Songs that feel out of place on an album

analogue

Proud Member
This doesn't mean that these are bad songs, but are there songs on some albums which you think feel out of place and doesn't fit the style of the rest of the album?

For me Come Together and You Are Not Alone feels really out of place on HIStory

I agree with Come Together, I never understood why he included it. As for YANA, it goes with the patter of including a love song like Michael did in his previous albums. The other song I can think of at the moment, PYT, it's not a bad song but it doesn't give anything to Thriller. Probably many songs on Invincible are out of place IMO, it's his least cohesive adult solo album.

For me it are the following 3 songs on the album "Thriller"

"Baby be mine"
"The Girl is mine"
"The lady in my life"

Not that I don't like this songs, because maybe I love them even more than the others ...to me they just don't go along with "Thriller and Beat it" etc
But maybe this is exactly what the album made such a succes huh?

Definitely "Girlfriend" (plus it's such a weak song). Maybe "Come Together" too. There are no others I mind...

oh, and DYKWYCA :black_eye:

(NO COMMENT on "Michael" :lol:)

I'm still not convinced those are new vocals. What made people say that they were new? I feel like they are from an alternate take from the "Thriller" sessions.

It was confirmed in the Thriller 25 booklet that they were recorded in 2007, Michael had an unbelievable vocal tone at that age! he matured so perfectly. IMO.

I'm still not convinced those are new vocals. What made people say that they were new? I feel like they are from an alternate take from the "Thriller" sessions.

First it said so in a statement second they sound nothing like the WBSS other versions plus it sounds closer to his vocals in HMH, BOJ than to anything on Thriller

I'm not convinced either that they are "recent" vocals.
But either way, imo they sound bad (not in a good way) and the mixing of the vocals is terrible.

Even the mixes in Thriller 25 are out of place. TGIM is listenable but I can live without all of them. The vocals in WBSS sound recent but Akon's voice makes that mix disgusting.

2000 Watts - it does not really fit in IMO.

CD 1 in HIStory - all 15 songs... (Disc 1 should have been released seperately - or released like Xscape - 2 versions of HIStory.

Also Come Together seems out of place. - It was already released as a b-side single (was it all the way back in BAD era or was it Dangerous era?)

Baby be Mine on Thriller maybe....

As many has already said - Girlfriend... - But also Burn This Disco Out maybe.

On a sidenote - the WBSS mix on Thriller 25 is the only mix I like. - The vocals are great, and I do not hear that the mixing is bad... I just feel soo much energy and a great vipe!

I agree with Come Together, I never understood why he included it. As for YANA, it goes with the patter of including a love song like Michael did in his previous albums. The other song I can think of at the moment, PYT, it's not a bad song but it doesn't give anything to Thriller. Probably many songs on Invincible are out of place IMO, it's his least cohesive adult solo album.

Because Why was originally intended for the album, and ended up being used by 3T. That's why.

OTW- Girlfriend- It's a McCartney/Wings P.O.S that was terrible when Paul did it. MJ made it a little better, but not by much. Doesn't go with the flow of the album.

Thriller- None

Bad- Another Part Of Me- Every time I listen to this song, I feel like it's a dated track (recorded prior to 1987). Not very good flow with the Bad album at all. Feels like he took what he recorded for Captain Eo and slapped it on the album. Streetwalker would have fit on the album better IMO. Frankie Dileo and Quincy got that one wrong.

Dangerous- None- MJ's greatest album ever. Don't mess with something that isn't broken.

HIStory- Come Together- Should have been on Bad.

BOTDF- remixes

Invincible- Lost Children- feels like a song MJ just decided to throw on the album.

^I was referring to Come Together not understanding the reason Michael included it on HIStory, not Why.

To me, It's The Falling In Love is worse than Girlfriend, at least that one is fun. The one I mentioned is boring seems more out of place.

Another Part Of Me is one of Michael's best live performances, it goes musically with the Bad album.

Last edited:
I don't disagree about APOM being a great live track...but the studio version just sounds out of place on Bad IMO.

I think "Just Good Friends" is really out of place on the Bad album. It's in between the beautiful "Liberian Girl" and the socially conscious "Another Part Of Me" and it's just a weird placement. I think "Streetwalker" should've replaced it.

Just Good Friends on BAD maybe. BAD album is still perfect to me though

I never understood the dislike for JGF. Am I the only one who thinks it's not that bad of a song as often claimed?

And Another Part of Me is a great song. I definitely would not want it OFF Bad. It always makes me cheer up. I don't care about all the overused "dated" talk. If we would throw out everything that sounds "dated" we should throw out a lot of great songs in pop/rock history. When did the world start to be so obsessed with this concept of everything that sounds "dated" is bad? It's such a fallacy IMO.

Last edited:
I never understood the dislike for JGF. Am I the only one who thinks it's not that bad of a song as often claimed?

And Another Part of Me is a great song. I definitely would not want it OFF Bad. It always makes me cheer up. I don't care about all the overused "dated" talk. If we would throw out everything that sounds "dated" we should throw out a lot of great songs in pop/rock history. When did the world start to be so obsessed with this concept of everything that sounds "dated" is bad? It's such a fallacy IMO.
I never said JGF was a bad song. It just was out of place for the Bad album.

'Get It' is so much better than 'Just Good Friends' plus, i think 'Streetwalker' is a more artistically refined song than APOM is.. but APOM works better on Tour, it all depends to people's personal tastes.

If people worried more about whether a song is good instead of worrying about whether a song is too ''dated'' then we would have a lot more better music in the world. Especially in the mainstream charts

I always throught of the inclusion of Come Together on HIStory as quite perfect. Because the album as definitely Michael's most personal, dealing with issues after all the BS of 93 onwards, I feel that Come Together is on that album as a way of Mike going

"Oh yeah, by the way, I still own the rights to THESE songs just in case you had forgotten ;) I'm doing just FINE!"

As for songs that feel out of place on an album, I think 2000 watts was pit in as a novelty idea because Michael's voice is so low. Still a great song by the way.

Back