Similarites between Justin Timberlakes new single " Take Back The Night " and Michael Jackson

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Similarites between Justin Timberlakes new single " Take Back The Night " and Michael Jackson

This songs really sounds alot and reminds me of songs such as, Lovely One, Shake your body Down and the whole Off The Wall album :)

4:32 " Take it over " This one is straight from Shake your body down

[youtube]tFMFnZyWIW4[/youtube]

4:05 " Shake it over "

[youtube]Nsry9yfRb2w[/youtube]

Great to see that JT still showing love for MJ :)

Re: Similarites between Justin Timberlakes new single " Take Back The Night " and Michael Jackson

Just heard it. The MJ influence is obviuos and this is what I mentioned in this thread: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...that-with-an-Off-The-Wall-anniversary-release

The "Off The Wall sound" seems to be so IN right now. There are a lot of current artists reaching for that sound. IMO the MJ Estate would be clever to ride that wave now with some Off The Wall anniversary release or something like that.

Re: Similarites between Justin Timberlakes new single " Take Back The Night " and Michael Jackson

Thats the thing, i don't think the estate is clever enough to capitilize on this..

:thinking: I hope that happens .Nice song . Thanks Cowboy

Rly like the new song

Justin is such a culture vulture. I bet he will deny that MJ is the influence for this track, just like he's never given MJ props when it's obvious. Didn't he say he was influenced by Frank Sinatra?

The 'take it over' adlib from Justin is stolen directly from Michael

This songs really sounds alot and reminds me of songs such as, Lovely One, Shake your body Down and the whole Off The Wall album :)

4:32 " Take it over " This one is straight from Shake your body down

[youtube]tFMFnZyWIW4[/youtube]

4:05 " Shake it over "

[youtube]Nsry9yfRb2w[/youtube]

Great to see that JT still showing love for MJ :)

what do you mean still showing love? has he ever shown MJ love?

^Specially in 2003 when he was embarrassed to be compared and associated with Michael. I can't stand hypocrites like Timberfake!

Wait, wheres the source that he was embarrassed?

I can't find the interview where he got pissed when the interviewer told him his music and dancing were similar to Michael's. if anyone can find it, it'd be awesome to prove hypocrite he is.

Lol, JT haters stay pressed.

He doesn't have to credit every song he puts out as "this one was inspired by MJ!"
And using funky live instruments with a 70s/80s sound doesn't mean he steals music.
And the Frank Sinatra thing was for the overall vibe of his album (see Suit & Tie video...)

The reasons y'all hate JT for are kinda odd.

Anyhoo, if you're gonna hate JT for ANYTHING, it's for distancing himself from Janet from the Superbowl thing.
Not because he's not giving shoutouts to MJ every 2 seconds.

Was he supposed to hold his hand or something in 2003? There was no twitter, so it's not like he could tweet stuff out.

tumblr_m0lfyp9nXx1qmzkego1_400.gif

Last edited:

The Justin Timberlake hate is extremely ridiculous.

1) Artists like to make a name for themselves and don't like to be compared to other artists. Justin has shown his love for Michael in live shows and interviews and I don't blame him one bit for being angry when people constantly compare the two. We all know how much Justin Bieber loves JT yet gets pissed off when he is compared to him.

2) Yes, he took an ad-lib from a song. It's not like he plagiarized lyrics. Besides, Chris Brown's Fine China is a complete Michael Jackson imitation. Take Back the Night, as I've said, has one ad-lib.

3) It's obvious this song is inspired by Michael. So what? He's the only person to do that?

4) Frank Sinatra is the obvious influence for The 20/20 Experience. Look at the photo shoots, the video for Suit & Tie, etc.

5) Justin never spoke bad about Michael. Sure, he didn't necessarily hold his hand during the 2005 trial, but did every one of Michael's friends do that? No. Michael even wanted to work with Justin in the future.

People need to lay off Justin. There's no justifiable reason to hate him.

The Justin Timberlake hate is extremely ridiculous.

1) Artists like to make a name for themselves and don't like to be compared to other artists. Justin has shown his love for Michael in live shows and interviews and I don't blame him one bit for being angry when people constantly compare the two. We all know how much Justin Bieber loves JT yet gets pissed off when he is compared to him.

2) Yes, he took an ad-lib from a song. It's not like he plagiarized lyrics. Besides, Chris Brown's Fine China is a complete Michael Jackson imitation. Take Back the Night, as I've said, has one ad-lib.

3) It's obvious this song is inspired by Michael. So what? He's the only person to do that?

4) Frank Sinatra is the obvious influence for The 20/20 Experience. Look at the photo shoots, the video for Suit & Tie, etc.

5) Justin never spoke bad about Michael. Sure, he didn't necessarily hold his hand during the 2005 trial, but did every one of Michael's friends do that? No. Michael even wanted to work with Justin in the future.

People need to lay off Justin. There's no justifiable reason to hate him.

Totally agree with you. The best artist out there at the moment!

I agree the MJ Estate should be planning to capitalise on this style ASAP.
Bruno Mars recent single 'treasure' also have the old-school MJ vibe.

If there ever was a time for 'Off The Wall' to be celebrated by the MJ Estate it's now. Not next year, or the year after. Now.
While JT's song has the 'Off The Wall' feel it is also contempory, so if there are any Off The Wall outtakes/demos that could be polished up and reissued with a contempory vibe then the MJ Estate should do it. (they would also need to make the original untouched song available to satisfy the MJ purists... :)

I just wonder how they could capitalise on this trend though.

Let's say they re-release Off the Wall. An incredible album on it's own, yes, but it'll be looked down as nothing more than a cash-in by the estate.

What about something similar to Bad 25 ? That's a good idea but I've read about how MJ was in talks with Sony from late 2008 up until his passing about a 30th anniversary for Off the Wall, but it fell apart due to lack of unreleased material from that era. They also couldn't add a number after it because 'Off the Wall 34' sounds weird :p

If I was the Estate I would probably price Off the Wall really cheap on iTunes or something (that helps stopping it from appearing as a cash-in, as wells as really increases the chance of people buying it), paying Apple to promote it with one of those banners as you can see below.

jLw6R9f.png

Ok now see the subtitles that say "Pre-order 2 of 2 + Get..." ? Maybe they could put something along the lines of "See where JT and Bruno got it from" (obviously much better worded haha). Update the album page to make it look nicer (you know how some iTunes album pages have images and stuff? Like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories? yeah just that). Give it an iTunes LP too. Hell, it's already Mastered for iTunes so why not give it the full iTunes treatment ? ;)

Perhaps even include slightly updated instrumentals as extras (I mean like, instrumentals that give a modern vibe like the ones by JT and Bruno etc do, but obviously still paying tribute to the original style). Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know, just an idea :)

He always supported MJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tU0tCpoWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrLwkYgGDSg

There is also one clip which I can't find right now. It's 2006 when MJ is recieving his Guinness Book of World Records award. Billy Bush from Access Hollywood plays him a video where Justin tells (after he was told that MJ said that Justin is great inspiration).. he inspired my whole generation. Something like that.

The Bruno Mars song too reminds me of Michael. Everytime I hear it I think of Michael. I like to see more people show Michael's influence.

I just wonder how they could capitalise on this trend though.

Let's say they re-release Off the Wall. An incredible album on it's own, yes, but it'll be looked down as nothing more than a cash-in by the estate.

What about something similar to Bad 25 ? That's a good idea but I've read about how MJ was in talks with Sony from late 2008 up until his passing about a 30th anniversary for Off the Wall, but it fell apart due to lack of unreleased material from that era. They also couldn't add a number after it because 'Off the Wall 34' sounds weird :p

If I was the Estate I would probably price Off the Wall really cheap on iTunes or something (that helps stopping it from appearing as a cash-in, as wells as really increases the chance of people buying it), paying Apple to promote it with one of those banners as you can see below.

jLw6R9f.png

Ok now see the subtitles that say "Pre-order 2 of 2 + Get..." ? Maybe they could put something along the lines of "See where JT and Bruno got it from" (obviously much better worded haha). Update the album page to make it look nicer (you know how some iTunes album pages have images and stuff? Like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories? yeah just that). Give it an iTunes LP too. Hell, it's already Mastered for iTunes so why not give it the full iTunes treatment ? ;)

Perhaps even include slightly updated instrumentals as extras (I mean like, instrumentals that give a modern vibe like the ones by JT and Bruno etc do, but obviously still paying tribute to the original style). Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know, just an idea :)

Good ideas.

OTW is 35 years old next year, so there could be an OTW 35, that sounds a bit better than OTW 34 (especially that there wasn't an OTW 25). Though as bobmoo79 said it might be too late by then. Depending on how long this trend is going on. One thing is for sure it's in trend now, so with a clever marketing strategy something could be done about it. I don't quiet know what, but it's their job figure it out both artistically and marketing wise.

I think for a quick action plan your ideas are good. And then it doesn't have to be OTW 34 or 35 or any anniversary stuff, just creating a bit of buzz around the album. Maybe they could give Sunset Driver to some popular act (I actually think of Daft Punk, LOL) to do something with it. Since Daft Punk went to that late 70s disco/funk sound direction. I'm thinking of Sunset Driver because it wasn't on the original album and many people don't know it so it would be actually new to a lot of people. It's a light, fun song too.

And they could make a documentary about OTW too. Though I guess there isn't much studio footage from that era, unlike Bad.

Oh, and my dream: release Triumph Tour on DVD/Blue-ray!

Not to discredit MJ at all, but he wasn't the only person doing this type of sound at the time...

Regardless, yes, an Off The Wall re-release would be neat.

Triumph Tour, YES. It was essentially the Off The Wall tour, featuring the Jacksons.
Though, I would hope (if a dvd came out) that it would feature a show from the 2nd leg, but as extras have the cut songs from the first leg.
The changes weren't drastic, but off the top of my head, I think they traded Blame It On The Boogie for Shake Your Body (i think).

Maybe they could give Sunset Driver to some popular act (I actually think of Daft Punk, LOL) to do something with it. Since Daft Punk went to that late 70s disco/funk sound direction. I'm thinking of Sunset Driver because it wasn't on the original album and many people don't know it so it would be actually new to a lot of people. It's a light, fun song too.

I love Sunset Driver! Daft Punk would be a great choice too. Random Access Memories was a great album and having their name on the project would certainly help generate buzz too!

Not to discredit MJ at all, but he wasn't the only person doing this type of sound at the time...

Regardless, yes, an Off The Wall re-release would be neat.

Triumph Tour, YES. It was essentially the Off The Wall tour, featuring the Jacksons.
Though, I would hope (if a dvd came out) that it would feature a show from the 2nd leg, but as extras have the cut songs from the first leg.
The changes weren't drastic, but off the top of my head, I think they traded Blame It On The Boogie for Shake Your Body (i think).

I think you are mixing The Triumph Tour With The Destiny Tour

Who said he was?

On the other hand, OTW is considered a disco record but it's different than most disco records at the time. I have actually seen people on rock forums bash the whole disco genre, but mention OTW as an exception, saying how that was a great record.

Last edited:
I wont go to the point of boycotting a release because it has an influence of MJ. However, I simply dont & wont like it FOR an artist to get famous rich and get away by making something véry similiar that already exists. I really, really loose respect esp when they begin talking about how they 'created' that song. Not just JT, every artist.

Dont jump on me, i meant getting awat without crediting..

tumblr_mjo3cfDWZZ1qcvkpto4_250.gif

Why would everyone has to like copycats? Where's the creativity, where's the innovation? Most current acts are recycling from the past. That's why I miss Michael releasing new albums, he dared to innovate in every record he released sounding completely different from every previous one.

The only exception of copycat I love... :lol:
copycat.jpg

There are only so many innovations you can do. Only so many chords, drum patterns, etc.
Everything is a copycat of something.
Michael was riding on Earth, Wind, & Fire and James Brown influences for a while, too.

tumblr_m70t6qQPRe1qil395o1_500.png

tumblr_m70t6qQPRe1qil395o2_500.gif

^He didn't even composed those songs. He had that sound you said when he was in Motown and had as composers to Leon & Huff.

Everyone has influences, nothing is totally original. The question is always if you can take your influences and take what they did to another level and make it your own. Michael was influenced by a lot of people in both music and dance but he managed to create his own sound and own style, taking it to another level.

I decided to stop criticizing other artists for being influenced by him or downright copying him. We should be proud of him influencing others. That's how his legacy will live on! Would it be better if no one was influenced by him? Or what do we want as fans of MJ? Think of it how it would feel that artists say they were influenced by the Beatles, by the Rolling Stones, by Prince etc. but no one would say Michael. I think that would suck. So it rather makes me proud and happy when I see artists influenced by him.

It's true that some are influenced and some are just trying to copy him, but I realized that it's not something that should concern me as an MJ fan. It should concern the fan base of those artists if their artist cannot put his own originality into it. That's not my problem, neither Michael's and that's not something that will harm Michael's legacy so why should I be bothered with that?

I'm not a fan of Justin Timberlake. I have my problems with him, but being influenced by Michael is not one of those. I think a lot of people do not have a problem with the obvious influence of MJ in Bruno Mars' music, but the same people have a problem with Timberlake. I think that has to do with the fact that Bruno is a lot more likable person, IMO. And also that he does not have some of the privilages in the media that JT has in terms of hype. A lot of people feel some kind of "Elvis syndrome" with JT, if you know what I mean. And I think that's really the problem some people (incl. MJ fans) have with him and not that he uses obvious MJ influences/references in his music.

Where Michael composed the most, does Thriller sound like someone else's album? Does BAD sound like someone else's album and so on? I disagreed on that part, I could see more the influences he had on his dancing (80's). At moments he could remind you of Astaire, Kelly or Fosse but he managed to give those steps a twist, change them or improve them. Do the current acts come with their own creativity? No, they don't.

I also agreed JT is a media darling, for them he can't go no wrong and the fact they put him in a pedestal like he were super talented is quite annoying and isn't a big deal.

Back