Should HIStory have been a single album?

Personally, I loved that it was a double album. It was my first MJ album. My mom bought it when it first came out and I decided to listen to it. From then on it was my CD! I was 9 years old, and it put me on to how genius MJ was. I remember falling in love with him and his music, and not realizing that those were older songs on the first disc. History is my favorite album. I can see how older fans would think it was a bad idea to have the greatest hits portion, but as a new young listener at the time, it's the album that turned me into a die hard fan.

Let me preface by saying that the HIStory album was literally the thing that introduced me to Michael, so I might be a little biased, haha, but this might be a different kind of viewpoint.

As a new fan (summer 2010) I remember stumbling across the HIStory album, the first Michael album (or anything of his) I ever came across. I remember popping in and listening to Disc One and, obviously, being impressed with what I heard. A pure, classic sound with incredible melodies and an overall fun vibe. It was putting in Disc 2, and experiencing the sudden harsh blasts of "Scream" that jolted me. I was now hearing a stark and sudden change in tone and theme. He was digging out personal experiences and human issues with a powerful sound and funky grooves, lacing them with anger in his vocals. That, I think, was the goal of the HIStory album. To tell the world, "Yes, I create best-selling music. Fun songs that will get you movin' on the dancefloor. But I can also hurt and feel. I have opinions of the world and the harsh realities of the people that walk among it. Here's my story. HIStory."

I DO think CD 1 could've had a better tracklist like everyone above has said. The idea was great, it just wasn't as well executed as it could've been. Definitely worked for me, though, lol

The perspective of HIStory as a double disc CD, and getting new fans because of it, is very refreshing. :yes: Simply because I was a Michael fan way before it came out and I only listened to the second disc anyway, since I had all the other songs already.

Back