Songs that have the same vocal energy

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
What songs vocally contain a through line in terms of style? Like say, from J5 to Solo, from 80s to 90s, between Off The Wall and Invincible? What basically makes you say, that's the same person, over 50 years?

Thriller and Ghosts is an easy and obvious one.

Did this thread change? When I made my post it was about songs with similar themes I thought?

'Remember The Time' was inspired by 'Rock with You', once you know you can't unhear it

*still waiting for a mashup btw

Probably just for me, but there was always this one special melodic midtempo song on each album:
  • Rock with you
  • Human Nature
  • Liberian girl
  • Stranger in moscow
  • Whatever happens
For me they are in one category

Probably just for me, but there was always this one special melodic midtempo song on each album:
  • Rock with you
  • Human Nature
  • Liberian girl
  • Stranger in moscow
  • Whatever happens
No way... Whatever Happens is sad song lol. While RWY is funny and happy. HN is too melancholic. And SIM is sad and melancholic at the same time

A bit of a vague answer but We're Almost There was a template to a lot of his solo career and his vocal energy.

Billie Jean - Price Of Fame - Who Is It
Push Me Away - SPYHO (Bad era demo)

To me it seems his songs criss cross like a braid that could go on and on and each theme is like a layer album over album era over era for a few mix of what I mean in no particular order except theme

Thriller - Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

YANA - Someone In The Dark

Invincible / Heart Breaker

CLHGA / SDMW

TGIM / PYT (demo)

and

I Can't Help It - TGIM

Street Walker / TWYMMF

If You Don't Love Me / Monkey Business

State of Shock - 2000Watts

Butterflies - Lady In My Life

If You Don't Love Me - Serious Effect

Serious Effect - 2000Watts

One More Chance - For All Time

For All Time - Fall Again

Fall Again - This Is It

Place Without No Name - This Is It

Last edited:
  • Rock with you
  • Human Nature
  • Liberian girl
  • Stranger in moscow
  • Whatever happens
I would agree entirely exept for the fact that Rock With You is the only one in this list that is in the makes ya wanna get up and dance category.. the others are more ''listenables'' imo

I would agree entirely exept for the fact that Rock With You is the only one in this list that is in the makes ya wanna get up and dance category.. the others are more ''listenables'' imo
You are right I might remove it now

People are really experimenting, but most of these are wrong.

I'm talking strictly about MJ's voice. Not the themes or the songs themselves, literally just his voice.

Like all the songs where his falsetto is used. All the times his angry vocals are used. That's it.

Someone in the Dark and Childhood, you can hear where his voice grows over the years while still retaining that signature of his.

People are really experimenting, but most of these are wrong.

I realise it's not 100% obvious to me to find what you expect... for me MJ's voice changes a bit on each album, and even the way he pronounces feels completely different between remote eras...Bbut, some ideas:
  • I think that Blues Away may be a key here... When I hear it I sometimes feel like I hear Michael from a later era (I can't link it precisely to a song right now though.)
  • Other songs I think may be key for the same reason: Make Tonight All Mine , Save Me , We're Here To Entertain You , some from the album FMSL, All Night Dancin' ...
  • And songs where the voice reminds me of earlier times than when they were recorded (not just because some are turned towards the past) : Days In Gloucestershire , I'll Be There (Pepsi) , Much Too Soon , What a Lovely Way To Go
  • When I first heard HIStory (the album) , I didn't realise that Come Together has been recorded ~7 years earlier then the rest of the album.
Then if I'd really need to try to links voices in songs together, with some distance in time... I'd say:
  • Scared of the Moon (1984?) and Gone Too Soon (1991?)
  • Be Not Always (I don't remember when it was recorded, wasn't it late the 70s?) and Little Susie (1994?)
  • If You Don't Love Me and Another Day
  • Keep Your Head Up and Heal The World (OK, OK, I was joking)
  • Ok, it's only about a word, but I always felt like the way he says "Dangerous" in Bless His Soul (1978) reminded me of the way he says it in Dangerous (1991).

Now this is some meat and potatoes. Love this @Maxym.

If You Don't Love Me and Another Day
This one kinda is sounding right to me. I like this one.

Be Not Always (I don't remember when it was recorded, wasn't it late the 70s?) and Little Susie (1994?)
Be Not Always was definitely in the 80s, 1983 I'm sure. Little Susie originated 1978, but re-recorded in 94.

Back