Rihanna Will Receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2016 MTV VMAs

Thought the article was silly-no one can live up to his standards so just take his name off.
It gives people something of excellence to strive for, actually.

And he's wrong about fans treating the videos like event tv. It WAS event tv. 500 million people watched Black or White. They weren't all hard core fans.

I'm still irritated that they took Sammy Davis Jr.'s name off the Soul Train Heritage Award.

Terrible if that's true re: Sammy.

Back on topic, VMAs don't have to give out the award every year. It should really only be given on rare occasions where it's justified. And in this case it's not. But I haven't watched the VMAs in a long time because the art of the music video is somewhat lost these days so it feels silly to dish out awards under the pretence that they are for the music video medium. Let me be clear, they are not. They are handed out to whomever had a big hit and is popular. They are an embarassment and irrelevant in 2016.

That said, they do keep Michael's name in the psyche of the youth and at least serve as a beacon of rememberance to an artform that was once extremely influential and important, shone with creativity and innovation - where Michael Jackson reigned supreme.

Just to clarify, the video vanguard award is not necessarily for best videos.. it's a lifetime achievement award for those who heavily effected MTV culture.. The video portion is kept in because video directors have won it for the work they've done on videos and the effect it had on MTV..

If people like LL Cool J, Tom Petty, R.E.M can win for the influence they had on MTV culture, I don't see why Rhianna could not.

The award has very little to do with MJ or his level of work aside for the fact it was named AFTER him because of the work he did and the impact he made..

Just to clarify, the video vanguard award is not necessarily for best videos.. it's a lifetime achievement award for those who heavily effected MTV culture.. The video portion is kept in because video directors have won it for the work they've done on videos and the effect it had on MTV..

If people like LL Cool J, Tom Petty, R.E.M can win for the influence they had on MTV culture, I don't see why Rhianna could not.

The award has very little to do with MJ or his level of work aside for the fact it was named AFTER him because of the work he did and the impact he made..

Then it's even more preposterous that someone as young as Rihanna should receive a lifetime achievement award.

^^Yeah, how come someone with 10+ years in showbiz can have such lifetime achievement award but when Michael recieved it he had a quarter of a century working?

^ well the award was established in 1984.. so within Michaels first album since (Bad) it was established he earned it and it became named after him.. lol! Can't really top that!

I have to say I don't think people are giving her the credit she deserves.. I mean who else (that hasn't won and still relevant) really earned it more? I have read that she is the second largest selling female artist.. Considering her first album was in 2005 during an era that albums don't sell what they used to.. that's huge!

Give Adele another album or two she will get this award, watch!

By that, does that mean just pop culture in general? I'm just asking-does it always have to be pop or do country artists, for example, be eligible for a lifetime achievement award. I guess that would only be if MTV played their videos, but I didn't realize MTV played any videos anymore-and hasn't for years.

Does the person have to be alive to win? (Off to Wikipedia).

Barbee, a non pop start can win.. they have, I think generally within this millennium though Pop stars tend to get more attention as to what influences "MTV culture".. which is a open ended thing 'MTV culture'...

TBH I think that we're all over-analyzing the award's criteria, and the whole situation in general.
You all have to realize that MTV has started a pattern of giving it away yearly so someone HAS to get it, and you also have to realize that any and all of the awards recipients aren't going to be on MJ's level no matter what (although some people that get the award are obviously more deserving then others).

The award being named after Michael also keeps it in people's minds that Michael took the art of making music videos to a level that no one else did before, and that no one has raised the bar higher then Michael.

The award is actually very fitting for Michael because he is a vanguard in every sense of the word.

I really doubt the Vanguard award was conceived of as a lifetime achievement award initially - albeit, it may have been reworded as that since. This is surely evidenced in the fact that leading and innovative music video directors have won the award. The award recognises an artist's outstanding contributions to the music video field. In context it's the top award dished out at an award ceremony for music videos. MTV may have found ways to branch outside of that one medium and may try to reinvent these awards as the landscape of 'MTV culture' shifts but that's what they always were and what they continue to stand for - at the very least until MTV renames these simply the MTV Awards and stops bothering to reward things like editing, cinematography etc.

I think they should return to the old format of giving out the award every few years. It retains its significance that way.

Well done to Rihanna. Can't wait to see her performance.

Rihanna doesn't have much in the way of her videography. But she's doing well and for this generation is practically a veteran. The award is more akin to a "generally remained successful for a while" trophy now anyway.

This is like creating the Marshall Mathers/Eminem Award for Rapping and awarding it to Justin Bieber.

Garbage. This award lost all merit to me now.

Again this award was only named after MJ, the award was around before Michaels name was tied to it.. IDK if this is true but I read an article that his name is going to be removed. This exactly my main fear, has been the past few years as I've noticed they use MJ's name less an less tying to the award...

Again this award was only named after MJ, the award was around before Michaels name was tied to it.. IDK if this is true but I read an article that his name is going to be removed. This exactly my main fear, has been the past few years as I've noticed they use MJ's name less an less tying to the award...

Actually to me the trend appears to be the opposite. There were long periods after 1990 where MJ's name was scarcely associated with the award.

Here's the Red Hot Chili Peppers receiving simply the 'Video Vanguard' award from Chris Rock in 2000. Michael Jackson isn't mentioned once. Nor does his name appear on screen even - going one worse than the previous occasion in 1998 when Michael's name appeared for all of two seconds on the screen when Beastie Boys won in 1998 (he wasn't mentioned at all then either).

I for one think it's crazy the way people have pulled out their torches and pitchforks and are GOING OFF about Rihanna getting the award when out of all the people that have won the award she's hardly the least deserving recipient.
nail_polish.png

Last edited:
MTW called the award since 2003 "Lifetime Archievement Award" and in 2011 they renamed him "Michael Jackson 'Video Vanguard' when Britney Spears got the award from Lady Gaga. There were many petitions from fans before.

I'm amazed MTV holds a video award show at all considering they don't play music videos. Just reality tv BS.

The main channel is where the reality TV crap is broadcast but the secondary ones such as MTV Jams, vh1 classics, etc still broadcast videos. I insist, this award is more a popularity contest nowadays than awarding truly vanguardist performers.

So I am curious who would everyone nominate? Since Rhianna doesn't seem like a popular choice...

So I am curious who would everyone nominate? Since Rhianna doesn't seem like a popular choice...

It's not a Video Vanguard of the Year award. There doesn't have to be a recipient. It's an award given to specially recognise outstanding achievement. If it's not warranted it should not be given.

we can hate all we want but SOMEONE is buying her album, she has outsold Mariah Carey for Gods sake.. yes I am surprised by it, but IF her music can get that type of attention in this day and age of the DL era... That's special!!

When it was announced that Rihanna was going to get the Michael Jackson award people went full tilt with Rihanna hate when the fact of the matter is that when it's comes to who's the best right now it's a three way tie between Rihanna, Adele, and Beyonce.
I read the comments on some of the articles about her getting the award and all I could think was GOT DAMN.
The way people were acting you would've thought Rihanna stole their car or something.
I'm not defending Rihanna (the only artist I defend is Michael), but she truly seems like a kind fun loving girl that enjoys what she does and loves her fans.
She's been through a lot and she's come out on top.

Back