Stevie Wonder remakes/samples appreciation thread

helena22

Proud Member
I know there is a long thread dedicated to Stevie Wonder, but this one is for remakes and samples of his music.

Share your favorite(s) and if possible, let us know what makes them stand out.

I think I've heard quite a lot of remakes and samples so far and I can say, most of 'em are decent. It goes to show that the originals are too amazing to be destroyed through remakes and samples.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me start off with one of the latest remakes:

Golden Lady --- Reel People ft. Tony Momrelle

This is the first sample that came to mind. Will Smith sampling Stevie Wonder's "I Wish."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEaX4ApC_EU
Yeah, when the song came out, it instantly became my jam.
Didn't know I Wish was sampled at that time, but soon after I started digging Stevie Wonder albums. The song's success owes a lot to the sampling. Sisquo was singing his behind off, as well.

another example : Visions sample
Visions

I'll Do Anything/I'm Sorry - Ginuwine

White Bricks - Trae

I remember a UK band called Blue released a cover of Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours that featured Stevie himself:

Stevie is one of my favourites!

I remember a UK band called Blue released a cover of Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours that featured Stevie himself:

Stevie is one of my favourites!
Yep, I too remember. They did a decent job.
The original is still a whole lot better, tho. You can tell he was on fire!

Oh, another video where Stevie appears with the artists who did a remake:
Ribbon In The Sky - Intro
They were chopping it up at the beginning :)
All the group members looked star-struck and happy.

Found one of the latest remakes again!:wild:

http://www.soulbounce.com/soul/index.php?page=4
Chris Turner & Steve McKie 'Seem' Just Right On This Stevie Remake
It takes some major cajones even consider touching a Stevie Wonder song. Although many have tried, there have been only a handful of successful attempts that I can recall. And thanks to this studio clip of Chris Turner giving Stevie's "Seems So Long" a whirl, there's one more redux to add to my short but sweet list. Turner and producer extraordinaire Steve McKie unite on this fluid rendition of the gem. It isn't Turner's first go-round covering a Wonder classic; "Rocket Love" regularly finds itself into his set list and he paid homage to Earth Day last year with his version of "Feeding Off the Love of the Land." While nothing will ever top a Stevie Wonder original, Turner does it justice with his effortless vocals. Does this mean we're one step closer to a full release? I sure hope so. Until then, teasers like this will have to do.

[youtube]76PiLoypkyw[/youtube]
Wow! I'm blown away :wild: I'm sure I'll be listening to this one a lot from now on.

For me, nothing can top this remake, tho.
Superwoman --- Donny Hathaway
He def. took it to the next level.
Just about the only Stevie Wonder remake that surpasses the original, IMO.

not my personal favorites, but...

I'm sure somebody out there dig either of these two versions.
Back then I enjoyed listening to it through My Love Is Your Love album.

I Was Made To Love Him - Whitney Houston
(produced by Lauryn Hill)

I like this version better than Whitney's.

I Was Made To Love Her - Michael Jackson

I Was Made To Love Her [the original]

Raul Midon & Herbie Hancock - I Just Called To Say I Love You

Last edited:
[youtube]UiXIQq5oL94[/youtube]
Wow, another wow remake :wild:
Thanks for posting!
I've seen a few other clips from the tribute show, but nothing beats this.
I knew, from the title, there would be a whole lot of flipping the original, but this is really beautifully done. Not taking too much away from the original melody.

I was curious to see Stevie's reaction.
Looks like he was studying it and enjoying it a lot :)
You can just tell by his facial expression that this isn't just another ordinary remake session.
He showed the similar reaction when James Ingram and Kathleen Battle performed They Won't Go When I Go. I believe it was at the same show.

Now it's my turn. This time, another brilliant track that sampled Stevie Wonder.
I'm sure some of yall have heard this song.

Retrospect for Life - Common ft. Lauryn Hill
[
sampled Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer]
I love the original and she did it justice.

[youtube]IVV0KU42TJY&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]aWnAnLUJHTs&feature=related[/youtube]

I like John Legend but this time I think I prefer Incognito's version :happy:

@ Word Smith Sr : They did their thing.
The parts they changed up the original melodies, they all flow natural. They don't sound awkward or contrived. You know, sometimes you do a cover and it sounds like you going over the top to change something somehow and it's goin nowhere.

@ TarinJade : Thanks for the Stevie clip. Rare...not?
Glad Mike got to remake the song, which is not one of the most popular remake materials.
With all due respect to the original and the man behind it, I'd choose MJ's version anyday everyday.

@ lucilla : I like the Incognito's version better, too.
Better instrumentation & better vocal.
I've heard John Legend's several times before, but it's blah.
After all, it ain't that easy to butcher up the classic tune, but it ain't that easy to make it your own and give it a different flavor, either. His version is not wack at all, but it's because it holds on to the original elements.

@ lucilla : I like the Incognito's version better, too.
Better instrumentation & better vocal.
I've heard John Legend's several times before, but it's blah.
After all, it ain't that easy to butcher up the classic tune, but it ain't that easy to make it your own and give it a different flavor, either. His version is not wack at all, but it's because it holds on to the original elements.

Exactly what I thought.
Even though I love Legend's vocals the instrumentation didn't convince me.

one of my all time favourite is lately.
another one is my cherie amour.

Who else digs this performance?
I wish they'd remade it for their album, like they did Lately.

If they chose the song themselves, extra kudos to them.
This is one of my favorite SW songs ever! It's his way of sending out his message to soothe your soul.
I believe, right now, there's somebody out there going through something and getting comfort from the song.

* If you know any other artist's version, please let me know!!!

You Will Know (live) --- Stevie Wonder, Jodeci, Mary J.Blige

Tonight : Stevie Wonder Receiving Icon Honor at Billboard Music Awards

2076469-stevie-wonder-bbma-660-bbma-article.jpg

This year's Billboard Icon Award is going to legendary singer, songwriter and producer Stevie Wonder. The honor will be presented at the 2012 Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, which airs live May 20 on ABC at 8 p.m. ET from the MGM Grand Arena.

With memberships in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Wonder is one of the most celebrated artists in popular music history. Since bursting onto the scene in 1963 at age 13 with the chart-topping hit "Fingertips (Pt. 2)," Wonder has amassed 32 No. 1 singles and released a string of iconic albums including "Songs in the Key of Life," "Talking Book" and "Music of My Mind."

Wonder follows in the footsteps of fellow legend Neil Diamond, who was given the Icon Award at the 2011 ceremony. Hosted by Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell of the ABC hit comedy "Modern Family," the BBMAs will also have a star-studded roster of presenters this year. Brandy and Monica, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sara Ramirez, Wiz Khalifa and Lil Wayne join previously announced presenters Taio Cruz, Gavin DeGraw, Gladys Knight, Julianne Hough, Natasha Bedingfield and Jeremy Sisto, along with musical acts Kelly Clarkson, Linkin Park, Nelly Furtado, Usher, CeeLo Green, Carrie Underwood, Justin Bieber, LMFAO and The Wanted.

Adele, LMFAO, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne are the leading finalists for awards. Adele takes the lead as a finalist in 18 award categories, while LMFAO is a finalist in 17 categories. Rihanna lands in 13 categories this year, after leading the pack with 18 category appearances in 2011. Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne each snagged a spot in 10 categories. See a full list of finalists here.

http://www.billboard.com/bbma/news/stevie-wonder-icon-award-billboard-music-awards

Back