Rihanna Will Receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2016 MTV VMAs

I will only quote the MTV execs here.

After Billie Jean, Jackson’s Beat It followed the same year. Next came Thriller, a 14-minute short film, and the first of its kind. "For the first time in the history of MTV, we spotted big time ratings spikes," says Garland. "We were averaging back in those days like a 24 hour rating of 1.2, but every time we would play Thriller, we’d jump up to an 8 or 10. We learned a lot about programming."

Jackson‘s videos helped break the color barrier at MTV. More videos by Black artists, most notably Prince, were then aired.

"Fortunately, Michael Jackson helped us to redefine the musical parameters of MTV, "says Brindle, "and to help its audience become accepting of a more diverse group of artists and genres".

MJ put them on the map. So they can have a seat with their disrespect.

And Beyoncé can have all the awards of the world and her fans can use them to brag against her contemporaries but it becomes ridiculous when they start using them as a way to brag against legends like MJ. No Moonman, no Grammys, no nothing will make Beyoncé bigger than him and even she knows that.

respect77;4163358 said:
I will only quote the MTV execs here.

MJ put them on the map. So they can have a seat with their disrespect.

And Beyoncé can have all the awards of the world and her fans can use them to brag against her contemporaries but it becomes ridiculous when they start using them as a way to brag against legends like MJ. No Moonman, no Grammys, no nothing will make Beyoncé bigger than him and even she knows that.

Beyonce herself is cool with me (she's an MJ stan), but her fans/stans are legit OBSESSED with putting her on Michael's level.
Go on Twitter ANY day of the week and you'll have a bunch of delusional Beyonce fans/stans going on AD NAUSEAM about how "she's surpassed Michael", or about how "Michael wasn't a good all around performer compared to Beyonce."
Hell, they make jokes about Michael's death on a regular and more then ANY other fan base I've seen.

It's really sad honestly because if she was truly on THAT level then her fans/stans wouldn't have to constantly tear down any other artist, let alone the GOAT Who's the reason that she herself exist as an entertainer in the first place.

Last edited:
Go on Twitter ANY day of the week and you'll have a bunch of delusional Beyonce fans/stans going on AD NAUSEAM about how "she's surpassed Michael", or about how "Michael wasn't a good all around performer compared to Beyonce."

Which only shows MJ IS the measure and no, Beyonce did not surpass him. Otherwise they would not have to go on about this. LOL.

Which only shows MJ IS the measure and no, Beyonce did not surpass him. Otherwise they would not have to go on about this. LOL.

Exactly. :yes:

Edit: And when MJ fans come for their dumb asses they wanna act like their the ones being attacked after sitting their saying some mess like "I don't understand how you can stan for a dead person", as if their fave is immortal.

F*** em, I say. :)

Last edited:
I haven't read through this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been answered...Did MTV announce it as the 'Michael Jackson video vanguard award' or just 'Video vanguard award'?

A simple introductory video of what the vanguard award symbolizes would have cut a lot of back and forth in this thread lol!! If when they give out the award, they do a simple 1 minute video of what the vanguard award means and why the artist deserves it...

Because the award has nothing to do with MJ outside of the fact he's the prime example of what a 'vanguard' is.. Someone that leads the way through innovations..

A simple introductory video of what the vanguard award symbolizes would have cut a lot of back and forth in this thread lol!! If when they give out the award, they do a simple 1 minute video of what the vanguard award means and why the artist deserves it...

Because the award has nothing to do with MJ outside of the fact he's the prime example of what a 'vanguard' is.. Someone that leads the way through innovations..

They have done that in the past, many many times. It seems perfectly clear what the award stood for. In this day and age, not so much.

The guard has officially changed. MTV will NEVER be what it once was; it's a shadow of its former self. The quality of videos will also never be the same. It just is what it is. I like Rihanna, but is she a vanguard of videos lol? No. No she is not. But the criteria to be honored with an award aren't as difficult to meet compared to 20 years ago. Time keeps moving, a new generation comes of age and tastes change. It's sad to see, but it makes me cherish how intensely well-done videos used to be, Michael's in particular.

What ya gonna do.... :unsure:

The guard has officially changed. MTV will NEVER be what it once was; it's a shadow of its former self. The quality of videos will also never be the same. It just is what it is. I like Rihanna, but is she a vanguard of videos lol? No. No she is not. But the criteria to be honored with an award aren't as difficult to meet compared to 20 years ago. Time keeps moving, a new generation comes of age and tastes change. It's sad to see, but it makes me cherish how intensely well-done videos used to be, Michael's in particular.

What ya gonna do.... :unsure:

I agree!
Despite the delusional fans/stans of current artists trying to put their faves on Michael's level I have yet to see ANY current act create an album that made an impact like Thriller (or any of Michael's albums TBH).

It's like I always say.
You'd have to combine Adele, Rihanna, and Beyonce (the three best artists right now) to even begin to equal Michael because separately even the best current acts can't hold a candle to him.

And for me this isn't even a Michael did it first so by default he did it best thing, or anything like that.

Michael just truly is better then anyone out right now.
That's not to say that some artists now aren't good because some are just not as good as Michael. :yes:

The industry changed along time ago video making isnt what is was. Record companies arent prepared to spend what they did on videos when they were the main source of promo. Imo its 20 years since the peak of the video. Mtv awards were always seen as abit of fun not really to be taken seriously.whether thats changed i dont know as i havnt seen it in 20 years

I'm going to have to give Rhianna this... First and foremost for her to become the second largest selling female artist above Mariah Carey is a feat to be recognized.. Especially considering that we are In the Download age and albums don't sell half of what they used to.. That's big guys!! Secondly she has started trends and has influenced music culture.. While we have had Caribbean influenced music through the years - several several big artists adopted an island style to there songs from Beyoncé to Bruno Mars and many more.. Also her fashion has been imitated very much!

in no way am I a big fan of hers, do I like her music.. sure! have I owned any of her music..no!

I think people are not realizing the influence she has simply because what she influences doesn't get talked about..

^ Did she actually outsell Mariah or did she get to the second place because of the new calculation?

^ I have no idea about how the new calculation works.!? all I know is it states she sold 200 million albums and is #2 under Madonna.. and total certifications just over 197

These new calculations.. how do they work?

Also her fashion has been imitated very much!
Hm, not trying to take anything away from Rih, but when it comes to fashion I don't see her influence because she herself doesn't really have any signature styles (when I say signature styles I mean like Mikey's glove, fedora, loafers, etc)
She herself is fashionable though, and VERY pretty.
I've never seen her in an ugly outfit.

I think people are not realizing the influence she has simply because what she influences doesn't get talked about..
Now this I agree with, even though it's not necessarily about influence, and more so about praise IMO.

I believe that if Rihanna had the media exalting and worshipping her in the way that they do Beyonce on a constant, and in the way that they do Adele after she drops an album then she would be seen as the huge star she truly is.
Either way she's doing great for herself though. :)

Last edited:
^ I am speaking of specifically her style.. There was not many females that combined a grunge/hip hop style together the way she did in pop culture... I've seen Beyoncé, Rita Ora, and various other female artists that would adopt those looks on occasion. I am not saying she is the ultimate fashion icon but women have def. taken a page out of her book.. The same way that reggae style into her pop music.. It became a 'thing' once she did it..

KOPV;4163881 said:
^ I am speaking of specifically her style.. There was not many females that combined a grunge/hip hop style together the way she did in pop culture... I've seen Beyoncé, Rita Ora, and various other female artists that would adopt those looks on occasion. I am not saying she is the ultimate fashion icon but women have def. taken a page out of her book.. The same way that reggae style into her pop music.. It became a 'thing' once she did it..

Oh!
I understand now.
I agree with you too.
I've heard quite a few songs and have seen quite a few videos that remind me of Pon de Replay with its grunge simple style.:yes:

Michael has his cropped pants,
white socks
sequinned gloves,
plastered fingers
Smooth criminal
stripes white & blue assemble,
suspenders and all
fedora titled at a certain angle
black or white fan blowing tails
Billy Jean black sequinned jacket
That's how he makes fashion his own.
At any one time you flash any of the images of above,you will know it's the king of pop, Michael Jackson.
That's how he meshes fashion to call it his own. That's how he makes his signature EPIC!

And on a side note......
Gwen Stfani fashion sense isn't too bad either.

Last edited:
KOPV;4163719 said:
I'm going to have to give Rhianna this... First and foremost for her to become the second largest selling female artist above Mariah Carey is a feat to be recognized.. Especially considering that we are In the Download age and albums don't sell half of what they used to.. That's big guys!! Secondly she has started trends and has influenced music culture.. While we have had Caribbean influenced music through the years - several several big artists adopted an island style to there songs from Beyoncé to Bruno Mars and many more.. Also her fashion has been imitated very much!

in no way am I a big fan of hers, do I like her music.. sure! have I owned any of her music..no!

She is no video vanguard. Regardless if she sold billions.

^ And next year the person that wins the vanguard award wont be a 'vanguard' either.. us MJ fans tend to say this most years...

^ And next year the person that wins the vanguard award wont be a 'vanguard' either.. us MJ fans tend to say this most years...

Well we'll see next year. If they give the award, at all.

She deserves it, she has an amazing career with 14 number one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 in 11 years and she has always had some amazing music videos.

Back