Stories in the Room: Michael Jackson's Thriller Album

the intro for ‘beat it’ is my least favourite part of the song. it fills me with dread when it comes on. I guess the whole point is to set the mood and prepare the listener for the danger that awaits? I don’t mind interpolations, but if Michael did in fact directly sample that portion, he should have given the rightful credit.

the intro for ‘beat it’ is my least favourite part of the song. it fills me with dread when it comes on. I guess the whole point is to set the mood and prepare the listener for the danger that awaits? I don’t mind interpolations, but if Michael did in fact directly sample that portion, he should have given the rightful credit.
Is ‘dread’ really the word you want here?

It’s quite something!
Who came up with that amazing beat? Was it all John Barnes? Such a unique sound and they way MJ sings it is so different from the style he had on OTW and Thriller. Those sessions must have been so amazing and magical I can only imagine😩.

These are the kind of things the estate should support! Not silly documentaries with a bunch of celebs that had no hand in creating the albums! I LOVE detail like this, with the people who were actually there.

the documentaries that michael himself produced during his lifetime, contained celebrity ‘talking heads’. of course, they also featured collaborators, but they weren’t overly technical.

the ones that came post ‘09 are simply following that blueprint.

besides, the ‘off the wall’ documentary featured Greg phillinganes, gamble & huff, stevie wonder, patti austin, members of his family, and former manager and head of the record label. all of whom were important players in michael’s career at that time. I’m probably missing some. it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it.

based on what leaked last year, the ‘thriller’ one will be even better; michael’s previously unheard thoughts narrating his own story, studio footage of michael and paul mccartney recording ‘the girl is mine’, behind the scenes of the short films, high quality footage from the ‘victory’ tour.. i couldn’t ask for more. I think it will be the definitive documentary of that era, and I can’t wait.

people are well within their rights to disagree with me, but I will not be bullied again for actually looking forward to an upcoming project.

Michael used a frog for the bass????????

I think I love this man even more now, because, FROGS ARE SO DANG CUTE!!!

Ok, that is super cool! I've always noticed that distinct sound in Thriller since I was a kid and I don't know if I've heard it anywhere or in any other song out there.
I love how they mentioned that the choreographers picked that up for the zombie dance and how it really punctuated their movements, very, very cool and so MJish.
Just love these little tidbits.

Last edited:
Now I want to know if the sound starting at 4:47 in SC is a chirping cricket lol:

Back