Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

When the Estate says the album will be presented in it's original form, does that just mean no bonus tracks or will it have the original mixes of Rock With You and Get on the Floor as presented on the original Vinyl release? Only reason I would question it is because it appears they are bringing back the original cover so perhaps they would include the album as it was originally released too, or is that just really wishful thinking?

Also, I normally am not a big fan of digipaks but in this case it would be really cool if this came in a digipak that replicated the original Vinyl's gatefold packaging design.
Great point, if Bad25 is anything to go by it won't be the original album mix. Nice to see the original cover back, would like a replicated gatefold.

Great point, if Bad25 is anything to go by it won't be the original album mix. Nice to see the original cover back, would like a replicated gatefold.
Ooh yeah! Since 01 all of them have been like that starting with the s.editions

I wonder if the lack of expected success the estate got with Bad 25 (doc and album reissue) has anything to do with them holding back some material for this release...?

Bubs;4126879 said:
-gives fans a chance to get creative with Michael’s original concept for the album artwork. (You’ll see when you get it!)
I wonder what is that?

Apparently, getting creative is writing anything you want in the softpak with a piece of chalk, like you're writing on a wall.
Info from the Amazon pre-order link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"This exclusive edition of Michael Jackson's revolutionary 1979 recording Off The Wall includes the original album bundled with the new documentary Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall, directed by Spike Lee. The deluxe softpak includes a 16-page booklet containing a new essay and photography plus a piece of chalk and inside panels with a chalkboard finish."

tMeh i was hoping they would release something like " behind the scences of making of dangerous album" or history tour on dvd. I guess i'll wait till it comes on tv and see what it like before i buy it on dvd

When the Estate says the album will be presented in it's original form, does that just mean no bonus tracks or will it have the original mixes of Rock With You and Get on the Floor as presented on the original Vinyl release? Only reason I would question it is because it appears they are bringing back the original cover so perhaps they would include the album as it was originally released too, or is that just really wishful thinking?

Also, I normally am not a big fan of digipaks but in this case it would be really cool if this came in a digipak that replicated the original Vinyl's gatefold packaging design.

Forget trying to replicate the original vinyl!!! Reissue the album on vinyl!!!!! We got vinyl releases for Thriller 25 and Bad 25. Plus Dangerous was just reissued a month ago. Please give us OTW on vinyl!

Not interested in this whatsoever. Does Sony & The Estate really expect us to buy this simply for the documentary DVD? What a joke. I'm not buying a re-release of an album I already have in my collection. They could EASILY add demos and unreleased material to this collection. I could name 10 tracks they could add to a 2nd disc. The explanation that there isn't much of anything to include is 100% BULLSNOT!

And putting the documentary on Showtime.....REALLY! Wow way to make people pay to watch it. Why not just put it on pay per view and jack up the price more.

IF there's a Dangerous 25 package later this year....I hope to hell it's better then this pile of hot steaming dog crap.

So much for Goin' To Rio......:rant:

Apparently, getting creative is writing anything you want in the softpak with a piece of chalk, like you're writing on a wall.
Info from the Amazon pre-order link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"This exclusive edition of Michael Jackson's revolutionary 1979 recording Off The Wall includes the original album bundled with the new documentary Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall, directed by Spike Lee. The deluxe softpak includes a 16-page booklet containing a new essay and photography plus a piece of chalk and inside panels with a chalkboard finish."

A piece of chalk :rofl:

tbh, I'm not that surprised by this news. I really only care about the documentary. I don't have Showtime, so I suppose I'll be watching it online.

This is devastating! I should start marking my calendar for the 50tj anniversary edition, maybe then we'll get a damn tour in HD on Blu Ray. I'm starting to believe the fans have more of an archive than the estate does. It's really disheartening that other artist who are not even close to the caliber of Michael Jackson are releasing their concerts on Blu Ray from the 60s and 70s. I mean for the last two releases the fans were waiting on, their were freaking disclaimers about the quality of the material, and again another disclaimer. Please make it stop. This documentary had better be SPECTACULAR. Smdh.

I appreciated reading the responses to the Estate’s statement.

The Estate consistently issues statements to defend itself.

We are sure some will be disappointed that there is not extra material, but as everyone knows, this album was early in Michael’s career. He did not write or record the number of songs for this album as he did for later releases nor did he do any filming using his own camera crews of the making of his short films or other events.

Michael is blameworthy for yet another Estate action.

Without a wealth of material in the archives, the Estate and Sony decided to take a different approach with this release – strip it down and keep it simple and allow everyone to celebrate the album that started it all with a fun, specially designed, collectible package that holds both the album as originally released along with this special documentary and gives fans a chance to get creative with Michael’s original concept for the album artwork. (You’ll see when you get it!)

I hope that no one confuses simplicity with simple laziness.

This is the same Estate that has billed Michael’s beneficiaries’ seven figures every year since his passing on legalities alone. I do not believe anyone is preventing the Estate/Sony from releasing anything regarding OTW. The Estate simply lacks the interest in creating a product befitting Michael despite their extraordinary compensation and would prefer and encourage fans to create any and all scenarios that remove blame from the Estate when they are blameworthy.

By the way, OTW started what exactly? Michael was legend BEFORE OTW!

Allow me to backtrack a moment as it seems I may have been one of the fans they listened to or, at the very least, heard but, misunderstood. This was my response regarding the low sales of Bad25:

Spike Lee’s documentary is the best ad for Bad and won’t be seen in its entirety until February 2013!

THE TRUE PROBLEM WAS PACKAGING!!!

Why not pair the documentary with the original cd and demos as one product and the live dvd with its cd as another???

To sell someone something they already have, one must repackage correctly. If the live cd was packaged with the dvd, MJ would be number one NOW and not just on the catalogue chart. Sony and the executors are responsible for packaging and did not do it correctly.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...hy-low-sales?p=3751042&viewfull=1#post3751042

Yes, I submitted reasoning that the Bad25 documentary should be released with the cd and this is indeed the scenario for OTW35. I believe this is the correct packaging for OTW35. However; I was not aware OTW would not include any demos.

While it may be a secret to the Estate/Sony, most new generation fans do not purchase cd/dvd combinations offered by artists they are being introduced to. The only value for all other fans - labeled old generation fans, I assume - is the documentary because of the Estate/Sony’s laziness to include demos and/or an OTW era video concert that would have been treasured and viewed everyday because of its entertainment value, preciousness, and stellar video/audio quality. How disrespectful to the old generation of fans who are financially supporting this Estate despite its several subpar products and consistent missed opportunities and missteps.

A correctly packaged product may now not be successful due to lacking content. Who will then be to blame? Hint: it should not be Michael.

Adding:

Liberian Man;4126939 said:
Smh we can't even get bad 25 on dvd/blu-ray right now & on that tip we where still lied to about "extra footage". & why would u say anything about extras? We by far know what this doc has offer. As of this moment the whole documentary is exclusive right now

We were not lied to. Estate/Sony did not allow for extras despite Lee possessing and publicizing that he had extra footage. Very similar to how Michael has demos from OTW and there is footage of him during that era that would have been amazing on the OTW CD that will not contain demos/alternate takes and the OTW DVD that will most likely not contain extras.

THE DOCUMENTARY – Produced by Spike Lee, John Branca and John McClain. For Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall, director Spike Lee assembles a wealth of archival footage, including material from Michael's personal archive, interviews with contemporary talents and family members, and Michael's own words and image to create this insightful chronicle from the star's early rise to fame through the release of this seminal album.

Lee has access to footage from other events during the era as per the Estate/Sony's press release which is opposite of what is suggested in the Estate's statement. Ah well.

Partial list of interviews: Lee Daniels; The Weeknd; Pharrell Williams; Misty Copeland, Kobe Bryant; Mark Ronson; John Legend; Questlove; Katherine Jackson; Joe Jackson, Marlon Jackson, Jackie Jackie L.A. Reid and more.

Jackie Jackson, not Jackie Jackie.

Interesting that there was little commentary about the listing of commentators. Unfortunately some commentators only deepen the wound of this statement and product offering.

Last edited:
Pros: No crappy Pitbull remixes,
no contemporizations (glorified remixes)
new packaging,
brand new documentary,
recognition of a great album

cons:
no demos
no concerts
no bonus material
more interviews from people who weren't involved with the album
re-release of already available album

I have to kind of applaud the Estate for not putting out something like the Kurt Cobain "album" from last year, which was just practically just noise from a tape recorder.
I know the diehard fans here (including me) would be happy with anything. I would like to think that there is material available but they didn't think it was up to snuff or worth restoring, whatever the case.

Furthermore, I worry about what's left in the vault. Either they are holding back, stuff got lost, or there isn't enough in their possession and they are scraping the barrel. It almost feels like Sony bought a storage unit that wasn't worth the price.

It almost feels like Sony bought a storage unit that wasn't worth the price.

I strongly disagree. Sony received a discount.

There is precious gold in the unit. Those responsible for the precious gold are ill-equip to care for it appropriately. It is far too bright for their understanding and so they distance themselves from it and do not allow it to shine as it should.

The precious gold remains valuable despite being hidden and not truly being appreciated by those responsible to care for it.

Forget trying to replicate the original vinyl!!! Reissue the album on vinyl!!!!! We got vinyl releases for Thriller 25 and Bad 25. Plus Dangerous was just reissued a month ago. Please give us OTW on vinyl!

Dangerous was reissued a month ago????..... when ? Cuz i dont remember that :blink: :blink:

So basically they're making us buy the whole package...i guess because otw Is still on shelves & online. The SAME EXACT CD, how many times can it be remastered UNLESS.....they really remastered it instead of lying & doing what they did to bad25 with the loudness. Smh they can't ever do anything right!

No one is making you anything. You are free not to buy it. I am sure no one is pointing a gun at your head to buy it.

Would you please calm down? It's one thing to be disappointed, it's another to throw tantrums.

(And how many accounts do you have? Wasn't your other account banned? You know where you lied you were a woman, among others. LOL. So you are the last person to be upset about the Estate supposedly "lying".)

I am not particularly bothered by current stars being in the doc if it's kept at a very minimum, but I wish Spike had selected his subjects a bit more carefully. John Legend and his wife said some crap about MJ before. His wife favourited a tweet that said about MJ "why do people celebrate a pedophile's birthday", among others. I wish fakes and hypocrites would never be included in MJ documentaries.

respect77;4127071 said:
I am not particularly bothered by current stars being in the doc if it's kept at a very minimum, but I wish Spike had selected his subjects a bit more carefully. John Legend and his wife said some crap about MJ before. His wife favourited a tweet that said about MJ "why do people celebrate a pedophile's birthday", among others. I wish fakes and hypocrites would never be included in MJ documentaries.

I'm iffy about Legend being interviewed for this documentary too:puke:
Spike may have not been aware of what Johnny said about MJ, but Johnny himself should have had some self-respect and decline considering his views of MJ:

"“I wonder what young black kids are thinking now as we glorify MJ who went through such lengths to change his complexion and have white kids interesting to think about in the context of the comments about the complexion of the kids at the pool. Just to be clear, I’m very much an MJ fan and I believe he should be celebrated. Just acknowledging that there were some troubling and sad aspects of his life that should at least be thought-provoking to us. Ok, enough “deep thoughts” for tonight. Hope I didn’t offend w/ the MJ thoughts. I truly appreciate and respect him as an artist…And my comments were in no way meant as a diss to him. Just looking at bigger questions that came to mind with the Philly incident”"

Hopefully Johnny has made aware of MJ's medical conditional and he is less ignorant these days.

I suppose it is hard to find any person who hasn't got opinion of MJ or who hasn't jumped on the diss MJ bandwagon at any time:(

Anyways, I'm looking forward seeing this documentary and I won't let JL involvement to dampen my excitement.

While it is very laudable to aim a release at new fans, I didn't realise they meant the very, very young! Do we really want chalk dust all over our packaging? (and everything else it touches)? Sadly chalkboard only makes me think of school and people screeching chalk down it to set your teeth on edge. Not a very harmonious association.

Last edited:
Hmm, packaged with the CD?
Mixed feelings about this.
Whatever.
Also, if you wanna get TECHNICAL, i wasn't expecting a Triumph Tour dvd. Mostly because it was a Jacksons tour. HOPEFULLY SOME DAY, those Jacksons tours will get their shine.
Hopefully the tour at least gets mentioned in the doc.

I wish Bad 25 doc was packaged with the Bad 25 release, but that may have not coincided well with the other stuff in that package or the TV airings.
Having the cd/dvd packaging called BAD 25 and the doc called BAD 25 was probably confusing to some people.

I do like that they are actually airing this on TV and releasing it in stores (presumably), unlike the horrid release of Bad 25 (wtf was with the decision to not put it in stores and taking FOREVER to put it in iTunes/Amazon stores??)

So no new material/demos/etc with the CD portion? It's like they dont want some of us to buy it or something.
Give me at least an acapella or an instrumental. I mean, damn!

I'm Spikes doc will be fun, tho. I enjoyed Bad 25.

/rant

Also, why are people put off that contemporary people are in this? Most documentaries like this have talking heads to provide perspective and personal takes to move the story along ON TOP of the people actually involved in said thing.

I'm glad Questlove and Pharrell in particular are among them, especially for this album.

I seriously don't get it why people take it like personal insult if the release is not what they were expecting?
If they are to release perfect product, they would have to release it in million different ways so that all of the millions fan's individual tastes are met.
If they put demos into release, there are people who complain that MJ wouldn't have wanted it.
If they put only remixes, people complain they only want to hear how MJ left them, and so on.

There have not been one release that everybody was happy about it, and to be honest, I'm not really surprised as if you read Michael Mania threads, some people even complain that MJ himself could have done better with some releases:)

As for what comes to not including tours with this release. I see it that this packaged as MJ start with solo career, and putting concert with Jackson is not solo stuff and doesn't go with intended theme.

People who complain about have to buy the bundle. I'm sure documentary will be available in the internet streaming (as per announcement) so you don't have to buy album. Most of us have this album, but they do want to introduce MJ new fans that will carry on MJ's legacy to future.

I seriously don't get it why people take it like personal insult if the release is not what they were expecting?
If they are to release perfect product, they would have to release it in million different ways so that all of the millions fan's individual tastes are met.
If they put demos into release, there are people who complain that MJ wouldn't have wanted it.
If they put only remixes, people complain they only want to hear how MJ left them, and so on.

There have not been one release that everybody was happy about it, and to be honest, I'm not really surprised as if you read Michael Mania threads, some people even complain that MJ himself could have done better with some releases:)

As for what comes to not including tours with this release. I see it that this packaged as MJ start with solo career, and putting concert with Jackson is not solo stuff and doesn't go with intended theme.

People who complain about have to buy the bundle. I'm sure documentary will be available in the internet streaming (as per announcement) so you don't have to buy album. Most of us have this album, but they do want to introduce MJ new fans that will carry on MJ's legacy to future.

Well said Bubs.

'Cant please all the people all of the time' - Even if they had included bonus tracks or Triumph tour there would be people jumping up and down complaining about quality or the fact Michael didn't want it released etc., etc.

While it is very laudable to aim a release at new fans, I didn't realise they meant 5-year olds! Do we really want chalk dust all over our packaging? (and everything else it touches)? Sadly chalkboard only makes me think of school and people screeching chalk down it to set your teeth on edge. Not a very harmonious association.

:D
They took this release the whole new level by trying to introduce MJ to new generations:giggle:

Well said Bubs.

'Cant please all the people all of the time' - Even if they had included bonus tracks or Triumph tour there would be people jumping up and down complaining about quality or the fact Michael didn't want it released etc., etc.

True.
I probably would have been the wrong concert anyways, like Wembley was wrong one in Bad25 release, although thats what fans been begging to be released for years :giggle:

They mentioned it on GMA

I love how they make it sound like Off The Wall is this old obscure album that young college kids haven't heard of lol. There are pre-teens today who know about Off The Wall

Hmm, packaged with the CD?
Mixed feelings about this.
Whatever.
Also, if you wanna get TECHNICAL, i wasn't expecting a Triumph Tour dvd. Mostly because it was a Jacksons tour. HOPEFULLY SOME DAY, those Jacksons tours will get their shine.
Hopefully the tour at least gets mentioned in the doc.

I wish Bad 25 doc was packaged with the Bad 25 release, but that may have not coincided well with the other stuff in that package or the TV airings.
Having the cd/dvd packaging called BAD 25 and the doc called BAD 25 was probably confusing to some people.

I do like that they are actually airing this on TV and releasing it in stores (presumably), unlike the horrid release of Bad 25 (wtf was with the decision to not put it in stores and taking FOREVER to put it in iTunes/Amazon stores??)

So no new material/demos/etc with the CD portion? It's like they dont want some of us to buy it or something.
Give me at least an acapella or an instrumental. I mean, damn!

I'm Spikes doc will be fun, tho. I enjoyed Bad 25.

/rant

The Triumph Tour was performed by the brothers as a whole but a great number of songs performed were from OTW, featuring every song that reached the top 10 on the charts

but there may be another reason why we may never get to see that footage

Back