Rihanna Will Receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2016 MTV VMAs

^ Yeah, this seems to happen no matter who wins each year!! more often than not..

I can't speak for all the people who have commented on this but certainly here, there hasn't been hatred towards Rihanna. Just disdain (on my part at least) and criticism wondering how what she does on the video department is vanguardist in any shape or form. If the award is considered a lifetime achievement award, she's not a veteran yet.

Rihanna is nowhere near MJ's level...but then again, I feel the same about most current pop performers.

The award being named after MJ doesn't mean any of the recipitents are near MJ's level tho lol

Rihanna is nowhere near MJ's level...but then again, I feel the same about most current pop performers.

Well, if we're going to be honest the only BIG and known in every corner of the world acts to truly vanguard anything in recent music HIStory (when I say recent I mean barring people like Mozart, Beethoven, etc) are the Beatles and Michael.

As far as industry changing innovation goes the buck stopped with Michael, and you can't compare current artists (or any other solo artist IMO) to Michael because they'll never stack up, but out of the batch of current artists Rihanna truly isn't that bad. :)

My honest opinion is that there are some good and even great current artist, but none of them are overall as good as Michael. :)

So I have to ask.. was everyone that performs in the 'Michael Jackson auditorium" at his childhood school supposed to know how to moonwalk? I mean it was named after MICHAEL JACKSON right? Lets just be grateful for the name on the award cuz (like the auditorium) the name can come down..

So I am curious who would everyone nominate? Since Rhianna doesn't seem like a popular choice...

If they're going by VMA wins, next in line would be Lady Gaga. She has a couple of fantastic MVs ahead of anything Rihanna has done, but is still too new. They don't need to give the award out every year... they can hold off rather than giving it to just anyone who will show up (thought that's exactly what the VMAs are all about... MJ didn't even attend to collect his Vanguard gong in 1988!)

I think they need to revamp the whole thing-and think about MTV's legacy. What is it? It's definitely music videos, and in a sense it also spread rap to the mainstream (for years and years I've been wondering how in the heck did that happen-and finally watched a documentary about "Yo MTV Raps"-which went on the air the same year BAD was released and was cancelled the year I finally got cable)-and in a sense, they gave birth to the reality show, which seems to be the mainstay of TV these days.

So I think the Video Vanguard Lifetime Achievement Award should be more like a lifetime achievement award given to those that pioneered the music video industry-the current, "relevant" artists that they are giving it to now are already recognized in the current nominees.

So go back in time and give it to the elder pioneers-reading about it they gave the first Video Vanguard Awards to the Beatles and Richard Lester for creating the concept-although that honor should really go to Queen.
I think of all the people they could recognize from their past-all the great directors who got their starts making music videos and then went on to make acclaimed feature films-David Lynch, Steve Barron, etc. Think of all the great choreographers-Michael Peters, Vincent Paterson, Paul Abdul, cinematographers,that made this into an ART form.

They could go on for years and years doing this-BET, NAACP Image Awards, Soul Train Awards all give out genuine lifetime achievement awards-Whitney, Prince, Smokey, Diana, and no reason for MTV not to do the same.

I think they need to revamp the whole thing-and think about MTV's legacy. What is it? It's definitely music videos, and in a sense it also spread rap to the mainstream (for years and years I've been wondering how in the heck did that happen-and finally watched a documentary about "Yo MTV Raps"-which went on the air the same year BAD was released and was cancelled the year I finally got cable)-and in a sense, they gave birth to the reality show, which seems to be the mainstay of TV these days.

So I think the Video Vanguard Lifetime Achievement Award should be more like a lifetime achievement award given to those that pioneered the music video industry-the current, "relevant" artists that they are giving it to now are already recognized in the current nominees.

So go back in time and give it to the elder pioneers-reading about it they gave the first Video Vanguard Awards to the Beatles and Richard Lester for creating the concept-although that honor should really go to Queen.
I think of all the people they could recognize from their past-all the great directors who got their starts making music videos and then went on to make acclaimed feature films-David Lynch, Steve Barron, etc. Think of all the great choreographers-Michael Peters, Vincent Paterson, Paul Abdul, cinematographers,that made this into an ART form.

They could go on for years and years doing this-BET, NAACP Image Awards, Soul Train Awards all give out genuine lifetime achievement awards-Whitney, Prince, Smokey, Diana, and no reason for MTV not to do the same.

I like your idea but awarding older and deceased artists like the people you mentioned won't bring in the views that these award shows want. :(
These award shows all want a lot of views, and awarding a current/new artist regardless of how good they are will bring in views from young fans.
Which is why I think it's good that Michael's name is connected to the award, so that his name will stay in people's minds. :yes:

However even without having his name connected to awards, Michael is doing better as far as longevity then any other solo act I can think of, and this is partially due to how well his music has aged.
Michael was so ahead of his time that you could listen to almost any of his songs or watch any of his videos, and they'll look and sound like they could've come out yesterday. :D

Last edited:
I like your idea but awarding older and deceased artists like the people you mentioned won't bring in the views that these award shows want. :(
These award shows all want a lot of views, and awarding a current/new artist regardless of how good they are will bring in views from young fans.
Which is why I think it's good that Michael's name is connected to the award, so that his name will stay in people's minds. :yes:

However even without having his name connected to awards, Michael is doing better as far as longevity then any other solo act I can think of, and this is partially due to how well his music has aged.
Michael was so ahead of his time that you could listen to almost any of his songs or watch any of his videos, and they'll look and sound like they could've come out yesterday. :D
I agree with you that Michael's videos have a timeless quality-and hold up anytime, anywhere. Actually, they're way better than anything current-it seems to me that any new videos I've seen are more like the original days of MTV-before Michael-where people did pretty much nothing.

I know they want a lot of views, but CURRENT artists are nominated for CURRENT video awards, so there should be plenty of star power for the younger generation to see. Nothing has to be sacrificed for them. And giving the award to older pioneers would take about 10 minutes and bring in those older viewers. I wouldn't have been watching the Image Awards or the BET awards or the Soul Train awards if they hadn't been doing a tribute to Smokey, Berry, Whitney, Prince.

This article just popped up on my newsfeed-actually, perfect example of what I'm talking about.

[FONT=&amp]<header id="SideTop-1-HeadComponentTitle" class="canvas-header" data-reactid=".1w4jiud2k9u.$0.0.0.1.2.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.$SideTop-1-HeadComponentTitle-Proxy.$SideTop-1-HeadComponentTitle">30 Years Ago, Director Steve Barron Ruled the VMAs With &#8216;Take on Me&#8217; and &#8216;Money for Nothing&#8217;

</header>[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In any other year, either A-ha&#8217;s &#8220;Take on Me&#8221; or Dire Straits&#8217; &#8220;Money for Nothing&#8221; would have no doubt dominated the MTV Video Music Awards. But 1986 was no typical year. Incredibly, both clips &#8212; two of the greatest animated music videos, or even greatest music videos, period, in MTV history &#8212; came out in the same eligibility window. Therefore, they had to share the glory at the &#8217;86 VMAs. &#8220;Money for Nothing&#8221; earned 11 nominations and scored two Moonmen, including one for Video of the Year; &#8220;Take on Me&#8221; missed out on that top honor, but won in a whopping six of its eight nominated categories, including Breakthrough Video, Viewer&#8217;s Choice, Best New Artist, and Best Director.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Even more astounding? Both videos were the work of the same director: a true video vanguard, Steve Barron.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]d Barron never come up with the wild ideas to cast the Norwegian heartthrobs of A-ha as comic-book moto-racers or have cube-headed, computer-animated repairmen act out &#8220;Money for Nothing,&#8221; the British director&#8217;s place in the MTV annals would still have been secure. Long before 1986, his video for the Human League&#8217;s &#8220;Don&#8217;t You Want Me&#8221; helped usher in pop&#8217;s Second British Invasion; his groundbreaking clip for Michael Jackson&#8217;s &#8220;Billie Jean&#8221; then broke the color barrier at MTV, as one of the first videos by a black artist to ever air on the largely rock-based network. But just as &#8220;Take on Me&#8221; turned A-ha into overnight sensations and &#8220;Money for Nothing&#8221; revived the career of old-school classic rockers Dire Straits, these two landmark videos also catapulted Barron&#8217;s career to new heights; he soon moved on to major feature films, directing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Coneheads. (His latest directorial project is Britain&#8217;s ITV dramatic series The Durrells.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Related: Watch Every VMA Video of the Year Winner Ever[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]&#8220;It just happened to be a year that there were these two big challenges and two big opportunities to do something special,&#8221; Barron tells Yahoo Music. He never thought he&#8217;d be talking about these videos three decades later. &#8220;I knew we were on to something very good, as soon as we finished shooting and cut it together as the animation was coming in &#8212; but nothing could have prepared me for this getting so much attention over the years. You always wonder how long your work is going to stay around, how many generations might get to see it.&#8221;

[FONT=&amp]
c5fd25414cba6575a49c5e164719b2d2897de2be.png.cf.jpg

Lyndsey ParkerManaging Editor

[/FONT]
Here's a link to the whole article-a good read about true innovation and it also shows the actual videos from YouTube-even the ones that weren't used.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/30-year...ke-on-me-and-money-for-nothing-011040569.html[/FONT]

<figure class="canvas-image Mx(a) canvas-atom My(24px) My(20px)--sm" data-type="image" data-reactid=".1w4jiud2k9u.$0.0.0.1.2.0.2.0.0.$Col1-0-ContentCanvas-Proxy.$Col1-0-ContentCanvas.0.4.0:$8" style="margin: 24px auto; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 24px; max-width: 100%; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></figure>

Last edited:
Speaking of the VMAs, my newsfeed today was flooded with stories about past ones. This one in particular, made me laugh out loud. To cut to the chase, it's about the first VMAs in 1984, and the creation of the Moonman statue. They made several different ones, and came up with the final design at the last minute-and only had time to make five before the ceremony.
So the decision was to pass out the five, collect them all back at commercial break, then give them out again. This all went well, until Diana Ross, sitting in the first row to collect Michael's awards for Thriller, collected them and wouldn't give them back. They broke from commercial only to have the camera go to her arguing with a crew member over the trophies.

I don't know why-that really cracked me up.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2924701/vma-statue-moonman/

Speaking of the VMAs, my newsfeed today was flooded with stories about past ones. This one in particular, made me laugh out loud. To cut to the chase, it's about the first VMAs in 1984, and the creation of the Moonman statue. They made several different ones, and came up with the final design at the last minute-and only had time to make five before the ceremony.
So the decision was to pass out the five, collect them all back at commercial break, then give them out again. This all went well, until Diana Ross, sitting in the first row to collect Michael's awards for Thriller, collected them and wouldn't give them back. They broke from commercial only to have the camera go to her arguing with a crew member over the trophies.

She was making sure MJ got his dues. Remember MJ was the first black artists to be shown on MTV so Ms. Ross knew MTV had a bias so it seem she was making sure they were not going to treat the biggest black artist with disrespect even though that was not the case but I can see how she was seeing it.:clap:

Miss Ross the boss doesn't play, and when she comes she ALWAYS comes to slay. :D

I'm not sure if they announced it as the MJ Video Vanguard Award, but Rihanna herself called it that.
Skip to 1:34 in this vid to see it.

If someone can tell us whether or not they announced it as the MJ Vanguard Award please drop the info.

I'm not sure if they announced it as the MJ Video Vanguard Award, but Rihanna herself called it that.
Skip to 1:34 in this vid to see it.

If someone can tell us whether or not they announced it as the MJ Vanguard Award please drop the info.

Drake referred to it as the MJ Vanguard Award in his speech to her (3:44).

Yuuuuup I watched the show and was great that Drake and Rihanna acknowledged MJ (y).......but I was :censored: that there was no Prince tribute etc He along with MJ broke the MTV glass ceiling and they should have done something special for him.

So the award is still officially called MJ award. Good. I am glad both Drake and Rihanna mentioned it. I do remember years when neither the recepient or the one who gave the award even mentioned it was called Michael Jackson Vanguard Award, so I was wondering if it was even still called that.

Last edited:
You know mj suddenly became cool again after 09.so they decided to use his name in the award again???

I only watched parts of the show. I know I'm old but music is in a sad state to me. Don't know why everybody was raving on Beyoncé because I hated that. Nothing "musical" about it IMO and I know she can sing. So turned it off after Britney started. Thanks for posting Rihanna since I missed her. Love her dress.

Yeah and what about David Bowie? He won the Video Vanguard in its first year alongside The Beatles and Richard Lester!!

MTV pretended they didn't exist.
It's disgusting TBH.
And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of either of them.

Hell, instead if letting Beyonce do that long ass performance on what was supposed to be Rihanna's night anyway, maybe they should've cut her performance time, and did something for Prince.

Overall, there was A LOT wrong with the MTV VMAs.

So the award is still officially called MJ award. Good. I am glad both Drake and Rihanna mentioned it. I do remember years when neither the recepient or the one who gave the award even mentioned it was called Michael Jackson Vanguard Award, so I was wondering if it was even still called that.

It was recalled in 2011.

barbee0715;4163091 said:
I only watched parts of the show. I know I'm old but music is in a sad state to me. Don't know why everybody was raving on Beyoncé because I hated that. Nothing "musical" about it IMO and I know she can sing. So turned it off after Britney started. Thanks for posting Rihanna since I missed her. Love her dress.

I'll give it to Beyonce she is a really good performer out of the current crop of people, but people will rave about ANYTHING, so people raving about something now doesn't mean much to me.
I also thought it was lowkey petty and jealous the way she obviously tried to steal Rihanna's shine.

If I were a Rihanna I'd say f*** MTV after what was obviously an attempt to try and have her shine taken away from her on what was supposed to be her night.
Rihanna has been putting in work (work work work work) for years and she didn't deserve that.

Once again, there was SO much wrong with that awards show.

Last edited:
I just have to say this... With Rhianna and her 1000 performances, all good buttttttttt... Beyoncé killed it, she totally stole the show!

Look at this dumb shit MTV did on SnapChat on Michael's Birthday when without Michael MTV wouldn't be shit, and there would be no beyonce (no really she herself said that the only reason she decided to become an entertainer is because she went to an MJ concert as a kid).
CrD5-49UIAEctra.jpg

CrD5_wVUkAIdQa5.jpg

F*** MTV.

Last edited:
Back