Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

What the media give with one hand they snatch back with the other!

I don't remember them taking a similar approach with Paul Simon's Graceland, they were just happy to celebrate that amazing album without degrading another aspect of his career or the follow-up albums. Why is there always an agenda when it comes to MJ?

It's all that racism stuff that Vogel talks about. I never really gave it much credence until I read a lot of his evidence. Astounding in this day and age.

It's all that racism stuff that Vogel talks about. I never really gave it much credence until I read a lot of his evidence. Astounding in this day and age.

To be honest I don't believe it has any link to racism at all but everything to do with MJ's image.

He wasn't normal, he did unusual things, he actively supported a 'strange' image for years and the media reported it. Unfortunately that strange image, although it secured column inches, in the end it got our of control and it ruined his credibility, and in many peoples eyes he became a joke. He never managed to shift that image. It has got to the point where it seems strange if you give MJ his dues for anything other than 'Thriller' and 'Bad'. They ignore the fact that Dangerous was just as successful sales-wise (globally) and was supported by a record-breaking world tour. They forget that HIStory produced record-breaking singles (Scream and YANA) in the USA, and in the UK at least produced MJ's most successful single (Earth Song - 7 weeks at #1!). No, instead the UK media would rather report that BAD was his last good/successful/credible album.
I'm gonna make sure the people at the BBC hear these points when they start their lousy marketing campaign, but unfortunately it'll probably be too late to change the printed descriptions submitted to TV magazines and newspapers.

^^ I think in Germany too Earth Song was his most successful single EVER! More successful than Billie Jean or anything from Thriller.

The media blantently lieing inorder to belittle mjs success has nothing to do with mjs action and everything to do with the medias agenda to re write history when it comes to mj.talk about blaming the victim The facts are the facts when it comes to mjs sales.wearing a mask or having a pet chimp cannot change that.yet time and time again over many years the media have tried to downplay his success by reducing the sales of his albums in articles or calling sales of an album that presley madonna etc could only dream of as a flop. what other artist gets treated like mj does either as an artist or on a personal level.whether its racism or not who knows but it is a blatent agenda against mj and an attempt to down play his success

It is airing tomorrow:girl_pride:

Please can someone keep on tab how it affect on sales for BAD 25, like Amazon.com and if there is other major place where they selling albums. It would be interesting to see. I can keep eye on UK amazon when it airs here.

Spike Lee is GREAT !!

And the MJ t-shirt he wears is great!!

Spike Lee is such a wonderful man!

I am VERY excited to watch Spike Lee's Documentary...cannot wait to see Michael shine..

Exclusive Excerpt: Inside the Making of Michael Jackson's Bad Album
Posted: 11/21/2012 10:46 am

On Thanksgiving night, the world will get a glimpse of Michael Jackson they have never seen before when Spike Lee's Michael Jackson: Bad 25 makes its television premier (ABC, 9:30pm EST). What follows is an exclusive excerpt from Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson, which was used as a resource for Bad 25 and comprehensively explores the artist's entire solo career -- from 1979's Off the Wall to 2001's Invincible. The excerpt below comes from the third chapter, dedicated to Jackson's highly-anticipated follow-up to Thriller, the Bad album.

2011-11-09-MJMattForger.1987.small.jpg

MJ in the studio circa 1987. Picture courtesy of ©Matt Forger. Used by permission.

Michael Jackson began work on what would become the Bad album in 1985. Three years had lapsed since the release of Thriller, and fans were waiting anxiously for the sequel. Following the most successful record in the history of the music industry, however, was not an enviable task.

Jackson added to the pressure, writing a note on his bathroom mirror that said simply: "100 million." That was his aim for Bad -- more than double the sales (at the time) of Thriller. With this ambitious goal in mind, he went to work.

In the early stages, he would simply go into his home studio at Hayvenhurst with musicians and engineers such as Matt Forger, John Barnes, or Bill Bottrell and work on ideas. Jackson called it "the laboratory." Here, he recorded dozens of 48-track demos in a variety of styles. It was a space that allowed him more freedom and spontaneity to pursue creative ideas.

Eventually a bit of a rift developed between what became known as the B-Team working with Jackson at his home studio and Quincy Jones's A-Team at Westlake Studios. "Michael was growing and wanted to experiment free of the restrictions of the Westlake scene," explained producer Bill Bottrell. "That's why he got me and John Barnes to work at his home studio for a year and a half, on and off. We would program, twiddle, and build the tracks for much of that album, send the results on two-inch down to Westlake and they would, at their discretion, rerecord, and add things like strings and brass. This is how MJ started to express his creative independence, like a teenager leaving the nest."

Many of the songs the B-Team worked on were practically finished before they reached Westlake. "He was able to take some finished demos into the 'real' studio with Quincy and that was his way of getting more say [in how they were produced]," recalls Bill Bottrell.

In late 1986, recording finally began in earnest at brand new Studio D at Westlake, where Jackson continued to work with many of the same key players from Off the Wall and Thriller, including recording engineer Bruce Swedien and keyboardist Greg Phillinganes.

Quincy Jones, meanwhile, continued to act as producer, though he and Jackson didn't always work together as smoothly as they had in the past. It was clear to everyone around Jackson that he was evolving and gaining more and more creative confidence and control as an artist (he would write nine of the eleven songs included on Bad, plus numerous others that didn't make it onto the record). This led to some collisions on production and song choices, as well as on the album's overall aesthetic vision.

"[Quincy and I] disagreed on some things," Jackson recalled. "There was a lot of tension because we felt we were competing with ourselves. It's very hard to create something when you feel like you're in competition with yourself."

In spite of the pressure and high expectations, most who worked on the album remember the atmosphere in the studio as one of "love" and "camaraderie" -- a creative climate attributed to both Jones and Jackson. Bruce Swedien recalls a tradition Jackson started called "Family Night," in which all the family members and friends of the studio crew were invited on Fridays to dinner in the studio prepared by Jackson's cooks, Catherine Ballard and Laura Raynor (affectionately nicknamed the "slam-dunk sisters"). Assistant engineer Russ Ragsdale remembers Jackson doodling all the time in the studio; he also remembers him enjoying getting out for a break. "On a few occasions," recalls Ragsdale, "Michael would want to get out of the studio for a bit. At the time I had a big full-sized Ford pickup truck with tinted windows. Michael loved riding in that truck and got real excited because he was able to sit so much higher off the ground than his Mercedes. We tried our best to just treat Michael like a regular guy. We didn't go out of our way too much."

As with Thriller, hundreds of songs were considered for Bad. From these, Jackson and Jones whittled down the list. "Fifty percent of the battle is trying to figure out which songs to record," Jones remarked. "It's total instinct. You have to go with the songs that touch you, that get the goosebumps going."

According to Rolling Stone, "Jackson had 62 songs written and wanted to release 33 of them as a triple album, until [Quincy] Jones talked him down." This trimming down led to some excellent tracks being left on the cutting room floor, including "Streetwalker" (which Jackson preferred, but was talked out of by Jones in favor of "Another Part of Me"), "Fly Away" (a beautiful, melodic mid-tempo ballad), and "Cheater" (a funky, gritty rhythm track), among others.

Once the songs were chosen for recording, the objective was creating sounds the "ear hadn't heard." Jackson didn't want to duplicate Thriller, or other music on the radio, for that matter. He wanted to innovate sonically. "Michael's vision [is] to start making a record by creating totally new fresh sounds that have never been heard before," explained Russ Ragsdale. "For Bad this was achieved with synth stacks filling up the entire large tracking room taking up every available space, as well as the largest Synclavier in the world at the time operated by Chris Currell. ... It took over 800 multitrack tapes to create Bad; each song was a few hundred tracks of audio." For the rhythm tracks in particular, Jackson wanted fresh drum sounds that would really hit. Swedien recorded them on 16-track tape as he did on Thriller, but then transferred them to digital, retaining that "fat, analog rhythm, sound" Jackson loved. Jones called it "big legs and tight skirts."

In the end, Jackson and Jones were in the studio for more than a year. "A lot of people are so used to just seeing the outcome of work," Jackson reflected. "They never see the side of the work you go through to produce the outcome." As deadlines came and passed, however, frustration mounted. Quincy Jones reportedly walked away from the project for a time when he discovered Jackson had snuck into the studio and altered some tracks. Epic executives kept pushing to wrap up the record, but Jackson couldn't bring himself to release the album until it was "ready." "A perfectionist has to take his time," he explained. "He shapes and molds and sculpts that thing until it's perfect. He can't let it go before he's satisfied; he can't."

Excerpted from MAN IN THE MUSIC: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson by Joseph Vogel, by Sterling Publishing Co., Copyright © 2011 by Joseph Vogel. All rights reserved.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-bad-25_b_2165698.html

I can't wait till tomorrow. I can't wait to get the dvd too. Dangerous, History and Invincible will get it's due in time. Bad is getting it's due now when back then people just talked about Thrilller as Michael's success. People can try to rewrite history but too many people know the truth. I have to believe that.

Spike Lee talking about Bad 25 on Canadian show Studio Q:

Wow that's the BEST in detail inteview I heard Spike do. Jian Ghomeshi asked some great questions.

Thank you everyone for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary tomorrow.
I should be full of Thanksgiving dinner by the time it starts and I'll giving thanks for seeing another year.

Am I the only one who still have a VCR? Lol!

Thank you everyone for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary tomorrow.
I should be full of Thanksgiving dinner by the time it starts and I'll giving thanks for seeing another year.

I still have one :ninja:

All you US peeps are so lucky! I'm hoping it's uploaded on youtube and I manage to catch it before it's taken down again :p Feb is too long to wait!

I still have a VCR too lol.

Wow that's the BEST in detail inteview I heard Spike do. Jian Ghomeshi asked some great questions.

:yes: Indeed! :clapping:

I'm so exited for you guys who will see Bad 25 today:wild:
Cannot wait read your reception to it, as well read from papers how it was taken, so exciting:clapping:

I have to wait until 1st December, but I don't mind as long as I know I will see it someday :timer:

After Bad 25 I can start waiting for Dangerous 25 with all the goodies to go with:woohoo:

After seeing Spike Lee's interview on the previous page, I started thinking of what kind of Oscar speech he gives after he wins Documentaries category:D

Last edited:

in the 2 hour 15 time slot in the UK are they showing an edited performance of Wembley too? or the full documentary? :D

I still have VCR/DVD. I got the VHS labelled and ready to go.

in the 2 hour 15 time slot in the UK are they showing an edited performance of Wembley too? or the full documentary? :D

The Radio Times lists the timeslot as "Michael Jackson: BAD25" and the description says "Spike Lee's documentary assessing and celebrating Michael Jackson's 1987 release Bad, which spawned five consecutive US number one singles. Featuring interviews conducted by Lee himself with those involved in the making of the album, the accompanying videos and the tour, with contributions by Martin Scorsese, Walter Yetnikoff, Kanye West, CeeLo Green and Sheryl Crow"
There's no reference to the concert so I don't think there's any reason to think they will show it, which leaves more time for the documentary!
The USA version has been edited down substantially and I think the German version was edited to be shorter than this too (although I haven't seen it so I could be wrong!)

How wonderful would it be if all interviewer asked intelligent questions like this one...

Can someone tell me the UK time of the ABC airing?

Would it be 2:30am? If it is on 9:30 NY time, then it is 2:30 UK time (I think:))

I forgot that I have the ability to record to my computer the HD broadcast.

I can tape it and upload it in 2000 Watts, unless someone beats me to it within the next 24 hours.

I've had my PVR set to record for the last few days :D

Back