'Sonic Fantasy' Documentary by Marcos Cabotá [MERGED]

I wonder is there a more finished version of Hot Street that hasn't been leaked yet?

Just watched Sonic Fantasy.
This is a very well done documentary which respects a lot the people involved on the making of the album. Bruce Swedien was an incredibly talented man and deserves a documentary like this to show how much value he brought to his work.

With that said, I don't really see this as the "Thriller documentary" that we really need. It shows great things about the creative process and how Swedien did his magic and how much involved he was. But honestly, I think that a Thriller documentary should be more in terms of what the "Bad" doc showed us.

I know that a lot of people don't like that doc because of the celebrities that appear and have nothing to do with it, but I do like that it shows so much of the process, footage of the making of it (which I know this doc could never have, to be fair) and also talks about all the songs in the album, one by one. Also, I think it's impossible not to have the short-films (especially Thriller) discussed in it.

Nevertheless, great work by Marcos and really enjoyed it.

Just watched Sonic Fantasy.
This is a very well done documentary which respects a lot the people involved on the making of the album. Bruce Swedien was an incredibly talented man and deserves a documentary like this to show how much value he brought to his work.

With that said, I don't really see this as the "Thriller documentary" that we really need. It shows great things about the creative process and how Swedien did his magic and how much involved he was. But honestly, I think that a Thriller documentary should be more in terms of what the "Bad" doc showed us.

I know that a lot of people don't like that doc because of the celebrities that appear and have nothing to do with it, but I do like that it shows so much of the process, footage of the making of it (which I know this doc could never have, to be fair) and also talks about all the songs in the album, one by one. Also, I think it's impossible not to have the short-films (especially Thriller) discussed in it.

Nevertheless, great work by Marcos and really enjoyed it.
Yeah the track by track thing is absolutely what I want from Thriller 40, I loved that in the Bad documentary.

What did the album sound like in order for them to have to mix it all over again? I am confused as to what it sounded like. Sonic Fantasy really didn't get into it.
Listen to TLIM from "The Songs Of Rod Temperton".

Listen to TLIM from "The Songs Of Rod Temperton".
Cut first chorus and cut second verse? They got the final product right. That first chorus and second verse that were cut sound out of place. Too long and too boring. Same with the longer version of Billie Jean.

Everything they did to cut down the album was actually for the better. Even if they cut Hot Street out also, that was for the better. Love that song, but it sounds so dated compared to what made the album.

This is where I give Quincy all the credit. He knew song selection.

I saw Sonic Fantasy last year when it was first available for purchase. At the time I enjoyed it, and I'm sure I still would if I saw it again.

But after hearing about the Estate's Thriller doc, with all the new footage and song rights etc, I can't help but wish there was a deal made with Marcos to sell his interviews to the estate to be used in an official capacity.
There's something odd when you're hearing about the process of creating Billie Jean or Beat It, but are instead hearing generic background music

Marcos did PM me the password after all, and I just finished watching it. It was very good! Was neat to hear about the technical aspects of the album, and I actually got emotional at one point which I wasn't expecting. It's a shame that they couldn't actually use Michael's music in this movie. We need more docs like this for sure; ones that focus on the creative process and not the bullshit.

i think its a nice documentary.

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvc1YxU2xMekEjRUl6QjR5U3cxbjk5dUczbGE5TGN1eXhPTTFBRXhiekdGVHVLbm9EbzVpZw==

Last edited:
Just watched the doc. What a great homage on Bruce Swedien, he really deserves it! But yeah, without the actual music the doc is not what it could have been. Still worth watching though...

Does anyone know where to find the original version of Thriller (before Bruce changed it)?

Did Bruce continue working with MJ on his last albums?

Last edited:
Would've been much better if Michaels music would've been cleared.....then the estate runs to Twitter to tell people about Michael not liking the first version of the album before remixing the songs.....we already knew it but it's obvious someone on MJs team watched it

Hey guys, I am dying to watch this documentary and I am afraid I will run out of time before the director DMs me the password (wrote him both on Twitter and Instagram), could someone, please private message me the password for the Vimeo? I am a die hard Thriller fan since the age of 8, I MUST SEE THIS!

Hey guys, I am dying to watch this documentary and I am afraid I will run out of time before the director DMs me the password (wrote him both on Twitter and Instagram), could someone, please private message me the password for the Vimeo? I am a die hard Thriller fan since the age of 8, I MUST SEE THIS!
its not a password, but try this...

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvc1YxU2xMekEjRUl6QjR5U3cxbjk5dUczbGE5TGN1eXhPTTFBRXhiekdGVHVLbm9EbzVpZw==

Anyone have the password or link where I can watch this please?

Beautiful documentary! More of what Thriller 40 should have aimed for and then some! The blood sweat and tears that went into this album are precisely why a documentary for it should be HOURS long. Always knew how instrumental Bruce was as an engineer but not to this extent, truly everyone involved was brilliant and helped make Thriller the BEST!

He said he can't get distribution so it's going to be released on DVD in Spain.
Hopefully he can get it released on physical media in other countries too... If not, we'll all be looking up how to crack region lockout on our players.

Hopefully he can get it released on physical media in other countries too... If not, we'll all be looking up how to crack region lockout on our players.
not every disc is region locked

Back