Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

Did lady Gaga 2011 special air on Thanksgiving day pitted againts the NFL ?

I think there's always NFL on Thanksgiving, but I think much depends also on who plays. The New England Patriots are one of the most popular teams.

Well, let's keep things in perspective.

ABC had very poor shows leading up to Bad 25: Charlie Brown had 4.0M down 33%. So BAD 25 did pick up a bit. It was ABC's highest rated show for the night. Aside from running the 30 sec commercial on the network, there was no other advertisement.

Instead of giving Randal Sullivan a primetime slot to plug his book last week, ABC could have used the 10 minutes to discuss the upcoming BAD 25 special.

There was no appearance on The View. nothing on Jimmy Kimmel. Nothing on GMA (except for a 10-second mention on Tuesday).

Gaga had a 5.5M ( and I am sure she had several appearances to plug her special) and Beyonce had a 4.2M. A 4.6 (4.5 depending on the source) isn't bad at all. I am curious to know how many DVR'd the show last night or how many are watching it on Hulu

And let's not forget the fact that several major stores open at 8PM last night, instead of the usual after midnight.

considering this year's circumstances, I think it did well enough. I hope many other people will have to opportunity to watch it on Hulu.

Featuring a slew of performances (one with Tony Bennett) and an interview wtih Katie Couric, A Very Gaga Thanksgiving (5.5 million total viewers, 1.6 rating in adults 18-49 demographic) proved to be beneficial for ABC, boosting the network's time period performance from last year (when it aired a Beyonce music special) by 23 percent in the core adults 18-49 demo and drew more than 1 million more viewers. The 90-minute special helped ABC post its best Thanksgiving ratings since 2007. Charlie Brown Thanksgiving drew slightly more viewers at 8 p.m., luring 5.7 million and averaging a higher 1.8 rating.

So basically, after watching Charlie Brown most people stayed to watch Gaga. She didn't have that disastrous "Modern Family" in between. Add to the fact this year, CB lost 1.7M viewers (CB only had 4M), so BAD had a lot to make up for.

This can be spinned anyway you want, but of course the media will use MJ's name in a negative story to grab headlines.

ETA: One last thing and the media will not point it out....Gaga LOST viewers (CB had given her a 5.7M headstart and she ended up 5.5 so 200K people tuned out) ...while Michael gained viewers. Had MJ had a nice lead-in, just like Gaga's, this would have been a different story.

Last edited:

Sorry what I meant was did Gaga special air on Thanksgiving day last year?

"Last truly successful abum." Why do they say things like that? That is demonstrably false.

Alot of BS at the minute regarding 'Bad'. I'm almost certain Dangerous outsold Bad.

Remember there are loads of people like myself who DVR'd this, so more than 4.5 million will see this. You see all the time when DVR numbers are added, there is another 2-5 million viewers.

Remember there are loads of people like myself who DVR'd this, so more than 4.5 million will see this. You see all the time when DVR numbers are added, there is another 2-5 million viewers.

Does Neilsen add DVR numbers to their final ratings?

And where is Lady Gaga a year later? I haven't heard squat about her. Taylor Swift seems to be the songstress of the moment. Meanwhile, 25 years after BAD, MJ gets 4.4 million.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/1...es-a-fresh-look-at-an-iconic-artist-and-album

Spike Lee Documentary on Michael Jackson: Bad 25 Gives a Fresh Look at an Iconic Artist and Album
It’s difficult to talk about Michael Jackson’s achievements without sounding banal. He’s a legend. An icon. A god to millions. These are undeniable facts, but perhaps more essential to a portrait of this musical paragon is his character, his struggles, and his identity. Spike Lee’s new documentary Bad 25 celebrates these aspects of Jackson's work with telling interviews and never-before-seen footage of the production of Bad — Jackson's seventh album and follow-up to [lexicon]Thriller[/lexicon], the best selling album of all time. It offers a rare behind-the-scenes glimpse of an astoundingly ambitious artistic vision and the creative drive that made it possible.

What is great about this film is its commitment to showing Jackson in the context of his personal relationships with, and his influence on, his friends and fellow musicians. By interviewing a variety of people who worked with Jackson during the ‘Bad Era’ as well as contemporary music luminaries, Lee shows a new perspective on the influence this album had on musicians and the way Jackson inspired those who worked with him to think outside the box —Jackson's forte. While there are many interviews with celebrities like Martin Scorcese, Kanye West, Mariah Carey, and Chris Brown, it’s the lesser-known figures who worked personally with Michael on Bad that really color in Spike’s portrayal of this crucial era in Jackson's career.

The documentary is replete with new footage that showcases Jackson's talent and virtuosity in dance, singing and songwriting — the footage of him proves this as well — and goes further to show how involved Jackson was in the minutiae of his work. He was a perfectionist of the highest order, and he thought out every detail to ensure his vision remained true. I particularly like when they discuss a note Jackson made to himself to get the shoes he wanted for a video in advance, so he could break them in. This attention to detail — not just a complement to but also a function of innate talent — is a hallmark of the level of genius Jackson's work demonstrates. It’s often easy to forget just how hard great minds still need to work to create great art.

This film focuses mainly on the production and influence of Bad and its music videos — a very impressive examination — but ends on a sobering note when it addresses his passing with a montage of reactions by those close to Jackson. The sadness his untimely death evokes in his friends and peers reminds one of the humanity in even the god-like figures, like Jackson. It’s a beautiful yet harrowing way to end a thoughtful exploration of the musical processes of, perhaps, the most iconic and entertainer of all time.

Come on people, the subject matter is the making-of a 25 yr old album. Salute the power of MJ, that abc gave 90 mins to Bad 25. Name an artist dead or alive who can get 30 mins, much less 90 mins of free network tv for a making -of what ever.?

The NFL slaughters every thing in its path, even baseball playoffs and world series games. So not at all an upset that on thanksgiving (turkey and football) the NFL crushed the competition.

Come on people, the subject matter is the making-of a 25 yr old album. Salute the power of MJ, that abc gave 90 mins to Bad 25. Name an artist dead or alive who can get 30 mins, much less 90 mins of free network tv for a making -of what ever.?

The NFL slaughters every thing in its path, even baseball playoffs and world series games. So not at all an upset that on thanksgiving (turkey and football) the NFL crushed the competition.

Exactly. What 25 year old album do you know of would've done bigger numbers?

The ratings were good.

The sad part from BAD 25 :(

No. Everyone says they should, but they don't.

I can understand why they won't. I watched the show live and DVR'd it (Watched it a total of 5 times lat night & this morning :) ). Wouldn't they double count some people?

I totally loved the documentary! I wish it hadn't been so short and heavily edited, so bring on the blu-ray! The world deserves to see more documentaries like this aired on TV, which show Michael the creator. I feel like we are being denied so much simply because they choose to focus on Michael's personal life instead. This doc felt like Christmas come early. I was over the moon! :D Siedah Garrett made me laugh, especially on the Man in the Mirror story. The part where they show all the collaborators breaking down into tears, was hard to watch. Of course I cried afterward :cry: I love you more Michael :heart:

Tatiana Thumbtzen kisses Michael Jackson - New York City, March 3, 1988

Your instinct about Nelson George is spot on. He and the lady journalist were part of the black community extremely critical of MJ, accusing him of abondoning his roots, wanting to be white. They did not accept he had vitiligo. And offered zero support during the allegations.

Why were they interviewed then if they felt that way? They don't think that now?

As for the ratings, I wouldn't worry about it. Lady gaga did 5.5 last year and Beyonce did 4.4 in 2010. Michael did 4.6? These writers that like to gloat about do realize that Michael is dead. These girls are very much alive and can actually promote their work and projects. Michael can hang in there with 'the best" of today. Nothing beats football especially on thanksgiving.

One thing was funny to me and that when John Branca said he suggested to Michael that he do an album of cover songs instead of doing the Bad album for less pressure and he said Michael looked at him like was from Mars lol. There is nothing wrong with doing cover songs but you just know Michael wanted to do his own work.

I am disappointed that the kids don't say anything about this. It was so positive and great for Michael. We hear them talk about energy drinks and such they help Aunt latoya with. I don't think they are brainwashed. This past summer showed they have a mind of their own. I don't know what is going on but it's just too bad. I don't think they realize how refreshing and great it was to see something so positive and respectful about Michael on national tv.

I think this was very powerful...Look who we have lost, look at the effect this amazing, genius man has on people :cry:
I think it was very important to have that part in the doc :cry: to show the reaction of those who know and worked with him. That questionthrew them off guard, brought them back to reality and those reactions were heartfelt /real. It gives the audience a look at his humanity and that he was a real person that touched the lives of so many. It showed how much he was loved and respected by his piers. Even 3 years later his loss brings such a strong emotion from grown men. They still weep at his loss just as many men screamed and giggled like school girls just to be in his presence or watch him perform. The world needs reminded of who it was we lost and just how much Michael meant to so many. It is my hope that watching this Doc will bring the audience to understand and they will feel it in their heart to respect and love Michael too.

I think it was very important to have that part in the doc :cry: to show the reaction of those who know and worked with him. That question brought them back to reality and those reactions were heartfelt / real. It gives the audience a look at his humanity and that he was a real person that touched the lives of so many. It showed how much he was loved and respected by his piers. Even 3 years later his loss brings such a strong emotion from grown men. They still weep at his loss just as many men screamed and giggled like school girls just to be in his presence or watch him perform. The world needs reminded of who it was we lost and just how much Michael meant to so many. It is my hope that watching that will bring the audience to understand and they will feel it in their heart to respect and love Michael too.

I completely agree....you could see it was well planned out to have this type of reaction...and I'm glad they did it this way...

After watching the doc, throughout the whole thing, we're nostalgic, reminded of his music, short films, and impact on popular music...but the end was to show, 'See? This is who we have lost..and look at how he was treated...he didn't deserve this...'

I just thought it was completely right on and so well done...

Why were they interviewed then if they felt that way? They don't think that now? .

Because thats exactly what spike lee has said about mj. playing right into the white medias agenda without having the marbles to realise it. its kinda ironic for someone whos seen as been i guess pro black power? he certainly gets brainwashed easily enough to be turned against his own

where about in the docu do they show the p.c and reactions. one to fast forward though

I think this was very powerful...Look who we have lost, look at the effect this amazing, genius man has on people :cry:

Yeah^^ I don't want to sound sexist, but there is something about a man crying that really grips me. Men are taught they should not cry, so when one cries you get the feeling that, that is a very deep emotion there.

Because thats exactly what spike lee has said about mj. playing right into the white medias agenda without having the marbles to realise it. its kinda ironic for someone whos seen as been i guess pro black power? he certainly gets brainwashed easily enough to be turned against his own

where about in the docu do they show the p.c and reactions. one to fast forward though

Do you think they regret that now? I am sorry what do you mean by p.c?

Bringing up his death threw me off too. I was so into the documentary and then boom there it was. I thought it was touching their reactions. These were people that actually knew and spent a lot of time with him. I cried right till the end after that.

Do you think they regret that now? I am sorry what do you mean by p.c?

Maybe they regret it now, but back then they did not have the backbone to do their own research, but fed into what was being reported in the larger media. If they now realize that they lynched an innocent man with their words, ink, and actions, then that is all good.

Maybe they regret it now, but back then they did not have the backbone to do their own research, but fed into what was being reported in the larger media. If they now realize that they lynched an innocent man with their words, ink, and actions, then that is all good.

The way the lady said "shame on us" really got my attention. I just wish things would have been differently and Michael treated better.

Back