Sony closes deal on buying 50% stake of Mijac catalog

I know MJ had his problems with SONY back in 2001, but he got Mottolla removed and then made a new contract with SONY and worked with SONY again. - I am also quite sure that had MJ not died his next new album would also be released by SONY.

So all the SONY hate seems outdated and wrong.

In 2024 many big acts sell their cataloug. The amount MJ Estate got is impressive.

I see this as a good deal.
you got to be kidding

They already sold the Beatles catalog anyway, that was the weighty part of this and it's been gone so MJ fans lost that part anyway. MJ had already sold a stake in 1995 so that's old news too.

you got to be kidding

Not one bit... It's logical and good management. And the Estate still owns 50 %

Smart move - had MJ been alive he would propably had done this himself. The music industry is totally different than when MJ was against a sale.

MJ was a great businessman and he would see this as great business too I think.

It seems no beneficiary fully agrees with this and its seems like a quick buck and like a publicity stunt to make the estate look good.
Well, the beneficiaries are an extremely old woman and children (who will never and never had to work for anything). So what do they know? You think they know more than the legends and their business managers who already full out sold their catalogs?? The trust is worth 1,5 billion. The trust already is a multi-generational project. No one in that branch of family will ever have to work a single day. How much more money do you think they need for this "quick buck" thing being a bad thing?? And just so you don't forget, they still get 50 % of whatever that catalog is making and have control over what is happening with the music. So that legacy is safe.

They already sold the Beatles catalog anyway, that was the weighty part of this and it's been gone so MJ fans lost that part anyway. MJ had already sold a stake in 1995 so that's old news too.
He sold nothing. He formed a company with Sony. But whatever. That was then. Things change.

Prince and Paris are hardly "children", they are both in the mid 20s and older than Michael was when he released Thriller, I wouldn't call Bigi a child either.
In the big scheme of things they are. And what do they know about business?

Back