are forces trying to smear his name prior to the new trial in Los Angeles. The media are gearing up to throw more missiles at a 'freak' who was 'addicted to drugs' and who was probably guilty of pedophilia even though he was acquitted of all charges relating to the same,” said Treacy.

“Few people now remember that he donated all of the money from the song we just mentioned above to charity. Following the 1984 Victory Tour, he donated his $5 million share from the tour's profits to charity. In 1985, he co-wrote the single "We Are the World" with Lionel Richie and donated all of the proceeds to help the needy in Africa. Almost 20 million copies of "We Are the World" were sold, making it one of the best-selling singles of all time. The project raised millions for famine relief.”

The media has undoubtedly played a major part in that misconception about who Michael Jackson really was.

“There are two types of media presently functioning in our society,” said Treacy.

“One, like the 'BBC' embraces objectivity and sees its function to provide credible documentaries and news commentaries primarily written for its listeners and readers. This type of professional reporter is usually devoid of having to please advertisers with high volume of sales, television audience management (TAM ratings) or ABC numbers,” states Treacy.

“The other type of reporter pens stories that are written solely to please advertisers. These are usually subjective, lack credibility and push the limits of legality. Their information sources often lack proper credentials and may be untrustworthy.

Unfortunately, most people in our western society are poorly informed or inadequately educated and sometimes may not be able to differentiate between the subjective components of the believability of a source or message. The media plays on these people to generate sales of their publications. To achieve high volume they must write about someone who a lot of people know. The absence of regulation in this marketplace leads to gross defamation of character and this is legally easier whenever the person in question is deceased.”

This media misconception even caused Treacy himself to want to protect Michael from what could be misconstrued by a doubting public and a rabid media as anything other than the noble intention that it was.

Treacy, no stranger to dire situations himself (he became a prisoner of Saddam Hussein in 1988 as he ventured into a surrounding area where a debilitating attack had occurred, sending many to a nearby hospital in Baghdad. He was released from his captivity just 4 days before the start of the first Gulf War in August 1990), he was fully aware of how it might appear to the public, and also, how it would be played out in the media, if Michael followed his heart and visited the badly burned children of a recent attack, at Crumlin Childrens’ Hospital in Dublin.

"Gavin Murray, 5 years of age, and his sister Millie, 7, had been left scarred for life after flames from a petrol bomb from gang warfare, which engulfed them as they sat in the back seat of their mother's car at Pineview Gardens, Moyross, Limerick on September 10, 2006. The children had horrific injuries and unbearable pain cast upon them following the attack. Such was the extent of Gavin's injuries, his right ear effectively melted away after he was pulled from the burning car. He suffered 25 percent body burns to his face, head, back and hands and had to be sedated when his wounds were cleaned and bandages changed. Millie suffered 30 percent burning to her face, right arm, right thigh and lower back. Her wounds were reconstructed with skin grafts taken from her back and legs. Both children have to wear protective clothing and continue to receive daily treatment for their injuries.

People said “the children were turned into human fireballs".

Sheila Murray pulled Millie from the inferno while Gavin was rescued by neighbours, including Robert Sheehan. The children were rushed to the Mid-Western Regional Hospital before being transferred to Crumlin Childrens' Hospital. A statement from Consultant Plastic Surgeon at Crumlin, Dr David Orr said the children suffered life threatening burns and would have "severe permanent disfigurement".

The mother said "When they were coming off sedation, they were in terrible pain but I had to be there to support them. Most of the time I had to leave the room because I couldn't stand to watch anymore," "They will be scarred physically for the rest of their lives. I have to sit up most nights with Gavin as he gets bad nightmares.

"They are both frightened to sleep on their own so they sleep with me.
Michael wanted to go in and visit them and we discussed it at length. I thought it was a bad idea as the media did not know where he was, it would expose him to their hostility and it could be read totally the wrong way by seeing him going into a pediatric hospital so soon after the case.

He wanted me to go in with him and I said I would go in alone and see how the children were as I used to work as a doctor in the hospital.

He continually asked me "were they in pain?" "would they be given morphine?" "how badly were they burned?" "will you go in and see them for me?" "would they be scarred?" "were they from a disadvantaged background?" "why could he not go in to see them?"

Michael would say to me, "Why do you say those things Patrick, that I can't go in to see them? You don't believe that I would ever harm children?"

He then told me a long story about how he had been set up by a certain company regarding his Santa Maria case to hand over shares (least said the better!)

I said "Michael, I don't believe you would ever harm a child!"

He said "Then, why don't you let me go into the hospital?"

I said "Because, your innocence will get you into trouble!"

He said "What innocence?"

I said "You know, your inability to see what the media would make of it, is the reason you are in trouble in the first place!"

He said "Do you think I would ever harm a child?"

I said “No!”

He said "You mean that from the bottom of your heart!"

I said "Michael, I think you are like a modern day Jesus Christ!"

He said "If Jesus was here now would you stop him?"

I thought for a minute and honestly said "No!"

Then he said "You never met Jesus and you do not know him as a person yet you would stand by him. You say you know me and you won't! That is being a hypocrite!"

I said "Michael you are right!"

I still felt he should not go into the hospital and stood against it and I must say I regret it to this day that I did not walk beside him when he needed me most.

You know, the children have contacted me since through someone else and said one of the greatest moments in their lives was the fact Michael thought about them.

We also have another child who got severely burned whose mother is involved in the conversation earlier who Michael is also helping beyond the grave.

Beautiful being. Thank you so much for giving my child the signed photo. Coupled with the fact that both of them suffered head fires and he died on her birthday, we feel connected to him. He truly was one of the great humanitarians the world has ever seen.”

~ A.D.
Mother of a burned child who loves Michael and shares a birthday with him. Michael signed something for Patrick to give to her. The child's name has been withheld to allow for privacy.

The Source:
http://www.reflectionsonthedance.com/interview-with-patrick-treacy.html

[youtube]19uybIrKFMk[/youtube]

The Blog Article:
Soul Train History Book: The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
June 17, 2013

Michael-Jackson-on-Soul-Train-1979-196x300.jpg

There are some people in show business history whom you recognize by only one name: Beyoncé, Gladys, Aretha, Patti, Smokey, Diana, Luther and…Michael.

To commemorate the fourth anniversary of Michael Jackson’s untimely passing, this month’s edition of Soul Train History Book will focus on Michael’s solo work on Soul Train and Soul Train-related programming.

The late King of Pop was a performer ever since the age of 5, when he and his band of brothers, the Jackson 5, played in local clubs and bars in their hometown of Gary, Indiana. They made such a big name for themselves that they eventually played arenas such as Harlem’s Apollo Theater, Chicago’s Regal Theater, and Philadelphia’s Uptown Theater opening for big name acts like James Brown, Jackie Wilson, The O’Jays and many others. Although all of the brothers were talented, Michael was always the standout.

When Motown Records Chairman Berry Gordy saw the Jackson 5‘s audition tape, he enthused about the whole group, but he was especially impressed with Michael. So tBerry signed the group to his Motown Records, label and the rest is history.

Soul Train creator and host Don Cornelius promoted a concert at Chicago’s Regal Theater in 1967 when he was a radio deejay at Chicago’s WVON. The Jackson 5 was the opening act for Gladys Knight & The Pips on this show and Don, like everyone else in attendance, was in awe of the entire group, particularly young Michael’s showmanship.

As a group, the Jacksons appeared on Soul Train four times. On three of those appearances, Michael did solo performances. He also made an appearance on Soul Train once all by himself when his brothers were not present. Any solo performance or appearance by Michael on Soul Train, as on any program he performed with or without his brothers, had all of his fans watching with bated interest and excitement.

Michael’s very first solo performance on Soul Train was in October 1973 on a special show which spotlighted The Jackson 5′s current album Get It Together. About halfway in the show, Michael was alone on stage with Don Cornelius, joking that Michael was “thanking him for teaching him all of the heavy dance moves” he had executed earlier in the show. He asked Michael if he wanted him to show him any other moves to which Michael jokingly replied, “Yeah, you can teach me a couple of more things.” Don and Michael laughed after Don told him, “When I get more time.”

Don reminisced about how he remembered Michael and his brothers performing in and around Chicago before signing with Motown, and how they were such a sensation that “no one else wanted to share the same stage with The Jackson 5.” Don wanted to know from Michael who was an influence on his performing ability; Michael responded that since the group didn’t have any songs out at the time, they would study and do songs by James Brown, the Temptations and the Supremes. Don noted that Michael used to do James Brown’s moves very well. He then asked Michael to perform his most recent solo hit, the poignant “With a Child’s Heart.”

Seeing Michael perform this touching song, in light of his untimely death and how he spoke often about his missed childhood due to being in show business, makes one a little emotional. If anyone didn’t know that this song was originally recorded by Stevie Wonder in 1966, one would think the song was written specifically for Michael. Lines such as “no grown up thoughts to lead our hearts astray” and “nothing’s gonna get, nothing’s gonna get me down” truly touch the heart with Michael’s incredible vocal.

The song reached number #14 on the soul singles charts and no higher than #50 on the pop charts, but the chart showings don’t reflect the beauty of this song. It’s one of Michael’s best and is a cherished classic.

Michael’s next solo appearance on Soul Train was on the show’s September 1974 taping. By the time this episode aired in most areas on October 5, 1974, the Jackson 5’s latest album Dancing Machine had been released. So when viewers watching Soul Train that day saw that Michael Jackson was going to be a guest, many assumed he was going to be doing songs from a new solo album, presumably the solo album that was being produced by Stevie Wonder, a story that was printed in various magazines. However, when Don Cornelius was about to introduce Michael, he was holding the group’s Dancing Machine album in his hand telling the audience that Michael was going to “help us check out some of the terrific tunes on the hot new Jackson 5 album entitled Dancing Machine.” Michael, looking dapper in his pink suit, received thunderous applause from the Soul Train Gang as he did his first number, the funky, mid-tempo “Whatever You Got, I Want,” which went number three on the soul singles chart but no higher than number 38 on the pop charts–kind of a blow for the group after the tremendous success of their most recent single “Dancing Machine.”

Stevie Wonder also had written and produced tunes for a Jackson 5 album as well, but both the group’s songs and Michael’s songs produced by Stevie remained in Motown’s vaults until one of those tracks, “Buttercup,” was released in 2010 as part of a CD compilation. Interestingly enough, during those recording sessions, the Jackson 5 did “doo doo wop” background vocals on Stevie Wonder’s number one soul and pop hit “You Haven’t Done Nothin,” which was a message to the then scandal-plagued President Richard Nixon.

Viewers who were watching this episode of Soul Train were puzzled. Where were Tito, Marlon, Jackie and Jermaine? Why were they not on stage performing with Michael?

After the Jackson 5 were a smash at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, the powers-that-be at Motown had boosted the group’s fee for making personal appearances, especially on television. It was learned that Don Cornelius could not afford the new performance fee Motown was asking to have all five brothers appear on his program. So since Michael did most of the lead vocals on the new album, as with previous albums, it was decided that he would come on Soul Train by himself to promote three of its tracks which featured his lead vocals.

The Dancing Machine album, which Michael had said in interviews he was not pleased with and was not as good as it could have been, was basically comprised of previously unreleased tunes that Motown Records put together in an obvious attempt to cash in on the huge success of the “Dancing Machine” single. Most of the songs on this album were recorded during the sessions for the Get it Together album, with the exception of their outstanding track “I Am Love,” which was supposed to be the concept for the new album, but Motown rejected the concept, and threw that track along with “Dancing Machine” and other previously unreleased tunes to fill up the album.

Michael didn’t look too enthused when Don was interviewing him about the album, half-heartedly stating his favorite tracks from the album. Don noted that the album was inspired by the success of the single “Dancing Machine,” which Michael said sold 4 million, but that the group’s biggest selling single was “I’ll Be There.” Don also asked about the group’s performance in Las Vegas, and Michael replied that the group always wanted to play Vegas (however, the group wasn’t initially happy about doing Vegas when their father Joseph Jackson made arrangements for them to perform there).

Later in the show, Michael did a question-and-answer session with the Soul Train Gang. Numerous hands went up from people who had many questions to ask him. This is rare to see since this was one of the only times Michael ever took questions from an audience on a television show. The gang asked many interesting questions, such as one by a dancer who asked Michael if he thought that the Jackson 5 influenced a lot of the other young groups. Michael more than happily answered, “Yeah, that is true.” He added that after his group came on the scene, the Osmonds and other groups followed. That statement received thunderous applause and approval from the Soul Train Gang.

Another dancer asked Michael about the movie he and his brothers were working on. Michael answered that the movie was scheduled to start shooting in November with tentative stars Bill Cosby and Cicely Tyson (he had incorrectly said Liza Minnelli, prompting him and the Soul Train Gang to laugh).

The movie that was being referred to was “Isoman Cross & Sons,” which was written and going to be produced and directed by veteran actor Raymond St. Jacques and was going to star the Jackson 5 as slaves in 19th century America. Joseph Jackson had a huge press party a few months earlier to make the announcement about the movie. Unfortunately, the movie never materialized and was never made.

Michael then performed a beautiful ballad from the album entitled “If I Don’t Love You This Way.” He closed the show with a percolating track called “What You Don’t Know,” causing Soul Train dancer Little Joe Chism to blow his party whistle and the Soul Train Gang to scream and cheer.

A sister group, MDLT, who had been performing with the Jackson 5 as an opening act for their concerts in 1974, also performed two tracks on this episode, the second being one that the Jackson 5 wrote and produced for them entitled “What’s Your Game?” It was released on Joseph Jackson’s new label Ivory Tower Records, and their Soul Train appearance helped boost the single up to 89 on the soul single charts.

The Dancing Machine album went to number 16 on the pop album charts, becoming the Jackson 5’s last gold album at Motown. The album did not score at all on the soul album charts. It was rumored that the powers-that-be at Motown were angry that the group’s smash Las Vegas act and them writing and producing songs for their dad’s new record label as well as doing a movie were moves controlled by their dad and not Motown. So somehow the album’s sales were not accurately reported for the soul album chart, causing it not to appear on the chart at all, which was Motown’s way of telling the group who was ultimately in control of their recording career.

The next time Michael performed solo on Soul Train was on a show taped in December 1975, featuring tunes from his Forever, Michael album, the last studio album he recorded for Motown. He also performed two tracks with his brothers on this program, the disco stomper “Forever Came Today” and the superb ballad “All I Do Is Think of You.”

Michael did three tracks, his number 4 soul and number 23 pop hit “Just A Little Bit of You,” which was a danceable, bouncy track and one of Michael’s best cuts; the classy and touching ballad “One Day in Your Life,” which Motown released as a single in 1981 to compete with Michael’s new work at the Epic Records label; and the heartfelt tune “We’ve Got Forever.”

Don asked Michael what his hobbies were, to which Michael replied reading books and feeding the birds in his bird collection. On the subject of school, Michael told Don he attended a private school with other celebrity child stars such as Danny Bonaduce from the by-then defunct TV program The Partridge Family. Don asked if Danny was a good kid and Michael half-heartedly replied, “Yeah, I guess you can say that.” “That’s not what you told me before,” Don countered. “You told me that Danny gets into trouble at school, right?” “Yeah, sometimes,” Michael responded. Little did Michael know that his classmate watched Soul Train also.

Michael’s comments about Danny nearly caused him to get into a fight with his classmate the Monday after this program aired. Danny recalled in his book and on the nineties program An Evening With Clint Holmes that when he went to school that Monday and saw Michael, he screamed, “Jackson, I’m gonna kick your butt!” He then said all of a sudden, Michael’s brothers appeared from out of nowhere and when he saw what a big guy Tito was, he backed down. “Yessir, the Jackson 5 can beat up the Partridge Family,” Danny Bonaduce joked.

Michael told Don of his future plans, which included recording other artists and doing movies which he stated he really wanted to give a try. When Don told Michael that he had the looks for being an actor, Michael shrugged off the remark (Don, like many other people, had no idea the agony Michael was going through at this time battling acne).

Michael’s promotion of Forever, Michael was an attempt to boost sales of the album, which sold poorly when it was released in January 1975. While fairly successful on the soul album charts at number 10, it peaked no higher than 101 on the pop album charts. This was one of the motivating factors which led Joseph to search for a new record label, one which would promote his sons better as well as give them the opportunity to write and produce their own material, which Motown would not allow.

Michael’s last solo performance on Soul Train was on the January 1979 taping, a tenth anniversary salute to the Jacksons career in the entertainment industry as well as a promotion for their new album on Epic entitled Destiny. Before Michael performed during a solo spot, Don Cornelius asked him about his work on his new motion picture The Wiz. “It was a lot of fun,” Michael said. “I had to be in makeup everyday for six months.” Don asked him if acting was hard, and Michael told him other actors such as Sidney Poitier and Ryan O’Neal helped him to prepare for the role. Michael then performed the dreamy, moody ballad “Push Me Away,” the second track off the group’s Destiny album.

Michael’s very last appearance on Soul Train was a cameo spot to further discuss his work in The Wiz (this segment was taped the same day of the tenth anniversary salute of the group). “It was terrific, something I always wanted to do,” Michael told Don. “It was a lot of fun working with all the greats–Sidney Lumet, Quincy Jones, everybody.” They played a clip from the film featuring Diana Ross as Dorothy and Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow singing “Ease On Down the Road.” Michael explained to Don that the scene had to be shot a couple of times since the road they danced on was actually a hill so they were really “easing on up the road,” and they were out of breath during the filming of the scene. Don asked Michael if he would come back to Soul Train despite the fact that he was a big movie star. Michael laughed and replied, “Definitely!” Alas, this was Michael’s swan song appearance on Soul Train. From 1979 on, Michael became a megastar by way of his Off the Wall and Thriller albums.

Although Michael no longer performed on Soul Train, his affiliation with the show did not cease. His music was always a constant favorite on the show. Songs such as “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough,” “P.Y.T.,” “Bad,” “Smooth Criminal,” “Jam” and others were played heavily on the show. He also took several honors at the Soul Train Music Awards. In 1988, he received awards for the Best Soul Single Male for “Bad” and Best R&B Album of the Year for his album Bad. Because he was on tour, he was unable to personally accept the awards.

At the third annual Soul Train Music Awards, Eddie Murphy and legendary movie actress and Michael’s dear friend Elizabeth Taylor presented him with the Heritage Award for Career Achievement and the very first Sammy Davis Jr. Award for Entertainer of the Year. This was where Elizabeth bestowed him with the title “King of Pop, Rock & Soul” (Michael’s former PR person Bob Jones claimed that he coined the term “King of Pop” at Michael’s urging and it was placed on banners at arenas during Michael’s Bad tour throughout 1988). When Michael came out to receive his award amidst a standing ovation, Eddie humorously adjusted the microphone for Michael, a funny dig at Michael for asking him to adjust the microphone stand at the American Music Awards three months earlier. Michael also received awards for Best R&B Contemporary Single, Male for “Man in the Mirror” and Best R&B Contemporary Video for “Man in the Mirror.”

At the seventh annual Soul Train Music Awards, TV viewers and those in attendance at the ceremony were shocked to see Michael on crutches which he later explained was due to him twisting his ankle while rehearsing (Bob Jones, Michael’s former PR person claimed in his book The Man Behind the Mask that once Michael returned to his Neverland estate, he threw his crutches to the ground and started dancing around saying, “It’s a miracle!,” believing Michael pulled a publicity stunt during the awards ceremony). Nevertheless, Michael came to not only receive several awards, but to also present an award to Eddie Murphy for that year’s Heritage Award for career achievement. “Isn’t it nice to see him (Michael) getting out and giving people awards?” Eddie joked. Michael himself received the Humanitarian of the Year Award, Best R&B Soul Album for Dangerous and Best R&B Soul Single, Male for “Remember the Time.” Michael also performed “Remember the Time” while sitting in a throne. Although he couldn’t dance due to his injury, his energy was still high as he did a lot of hand and neck movements with the audience repeatedly chanted, “Go Michael! Go Michael!” and got a standing ovation for his efforts. His appearance on the show was part of a strategy to boost sales of his Dangerous album by making several TV appearances, most notably his half-time performance on the Super Bowl and his interview with Oprah Winfrey, which was watched by 90 million people around the world.

In November 1995, Michael took part in a 25th anniversary special saluting the Soul Train television series. Aside from being an anniversary special, it inducted several R&B music stars into the program’s hall of fame, including Michael Jackson, Barry White, Diana Ross, Patti Labelle, Whitney Houston, Al Green and others (notoriously missing were the Godfather of Soul James Brown and Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin).

For some reason, Michael’s performances for the special were filmed on a separate night apart from the main ceremony. Michael did a truly incredible performance of his song “Dangerous” along with his new number one hit “You Are Not Alone.” During the number, a teenage girl came out of the audience and went on to stage to hug Michael, but that was pre-planned before the ceremony.

Over the years, Michael also worked with Don Cornelius to have artists on his record label, MJJ Music, to appear on Soul Train. Artists from his label that performed on the show were his nephews’ group 3T, his sister Rebbie Jackson, Tatyana Ali, a kid hip-hop duo called Quo consisting of Wade Robson and DeWayne Turrentine, Men of Vizion (who recorded the Jacksons’ hit “Show You the Way to Go”) and Brownstone. All of the artists met with good success while on the label. When appearing on Soul Train, they all spoke fondly of working with Michael.

In 2009, the year Michael passed way, he received a posthumous honor as Entertainer of the Year at the Soul Train Awards. Indeed, Michael Jackson’s music, career and legend will never die and he will always touch people around the world for many years to come with “love, peace and soul.”

–Stephen McMillian

Stephen McMillian is a journalist, writer, actor, filmmaker, dancer/performer, soul music and movie historian and Soul Train historian as well as a former Soul Train dancer.

Thanks you to Billyworld99 for originally Posting this story !

The Source:
http://soultrain.com/2013/06/17/soul-train-history-book-the-king-of-pop-michael-jackson/

Last edited:
~~~~~~~Michael: The Last Photo Shoots" is a fascinating behind the scenes look at Michael Jackson's last magazine cover photo shoots and the struggle to make them happen. It is a unique story told through the eyes of several of Michael's closest friends, photographers and stylists that had helped Michael prepare for his planned comeback in 2007.

In 2007, after several years of living over-seas in seclusion, Michael returned to the United States wanting to make a comeback onto the music scene. Taking the cover of L'UOMO Vogue for its October 2007 issue was Michael's first step. On September 14, 2007 in New York, Photographer Bruce Weber and Vogue Fashion Editor / Michael Jackson's personal stylist Rushka Bergman captured the magic of the King of Pop for the 25th Anniversary of the release of Thriller.
On September 24, 2007 in Brooklyn, NY, Michael Jackson did an interview and another photo shoot for Ebony Magazine for its December 2007 issue. This was Michael's first United States interview and magazine story in a decade.
Michael had a love for art and being an artist himself, Michael had said that he had wanted to be photographed in a space "where art lives on forever." Ebony selected the Brooklyn Museum of Art as the location. While many magazine covers were done throughout Michael's career, the Vogue and Ebony shoots were very important to Michael as these were for his comeback. Through these photos, Michael's image as art lives on forever.
Along with never before seen footage of Michael, "Michael: The Last Photo Shoots" contains engaging interviews with Rushka Bergman (Contributing Fashion Editor of L'Uomo Vogue, Vogue Italia and Michael Jackson's personal stylist), Phillip Bloch (widely considered to be one of Hollywood's premier fashion stylists), Bruce Weber (famed photographer and filmmaker) and Kabuki (legendary make-up artist from Northern England known for his unique flair and artistry with make-up and imagery and one of the most exciting talents in fashion today).
There are captivating interviews with Bryan Monroe (an award winning journalist, CNN Politics editor, team leader of the winner of the Pulitzer Price Gold Medal, former Vice President and Editorial Director of Ebony and Jet Magazines and the journalist who conducted the last major interview with the King of Pop - Michael Jackson), Harriett Cole (Life stylist author, nationally syndicated advice columnist, former Editor in Chief of Ebony Magazine and Creative director for Michael Jackson's last cover photo shoot) and Michael Amir (Executive Assistant and Chief of Staff for Michael Jackson).
For further information, please contact Ray Markovich (M: +1-323-401-8032; rjmarkovich@icloud.com).
Raymond J. Markovich
Attorney At Law*

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lkKW0qHpUvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sage (of Sage + The Saints) says one of the highlights of her life was working with Michael Jackson. Some new Behind The Scenes footage was found of the shoot!

A Young Sage & Michael Jackson on the Black or White set.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a9U44IBo7Z4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Making of "Black or White"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PcdlMKp1zqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would the real Michael Jackson please step forward?
Rare outtakes behnd the scenes from Black or White.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oGYl_WA6V_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rehearsals Black Or White

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/47PR6Zr3B0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JomZEhP6t8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Jackson - Behind the scenes - Black or White
"I feel like James Bond"

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-uxdJjCu_I0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Jackson- Vibe Photo Shoot 1995

1995 Jonathan Exley: Vibe Photo Shoot. &#9829;

Quincy Jones's daughter, Kidada Jones convinced Michael to dress up in "hip hop" clothing for a Vibe Phototshoot (Diesel, Tommy Hilfiger and much more). He did it, and here are the results. &#9829;
These photos were all taken at the Neverland Ranch.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DOIFKClC_cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Jackson Ghosts Skeleton Making Of
Rare footage

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-_WWZ3vrKWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thriller - A Metal Tribute To Michael Jackson

Producer Guitarist Bob Kulick on New Michael Jackson Tribute Metal Project

Just in time for Halloween - a KILLER THRILLER, the first ever all metal tribute to the King Of Pop, Michael Jackson, with an all-star line-up that will raise the dead!

Features outstanding performances by Chuck Billy (Testament), Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria), Elias Soriano (Nonpoint), Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust), Phil Campbell (Motörhead), Doug Pinnick (King s X), Chris Jericho (Fozzy) and more!

With the amps turned up to 11 and guitars tuned low, get ready to hear the darker side of such favorites as Billie Jean, Beat It, Rock With You, Black Or White and more!

Chuck Billy (Testament)
Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria)
Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big)
Angelo Moore (Fishbone)
Doug Aldrich
Rudy Sarzo
Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust)
Bruce Kulick (KISS)
Tony Franklin
Priya Panda (Diemonds)
Ron Bumblefoot Thal (Guns N Roses)
Corey Glover (Living Colour)
Phil Campbell (Motörhead)
Elias Soriano (Nonpoint)
Doug Pinnick (King s X)
Chris Jericho (Fozzy)
Paul Dianno (Iron Maiden)
Craig Goldy (Dio)
Lonnie Jordan (War) --Official Press Release

Product Description

1. Thriller - Chuck Billy (Testament)
2. Man In The Mirror - Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria) & Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big)
3. The Way You Make Me Feel - Angelo Moore (Fishbone), Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake), & Rudy Sarzo (Queensrÿche)
4. Black Or White - Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust), Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS), & Tony Franklin (The Firm)
5. Beat It - Priya Panda (Diemonds) & Ron Bumblefoot Thal (Guns N Roses)
6. Billy Jean - Corey Glover (Living Colour) & Phil Campbell (Motörhead)
7. Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) - Elias Soriano (Nonpoint)
8. Rock With You - Doug Pinnick (King s X)
9. Dirty Diana - Chris Jericho (Fozzy)
10. Bad - Paul Dianno (ex-Iron Maiden) & Craig Goldy (Dio)
11. They Don t Care About Us - Icarus Witch
12. Never Can Say Goodbye - Lonnie Jordan (War)
13. Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQK5NUW?

110f0g6.jpg

5lcvmh.jpg

thriller-02.jpg

330se9h.jpg

John Landis on visiting Disney World with Michael, 1984

michaeljacksonjohnlandisdisneyland.jpg

“After Thriller we went to Disney World and I have this photograph in my library that I really treasure which is a really silly photo of Michael Jackson, Mickey and me. The guy took like two pictures when I heard this deafening noise and I looked and I saw this security guy freaking out and talking into his microphone. I turned around and I don’t really know how to explain it but it was the only time in my life that I was truly terrified and I thought, “We’re dead”. It was a sea of people and they completely surrounded this island of grass and they were held back by this little chain and by when I saw a sea of people, it was people as far as you can see in every direction. There were thousands of people, all of whom were hysterical. The kind of hysterical like Beatles, Elvis, Sinatra-hysterical. They were Michael Jackson hysterical. I looked and I thought, “Oh my God”, and it got louder and the screaming and you had to shout to hear the person next to you. And at Disneyland, the characters in those costumes, they’re never allowed to speak and then Mickey looks at me and goes, “Holy shit!” And I don’t know how long it was but out of nowhere this Cadillac limousine, I’ll never forget it, I don’t know here it came from… just *poof*… it was Disney magic, and the security people grabbed Michael, Mickey, and I and throws us into the car with Mickey’s giant head and slams the doors and the chains broke and it was like the ocean, like surf. This wall of people, you know, like the Sorcerer’s apprentice, surround the car. And Mickey and I are just platzing, the driver was like, “I don’t know what to do,” and I said, “Don’t drive you’ll kill somebody!” and Michael was like, “Hi…, Hello”, totally not phased!”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m58Yxym806o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7939812.bin

Michael Jackson walks with the New Westminster police officers down the steps of city hall in 1984

Retired Police Remember Top-Secret MJ Meeting 25 Years Later..
(New Westminster Museum Photos Archives) Published Friday, July 3, 2009 5:38PM PDT​

Michael Jackson was at the top of his game, fresh off his smash album Thriller, when he came to Vancouver in 1984.
He was in town for three sold-out concerts at B.C. Place -- but still made time to accept an invitation to the New Westminster police station.

"They were trying to keep it quite secret," retired police officer Ken McIntosh said. "He was such a public figure."

Michael Jackson walks with the New Westminster police officers down the steps of city hall in 1984. (New Westminster Museum and Archives)

The King of Pop had the New Westminster police force don dark sunglasses and walk with him down the stairs of City Hall, with the intent of possibly using it in a music video.

Despite their best attempt at secrecy, when Jackson and the officers started walking up and down the stairs, people noticed.

"The cars started stopping and people started realizing that was Michael Jackson and started to come up," McIntosh said.

It was never used in a music video, but a photo of Jackson with the officers was featured in his 1988 autobiography Moonwalk.

The book is now on display at the New Westminster museum and archives - along with the uniform and sunglasses everyone wore that day, stamped with the name "Jacksons."

"He was made an honourary member of the New Westminster Police Department at that time, and he was given badge 49," McIntosh said.

He was pop music royalty, and Michael Jackson certainly left his mark on the Royal City and New Westminister, British Columbia to say the least !

The Source:
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/retired-police-remember-top-secret-mj-meeting-1.413570#ixzz2uNyhb09d

Last edited:
062513-sky-ferreira-623.jpg

The Rollingstone Blog Article:

Sky Ferreira on Her Debut 'Night Time, My Time' and Michael Jackson..

thumbs_michael%20jackson%20letter%20sweater,%20stylin%20on%20you.jpg

This week marks the release of Sky Ferreira’s debut Night Time, My Time — an album that’s been five years in the making. The budding pop star started making music at the age of 15, and was signed to Parlophone records by the time she was 17. But constant record label drama and ensuing album delays led to a string of EPs, the second of which unexpectedly hit last year with her infectious single, “Everything Is Embarrassing.” The song topped best of 2012 lists and was remixed by everyone from Twin Shadow and Unicorn kid to Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Since then, she played Fallon, posed as the face of mega-retailer Forever 21, partied with Madonna at the Met Ball, and toured with Vampire Weekend.
How did growing up in Venice Beach influence you?
“I knew he was a singer but I didn’t really realise until after he died how big he was,” explains Ferreira.
“I think it’s because I never saw him in public with tons of people around so it wasn’t weird. I just thought of him as someone who was way older than me.”

I always kind of knew I was going to do music, even though I was the only person in my family to do anything music related. I played piano, but I always wrote lyrics and melodies and then I’d go on Garageband. I just learned how to use the programs on the computer. I always put up what I was working on online. Basically I just hated school so much and I wanted to get out of it, but my grandmother wouldn’t let me dropout. She did hair for Michael Jackson for a long time. I started singing gospel when I was 7 years old. I wasn’t really religious — my mom was. But it was actually Michael who told my mom that I should go to church, just because I liked singing. So that’s how I learned to sing live. That’s why I can’t sing something unless I mean it. I’m not super religious but it felt good singing stuff that mattered to someone.
And yet! She does reveal a morsel about her childhood relationship with Michael Jackson, explaining: “I used to spend my birthdays at Michael Jackson’s house. It was a regular nice house; it wasn’t like he was riding rollercoasters, eating cotton candy by himself, you know.”

The Source:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...time-my-time-and-drugs-20131030#ixzz2jj4TXD5X

Scream-michael-jackson-11632976-940-1325.jpg

The Saturday Scream
Saturday, March 26th, 2011

Once upon a time, my Saturday started off like any normal day.
I was calm. Rested.

MichaelMeditating-web.jpg

Things were good in the land of Tinalicious. The Hubs and Me, we were, you know,
carefree and happy to be heading to Fort Wayne for dinner and a little shopping.

JanetMichaelScreamSit2.jpg

So we mozy'd on out to the car.

MJStrut.gif

But then I decided I'd like to grab a Michael Jackson CD from my studio outside. After all, road trips are always better with some MJ tunes playing.

ScreamHeadphonesEyesClosed-web.jpg

So I went into my studio, and headed for my stereo and CD's. But WTH?!
My stereo was GONE!

ScreamMad2.jpg

I don't think I have to tell you what I did next...

Screaming2.gif

Needless to say, I was so ticked. I was having bad thoughts about the
low-life thieves who went into my studio, touched my things (EWW!),
and then took my stereo!

scream90.jpg

But I knew I had to calm down. So I took a moment to pause and collect myself. And I needed to figure out what to do to replace my stereo, which was almost brand new.

ScreamReflection2.jpg

Then it kind of hit me. I knew what to do. I bit my lip, I was so excited.

ScreamBiteLip2-web.jpg

I am sick of CD's, AND my cell phone is eligible for upgrade in just a few weeks. So the solution is really quite simple: mp3 player + phone = iPhone! Yay!

ScreamBigSmile.jpg

So the Hubs is gonna get me an iPhone.
This calls for a Happy Dance, don't you think?

MJJanetScream.gif

And now all is well in the land of Tinalicious once again.
And the moral of the story, boys and girls?
Thieves are pathetic losers and they may make you SCREAM.
But sometimes you may end up with a new iPhone.
And maybe even a lollipop.

Lollipop2.jpg

(All photos are from the Michael Jackson short film, Scream. )

~ Thanks Tinalicious for your Michael Jackson moments :heart:

The Source:
http://www.tinalicious.com/2011/03/the-saturday-scream.html

william-shatner-live-guitar-corbis-650-80.jpg

The Blog Article:

William Shatner: The 10 records that changed my Life !
By Joe Bosso February 14, 2014, 13:35 GMT​

The acting legend, celebrated author and singer on the music that matters most!

No. 7# Michael Jackson's Thriller

&#8220;This album is a no-brainer. It just might be the greatest of them all. Everybody loves it, of course &#8211; it&#8217;s all wonderful.

&#8220;We&#8217;ve seen him perform it, and the image of him on stage captures our imagination perhaps more than anything else. He was truly a supreme performer.&#8221;

103112-kirk-2.jpg

William Shatner​

Note: Michael Jackson's favorite number was the number 7

To read the full article:
The Source:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/william-shatner-the-10-records-that-changed-my-life-594519/8

Last edited:
DEV_HYNES_CRx633x375.jpg

Photography by Marley Kate | Styling by Grant Woolhead

The Blog Article:

Blood On the Tracks..02.10.2014
By Jason Lamphier

In a pop world dominated by sneering EDM sexpots, roaring cartoon pinup girls, and self-aggrandizing hip-hop filthmasters, Devonté Hynes is an anomaly. The singer, songwriter, and producer&#8217;s music &#8212; a sleek, midtempo blend of R&B, funk, old-school hip-hop, and jazz &#8212; couldn&#8217;t be farther removed from the raunchy, calculated, club-bound singles currently ruling Top 40 radio. Instead, Cupid Deluxe, his latest album under the name Blood Orange, feels loose, warm, nostalgic, and lived-in. Many of its tracks conjure images of a flickering, late-night Times Square as seen from the backseat of a speeding taxi cab. And not the Times Square of today &#8212; rather, the seedy, gritty, sometimes dangerous Times Square of yesteryear, when the district was heaving with arcades, peep shows, hookers, cross-dressers, crooks, break dancers, and boom boxes.

Hynes&#8217;s sound is off-center, even anachronistic, but in the most refreshing way possible. When Cupid Deluxe dropped this past November, it quickly became one of the most widely adored releases of 2013. A project initially inspired by Michael Jackson&#8217;s Bad that placed Hynes front and center, the record eventually morphed into a soulful collaboration with friends and artists he admires, a love letter not only to the New York City he romanticized as a teenager but to the creative mecca the British transplant now calls home. After a few closer listens, it also reveals itself to be one of the most refined, subtly queer albums in recent history, an ambiguous, androgynous collection of songs about self-doubt, confusion, disillusion, desperation, and, ultimately, empowerment.

But if 2013 marked a watershed in Hynes&#8217;s career, the musician will also remember it as one of the most devastating years of his life. On December 16, while leaving a memorial for Lou Reed at Harlem&#8217;s Apollo Theater, he received a call notifying him that firemen were gathering outside his East Village apartment building. He raced downtown only to discover that his fourth-floor studio had burned down. The blaze, which Hynes says was caused by poor electrical wiring, ravaged his unit so badly that virtually nothing &#8212; not even its walls &#8212; remained. Hynes lost nearly all of his possessions, including clothes, compositions, his computer, his piano, his travel visa, and his two-month-old puppy, Cupid. &#8220;Everything from my life is gone,&#8221; he tweeted the following morning. Hynes had already been suffering from intense panic attacks before the tragedy, but then, two days before he turned 28, his girlfriend, Samantha Urbani (of the New York band Friends), rushed him to the hospital for exhaustion. &#8220;I actually can&#8217;t even recall most of what happened,&#8221; he says. &#8220;I just woke up with IVs attached to me and freaked out. That was when I realized. It was very surreal.&#8221; It was the first time in his life that Hynes forgot it was his birthday.

Hynes grew up in Essex, northeast of London, and began studying the cello and piano as a child. By age 12 he&#8217;d abandoned his formal studies and was teaching himself to play drums, guitar, and bass. At 18, he joined his first band, the dance-punk outfit Test Icicles. The move landed him a deal with Domino Records, but after one record and a U.S. tour, Hynes quit the group and formed Lightspeed Champion, a solo indie-folk act that brought him to Brooklyn in 2006. He recorded two albums under that moniker and collaborated with the Chemical Brothers (on their 2007 album, We Are the Night) and Basement Jaxx (on 2009&#8217;s Scars), but by 2011, Lightspeed Champion was on indefinite hiatus and Hynes had released Coastal Grooves, his Prince-flavored, new wave&#8211;inspired debut album as Blood Orange.

Call it a lack of discipline or a bad case of musical ADD; Hynes&#8217;s story is actually just the opposite. Much like another musical chameleon, David Bowie, he has an insatiable urge to experiment and evolve and isn&#8217;t afraid of failing. &#8220;You know, musically, you can&#8217;t actually go wrong,&#8221; Hynes says. &#8220;Nothing bad is ever gonna happen from anyone trying an idea. You can just maybe not like what you&#8217;ve done&#8212;so try something else or try again.&#8221;

It&#8217;s a freezing-cold Friday in mid-December &#8212; just three days before Hynes&#8217;s life will be turned upside down &#8212; and he has asked to meet at a corner outside a pet store on Manhattan&#8217;s Lower East Side. He&#8217;s just been there to purchase a carrier for Cupid, the Maltese-Chihuahua he named after the new record. Hynes is dressed in a dirt-colored wool trench coat, a dark blue, blouse-like shirt, skintight black pants, sporty sneakers, and a black baseball cap that reads &#8220;KING OF POP: MICHAEL JACKSON 1958-2009&#8221; in bright red letters. He hasn&#8217;t eaten lunch, so we make our way to his favorite juice bar in the neighborhood.

Hynes admits he isn&#8217;t exactly sure where he or his latest alter ego fit into the modern musical landscape, but he is certain of one thing: Though he&#8217;s written material for marquee divas like Grace Jones, Kylie Minogue, Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine, and even Britney Spears (sadly, the two songs he penned for Britney Jean were scrapped), he&#8217;s not interested in becoming a global pop star himself. &#8220;I don&#8217;t view myself as a singer,&#8221; he says, adding that he&#8217;d much rather stay behind the scenes, develop new sounds for other vocalists, and just lie low in general (he chucked his iPhone in late November because he was overwhelmed by all the attention he was getting). He hates touring and balks at the idea of playing more than two consecutive concerts at a time. In fact, he agreed to only four performances to promote Cupid Deluxe, one of which he booked mainly because it was at a venue right down the street from his apartment.

Twenty minutes later, we&#8217;re at Hynes&#8217;s East Village apartment near St. Mark&#8217;s Church, a storied quarter of the city once home to downtown legends Allen Ginsberg and Arthur Russell, the latter of whom Hynes considers a key influence in his work.

Dimly lit except for the fading afternoon sun streaming in from the window and the glow of the Christmas lights he&#8217;s strewn around it, the space exudes as much character and inspiration and soul as the music on Cupid Deluxe. Stacks of art books, old copies of Vogue, and boxes of worn-out cassettes cover the floor. Shelves mounted on one of the room&#8217;s exposed brick walls showcase what is essentially a shrine to his other musical idols &#8212; one holds three vintage magazines whose covers feature musician-svengali Malcolm McLaren, Philip Glass, and Michael Jackson; another sports an assortment of still-packaged Jackson trading cards and buttons of the singer from the &#8217;80s next to a plastic-covered 1965 John Lennon book that Hynes says is written in &#8220;Spanglish.&#8221;

A lot of his music is gone, his Michael Jackson memorabilia is gone, his puppy is gone.
&#8220;I was already feeling very scared about mortality in general, and after this it was just like, Anything can happen &#8212; at any time. I could have been in that apartment. Luckily I wasn&#8217;t,&#8221; Hynes says. &#8220;I just have to do things to make me happy because&#8230; what else is there?&#8221;

dev-hynes-gq-e1396645660938.jpg

The Source:
http://www.out.com/entertainment/mu...-hynes-blood-orange-saved-pop-music?page=full

Last edited:
michaeljacksonbadpb.jpg

10 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Michael Jackson..
Aug 29, 2014 By D.L. Chandler..​

Beloved singer, entertainer, and songwriter Michael Jackson and his unfortunate passing in June of 2009 shocked the globe, with fans across various nations still mourning the loss of the “King Of Pop.” With his brand still strong and his legacy largely intact, Jackson was as enigmatic as he was talented.

While today (August 29) would have marked his 54th birthday, NewsOne fondly remembers Michael Jackson as a peerless superstar that has influenced some of music’s biggest current stars. Below, we list 10 facts that casual fans may not have known about the notoriously private Michael Jackson.

1. Michael Jackson Is The Highest-Earning Deceased Artist: Besting the vaunted Rock and Roll artist Elvis Presley and former Beatles member singer-songwriter John Lennon, Michael Jackson has been recognized by the Guinness Book Of World Records in a new category for Highest-Earning Deceased Artist, gaining the top honor. In the first year after his passing in 2009, Jackson’s estate raked in a reported $1 billion.

2. Michael Jackson Was A Shrewd Businessman: While many viewed Jackson as a boyish and playful figure, Michael Jackson birthday underneath that exterior was the mind of a man who made investments that continue to pay off to this day. In 1985, he wisely purchased the rights to 250 Beatles backlogged songs penned by Lennon and Paul McCartney for $47 million. In 1995, Jackson sold a portion of the catalog to Sony for $95 million, resulting in the powerful joint venture music publishing company Sony/ATV, with annual revenues hovering around $1 billion. This doesn’t include his many endorsement deals, licensing, and other streams of revenue Jackson has generated from his name.

3. Michael Jackson Owns The Distinction Of Having The Biggest Recording Contract Ever: Nine months after his passing, the estate of Michael Jackson signed a deal with Sony Records that gives the company access to a vast vault of unreleased recordings for a whopping $250 million. Ten albums are expected to be released by 2017, including the recent soundtrack to the tour documentary “This Is It.”

579666424.jpg

4. Hackers Broke In To Online Servers And Got Access To 50,000 Michael Jackson Tracks: Michael Jackson’s music was a victim of an online hacker attack, with the thieves downloading 50,000 songs not intended for the public. Sony quickly plugged the hole in their security and vowed to move ahead with the release of new music.

5. DJs And Clubs Nationwide Have Sparked Off Annual Parties In Michael Jackson’s Name: From Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles; New York City; and all points in between, big name DJs have crafted themed parties in honor of Michael Jackson. Celebrated producer and hip-hop artist DJ Spinna has also taken his well-attended (and friendly) “MJ vs. Prince” dance parties all across the nation.

6. “Billie Jean” Was First Video From A Black Artist To Air On MTV: “Billie Jean” was the second single from Michael Jackson’s sixth solo album, “Thriller.” Produced by Jackson and the legendary Quincy Jones, the track got the video treatment and sparked off a revolution of sorts. Fans nationwide would seek to imitate Jackson’s hairstyle and dance moves and the clip is considered largely responsible for putting MTV in to the mainstream conversation.

Watch “Billie Jean” here:
[youtube]Zi_XLOBDo_Y[/youtube]

7. Thriller Wasn’t The Only Hit Album In Jackson’s Catalog: Five of Michael Jackson’s solo studio albums count among the highest-selling records of all time. Thriller’s predecessor, “Off The Wall,” which was released in 1979, has sold a worldwide 20 million, which pales considerably next to “Thriller,” sitting at 110 million sold. The albums “Bad,” “Dangerous,” and “HIStory” have also sold well into millions as well.

8. Michael Jackson Is The Most-Awarded Artist Of All Time: With 23 Guinness World Records, 40 Billboard Awards, 13 Grammys, and 26 American Music Awards, Michael Jackson has won more awards than any other musical artist. Jackson has also received congressional honors for his humanitarian outreach efforts.

Watch Jackson’s “We Are the World” video here:
[youtube]M9BNoNFKCBI[/youtube]

9. Michael Jackson Inspired Artists Outside Of His Genre: Usher, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, and Justin Bieber owe a great credit to Michael Jackson and have all called him an influence. But even rockers, such as Adam Lambert, Green Day, and female superstars like Beyoncé and Madonna, have all said they’ve looked up to Jackson. Even the brash Diddy called Jackson a “hero” of his.

Watch Usher and Jackson perform here:
[youtube]sq0H5jcHOvE[/youtube]

10. Michael Jackson’s Death Shifted MTV’s Programming In Tribute: In the hours after his death, media giant MTV – which had largely moved from its original music video-only programming – went back to its roots and aired hours upon hours of Michael Jackson videos and footage. The in-house news team even took time away from talking usual celeb fare and focused solely on the career of Jackson. Few other stars have commanded such a response.

* We the Fans knew of course but there are some facts here I didn't know ! I hope this article makes it easier for others to know him as well as we do ! :agree:

The Source:
http://newsone.com/2033063/michael-jackson-birthday-2

:heart:

Captain-Eo-11adj-2,medium_large.1403598176.jpg

Michael Jackson: Captain Eo
Photography by samemersonphotography

The Blog Article:

Behind The Scenes with Michael Jackson - Power is Still
By Sam Emerson Photography (All Rights Reserved)

028-Captain-EO,medium_large.1403598149.jpg

Michael Jackson: Captain EO

Dangerous-6-Moscow-1993,large.1403598165.jpg

Dangerous (Moscow 1993)

MMJ-SmoothCriminal,large.1405143884.jpg

Michael Jackson / Smooth Criminal

SmoothCriminal,large.1405143868.jpg

Michael Jackson / Smooth Criminal

MJJ-LeaaveMeAlone,large.1405143906.jpg

Michael Jackson / Leave Me Alone

Jackson-Michael-BTS,medium_large.1405143887.jpg

Michael Jackson / Leave Me Alone

MJJ-TMZ,medium_large.1405143897.jpg

Michael Jackson

MJJ-Pepsi2-7adj,medium_large.1405143902.jpg

Michael Jackson

medium.1402647131.jpg

About: Sam Emerson, SMPSP, is a unit photographer for motion pictures, television and music videos.

From La Bamba to Michael Jackson's Bad, The Dukes of Hazzard to Pirates of the Caribbean, Sam Emerson is a bi-coastal southern gentleman with an creative eye.

The Source:
http://samemersonphotography.com/albums/music/

Last edited:
Re: Reflections on Michael: Articles, Blogs & Stories

I'm pretty blue today anyway, so maybe I shouldn't have started reading and re-reading these unbelievable wonderful articles on Michael-and of course, now I'm crying, but I think this whole thread deserves a huge bump.

:ciao: barbee0715

Thank you so much for visiting us and sharing your love and tears with us little MJ sister !

Please don't cry out of sadness angel I promise you that Michael is counting all of our tears and everyone including Michael will now see how big your beautiful heart truly is :heart"

:group: Michael-ing you right now :bow:

Picture+31.png

Photography by gettyimages

The Blog Article:

jacksonnormal-301xXx80.jpg

The Best of Body Art Galleries - Michael Jackson
By Anubis Vrussh

Colombian artist Anubis Vrussh paints on the body of a model a portrait of US pop star Michael Jackson, during an exhibition of art, comics, and body art, in Cali, department of Valle del Cauca, Colombia, on June 27, 2009.

MJbdypainting.jpg

302920-dtgall-body-art-gallery-landscape-650x488-.jpg

Picture+32.png

The Source:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/gallery-e6frf7jo-1225781114562?page=53

Last edited:
Mournful-Katy-Perry-Decided-to-Keep-Her-Locks-Black-672x372-Recovered-672x372.jpg

The Time Blog Article:

Russell Crowe Recalls When Michael Jackson Used To Prank Call Him
By Ed Biggs in Lifestyle / Showbiz on 01 April 2015

michael-jackson-harassed-russell-crowe-with-prank-calls-for-three-years-straight-335264.jpg

Russell Crowe &#8212; a man who once threw a phone at a hotel concierge for showing too much &#8220;attitude&#8221; &#8212; is not a person most people would want to prank.

But according to a story Crowe told the The Guardian, there was one man who dared to play practical jokes on the gruff Australian star: Michael Jackson.

&#8220;For two or three f****** years,&#8221; Crowe said. &#8220;I never met him, never shook his hand, but he found out the name I stayed in hotels under, so it didn&#8217;t matter where I was, he&#8217;d ring up do this kind of thing, like you did when you were 10, you know. &#8216;Is Mr Wall there? Is Mrs Wall there? Are there any Walls there? Then what&#8217;s holding the roof up? Ha ha.&#8217; You&#8217;re supposed to grow out of doing that, right?&#8221; The actor added &#8220;He&#8217;d ring me and in a strong voice and say, &#8216;there is an emergency and you need to leave the building. I&#8217;d ask, &#8216;Who is this?&#8217; And he&#8217;d say, &#8216;Do not worry Russell, just kidding, this is Michael.'&#8221;

Of course the story can&#8217;t be confirmed by Michael Jackson himself, but the image of the pop icon prank calling Crowe is so perfect, we certainly hope it&#8217;s true.

The Sources:
http://time.com/3765311/russell-crowe-michael-jackson-pranks/
http://zntent.com/russell-crowe-spoke-out-that-michael-jackson-prank-called-him-for-two-years/

Last edited:
michael-jackson-subway-ride.jpg

Page 9 of 56: Michael Jackson The King of POP

The All That Is Interesting Blog Article:
When The New York City Subway Was The Most Dangerous Place On Earth !

By Alec on July 2nd, 2014​

pope-shot.jpg

The New York City subway of today is what one might lightly call “starkly different” from its predecessors. In the 1980s, over 250 felonies were committed every week in the system, making the New York subway the most dangerous mass transit system in the world. Over the course of a decade, New York public transportation would lose over 300 million riders, largely due to its reputation as a hotbed of crime and drug use.

In the gallery below, we take a look at what the New York City subways were like in the 1980s !

no-admittance.jpg

The Source:
http://all-that-is-interesting.com/...medium=referral&utm_campaign=outbrainglobal#9

[youtube]-VhFiSHeBn4[/youtube]
Property of the NFL

The NFL Youtube Blog Article:

Michael Jackson Revolutionizes the Super Bowl Halftime Show | NFL

There will never be another or anyone that can compare to Michael Jackson's NFL performance in our lifetime ! This was not any performance this was what they meant when they said the MAIN EVENT ! This was a SHOW not just an NFL performance like all other artists !

MJ00.jpg

Published on Feb 12, 2016

Take a look at how Michael Jackson changed the way the Super Bowl Halftime Show would be for years to come.

Michael Jackson - Super Bowl (Complete Version) (HQ)
[youtube]idg8TNknvDU&ebc[/youtube]​

Super Bowl Half Time Show performed in California at January 31, 1993, it includes Jam, Billie Jean, Black or White, We are the World and Heal the World.

ac7c59375b34b0408b29a3399091e714.jpg

88702233.jpg

Images by Sports Illustrated

michaeljackson_edi_3181066k.jpg

If you would like to join the NFL Youtube page:

Subscribe to NFL on YouTube: https://goo.gl/VmTK0M

For all things NFL, visit the league's official website at http://www.nfl.com/

Watch NFL Now: https://www.nfl.com/now
Start your free trial of NFL Game Pass: https://www.nfl.com/gamepass
Listen to NFL podcasts: http://www.nfl.com/podcasts
Fantasy Football: http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball
Watch the NFL network: http://nflnonline.nfl.com/
Download the NFL mobile app: https://www.nfl.com/apps
2015 NFL Schedule: http://www.nfl.com/schedules
Buy tickets to watch your favorite team: http://www.nfl.com/tickets
Shop NFL: http://www.nflshop.com/source/bm-nflc...

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NFL
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NFL
Follow us on Instagram: https://instagram.com/nfl/

Category
Entertainment

License
Standard YouTube License

The NFL Youtube Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhFiSHeBn4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
[youtube]aJ8LfI-qhPo[/youtube]

The Entertainment Weekly Blog Article:

zimmer_0.jpg

Constance Zimmer received a life-sized Michael Jackson doll for her 16th birthday !
Posted June 14 2016 — 12:20 PM EDT

On Jimmy Kimmel Live!

UnREAL star Constance Zimmer was a Michael Jackson superfan growing up in Newport Beach, Calif., so, naturally, her parents gave her a totally normal gift for her 16th birthday: a life-sized doll of the King of Pop.

During her appearance on Monday night’s Jimmy Kimmel Live, Zimmer shared that her parents had the doll made to present her with a pair of Michael Jackson concert tickets. She was thrilled… until her parents made her drive around the block in a limo with the life-sized doll waving out the window. “It was incredibly uncomfortable,” she said with a laugh.

Zimmer kept the doll in her room for another two years. “It was very awkward when boyfriends came over,” she admitted.

Her connection to Jackson didn’t end there. In 1984, she happened to be an extra in the singer’s infamous hair-burning Pepsi commerical. Get the details in the clip below.

The Source:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/14/constance-zimmer-michael-jackson-doll

^^^

Why are people in the audience laughing when they hear about Michael´s scalp burn? :pth:

Even if they do not know the whole story, it´s just really sick to laugh about people getting hurt ...

Back