Should the estate be looking to produce a BIOEPIC given the interest in a Freddie Mercury/Elton John

I think the best they could do is to compile a documentary sort of like Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies. Use actual footage of Michael telling his own story. They ave to have plenty of unreleased footage of Michael talking. Maybe even include making-of videos from the albums to the tours.

I saw bohemian rhapsody and I must say that I loved it. without being the actor like freddy the truth is that his performance is great. He has made me believe he was the one in many scenes, especially the endings in concert. the music and voice when he sings is obviously from freddy, but the actor is a good act who has been able to play the role very well and has transmitted everything very well to us. the film tells the beginnings, the process of music creation and the decline of freddy in his era of the separation of queen and the return for the aid concert for hunger. They have also told his private life without becoming intrusive but if telling the most sounded, his marriage, his male lovers, his excesses in drugs and parties, the relationship with his family, the moments when he made mistakes and became arrogant and aparto to those who wanted it and moments of solitude for fame. I really liked the actor's performance and I felt the emotion of when you see a concert of Queen watching the actor's performance. I would love for you to do something like that with michael. I understand that there are fans who do not like to talk about Michael's private life and that they do not behave well if they represent him in a negative way at some point, but if a biographical interpretation is made that is respectful and good, it does not have to be negative. in freddy's movie there are parts where they represent the inevitable black part,but it makes you understand what he lived, generates empathy with the character, the final sensation is good and respectful.
to me if I would like them to do something like that of michael. looking for an actor who is good (no imitators but real actors and good ones) I think you could make a good movie if you chose a good actor and if it was a respectful film that made the viewer empathize with the character.

I have yet to see bohemian rhapsody but I've heard it fantastic and I agree if there was to be a mj film ,it needs to be like that movie

^ they did a good job and it was a good film. I learned alot about the band and freddy..

Ps. There is an mj reference in the movie, which I mentioned I was hoping for lol

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, but it got me thinking.
I'd love to see a film about Michael making Thriller and the impact it had. I don't think kids will truly understand just how Thriller changed everything.
It could start will MJ being frustrated at Off the Wall not getting the recognition it deserves, and his idea to make the best selling album ever.
I think so much could be done. Just how they recorded the songs, MJ pioneering the short films, the year long campaign to keep the album at number 1, MTV at first refusing to play Billie Jean, the Motown 25 performance, and the impact of the album all over the world.

I think, if done right, that would be great. Obviously, finding someone who looks and dances like Michael would be difficult. But I'm sure they could find someone like Wylie Draper.
This is the exact same plot some people had when discussing the Broadway play. Christopher Weldon had wanted it to be about a turning point in his life-and people came up with this. Which, I think is a great idea.
It really did change everything-more than I even understood at the time.

^ they did a good job and it was a good film. I learned alot about the band and freddy..

Ps. There is an mj reference in the movie, which I mentioned I was hoping for lol
What was it? Tell us-you won't ruin the movie.

^ They were trying to convince freddie mercury to go solo.. The guy talking to Freddie mentioned (I am paraphrasing, trying to quote to the best of my memory)..

"Do you know who sold 4% of the entire music industry last year? Michael Jackson, not the Jackson 5.. Michael Jackson!" Freddie then got mad for the guy trying to break up Queen.

ohhhhhhhh cool

I really loved Bohemian Rhapsody, and while a MJ biopic created with that same amount of respect and dedication would be great, I still think it would be next to impossible to pull off. For one thing he had a longer career than Freddie, so many different events occurred in Michael’s life. How do you pick what to show on film? The casting alone would be problematic, and I just don’t trust anyone to make it truthful unless it’s a true fan that knows their stuff and the estate and/or Michael’s children are involved.

It's impossible really… It's a lose-lose situation...

No actor will ever look like MJ. Even those impersonators don't move, look and talk like MJ.

What periode should it show? The Thriller era? What should be tha drama in the period 1975-1989 - if that was the periode they choose. - What should the movie be about really? An all succes and seeing how MJ became the biggest star in the world, that story is told a million times. But if they include the trials - it would be very difficult - also because MJ's apperance changed to dramatically frem 1980 to 1993. - The same actor could never do that. Either they should use a black person and then with make-up make him white? - But so many things changed with his hair, nose and face - so the same actor could never pull it off. - and to switch actor between eras?? Would be ridiculous. - And if the use a white person and the with make-up makes him black in the OTW-Thriller era parts - that would be critized in the media. - bringing up the old story of MJ wanting a white person to play MJ...

So I don't really see anything positive coming out of a bioepic… - Even though I personally would love to see it. - If done right and respectfully.

Unfortunately,it's full of inaccuracies.

well, just to play devils advocate.. a lot of autobiographies that are written BY the person are filled with false information too, so either way.. I mean, we all know 'Moonwalk' had a few 'imaginative' things in there for PR.

CaptainEoLove85;4233617 said:
For one thing he had a longer career than Freddie, so many different events occurred in Michael’s life. How do you pick what to show on film?
It doesn't have to be a entire life story, it can be about a particular time like the movies Nowhere Boy and Backbeat. Nowhere Boy is about part of John Lennon's teenage years and Backbeat was The Beatles before they got a record deal when Stuart Sutcliffe & Pete Best were in the band. The Jacksons An American Dream pretty much goes up to the early 1980s and it was a 2 part miniseries. Not much of a point in making another movie about the J5 era. American Dream still comes on TV every so often and it's also on DVD. Also Ray Charles' & Johnny Cash's careers were longer than Mike, The Jackson 5, or Queen and they had biopics. Mike's post-Thriller story is fairly well known by the general public anyway, even by people who are not fans. Mike wasn't obscure like Marlon or Rebbie. :laughing: The stories of Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, New Edition, or N.W.A. were less known. That's likely part of the reason why those biopics were successful, a lot of the audience didn't know what was going to happen. N.W.A.'s movie Straight Outta Compton is currently the highest grossing music biopic ever.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a wonderful movie, sure there are inaccuracies. But it's not a documentary. Freddie is just lucky to have Roger and Brian. I know some fans love to hate them, but, IMO, they do some great job by keeping memory of Freddie alive. For me it's obviously that he is important to them and they are doing their best! Sacha Baron Cohen was left behind when it was needed. They spent as much time on this movie as it was necessary... Is there anyone who cares for Michael just as much? Michael was betrayed by some very close friends of his... I personally do not really trust anyone with anything when it comes to Michael. I think it's just not time for MJJ movie... Maybe his children will make it possible someday, I don't know. Maybe it's better to find possibilities now, as there are still people who know and remember him... It's hard to tell, really.

I just hope, whatever we will get with Michael Jackson name written on it, it will be respectful, inspiring and by His standards of quality and creativity... At least, quality.

Does anyone know if lady Gaga's fans "boycott" Bohemian Rhapsody movie with bad reviews the same as they did with Venom? I've heard something about it but it's actually hard for me to believe in it.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a wonderful movie, sure there are inaccuracies. But it's not a documentary. Freddie is just lucky to have Roger and Brian. I know some fans love to hate them, but, IMO, they do some great job by keeping memory of Freddie alive. For me it's obviously that he is important to them and they are doing their best! Sacha Baron Cohen was left behind when it was needed. They spent as much time on this movie as it was necessary... Is there anyone who cares for Michael just as much? Michael was betrayed by some very close friends of his... I personally do not really trust anyone with anything when it comes to Michael. I think it's just not time for MJJ movie... Maybe his children will make it possible someday, I don't know. Maybe it's better to find possibilities now, as there are still people who know and remember him... It's hard to tell, really.

I just hope, whatever we will get with Michael Jackson name written on it, it will be respectful, inspiring and by His standards of quality and creativity... At least, quality.

Does anyone know if lady Gaga's fans "boycott" Bohemian Rhapsody movie with bad reviews the same as they did with Venom? I've heard something about it but it's actually hard for me to believe in it.

I agree its hard to trust anyone when it comes for them making mj documentarys

We have to try to remember that the way people would approach a Michael Jackson project is different after his passing than before. Sadly he was treated much worse when he was living... While his children should be involved, naturally because of there age and the fact they were his kids - there would be much of his life they would never know about. Parents don't tell kids much for several reasons lol

I'd want a film to be authentic yet honoring the man.. Not a glory piece, not a negative film - but in-depth and factual.

I'd want a film to be authentic yet honoring the man.. Not a glory piece, not a negative film - but in-depth and factual.

Therein lies the major problem with tackling MJ on film.

The media have created their own definition of factual - a definition that has formed public opinion.
If not handled very carefully, anything that attempts to put the record straight would likely be dismissed and criticised as an overly protective effort by the MJ Estate to cleanse MJ's image. White washing.

Rather than address the allegations head on, I personally feel that the MJ Estate would rather focus on specific periods of MJ's life that allows them to skirt around the obvious issues. That would undoubtedly draw some comments, but would ultimately limit MJ's exposure to dragging all the detail of those times back to the forefront.

Of course a movie that tackles the allegations head on in what we would call a factual manner would best be produced by an independent source (i.e. without the involvement of the MJ Estate) but the chances of that happening a practically zero. the only people that have any vested interest in telling the truth and to set the record straight are the MJ Estate. All movie/TV companies will want to push the sensationalist agenda and focus on those tabloid headlines that many people remember. Although MJ is often treated much better now than he was when alive, those allegations and defense of MJ against them is a definite no-go zone. I always say this and so far no movie/TV production crew appears to have realised it, but the most sensational thing they could do when it comes to MJ is to expose THE TRUTH. That's the untold story people need to see.

Sadly if any of this ever happens we will see yet another round of opportunists selling their stories to the media about what they saw, heard, or imagined. even those who were discredited decades ago and have already received multiple paydays from their same old lies. Sadly, even setting the record straight may result in more damage to MJ's reputation. As Trump's finding out, you can't control the media.

Agree, but freddie was also unique!!! He has also something that no one else has/had

The media have created their own definition of factual - a definition that has formed public opinion.
If not handled very carefully, anything that attempts to put the record straight would likely be dismissed and criticised as an overly protective effort by the MJ Estate to cleanse MJ's image. White washing.

I always say this and so far no movie/TV production crew appears to have realised it, but the most sensational thing they could do when it comes to MJ is to expose THE TRUTH. That's the untold story people need to see

Totally agree MJTruth. The truth and the culprits need to be exposed once and for all!

Rather than address the allegations head on, I personally feel that the MJ Estate would rather focus on specific periods of MJ's life that allows them to skirt around the obvious issues. That would undoubtedly draw some comments, but would ultimately limit MJ's exposure to dragging all the detail of those times back to the forefront.

Of course a movie that tackles the allegations head on in what we would call a factual manner would best be produced by an independent source (i.e. without the involvement of the MJ Estate) but the chances of that happening a practically zero. the only people that have any vested interest in telling the truth and to set the record straight are the MJ Estate. All movie/TV companies will want to push the sensationalist agenda and focus on those tabloid headlines that many people remember. Although MJ is often treated much better now than he was when alive, those allegations and defense of MJ against them is a definite no-go zone. I always say this and so far no movie/TV production crew appears to have realised it, but the most sensational thing they could do when it comes to MJ is to expose THE TRUTH. That's the untold story people need to see.

Sadly if any of this ever happens we will see yet another round of opportunists selling their stories to the media about what they saw, heard, or imagined. even those who were discredited decades ago and have already received multiple paydays from their same old lies. Sadly, even setting the record straight may result in more damage to MJ's reputation. As Trump's finding out, you can't control the media.

An MJ biopic is inevitable, with the level of fame he reached and the impact he's had. It WILL be made, it's just a matter of time. 1year-10 years whatever! I personally would rather have it done when there are still people living that knew him well. Not just based off of study, reading books. The longer they wait, the more detail will be lost in the sense of people being around to say how it is. Already a good amount of people that could have took part have passed. Liz Taylor for example would absolutely have honored his image if brought in for interviews etc. Katherine is still here (which sadly wont be that way forever!).

You bring in these people (Katherine, Prince, Paris, McCaulay Culkin.. Friends like Chris tucker etc.. Of course this would all be dependent on what time frame the film would cover. those people that stayed true to him, plus in-depth study they could develop a pretty factual story and script.. Lets not forget that Michael filmed a lot of his life, if they had access to hours and hours of home movies, they could really see some special sides of Michael that we have not. I wonder where all that is now!!

Basically I just say, while it's scary and a bit threatening of a feeling to think of a Biopic, we all know it's going to happen. So I'd like it done at the right time and in the right way.. American Dream was done well and covered a lot of facts that could have been overlooked or missed. While a few just pointless wrong things, overall they had things down pretty well.. From details of Katherine working at Sears when Joe was laid off to the conversation Katherine had with her mother while naming Michael (it was slightly off according to Katherines book but close enough). that's real detail there!

Should the estate be looking to produce a BIOEPIC given the interest in a Freddie Mercury/Elton John

Nope

The Estate should be looking to produce the real thing. THE BAD TOUR ON FILM nuff said.

I'm not so sure. There are lot of issues that have to be considered before doing a MJ biopic.

The first issue is the casting issue. Who will play Michael Jackson? As we all know Michael's appearance and skin colour changed with time. You would probably need a black guy and a white guy to play Michael. But if you get a white guy to play Michael, people won't be happy with a white guy potraying a black man. Also, the media ran a story in the 90s that Michael wanted a white kid to play him in a Pepsi commercial and having a white guy play Michael in a biopic would only give validation to their lie.

There is also an issue of controversies and how you present them in a biopic. Michael's life was full of controversies and if you are doing a biopic about his life, you can't just totally neglect the controversial events in his life, such as the two child molestation allegations. Now the problem is how do you present those allegations in a fair manner without making Michael look bad. I believe that Michael was innocent, of course, but I do believe that he was somewhat to blame for the allegations. Now if you present these allegations in a factual manner, MJ may come across a bit weird and a bit out of touch with the world. That obviously won't go down well with most of the fans. In contrast, if you present allegations in a less factual manned that doesn't makes MJ look bad in any way, it won't go down well with the critics.

I personally think that there are many issues and potential issues that need to be considered before doing a MJ biopic. So I think it's best that we never get a MJ biopic. Instead it would be nice if we get a movie that focuses just on MJ's music, his creativity, his art. That would be a better way on honouring his legacy than a biopic that focuses on his personal life too.

But they did that! they released the wembley staduim bad tour concert

A poorly remastered VHS with pathetic, lazy audio issues should not be our only account of one of the greatest tours in history.

Back