Songs That Aren't By Michael But Sound Like A Michael Song

Dunk96

The Queen HBIC
As the title suggests,post a song or songs that aren't by Michael Jackson,but they sound like they should be a Michael song.
My example is I Need You Tonight by Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys:

Jason Malachi tries to sound like MJ…

[video=youtube;g1jgOwtNqT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1jgOwtNqT8[/video]

Plenty of influences on this one, but MJ sounds like a major one. Especially the vocal melody of the verses and pre-chorus (the chorus itself and the bridge are not very MJ-ish imo).

Nice cut by Lionel from a solid album, clearly heavily influenced by WBSS (bass and drum pattern).

R.Kelly seem to be the best at composing songs in the style that suited MJ. He is the vocalist most successful in emulating MJ. He wrote One More Chance and You Are Not Alone which both sound similar in style.

R.Kelly seem to be the best at composing songs in the style that suited MJ. He is the vocalist most successful in emulating MJ. He wrote One More Chance and You Are Not Alone which both sound similar in style.

I disagree that R. Kelly is best at composing songs for MJ. I think the three R. Kelly songs in Michael's catalog are not among MJ's best songs.

^^nice song. I've never heard it before. I was playing around with Spotify this weekend to see if my sign on still worked and ran across a song called "Razzamatazz" that I LOVED.
No credits on Spotify but on YouTube I found it's Quincy Jones with Patti Austin singing. Rod wrote it and it sounds exactly like Off the wall. I definitely could hear Michael all over it. It was terrific.

Last edited:
^^nice song. I've never heard it before. I was playing around with Spotify this weekend to see if my sign on still worked and ran across a song called "Razzamatazz" that I LOVED.
No credits on Spotify but on YouTube I found it's Quincy Jones with Patti Austin singing. Rod wrote it and it sounds exactly like Off the wall. I definitely could hear Michael all over it. It was terrific.
I love Razzamatazz as well, great track. Also check out 'Turn on the Action' and 'Somethin' Special' (both from 'The Dude' album as well). Also written by Rod, with signature Quincy production and Patti Austin's excellent vocals. If you enjoy those tracks you can also check out Patti Austin's 1981 album 'Every Home Should Have One'. It also features a bunch of songs composed by Rod and production by Quincy (with many of Quincy's usual collaborators such as Louis Johnson, Paulinho da Costa, Michael Boddicker and Greg Phillinganes playing on it).

Quincy and Rod collaborated a lot with different artists around this time, so there is a lot of material that has a OTW/Thriller sound to it, both with regards to songwriting and production. The Brothers' Johnson's 'Light up the Night' album is also handled by Quincy and features several Temperton songs (Michael also cameos on 'This Had To Be'). Same goes for the great George Benson's 'Give Me The Night' album.

That me rephrase that, R.kelly is the best at 'mimicking' MJ's style (NOT sound). Just listen to the song YAMW I posted. It has MJ's vocal trickeries all over it. He d id backing vocals for One More Chance.

Nothing comes up to my mind right now ..
Michael is unique ..no one ever came that close

I disagree that R. Kelly is best at composing songs for MJ. I think the three R. Kelly songs in Michael's catalog are not among MJ's best songs.

As talented as MJ is, R Kelly's work ranks as the worst as MJ's ever done.

One More Chance is undoubtedly his worst single, Cry probably his second worst and YANA not far behind that.

In terms of the original question, I can only think of Vengabus by the Vengaboys.

Justin ''MJ copycat" Timberlake had lots of songs that sound like Michael. The songs Pharrel composed for JT's debut album were presented to Michael first but he rejected them because they similar to what he already had done in his previous records. It seems Justin contined that tendency in his latest album.

Plenty of influences on this one, but MJ sounds like a major one. Especially the vocal melody of the verses and pre-chorus (the chorus itself and the bridge are not very MJ-ish imo).

Hehe that intro drum roll is taken straight from Rock With You.

:) Yep, that and the I'll Be There intro drum roll must have been sampled dozens of times.

Not sure whether they sampled it here, or re-recorded it. If they did, they altered the sample. The last hit of both rolls is a bass drum hit in RWY, but a snare here.

Themidwestcowboy;4093732 said:

Yes.

Monáe has stated that the album's lyrical themes and storyline were heavily influenced by Fritz Lang's Metropolis.[SUP][5][/SUP] The song "Dance or Die" features performer Saul Williams and contains neo soul influences. It then transitions into "Faster", which has new wave,[SUP][11][/SUP] gospel and retro pop influences. The song "Locked Inside" features a rhythm similar to the opening break from "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson, and it has been compared to Jackson's music with Quincy Jones.[SUP][12][/SUP] It has also been noted for similarities to artists such as Estelle and The Jackson 5, the track features a more mellow R&B style in contrast to the previous tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ArchAndroid#Track_listing

One of the few current artists I like.

I mentioned this in another thread, but this song sounds like an Invincible reject to me. I keep wondering if maybe someone worked on it that previously scratched out some ideas with MJ songs too, but nothing really came up. However the vocal layering, melody patterns, and white/grey noise and such are clear MJ influences (well that with the rap break too, but Michael was less known for spearheading that trend). When I first heard this song, I couldn't figure out why I kept wanting to listen despite not being very impressed with it. It just sounded familiar! Then it dawned on me, lol.

There's a guy called the Weeknd and it sounds corny how he's trying to imitate Michael. He's got a new song called "I Can't Feel My Face" and he's even trying to do the adlibs and breathing sounds!

dam2040;4094068 said:
There's a guy called the Weeknd and it sounds corny how he's trying to imitate Michael. He's got a new song called "I Can't Feel My Face" and he's even trying to do the adlibs and breathing sounds!

One of the numerous, hilarious attempts to imitate MJ’s vocal style…

[video=youtube;dqt8Z1k0oWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqt8Z1k0oWQ[/video]

He covered Dirty Diana as well.

@Bumper

Kavinski is a bit far fetched. Billie Jean was not the first to have a bassdrum and snaredrum in that tempo.
It's a genre, not Michael Jackson. :)

The refrain voice is very similar to MJ's boyish boogie days (Destiny, Off The Wall)
Sounds very similar to MJ's early J5 era

I think this is MJB's homage to MJ, don't you think:

Last edited:
Back