Saw Jackie in Antwerp, but wasn't very polite

When I met Michael Jackson
By Tabitha Messick

"It's very nice to meet you too," Michael Jackson said to me in his very soft, high voice, as I had the amazing experience of meeting him, unexpectedly, in Orlando, Florida in 2002 when, by chance, we were eating at the same restaurant.

I was competing at the Miss America Jr. Teen pageant and on the last night my family and I ate at a very popular Japanese steakhouse, the Benihana (which Michael told me was one of his favorites).

My family got out of our seats when we heard a lot of commotion at a nearby table. When our cook told us that Michael Jackson was eating in the next room, we couldn't believe it. We left our chairs and our food to see if it was true. It was.

Michael was so gracious and generous, at times even shy. The owners closed the restaurant to additional customers and Michael took pictures and talked with people for over two hours. Everyone was standing in line to meet him. He was very patient and sweet despite the numerous people and downright chaos. I particularly remember people outside the restaurant's locked glass doors banging and shouting to get in to see him.

I saw poised beauty queens turn outright giddy in a matter of seconds of just seeing him. Everyone around him was talking loudly and screaming, not only for his attention, but because they were impressed. I felt a natural high and an excitement that rivaled Christmas and birthdays. Energy and excitement radiates from Michael! As he walked outside to a waiting car, hundreds of fans were gathered. As his car drove off, I saw two women pass out.

His kids, wearing spiderman masks, were with him along with an entourage of about 10 people. Michael talked with everyone and it took him hours to slowly walk out of the restaurant to the limo outside. He signed autographs and gave hugs. He was very relaxed and seemed genuinely happy.

I actually wasn't a huge Jackson fan, besides knowing him and appreciating his music, until I met him (my junior year in high school) and since then I defended him during the next years. When I met him he was nothing like those reports you see on T.V. The literal pandemonium that surrounded him was unreal. It really put into perspective the good and bad of his amazing star power. And yet he still remained calm, composed and childlike.

It's been really tragic to hear of his passing. He is such a huge international star. I've been living in China for almost two years, and I've found that Chinese people universally know two people- Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. Sometimes showing the picture of me and him, especially in China where it is hard for me to communicate, has been a great conversation starter.

I feel incredibly honored to have met him. There's just something about him and being in his presence that is hard to explain- it's simply...special.

Messick is a 23-year-old American living and working in Beijing.

(China.org.cn July 9, 2009)

:girl_sigh: :wub:

Look:

tabitha-messick-mj.jpg

Though I (left) currently live and work as a freelance journalist in Beijing, hearing about MJ brought back one of the most exciting nights when I had the opportunity to meet him, unexpectedly, in Orlando, FL in 2003.
We were eating at the same restaurant, the Benihana (which he told me was one of his favorites). I was competing at the Miss America Jr. Teen pageant during Thanksgiving and on our last night my family ate at the very popular Japanese steakhouse.

We got out of our seats when we heard a lot of commotion in one of the eatings rooms. When our cook told us that Michael Jackson was eating here, we couldn't believe it. We left our seats and our food to see if it was true. Michael was so gracious and generous. The owners closed the restaurant to additional customers and Michael took pictures and talked with people for over two hours. Everyone was standing in line to meet him. He was very patient and sweet despite the numerous people and downright chaos. I particularly remember people outside the glass doors of the restaurant banging and shouting to get in to see him.

His kids, in spiderman masks, were also with him along with an entourage of about 10 people. Michael talked with everyone and it took him hours to slowly walk out of the restaurant and to the limo outside. He signed autographs and gave hugs. Some people even gave him their cell phones to talk their friends (imagine how surprised they were!). He was very relaxed and seemed genuinely happy.

I saw poised beauty queens turn outright giddy in a matter of seconds of just seeing him. Everyone around him was talking loudly and screaming, not only for his attention, but because they were impressed. I felt a natural high and an excitement that rivaled Christmas and birthdays- all because of MJ! He had amazing star power and he really was calm, composed and childlike. As he walked outside to a waiting car, hundreds of fans were gathered. As his car drove off, I saw two women pass out.

I actually wasn't a huge Jackson fan, besides knowing him and appreciating his music, until I met him (my junior year in high school) and since then I defended him during the next years. When I met him he was nothing like those reports you see on tv. And the literal pandemonium that surrounded him was UNREAL.

It's been really tragic to hear of his passing. He is such a huge star. In regards to my experience in China-Chinese people universally know two people- Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson.

My name is Tabitha Messick and I'm a 23-year-old American (originally from Winston Salem,NC) but I currently live and work in Beijing and this is where I will watch the memorial at 1:00 a.m. I feel honored to have met him.

There's just something about him and being in his presence that is hard to explain- it's simply...special. RIP Michael Jackson

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-293135

:girl_sigh:

wow I am surprised that Jackie would act that way...to me he seems to be one of the more "sweeter" Jackson's. He said no to 1 fan...thats a shame. what would he of done if there was THOUSANDS of fans outside his hotel and thousands of fans trying to get at him like they did to Michael???. Obviously Jackie is not as big a star as he thinks he is..and to treat this one fan so rudely regardless if it wasn't "good timing" for him or not is just a shame. Doesn't Jackie realize that stories like this WILL spread through out the Jackson fan community and that make Jackie LOOK BAD. Nahhh....these Jackson's are NOT Michael...HE was one of a kind. Jackie needs to humble himself a little...after all the fans can make you or break you and if you are rude to them..they WILL break you. And yes that was rude of him to say NO autograph until he saw the CD's. A fan is a fan...just because they aren't carrying a CD at the time they may bump into their favorite artist doesn't make then a non-fan. Oh Jackie...you have ALOT to learn., ....and they wonder WHY they couldn't sell out shows for their little Unity Tour they dont treat their fans right. smdh

I'm surprised at this story. I thought it was going to go a different way. Surprised at Jackie.
But lets call it what it is, this was downright rudeness. No excuses.

There's no horde of fans around the brothers and hasn't been since 1975. Nobody would sell his autograph because most people wouldn't know who he was. He would be better known as the brother of superstar Michael Jackson. And Michael never acted like that to his fans.

There is a playful musicprogram on tv where 2 persons form a team together and compete against another team.
It can be artists, actors,people known from tv etc.
Among the things they do they answer some questions.
Last friday they should mention 3 of Michael´s siblings.
Only the couple who rang the bell first were allowed to answer;Jermaine....eh.....eh......Janet......LaToya.

Thanks loveforever and ashtanga for posting those stories about mj and fans. I really like these type of stories - just little random encounters with mj that give you an idea of what he was like off duty, written by people with no agenda or a desire to make $$. So different from that ghastly sullivan book.

Pieter, I admire your determination. After he refuse to speak to you, you went back the next day I got an autograph. It's good to have that kind of resolution but I don't think he deserves your admiration.

I understand they want their private time, but after so many years of not performing he should be grateful he still have fans who wanted to say hello & get an autograph.A little politness doesn't hurt anyone. It's obvious they didn't learn anything from his brother.

He said, I don't give it to you guys. You only are trying to sell it.

And, would someone buy it?

Last edited:
How come Michael is the only true down to earth gentleman from the Jacksons if they were raised by the same woman!? :thinking: :ermm::smilerolleyes:

How come Michael is the only true down to earth gentleman from the Jacksons if they were raised by the same woman!? :thinking: :ermm::smilerolleyes:

Good point there :cheeky:

It's not the WOMAN who raised you that is to 'blame'... It's up to every bro' to act out what they learnt...
You know the saying "what does it matter to give the owl light and glasses, if he doesn't wanna read" :smilerolleyes:

I'm PROUD Michael isn't as 'stuck up' as the Jack :sun:s.

I think Michael raised himself by himself:) I cannot think any other explanation.

Good point there :cheeky:

It's not the WOMAN who raised you that is to 'blame'... It's up to every bro' to act out what they learnt...
You know the saying "what does it matter to give the owl light and glasses, if he doesn't wanna read" :smilerolleyes:

I'm PROUD Michael isn't as 'stuck up' as the Jack :sun:s.

I agree with both points actually. I've sometimes thought Michael raised himself because he's been smarter than his parents and siblings and the rest of the Jacksons chose to be that way...

Hi guys I'm back!

Something really strange happened today! I was walking back in Antwerp (I go to school there) and suddenly Jackie passed by. I was really surprised. I knew he was heading to his hotel so I went further to the stopping lights where he would. Suddenly he stood next to me, with his girlfriend.

First, I asked "Excuse me", but he didn't hear. Then I said "Excuse me sir, could I get an autograph of you?". He answered me: No. I was surprised. Again, he says no? I asked why? He said, I don't give it to you guys. You only are trying to sell it. I said: "Excuse me? Why would I do that?" Immediately I said: I'm a real fan of The Jacksons, I've brought my album collection with me.

Then he came closer to me and said: "Ok, good, but not here." He said to walk further, so I went a little bit further in the street and he and his girlfriend followed me. Then I took my cd collection (The Jacksons collection with the 5 cd's) and he signed one. He said "Do you have another?" I said, yes (but I was a little bit embarassed because it were 5 cd's :s. I gave the second one, and then his girlfriend was talking to me. "Oh, that's a lovely box. It's from... ah Epic." And then Jackie was signing the other albums and he shook my hand, and his girlfriend was talking about Antwerp and so on. I also said that I didn't want to disturb them in their free time, but his girlfriend said "that's not a problem". Also we talked a bit about the show he gave yesterday (the evening before). I said I really enjoyed it. He was pleased I said that. And in the end Jackie gave me another hand, just like his girlfriend.

It was quite strange that he said "I don't give any autographs", but in the end they were both very friendly. Maybe they have bad experiences?

Its probably hard for them to trust people especially strangers that they have never met. I always thought Jackie was someone with a good heart. I guess this showed in the end. Glad you got your autographs. :)

Its probably hard for them to trust people especially strangers that they have never met. I always thought Jackie was someone with a good heart. I guess this showed in the end. Glad you got your autographs. :)

I agree. I've seen folks who have gotten Michael and the brothers to sign something only to turn around to sell the autographs for huge amounts of money. It's not about "He's stuck up, he doesn't appreciate his fans". He was probably reluctant for that reason.

Happy to hear it worked out for you :)

I agree. I've seen folks who have gotten Michael and the brothers to sign something only to turn around to sell the autographs for huge amounts of money. It's not about "He's stuck up, he doesn't appreciate his fans". He was probably reluctant for that reason.

Happy to hear it worked out for you :)

Are you serious!

I've seen many singers or other celebrities signing all sort of things, and I doubt they think this person is going to sell my autograph for big money. Jackie has been in the business long enough and has signed thousands of autographs, and when he is trying to get back on the business, he developed trust issues?
:)

Are you serious!

I've seen many singers or other celebrities signing all sort of things, and I doubt they think this person is going to sell my autograph for big money. Jackie has been in the business long enough and has signed thousands of autographs, and when he is trying to get back on the business, he developed trust issues?
:)
Simply giving another perspective. Everybody has their "moments", who knows? lol Prince for example has been known to refuse to sign autographs and let fans take pictures.....but then again, that's Prince

It all worked out for PieterM when he met him again so that's good

Lmao the Jackson's are so desperate to stay relevant but he turns down the 1 fan asking for an autograph. I'm willing to bet there is not one person on the face of the earth searching eBay for a Jackie Jackson autograph! How ridiculous. Glad you got it in the end, but it's just another story that shows the Jackson's for what they are. Michael gave his fans the time of day when he was in court fighting for his life for gods sake!!

^^ "Michael gave his fans the time of day when he was in court fighting for his life for gods sake!!"

And that's because Michael wasn't arrogant.

You sometimes get the feeling that they think they are bigger stars than they are.....

The thread title should be changed now shouldn't it? because you got an amazingly second chance with Jackie I'm so touched you got your time and autograph ^^ You are lucky :D
How sweet of Jackie, Beautiful thread

Simply giving another perspective. Everybody has their "moments", who knows? lol Prince for example has been known to refuse to sign autographs and let fans take pictures.....but then again, that's Prince

It all worked out for PieterM when he met him again so that's good

I am assuming you're referring to THIS Prince, because Mike's kid hasn't done anything worthy of being asked for one. Happy 56th Birthday (today) PRINCE!

AfroPrincerecent_zps61b1ade1.jpg

I met all brothers and truely all are as welcoming as our Michael was. Hope to meet them ones more. Been a fan of all since beginning 70th (yes me old lol)

Back