Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Its stunning to me hiw the quintessential soul/r&b album in the history of recorded music was shunned for ages but is now being revered, even though in 2016 its being referred to as a pop album when it was not

The special edition release of OTW in 2001 barely received a press clipping

I guess eventually everything comes full circle, eventually the spirit of the universe wins out

The 2001 SE didn't receive much press because it was released a week before Invincible. Invincible was the focus at that time.

Its stunning to me hiw the quintessential soul/r&b album in the history of recorded music was shunned for ages but is now being revered

Shunned for ages by who? That is not true at all. Everything you see or read in the media is Off The Wall and Thriller, Off The Wall and Thriller like he never recorded anything after that. All other albums are shunned especially Dangerous, HIStory & Invincible, not Off The Wall.

Im very aware of that, strategically released before Invincibles release to spark interest for Invincible

And vice versa. People heard a new Michael Jackson album was coming out, and saw the re-releases and thought "ooooh look, the old albums with new songs. Lets buy this". Very well done.

Even At 15 I most certainly did not care about re-releases with a brand f'ing new Michael Jackson album coming out!!!

Shunned for ages by who? That is not true at all. Everything you see or read in the media is Off The Wall and Thriller, Off The Wall and Thriller like he never recorded anything after that. All other albums are shunned especially Dangerous, HIStory & Invincible, not Off The Wall.

Im not referring to the media

And vice versa. People heard a new Michael Jackson album was coming out, and saw the re-releases and thought "ooooh look, the old albums with new songs. Lets buy this". Very well done.

Even At 15 I most certainly did not care about re-releases with a brand f'ing new Michael Jackson album coming out!!!

A testament to my point

Though when I was 15 when Bad was about to be released, I was still listening to his previous albums as if they had just been released

Sony issued those special editions when they did because they knew they had to pull off all the stops to try and spark interest for Invincible especially here in America

Are you saying Off The Wall 2001 Special Edition should not have been over shadowed by the impending release of his first full length solo album since 1995?

What Im saying is, when OTW reached its 25th anniversary in 2004, outside of that Number Ones Special that aired on CBS which showed snippets of that Triumph Tour footage, there was no mention of it

A testament to my point

Though when I was 15 when Bad was about to be released, I was still listening to his previous albums as if they had just been released

Sony issued those special editions when they did because they knew they had to pull off all the stops to try and spark interest for Invincible especially here in America

You are contradicting yourself now. One minute you are saying that they werent promoted enough, next thing you are saying they were the promotion for Invincible.

I was still listening to those albums but I dont know any Michael Jackson fan who would be more excited about a re-release with demo recordings and Quincy Jones interviews over a new album 70+ minutes long.

I just think you are wrong in what you think, personally.

What Im saying is, when OTW reached its 25th anniversary in 2004, outside of that Number Ones Special that aired on CBS which showed snippets of that Triumph Tour footage, there was no mention of it

No, that isnt what you are saying. You were referring specifically to the 2001 releases, just to remind you.

Its stunning to me how the quintessential soul/r&b album in the history of recorded music was shunned for ages but is now being revered, even though in 2016 its being referred to as a pop album when it was not

The special edition release of OTW in 2001 barely received a press clipping

I guess eventually everything comes full circle, eventually the spirit of the universe wins out

You are contradicting yourself now. One minute you are saying that they werent promoted enough, next thing you are saying they were the promotion for Invincible.

I was still listening to those albums but I dont know any Michael Jackson fan who would be more excited about a re-release with demo recordings and Quincy Jones interviews over a new album 70+ minutes long.

I just think you are wrong in what you think, personally.

Im not contraditing myself, OTW special edition was released when it was not to promote it directly, but to stoke interest for Invincible

Im not contraditing myself, OTW special edition was released when it was not to promote it directly, but to stoke interest for Invincible

Then why on earth do you think it unfair that Off The Wall didnt get enough publicity (to you) at that time if it was just being used to make sure Invincible sold!?!

It makes no sense. It was a re-release that was nicely tied in with the first new MJ album in 6 years and the hype that surrounded it. I just think you are wrong.

Because Michael didn't want to live in the past. He always wanted to create new music. At start he even didn't want to do Thriller 25.

Michael lived in the past at least partially. Perhaps not with music but he did repeat proven formulas.

https://www.facebook.com/ForumForeverMichael/videos/1046283992109261/

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/fr_FR/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="/ForumForeverMichael/videos/vb.388936241177376/1046283992109261/?type=3"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/ForumForeverMichael/videos/1046283992109261/"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/ForumForeverMichael/videos/1046283992109261/"></a><p>Michael Jackson &quot;Rare&quot; Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough</p>Posté par <a href="https://www.facebook.com/ForumForeverMichael/">MJ Brasil: Forever Michael</a> sur samedi 6 février 2016</blockquote></div></div>

Really? I loved her. She was my fav talking head, especially for the reasons you listed. What's wrong with remembering a time where her, like many girls, thought the same thing?
I didn't mind her saying these things, but her voice are really annoying, and it made me say "STFU" out loud

Last edited:
Really? I loved her. She was my fav talking head, especially for the reasons you listed. What's wrong with remembering a time where her, like many girls, thought the same thing?

I dunno what more you wanted. Did you wanna hear Bruce talk about the specific microphones or Quincy talk about what session piano player was in the room for the one song?

To be quite honest I would have preferred that. The documentary after all should have been focused on the creation of Off the Wall rather than listening to random celebrity cameos.

Perez was my least favorite because she just was so unnecessary. I like hearing positivity and anecdotes like she offers but she constantly let off this frustrated atmosphere like she never got the opportunity to date Michael. She was just very self-centered and irritating. Her and Kobe Bryant being there made no sense to me whatsoever.

I get that sometimes we say our opinions (likes/dislikes) simply to have conversation with other fellow MJ fans.. But I'd think after the dozens of MJ documentaries that never got music/footage rights with corny back ground music and NOTHING but people talking about Michael that we would all find appreciation for the docs Spike made.. This is a director that does not NEED MJ documentaries to get attention, this is a man that directs big motion pictures that sell millions... He is a highly decorated director that do these documentaries and an annual fan event for the LOVE of MJ..

I get that sometimes we say our opinions (likes/dislikes) simply to have conversation with other fellow MJ fans.. But I'd think after the dozens of MJ documentaries that never got music/footage rights with corny back ground music and NOTHING but people talking about Michael that we would all find appreciation for the docs Spike made.. This is a director that does not NEED MJ documentaries to get attention, this is a man that directs big motion pictures that sell millions... He is a highly decorated director that do these documentaries and an annual fan event for the LOVE of MJ..

Agree.

Funny - or not so funny - that MJJC is by far the most negative place when it comes to this documentary. In the general public it had a very positive impact, which is what these documentaries need to do.

^ Yeah, well I feel that post June 25th 2009 many peoples demeanor changed... I think a combo of just (overall sadness / Misguided anger / the unknown) plays a part.. Also, the fact that everyone here no longer has that thought in the back of the head "Maybe Michael is secretly watching MJJC posts" gives everyone the freedom to say things they want....

Many things are written here that I know if they knew MJ read would either NOT be said or very differently!

Agree.

Funny - or not so funny - that MJJC is by far the most negative place when it comes to this documentary. In the general public it had a very positive impact, which is what these documentaries need to do.

I don't think MJJC had negative reaction. I think it had more positive impact than negative. I liked it a lot. Didn't say much and didn't write any review because I wanted to watch it again before I write anything. And just can't find the time to watch it again. Also I haven't seen many reviews here by other fans. There were mainly just short comments and they were mostly positive with small objections.

Oh god yes i agree
i remember thinking back then "this is so cool michael is reading our posts!! :wild: :wild: "and feeling so excited he was. Now that hes no longer here that excitment feels like it never happened :(

Agree.

Is it? I've been avoiding this thread as I won't be seeing the documentary until it's officially released, but from the bits of feedback I've read it seems to be generally a positive vibe with bits of nitpicking here and there that's to be expected. I think the majority of fan reaction and reviews have been quite favourable? I'm really looking forward to it based on the bits I've read.

Well, maybe it's not generally negative, but when people go on about miniscule negative points for pages and they blow them out of proportion it does feel more negative than the general public's reaction to it on social media etc. Not saying they do not have the right to express a negative opinion and even to go on about miniscule negative points for pages - they do, of course. It's simply an observation.

I take this documentary (as I did with Bad25) for what it is. Is it perfect? No. Fans may also have an idea about how it could have been better. But overall it's a positive thing that it happened because it does seem to bring a lot of positive attention on MJ generally and on OTW specifically. Which is exactly what we need from docs like this.

Of course, it would have been nice if it could have provided more insight into MJ's creative process, more in-depth info and stuff like that, but It's obvious since Bad 25 that these are not the documentaries that will do that. I just appreciate them for what they are and generally they are a positive addition to MJ's legacy IMO. They are definitely something I would show to a non-fan to raise interest in MJ. And if they want in-depth info they can go on and research them on fan websites and blogs and books.

Well, maybe it's not generally negative, but when people go on about miniscule negative points for pages and they blow them out of proportion it does feel more negative than the general public's reaction to it on social media etc. Not saying they do not have the right to express a negative opinion and even to go on about miniscule negative points for pages - they do, of course. It's simply an observation.

I take this documentary (as I did with Bad25) for what it is. Is it perfect? No. Fans may also have an idea about how it could have been better. But overall it's a positive thing that it happened because it does seem to bring a lot of positive attention on MJ generally and on OTW specifically. Which is exactly what we need from docs like this.

Of course, it would have been nice if it could have provided more insight into MJ's creative process, more in-depth info and stuff like that, but It's obvious since Bad 25 that these are not the documentaries that will do that. I just appreciate them for what they are and generally they are a positive addition to MJ's legacy IMO. They are definitely something I would show to a non-fan to raise interest in MJ. And if they want in-depth info they can go on and research them on fan websites and blogs and books.

It's kinda funny that after two full length 2 hours documentaries we know more about MJ's song writing process from a 5 min extract from the Dangerous Deposition lol.. But I agree with you, I just take it for what it is and i'm very happy that MJ's work still gets celebrated and remembered.

Back